Read-only
Total: 304
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@rosends
--> @ethang5
The definition of terms establishes parameters and limits scope of a question. Without the agreement as to what words mean and refer to, there can be no conclusion drawn.

Once words are agreed upon, a good way to advance understanding is to test claims by extending and expanding them and asking about the intended consequences. By whittling away wrong ideas, we move towards agreed upon right ideas. Questions are like whittling away wood. Each moves closer to a point, but more immediately, forces one to turn the wood, and ask from another angle.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@secularmerlin
@rosends

definition of terms establishes parameters and limits scope of a question.
Not with SecMer. There are no limits to his questioning.

Once words are agreed upon, a good way to advance understanding is to test claims by extending and expanding them and asking about the intended consequences.
Only SecMer doesn't answer questions. Oh, he responds to them, and will tell you what other people think of them, but will rarely answer them. I have never seen him answer questions about the consequences of his arguments.

Questions are like whittling away wood. Each moves closer to a point, but more immediately, forces one to turn the wood, and ask from another angle.
At some point, if whittling doesn't stop, one runs out of wood

Couldn't have said it better myself.
No, you couldn't have, hardly anyone on this site could have.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@ethang5
hardly anyone on this site could have.
<br>
Well at least we agree on this.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@secularmerlin
We do. Rosends is not only very intelligent, he/she is an excellent writer. His/her posts  and logic are a joy to read.

He/she debated Athias in another thread and I tingled with anticipation because Athias is another very intelligent member with near English professor level writing skills. It was a good skirmish. I wish we could see more debates between the two of them.