How is oromagi undefeated?

Author: Alec

Total: 50
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@User_2006
If you want help with debating, let me know. Even I only very recently refined my craft enough to be very hard to defeat, I was pretty beatable for most of my time here. It takes a lot of refining of your technique and things like that.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@PressF4Respect
Are you saying that because noob sniping isn't expressly stated as immoral in the CoC (or any other overarching principle that would supersede the CoC), it shouldn't be considered immoral?
no
Here's the problem. Many newbies don't know how to properly define expectations, rules, and definitions in a way that closes any potential loopholes (which predatory debaters [not naming names here] would be more than happy to exploit).
I don't know how to define a debate in a way that closes any potential loopholes either.  I guess that puts me and the newbies in the same basket.
It can also set a bad precedent for those on the receiving end of this, as they could possibly develop the psyche that in order to win, they must target those lower than them and squish them like bugs in their arguments. They could go on to base their debate strategy entirely around hunting for noobs instead of debating those who can actually provide a good argument. This wouldn't benefit the debater at all. Rather, crushing lowlier debaters would only inflate their ego and give them a sense of false intellect. I don't doubt the educational benefits and high expectations that it can provide, but we cannot ignore the potential downsides that noob sniping could incur.
Figurative language aside, there is no other way to climb the leaderboards. 

• Of the 307 debaters who have participated in at least one debate, only 105 have a winning record (>1500)
    • Of these, I have debated 14, more than any other user except RM (who I have debated 3 times)
    • 12 have been banned and further 43 have fewer than 3 debates
  • I don't want to spend all day counting, so let's take the top 30 debaters on the leaderboards and eliminate the 12 who have not initiated or accepted any debates in 2020. 
    • Of these 18,  I've already debated six, let's take those off the table
    • Of the remaining 12, there are six debaters who are so much better than me that I give myself almost no shot to beat, let's take those off the table
      • The remaining six have generated a total of 17 debates in 2020, 7 of which are truisms, god exists or abortion debates.
      • That leaves an avg of one debate every 16 days.  Let's assume that half of those get accepted before I have a chance to see them- one debate every 32 that I have an opportunity to accept.  Of these, let's generously offer that 1 in 10 are on a topic that is interesting to me and that I can think of a solid argument against.  That's gives me one debate a year.
    • So, if I just stuck to the top 30 debaters at 2020 activity levels,  I'd probably be accepting about one debate per year.
  • I accept way more debates than I make but every debate I've made on this site has had a rating minimum of 1500+ or better.  That is, I've never allowed a user with a losing record to accept a debate I've made.  New users (who start at 1500) are welcome, even encouraged but I'm not going patronize a new user with softball arguments.
Personally, I'd like to hit 100 debates this years.  I'm going to try for 100-0 but I think the odds of getting there are almost nil.  Its just a natural dynamic that the longer the winning streak, the greater the number and momentum of factors resist. If I just stick to top 30 debaters, I'm something like 20 years out from 100 at present activity levels.  If I just stick to winning debaters with more than 3 debates, I'm something like 10 years out.

If we call <3 debates a noobie, 195 users (64%) are noobies

The 30 lowest ranked debaters have participated in 625 (52%) of all debates on this site.

I just can't reconcile being an active, winning debater on this site with also being a debater who only sticks to talented and experienced debaters. 

You are essentially asking me to substantially reduce my activity level and also to pursue a losing strategy to set a better example for noobies but I want noobies to be active, winning debaters
  • which means selecting opponents that you are more likely to beat
    • which means accepting a fair number of crap debates and new user debates
The more activity this site has, the less valid this argument becomes but even on DDO (as we discussed above), most of the highly ranked debaters took on plenty of crap debaters and noobs.

I'll accept the inflated ego and false intellect critiques as warranted.

Using lofty arguments and flexing your intellectual might doesn't benefit them in the slightest,
Disagree.  As I said above, I think setting a higher level of expectation encourages debaters to improve performance and improves the reputation of this site beyond the usual debate site standard-  which  effectively amounts to "mostly trolls howling past one another"

and extracting personal benefit from that is selfish by definition. 
Agreed but not all selfish acts are immoral and many selfish acts are also moral, even if the motivation is tainted.

There is a chance for real harm. If someone created debates just to have them noob sniped, then they would begin to wonder what the point of creating a debate is. That could turn them away from DART, and potentially away from debating as a whole.
Sorry, I am not a "safe spaces," participant trophy kind of guy.  I want my fellow debaters to be able to take a punch without quitting and I don't mind helping to weed out those who can't.

In fact, this was explicitly listed as a concern by the DDO Wiki.
I don't think its not a legitimate concern individually, I just don't think the weight of that concern is greater than improving the site overall.

Let's note:
  • DDO wiki was not DDO.
  • I think 9SpaceKing is the founder of that Wiki (he is certainly one of the 5 admins and the one who wrote the welcome page and promoted it on DDO), so I think the proper context is less about any authentic concern and more about Ore_Ele trolling a fellow top debater.
I agree that winning is the product of greater effort if the person exerting that effort knows how to do so properly, which, being new to the site, you wouldn't expect them to do.
So your plan is to teach newcomers that low effort can win debates by isolating lower efforts from higher efforts.  What are the benefits in your plan?  What will motivate newcomers to improve their efforts using your plan?  Personally, I have seen a greater proportion of good effort arguments from first time debaters than from experienced debaters, many of whom prefer to drop any serious challenge.

Does this mitigate the advantage of actually knowing how to properly debate online? No.
Nor should it.  If people who know how to debate don't have an appreciable advantage over people who don't know how to debate then wtf is the point of practicing to gain experience?  What is the advantage of insulating a group of new users who don't know how to debate from loss?  Your answer seems to be that they'll stick around longer but you don't seem to have a plan for teaching them how to 'properly' debate.  Again, you seem to be arguing for degradation of quality and decreased engagement.

There is also a very good case for not pitting a beer league hockey team against an NHL one. 
Sure, but we are all in one small beer league here.  None of us are being paid and most of us are drunk.  Should the Angry Beavers abstain from playing the Beached Whalers just because the Beavers were undefeated last year and the Whalers are new?  If the Whalers only play other new teams when do they learn what level of effort and talent is needed to beat the Beavers?  In the best sports movies, the newcomer always gets slapped down by a top team before discovering what they need to do to overcome and achieve victory. 

With your plan, the Halifax Highlanders hire an enforcer who already knows how to skate and Doug the Thug stays a bouncer.
With your plan, Apollo Creed fights Frazier and Rocky remains a debt collector. 
With your plan, the Cobra Kai sticks to black belts and Danny LaRusso  never learns the crane technique

Where's the morality in that?

F

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@User_2006
--> @oromagi
So, one reason my ranking was below 1500 was that I debate with good debaters like Fauxlaw and RM too much? 
Sure, but you are already twenty times better at debating than you were 8 weeks ago.  I am confident you will kick all our asses in the future.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@User_2006
The nice thing about debating skilled opponents is you learn more, faster. The metric for the scoreboard means that you lose less points by being defeated by Oromagi than by another lower level debater. The reverse is also true. If you do defeat a high level opponent, you will get a much higher score and they will lose more points.
The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

*Disclaimer: I don't know for sure if that's how scores are calculated, but my experience has been that your relative ranking with your opponent, as well as the relative margins of voted points, will affect your points fairly drastically. Anyone with more knowledge should definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a debate with Oromagi a long while ago. It was the only debate I've ever felt handily trumped in, and after I conceded I altered my debate strategy to involve more research. I was 15 myself at the time, so still older than you. You will have plenty of room to improve in the future.
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
-->
@K_Michael
Another funny thing I want to tell: I once won a debate with Alec, one of the smartest teenagers on the site(Other than Trent and you) with almost 1600 ranking, but my dumb ass set the debate on unranking mode so I can't make any benefits on it. Still a great discussion. 
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@oromagi
Before we continue, I must highlight a distinction between what you are talking about and noob sniping. What you seem to be implying with your response is that I believe that ALL Pro-Newbie debate interactions constitute noob sniping. This is not what noob sniping is, nor is it what I am arguing. It is paramount to note that, in regards to the learning process, there are two main parts to a debate. One is the debate itself, and the other is the feedback that the debaters receive after the debate (on what they did well, what they could improve on, etc). The interaction itself isn't what makes noob sniping bad. What makes it morally repugnant in my eyes is the lack of feedback that the new debater receives from the experienced one after they are finished. Instead of teaching the noob what they could improve on, the noob sniper will simply milk them for wins without providing any constructive criticism whatsoever. Just like having your face smashed into a locker by a bully doesn't teach you self-defence, noob sniping doesn't teach the noob how to properly debate. Instead, it turns them into the noob sniper's punching bag. This is the key difference between regular Pro-Noob debates and noob snipes. 

Are you saying that because noob sniping isn't expressly stated as immoral in the CoC (or any other overarching principle that would supersede the CoC), it shouldn't be considered immoral?
no
Then what did you mean by:
Okay, but do you think noob sniping is ok, morally?
Well,  yes.  The most relevant framework is the DebateArt.com Code of Conduct which places no restrictions on debates by relative experience.  I can't think of any overarching moral principle that might prohibit such engagement or over-ride the CoC.

I don't know how to define a debate in a way that closes any potential loopholes either.  I guess that puts me and the newbies in the same basket.
Yes, but you do understand how to build a debate in a way that benefits you, as you stated here:
If you are making a debate, always define terms, concepts and BoP to your advantage.

Figurative language aside, there is no other way to climb the leaderboards. 
The more activity this site has, the less valid this argument becomes
Your argument here is entirely contingent on circumstance, as well as your desire to have 100 debates. This does not make noob sniping morally okay.

but even on DDO (as we discussed above), most of the highly ranked debaters took on plenty of crap debaters and noobs.
This is an argumentum ad populum. Just because most of the highly ranked debaters did that doesn't automatically make it okay.

Disagree.  As I said above, I think setting a higher level of expectation encourages debaters to improve performance and improves the reputation of this site beyond the usual debate site standard-  which  effectively amounts to "mostly trolls howling past one another"
I agree. When noobs can learn something from the debates, they will know how to improve their arguments. That, in turn, will improve the community as a whole and raise the site's reputation.

Agreed but not all selfish acts are immoral and many selfish acts are also moral, even if the motivation is tainted.
Please explain how acting selfishly in the context of this issue is moral, even if the motivation is tainted.

Sorry, I am not a "safe spaces," participant trophy kind of guy.  I want my fellow debaters to be able to take a punch without quitting and I don't mind helping to weed out those who can't.
The problem with this is that in most cases, we aren't talking about noobs who only fall prey to noob sniping once. Rather, we are talking about cases where it happens over, and over, and over again. At some point, anyone in that situation would find it to be too much and leave the site.

I don't think its not a legitimate concern individually, I just don't think the weight of that concern is greater than improving the site overall.
How would noob sniping, as defined in the first paragraph of this post, improve the site (especially when weighed against the negatives)?

DDO wiki was not DDO.
Yes, but there would still have to be a legitimate concern in DDO for the Wiki to say that unless the Wiki author is completely lying.

I think 9SpaceKing is the founder of that Wiki (he is certainly one of the 5 admins and the one who wrote the welcome page and promoted it on DDO), so I think the proper context is less about any authentic concern and more about Ore_Ele trolling a fellow top debater.
This is speculative.

So your plan is to teach newcomers that low effort can win debates by isolating lower efforts from higher efforts? 
No, it's not. See paragraph #1 of this post.

What are the benefits in your plan?
"When noobs can learn something from the debates, they will know how to improve their arguments. That, in turn, will improve the community as a whole and raise the site's reputation."

What will motivate newcomers to improve their efforts using your plan?
Genuine feedback.

Nor should it.  If people who know how to debate don't have an appreciable advantage over people who don't know how to debate then wtf is the point of practicing to gain experience?
Sure. But with noob sniping, the noob doesn't gain practical experience. 

What is the advantage of insulating a group of new users who don't know how to debate from loss?
I don't know, because that isn't my point.

Your answer seems to be that they'll stick around longer but you don't seem to have a plan for teaching them how to 'properly' debate.
I do have a plan, namely, having the pros tell them how they can improve. 

Again, you seem to be arguing for degradation of quality and decreased engagement.
Again, no.

Sure, but we are all in one small beer league here.  None of us are being paid and most of us are drunk.  Should the Angry Beavers abstain from playing the Beached Whalers just because the Beavers were undefeated last year and the Whalers are new?  If the Whalers only play other new teams when do they learn what level of effort and talent is needed to beat the Beavers?  In the best sports movies, the newcomer always gets slapped down by a top team before discovering what they need to do to overcome and achieve victory. 

With your plan, the Halifax Highlanders hire an enforcer who already knows how to skate and Doug the Thug stays a bouncer.
With your plan, Apollo Creed fights Frazier and Rocky remains a debt collector. 
With your plan, the Cobra Kai sticks to black belts and Danny LaRusso  never learns the crane technique
Yes, but the newcomers learn as time goes on. The same can't be said for the victims of noob sniping. Also, movies are scripted.

So where's the morality in that?

F
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@oromagi
@PressF4Respect
Wanna debate on this subject? I don't want to scroll upwards to see everything I need. This as a debate is much better than being in the forums. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@PressF4Respect
-> @oromagi
Before we continue, I must highlight a distinction between what you are talking about and noob sniping. What you seem to be implying with your response is that I believe that ALL Pro-Newbie debate interactions constitute noob sniping. This is not what noob sniping is, nor is it what I am arguing. It is paramount to note that, in regards to the learning process, there are two main parts to a debate. One is the debate itself, and the other is the feedback that the debaters receive after the debate (on what they did well, what they could improve on, etc). The interaction itself isn't what makes noob sniping bad. What makes it morally repugnant in my eyes is the lack of feedback that the new debater receives from the experienced one after they are finished. Instead of teaching the noob what they could improve on, the noob sniper will simply milk them for wins without providing any constructive criticism whatsoever. Just like having your face smashed into a locker by a bully doesn't teach you self-defence, noob sniping doesn't teach the noob how to properly debate. Instead, it turns them into the noob sniper's punching bag. This is the key difference between regular Pro-Noob debates and noob snipes. 
Your re-defintion of "noob sniping," strikes me as a solely tactical attempt to reset terms.  I have never before seen any indication that the term includes some pedagogic component.  For example, the DDO Wiki definition you provided makes no mention that lack of feedback might be an essential element of  noob snipe.  That said, I'm not really one who keeps up  with the complex intercontexts of social media jargon so perhaps you can provide a few prior examples where "noob sniping" was  clearly defined as a question of training rather than merely critique of experience matching up vs inexperience.  Right now, I'm thinking "oh, F just wants so new ground in which to plant moral objection" which then makes me think, "I guess that means he bought my argument in the last post or else he'd be continuing those arguments rather than looking for new ones"

The good news is  that if you really meant this:

What makes it morally repugnant in my eyes is the lack of feedback that the new debater receives from the experienced one after they are finished.
Then as far as I can tell our website is fairly noopsnipe-free.  I would say that experienced users on this site do a far, far better job at offering feedback than any other debate website I've visited.   I count at least 13 times new users PM'd me for advice on good debating which I do a lot generally and sometimes specifically.  Look at the beginning of this topic where I tried to give some practical advice about winning.  Look at post #31 where our illustrious all-medal-er RationalMadman offers the benefit of his experience to a new user.  Look at Ragnar's docs on format and Kritik, the way he gently nudges noob debate topics for clarity or falsifiability.  If the moral concern here is truly lack of feedback (as you have newly posited) then I'm pretty encouraged by how little noob sniping can be found on this site.

The most relevant framework is the DebateArt.com Code of Conduct which places no restrictions on debates by relative experience.  I can't think of any overarching moral principle that might prohibit such engagement or over-ride the CoC.
Just what I say.  Perhaps it over-lawyerly of me to turn to the rulebook as a starting place for in-game moral questions but I  start with the rulebook for all in-game questions, moral or otherwise.  Then I note that one should think bigger picture than rulebooks before lauching into my pricipalistic approach to the question.  You have mis-read the sentence to mean CoC=moral.  Since I examine the moral question by four different criteria beginning in the very next sentence without any reliance on the Code of Conduct,  I'll lay that misunderstanding at your door for correction.

You are the one making oughts here, right?

IS:  You don't give noobs feedback
OUGHT:You ought not to noob snipe

Have I suggested some ought in this exchange?  Hume's Is-Ought Guillotine has no application to my defense.
Aren't you obligated to explain how lack of feedback amounts to some moral fault?

Yes, but you do understand how to build a debate in a way that benefits you, as you stated here:
If you are making a debate, always define terms, concepts and BoP to your advantage.
So, you've shifted your moral hockey puck to "lack of feedback" and then you've chosen to quote from a fairly long piece of advice I gave to fellow debaters just a few months back. Feedback by me that you've obviously read.  Maybe you ought to stick that puck another meter by changing your complaint to "not enough feedback, morally speaking"
Your argument here is entirely contingent on circumstance, as well as your desire to have 100 debates. This does not make noob sniping morally okay.
IS:  Your argument is selfish and circumstantial

Hume would ask, "What is the source of this knowledge?  How are we determining what's morally ok?"  Aren't you obligated to explain how setting goals and modifying approaches according to  circumstance amounts to some moral fault?

This is an argumentum ad populum. Just because most of the highly ranked debaters did that doesn't automatically make it okay.
Not automatically and that's hardly the whole of the argument but I think it 100% appropriate to be sensitive to site culture.  Learning and reinforcing site norms is an essential part of society building in the social media sense.
I agree. When noobs can learn something from the debates, they will know how to improve their arguments. That, in turn, will improve the community as a whole and raise the site's reputation.
So you concede the benefits of noob sniping as I described.  By non-response, you also seem to agree that noop-sniping does not violate noob autonomy.  You also seem to agree that  the harms are minor since the worst consequence you've identified so far is that a new user might not return to the site.  Of course, new users drift away the site pretty regularly, weekly at least, few of whom have ever engaged in a debate with an experienced user.  The harm is so minor that we can't really discern the spiping harm from the background radiation of ennui.
Please explain how acting selfishly in the context of this issue is moral, even if the motivation is tainted.
I already have POST #27.  You agreed that self-improvement and elevation of site quality were positive moral benefits.  This debater believes that practice and self-improvement in nearly any skill set is  a positive moral benefit.
The problem with this is that in most cases, we aren't talking about noobs who only fall prey to noob sniping once. Rather, we are talking about cases where it happens over, and over, and over again. At some point, anyone in that situation would find it to be too much and leave the site.
I defined noobs as <3 debaters which you have not protested.  So by the time the user gets to that third "over again" she is no longer a noob.  I have never seen a persistently poor debater who also demonstrated some interest in improving debate skills or even good faith engagement  with the argument.
How would noob sniping, as defined in the first paragraph of this post, improve the site (especially when weighed against the negatives)?
I have objected to the addition of "lack of feedback" as an important aspect of noob-sniping.  Further, I have argued that "lack of feedback" is less of a problem on this site than any other similar forum.  Again, I addressed the morality of noob-sniping in POST#27.  I have shown that the harms are minor and individual while the benefits are greater and collective.
Yes, but there would still have to be a legitimate concern in DDO for the Wiki to say that unless the Wiki author is completely lying.
Nope.  You'd have to show that Ore_Ele's wiki entry
This is speculative.
Yes.  I identified those sentences as speculation by beginning both sentences with "I think"   We know that DDO tacitly permitted noob-sniping because DDO added a 25 pt advantage to instigators as a counterweight to noob snipes and by placing many active noob snipers at the top of the leaderboard.  The ranking system was literally modified to accommodate noob sniping rather than any prohibition or exclusion or condemnation  of the practice.
...and my dismissal

When noobs can learn something from the debates, they will know how to improve their arguments. That, in turn, will improve the community as a whole and raise the site's reputation."
You are re-iterating my principle benefit from POST #27. 
Genuine feedback.
I think post #6 is a pretty good example of genuine feedback.  I think your new complaint is merit-less.

POST #34 refutes you.
It's not your new point in post #34 (lack of feedback) but it was your main point in #28:
"There is also a very good case for not pitting a beer league hockey team against an NHL one."

Not a PRO.  POST #6. 
Yes, but the newcomers learn as time goes on. The same can't be said for the victims of noob sniping.
POST #34 refutes you.

Also, movies are scripted so where's the morality in that?
Film is often intended to appeal to and connect with human emotion. Movies can arouse aesthetic or moral feelings, and can be understood as a way of communicating these feelings.  Sports movies in particular are usually grounded in some moral concern.  Doug the Thug learns persistence.  Rocky learns he can be more than just another bum from the neighborhood.  Danny LaRusso learns to balance pride with restraint and fortitude.  Yes movies are mostly scripted and most scripts promote some moral value to those with the ears to hear it.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@User_2006
I would debate this.  I think F is still working out the main thrust of his complaint.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@oromagi
My schedule today is occupied (from 3PM PT onwards), so I will respond to your points tomorrow.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@oromagi
@User_2006
I'd be willing to debate oro on this subject if both him and I have the time to do so.
Crocodile
Debates: 22
Crocodile
-->
@oromagi
There's a very small chance I'll beat you. However, I need the experience. I wouldn't consider myself a noob, but I'm not as good as the likes of blahmonkey or Ragnar
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Crocodile
I wouldn't consider myself a noob,
certainly not if we're applying the less than three rule of noobness.

but I'm not as good as the likes of blahmonkey or Ragnar
blamonkey and join the club.  My religion dictates that when I finally beat Ragnar I am instantly reborn into the 89th realm with perfect understanding and no desire to ever argue any point ever again.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@oromagi
Your re-defintion of "noob sniping," strikes me as a solely tactical attempt to reset terms.  I have never before seen any indication that the term includes some pedagogic component.
It's not a re-definition of noob sniping, but instead, a clarification of what I thought you already knew (but ultimately didn't), given your prior experience on DDO. 

For example, the DDO Wiki definition you provided makes no mention that lack of feedback might be an essential element of  noob snipe.
Yes, it does. This is the definition that the Wiki provides:
Noob Sniping, also referred to as Newb Sniping or Newbie Sniping is the action where a senior member purposefully debates mainly against new members because they're a fag that is why.
It's obvious that "fag" isn't being used in its literal sense, as one's sexual preferences have nothing to do with online debating. Instead, "fag" here is being used as a general pejorative, indicating that intent indeed does have something to do with noob sniping.

That said, I'm not really one who keeps up  with the complex intercontexts of social media jargon so perhaps you can provide a few prior examples where "noob sniping" was  clearly defined as a question of training rather than merely critique of experience matching up vs inexperience. 
I'll do you one better and provide the definition given on the very thread that all new members to DDO were supposed to see:
-Noob sniping: A term used for when an experienced member debates a noob (and wins) just to inflate his Win/Loss Record.
Here it is crystal clear that a pro debating against a noob for pedagogic purposes aren't noob snipers since noob sniping is solely about inflating one's W/L Record, as defined above. In fact, those who It's important to note that the post was made in late 2014, so technically speaking, any member that joined in 2015 or later would use that definition of "noob sniping". Probabilistically speaking, it would be extremely unlikely for there to be no posts about noob sniping whatsoever in the past 5 years. This means that there would almost certainly be conversations in DDO where the pedagogic aspect (or lack thereof) of noob sniping would be considered.

Right now, I'm thinking "oh, F just wants so new ground in which to plant moral objection" which then makes me think, "I guess that means he bought my argument in the last post or else he'd be continuing those arguments rather than looking for new ones"
Well, you're wrong, and I just proved it. 

The good news is  that if you really meant this:

What makes it morally repugnant in my eyes is the lack of feedback that the new debater receives from the experienced one after they are finished.
Then as far as I can tell our website is fairly noopsnipe-free.  I would say that experienced users on this site do a far, far better job at offering feedback than any other debate website I've visited.   I count at least 13 times new users PM'd me for advice on good debating which I do a lot generally and sometimes specifically.  Look at the beginning of this topic where I tried to give some practical advice about winning.  Look at post #31 where our illustrious all-medal-er RationalMadman offers the benefit of his experience to a new user.  Look at Ragnar's docs on format and Kritik, the way he gently nudges noob debate topics for clarity or falsifiability.  If the moral concern here is truly lack of feedback (as you have newly posited) then I'm pretty encouraged by how little noob sniping can be found on this site.
I never said that noob sniping was an issue in DART.

The most relevant framework is the DebateArt.com Code of Conduct which places no restrictions on debates by relative experience.  I can't think of any overarching moral principle that might prohibit such engagement or over-ride the CoC.
Just what I say.  Perhaps it over-lawyerly of me to turn to the rulebook as a starting place for in-game moral questions but I  start with the rulebook for all in-game questions, moral or otherwise. Then I note that one should think bigger picture than rulebooks before lauching into my pricipalistic approach to the question.
Nowhere in the COC does it address any "moral questions", let alone the morals of noob sniping. In fact, noob sniping isn't mentioned anywhere in any version of the DART COC. So how is the COC a relevant framework when there's nothing there relating to this topic whatsoever?

You have mis-read the sentence to mean CoC=moral.  Since I examine the moral question by four different criteria beginning in the very next sentence without any reliance on the Code of Conduct,  I'll lay that misunderstanding at your door for correction.
You made two initial arguments, the COC one and the "4 aspects of morality" one. I was referring to the former, not the latter.

You are the one making oughts here, right?

IS:  You don't give noobs feedback

Aren't you obligated to explain how lack of feedback amounts to some moral fault?
Since we are purposive beings, we generally have a reason to engage in an activity when we do so. You also expect to have some positive things come out of that activity, whether that be for you or for others. In the case of debating, you either join a debate because you want yourself and others to get some good out of it (which for a pro debating a noob, means giving feedback so that the noob gets something out of the debate so he can improve) or because you just want to have good for yourself (exploiting the noob's inexperience to gain wins, which is the definition of noob sniping). 

With that said, this becomes a simple Kantian Hypothetical Imperative: It is the case that those who engage in debates with noobs while not providing feedback to them are engaging in noob sniping. It is the case that noob sniping amounts to exploitation of said noobs. If one sees this as immoral, then one ought not to noob snipe.

Have I suggested some ought in this exchange?  Hume's Is-Ought Guillotine has no application to my defense.
I presented Hume's Guillotine as a conditional. If that was your argument (which you pointed out it wasn't), then you would be subject to Hume's Guillotine. 

So, you've shifted your moral hockey puck to "lack of feedback" and then you've chosen to quote from a fairly long piece of advice I gave to fellow debaters just a few months back. Feedback by me that you've obviously read.  Maybe you ought to stick that puck another meter by changing your complaint to "not enough feedback, morally speaking"
No, I never shifted my "moral hockey puck", and aren't about to.

IS:  Your argument is selfish and circumstantial

Hume would ask, "What is the source of this knowledge?  How are we determining what's morally ok?"  Aren't you obligated to explain how setting goals and modifying approaches according to  circumstance amounts to some moral fault?
Here you have bungled together pieces from two completely different points I made. I never said that the argument you made was selfish (whatever that means). By "selfish", I was referring to the actions of the noob snipers, not to your argument. I can once again use the Hypothetical Imperative to formulate my point: If you don't wish to be seen as selfish, then you ought not to noob snipe.

I also never said, "Your argument is circumstantial, therefore you ought not to noob snipe." What I said was that since the point you made of getting to 100 debates is entirely contingent on circumstance, you cannot use it to morally validate noob sniping. 

Not automatically and that's hardly the whole of the argument but I think it 100% appropriate to be sensitive to site culture.  Learning and reinforcing site norms is an essential part of society building in the social media sense.
Are you arguing that noob sniping (as defined above) is a site norm? If so, then you contradict yourself. If not, then this point is moot. 

So you concede the benefits of noob sniping as I described.
The key point to my statement was "when noobs can learn something from the debates". Noobs don't learn anything from noob snipes. Also, what you described isn't noob sniping, as defined in the definition. 

By non-response, you also seem to agree that noop-sniping does not violate noob autonomy.
Your argument for their autonomy is that they get to set the debate up. The problem with this (which you have not adequately addressed) is that they often don't know how to properly do so. Also, do the noobs get to choose who they debate against when creating a debate? No. That means they don't have any autonomy in that regard. Also, if a noob sniper keeps accepting all of your debates, then you basically have four choices: constantly receive a pounding, constantly concede, constantly ask for the debate to be deleted (which means valuable time is wasted), or ask the mods for an RO against the person (which there is no guarantee for them granting). This is not autonomy.

You also seem to agree that  the harms are minor since the worst consequence you've identified so far is that a new user might not return to the site.
It can be minor, it can be major. The current state of the website does not inform any moral argument whatsoever.

Of course, new users drift away the site pretty regularly, weekly at least, few of whom have ever engaged in a debate with an experienced user.  The harm is so minor that we can't really discern the spiping harm from the background radiation of ennui.
It is entirely possible that this won't be the case in the future.

I already have POST #27.  You agreed that self-improvement and elevation of site quality were positive moral benefits.  This debater believes that practice and self-improvement in nearly any skill set is  a positive moral benefit.
Just like a teacher who only gives out tests and doesn't actually teach, you learn nothing from a noob-sniped debate. Thus it doesn't lead to self-improvement. I also contend that teaching someone how to debate properly (not noob sniping) increases the site quality much more than noob sniping.

I defined noobs as <3 debaters which you have not protested.  So by the time the user gets to that third "over again" she is no longer a noob.
You presented that as a conditional, not a definition. But if you are committed to it as a definition (and you indeed are, as shown with your interaction with Crocodile in #43), then you must substantiate why the cutoff for noobiness is 3 debates. Why not 2, or 4? To me, this seems completely arbitrary, and thus invalid.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@oromagi
 I have never seen a persistently poor debater who also demonstrated some interest in improving debate skills or even good faith engagement  with the argument.
Define "persistently poor debater".

I have objected to the addition of "lack of feedback" as an important aspect of noob-sniping.
Then you object to the definition of noob sniping as established 5 years ago. 

Further, I have argued that "lack of feedback" is less of a problem on this site than any other similar forum.  Again, I addressed the morality of noob-sniping in POST#27.  I have shown that the harms are minor and individual while the benefits are greater and collective.
You haven't shown this to always be the case. Also,
Just like a teacher who only gives out tests and doesn't actually teach, you learn nothing from a noob-sniped debate. Thus it doesn't lead to self-improvement. I also contend that teaching someone how to debate properly (not noob sniping) increases the site quality much more than noob sniping.

Nope.  You'd have to show that Ore_Ele's wiki entry
I'll let you finish this sentence.

Yes.  I identified those sentences as speculation by beginning both sentences with "I think"
Therefore you admit to it being unsubstantiated, correct?

We know that DDO tacitly permitted noob-sniping because DDO added a 25 pt advantage to instigators as a counterweight to noob snipes and by placing many active noob snipers at the top of the leaderboard.  The ranking system was literally modified to accommodate noob sniping rather than any prohibition or exclusion or condemnation  of the practice.
Just because DDO tacitly allows it doesn't automatically make it morally okay. 

...and my dismissal
...and my counter

When noobs can learn something from the debates, they will know how to improve their arguments. That, in turn, will improve the community as a whole and raise the site's reputation."
You are re-iterating my principle benefit from POST #27. 
The key point to my statement was "when noobs can learn something from the debates". Noobs don't learn anything from noob snipes.

I think post #6 is a pretty good example of genuine feedback.  I think your new complaint is merit-less.

POST #34 refutes you.
You gave K_Michael genuine feedback after he conceded, namely:
I think you have an excellent topic that requires some thematic development- defining property and happiness very specifically could help your cause. 
Therefore it is not a noob snipe. 

It's not your new point in post #34 (lack of feedback) but it was your main point in #28:
"There is also a very good case for not pitting a beer league hockey team against an NHL one."
When I said this, it was in reference to sports. In a debate, you can give feedback to essentially coach the other debater. As far as I'm aware, this is not the case in sports. So if you're trying to apply your sports analogy directly to debate, then you are committing the fallacy of equivocation.

Not a PRO.  POST #6. 
Not a noob snipe.

Yes, but the newcomers learn as time goes on. The same can't be said for the victims of noob sniping.
POST #34 refutes you.
You gave K_Michael genuine feedback after he conceded, therefore it is not a noob snipe. 

Film is often intended to appeal to and connect with human emotion. Movies can arouse aesthetic or moral feelings, and can be understood as a way of communicating these feelings.  Sports movies in particular are usually grounded in some moral concern.  Doug the Thug learns persistence.  Rocky learns he can be more than just another bum from the neighborhood.  Danny LaRusso learns to balance pride with restraint and fortitude.  Yes movies are mostly scripted and most scripts promote some moral value to those with the ears to hear it.
Yes, movies can give those morals. But it is important to note that in 99% of movies, there's a happy ending. Reality doesn't work like this.

F

oromagi
oromagi
Here's the problem. Many newbies don't know how to properly define expectations, rules, and definitions in a way that closes any potential loopholes (which predatory debaters [not naming names here] would be more than happy to exploit).

It can also set a bad precedent for those on the receiving end of this, as they could possibly develop the psyche that in order to win, they must target those lower than them and squish them like bugs in their arguments. They could go on to base their debate strategy entirely around hunting for noobs instead of debating those who can actually provide a good argument. This wouldn't benefit the debater at all. Rather, crushing lowlier debaters would only inflate their ego and give them a sense of false intellect. I don't doubt the educational benefits and high expectations that it can provide, but we cannot ignore the potential downsides that noob sniping could incur.

But new debaters often aren't here to "create debates to fuck around". They often genuinely do not know how to cover all of their bases and would feel intimidated by having a user such as RM or yourself. Using lofty arguments and flexing your intellectual might doesn't benefit them in the slightest, and extracting personal benefit from that is selfish by definition. 

There is a chance for real harm. If someone created debates just to have them noob sniped, then they would begin to wonder what the point of creating a debate is. That could turn them away from DART, and potentially away from debating as a whole.

LIke I said in POST #39,  I think you're still working on your thesis statement
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@oromagi
Post 28 is talking about potential issues that could arise in DART. Post 34 is saying that noob sniping isn't an actual issue on DART. 

Extend all other points.

Also, I hope you're coping well with your mom's death. I know it hurts, as I've lost someone close to me when I was young, too.
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@oromagi
@PressF4Respect
If y'all have the energy to type all this on a forum, resulting in me having to scroll a whole lot, then have a debate then. 20,000 characters, 2 weeks for a response, unranked. GO. 
seldiora
Debates: 158
seldiora
Blade of Truth on DDO has gone undefeated for longer (100 debates in a row). Oromagi has been beaten by Ragnar and bsh1. He's a decent debater with good backing and knowing of stances, which is why he has not been beaten here. He could be easily beaten by thett3, Roy latham, bluesteel, and maybe even Mikal, but since none of them are here the only other person I can think of who can beat him with 100% certainty here is Whiteflame or Zaradi. (Rational madman might win? depends on the subject)

[if you don't believe me challenge me to a debate, I can prove whiteflame/zaradi would thoroughly destroy him. Though I am actually not sure how well Blade of truth would do. Larztheloser might stand a decent chance]
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@seldiora
You can't prove that and you're wrong. It would be a cointoss.