moderation already sucks

Author: thett3

Total: 47
Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
i say we do it like the old days

moderation is almost completely inactive, only on to ban members who receive more than three reports in a 24 hour period with no trial or chance of returning
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@ethang5
 It is libel.
To be clear, personal attacks against moderators and admins will not be enforced, except in cases of (a) plausible and serious threats and (b) cases of sustained hate speech in the form of slurs. Moderators will also taken action against those who attempt or succeed in (a) doxxing them or the admin and (b) violating the privacy of their or the admin's PMs. In other words, moderators are pretty fair game for insults; that is because, by volunteering for this kind of "public" office, we have chosen to open ourselves to heightened scrutiny and criticism. 

This applies to assistant moderators only to the extent that personal attacks arising from the execution of their moderation duties will not be penalized or acted upon. Personal attacks outside of this context made against assistant moderators will still be actionable for moderation.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
I was trying to sound like a Russian bot on the comments section of a Yahoo article (though, I guess they're no more likely to be bots than the people who say "Trumpanzees").
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
Trump arranged Russian real human agents as well as American ones to sit all day on multiple accounts and military-grade VPNs in order to trick Google and FB into letting them mass account and influence others via likes, comments and subscription count. They posted actual human-written content with real time PMs to 'friends' too, it was no small feat and not just bots.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@bsh1
OK. You're a mod so you can do that. But...

1. It was not a mod he accused, it was the site owner.
2. Accusations like that, being illegal IRL, can have implications outside the board
3. It's kind of self-defeating to the CoC. I can insult you the mod, but not some random member?
4. I agree mods can choose to overlook some insult or attack against him, but does not lose any of the rights other members have. Thus, a mod can sanction an attack against him if he so chooses, even if he needs to complain to the other mod to get it done. There is no reason why mods should be fair game.
5. I think most members will be less inclined to take mods seriously if some loser can insult them any way he likes with no consequence.

But carry on. It is your call, and a brave one.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@ethang5
It was not a mod he accused, it was the site owner.
In this respect, I am going to treat the site owner like the moderators.

Accusations like that, being illegal IRL
Libel is not a crime, it is tort. Besides, in a US court, that would not pass the basic standard for libel. It's such a ridiculous assertion that no one would believe it true, and therefore is not actually injurious to the recipient. Moreover, it's not clear that any actual malice was at play. But whether it's libel or not (and it's probably not), that is not my job to adjudicate. My job is to enforce the COC, not the US legal code. If someone has a legal issue, they should seek a legal arbiter who can then approach me or the admin and then, on that basis, we can take appropriate action in order to comport with the law.

I think most members will be less inclined to take mods seriously if some loser can insult them any way he likes with no consequence
That wasn't the case with Airmax (who had a similar policy) and I doubt it will be the case here. Usually the mod powers are enough grounds to take mods seriously.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Vaarka
i say we do it like the old days

moderation is almost completely inactive, only on to ban members who receive more than three reports in a 24 hour period with no trial or chance of returning
Dude I didn't know you tell horror stories.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@bsh1
That wasn't the case with Airmax (who had a similar policy)
The behavior and number of the trolls on the site sharply contradict this.

But you have a right to your opinion. Good luck.

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
That wasn't the case with Airmax (who had a similar policy)
The behavior and number of the trolls on the site sharply contradict this.

But you have a right to your opinion. Good luck.
It's clear to me that people who knew airmax more personally had a very different forum experience than those of us who did not know him so personally. Especially in the case of senior DDO members who were there through the older eras of the site. I was a johnny-come-lately who only showed up in the last few years, so I don't have that sense of history and familiarity.

I know I wouldn't think less of any moderator for ignoring unfounded insults.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@bsh1
This is one of many personal attacks instigated by the ethang and I request action from the mods. This is accusing me of doing "something" unspecified but detrimental to the site, this has to stop.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@bsh1
Personal attacks outside of this context made against assistant moderators will still be actionable for moderation.
What about Ethans constant barrage of personal attacks, will they be dealt with action?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Goldtop
I am not going to comment on specific cases or potential moderation action against other users.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
What the hell is wrong with you guys.. if someone trolls you, call them out, and then ignore them. They will post a handful of "wha wha's" and then you'll never hear from them again.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Greyparrot
Are you making a personal attack by claiming someone is a troll, I think you may need to be very careful in the future.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@disgusted
You need to be careful identifying verbs and nouns.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Greyparrot
Lol!!

Jeepers, I would follow you just for the quality of your comeback quips.

Ouch.

66 days later

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
bumping this