Science Fiction And The Bible

Author: ethang5

Total: 76
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
How? What has it done and how did it do it? 
Go to any place on Earth and ask about Jesus. By being true.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
That's why no other book has even come close to what the Bible has done.

Some try to play it down, but when you look at the reality of what the bible has done, you have to admit there is something there.

Go to any place on Earth and ask about Jesus. By being true.

Well I have come to this place , the world wide web and have asked you a direct question that has arisen from a comment the you have yourself made. 

So what has the bible done? And how did it do it?  Just say you don't know if you don't know. 

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Sorry, I only debate people who can think.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
Well I can think enough to work out that  you claim the bible has done things,  but then when simply asked how, you don't actually know anything it has done or how it has done anything?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Because not playing your obtuse games mean I don't know?

Lol. OK.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

That's why no other book has even come close to what the Bible has done.
Some try to play it down, but when you look at the reality of what the bible has done, you have to admit there is something there.

Well I can think enough to work out that  you claim the bible has done things,  but then when simply asked how, you don't actually know anything it has done or how it has done anything?

Because not playing your obtuse games mean I don't know?

I have asked YOU questions relating to YOUR comments on YOUR thread.

So yes, you don't know. If anyone is showing obtuseness, princess,  it is you. YOU have started a thread and then failed to engage on the subject matter that YOU have chosen and commented on. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
@Stephen
Hey!

The same old getting nowhere fast......Other than side by side, hurtling towards death and decomposition.

I would suggest.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
One just has to wonder why start a thread that you have no intention of discussing? 

I can only suppose he simply finds my questions uncomfortable to handle.  I have found that most of the Christians here become extremely reluctant when approached with questions  that arise from their own profound statement 's & comments that they cannot, or are afraid to answer  .  One has to wonder why.

I was looking forward to discussing all of these points made in the opening post. 

ethang5  ethang5 wrote: Did you know that concepts made popular in science fiction were first in the bible?

I won't post the passages unless asked, but here are a few of those concepts, found only in the Bible 2,000 years ago. Some have stopped being fiction, but I find it amazing that a book dismissed as the writings if illiterate goatherds could contain sophisticated concept that would take the world Years to discover.

1. Time travel - The bible has the concept within it that time is fluid and relative, and movement forwards or backwards in time is possible.

2. Teleportation - there are instances of instantaneous teleportation in the bible. Today, scientists are able to teleport elementary particles, but are working to get results with larger loads. But the concept was in the bible all along.

3. Water in the mantle of the Earth. A lot of it. So much that Scientists today are considering changing their theories about how the Earth got water. But 2,000 years ago, the concept was in the bible.

4. The concept of Genetics - The bible has stories of how genetics were used to get animals with desired characteristics more than 2,000 years ago.

5. Different Dimensions - Only the bible has this concept of "outside" the created universe, where not only is there no "time", but that instances there are not synchronous with time inside the universe.

My intent here is not to prove the bible true because it has these concepts, but to marvel that such advanced concepts are in the bible at all.

When science one day makes possible something we presently call a miracle, will we still doubt the miracle?

Even the concept of the attributes of God are unique to Christianity.

Omniscience - that God knows all that can be known is an advance concept, treated with much more nuance in the bible than skeptics usually admit.

Omnipotence - In the bible, omnipotence is not just that God is more powerful than anyone else, but that all power in the universe is His power, even the power used by His enemies. The bible treats energy as if it is all the same thing within the universe.

Omnipresence - This concept in the bible treats physical location within the universe as if it is spacetime, not just space. A concept it took man thousands of years to develop.

Immutability - This concept came to the fore when scientists discovered elementary particles. These particles are more energy than matter, and we now  know energy cannot be changed. Immutability may be built into the universe! But 2,000 years ago, the concept was in the bible.

Finally, the concept of eternity. That God is eternal is not simply that He lasts forever, but that He is not bound by time. This is a concept made understandable by Einstein. And this means that God is the only non-relative observer in the universe. A very high concept indeed!

Is it not amazing that these complex concepts are in a document dated at 6,000 to 2,000 years ago?  #1

I happen to agree with some of  ^^^^that post except maybe the last line  highlighted .  
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Certainly if someone creates a narrative that is agreeable then one must be prepared to agree in principle.

Mr Ethan suggested that my approach to these forums  was "teach and preach", and so I modified my style accordingly. Therefore one would expect a reciprocal willingness to discuss.

And your correct, and as I attempted to point out, the fact that such concepts were touched upon in a creation hypothesis is neither amazing or unusual, in fact they are to be expected.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
I have asked YOU questions relating to YOUR comments on YOUR thread.
So?

So yes, you don't know.
Lol.OK. 

If anyone is showing obtuseness, princess,  it is you. YOU have started a thread and then failed to engage on the subject matter that YOU have chosen and commented on. 
I failed to engage YOU. Look at my reason in post #63 again.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Making observational comments hardly engenders responses. Virtually every comment of hours is a noncommittal, middle of the road banality. What are we supposed to do with those?

....in fact they are to be expected.
How are they to be expected? Please point out one ancient document with any of the concepts mentioned above. Reality must matter to you.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
the fact that such concepts were touched upon in a creation hypothesis is neither amazing or unusual, in fact they are to be expected.

And touched upon and discussed they have been for 100's years, and centuries before the penny dropped for  reluctant Christians of the forum.

I  had already mentioned that  people have been witnessing for instance aerial objects  for millennia. They are also depicted in many medieval works of art;  Crivelli (the Annunciation) & De Gelder's (Baptism of Christ) bringing both the scriptures and science together through art.#45

Above he  speaks of   "The concept of Genetics" .  We know cloning involves genetics and now, even  21st century layperson can grasp the basic understanding of genetic engineering. And  on reading  about the creation of the biblical Eve, one   shouldn't fail to notice what appears to be going on is a cloning of a female from the male Adam.

(1)     The Adam is first  anesthetised.
(2)     The flesh is opened up.
(3)     A surgical operation follows.
(4)     A bone is removed.
(5)     The wound is closed. 
(6)     And a woman is engineered from the bone of the man.

Genesis 2:21-23 New International Version

" So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
The man said,  “This is now bone of my bones  and flesh of my flesh she shall be called ‘woman,’  for she was taken out of man.”

Yet our author cannot even discuss what he believes the bible "has done "  or how it done it. 

@ethang5 wrote: That's why no other book has even come close to what the Bible has done.

One has to ask, is he really here to discuss anything or just agitate and harass theists.

He keeps forgetting that this is a _ religion_ forum and not a Religious forum for him and those other haughty Christians that believe  it is their pulpit to look down from and  that only they are  the ones qualified to  preach  the scriptures to the unbeliever .  The man is a fkn a  bible ignorant Joke not to mention a hypocrite of double standards.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
How are they to be expected?
I would suggest.

It's the development of ideas and the transfer of data from generation to generation.

It would be foolish to think that all ideas and information started with the compilers of the bible tales.

And I would further suggest that middle of the road banality is on a two way highway....See what I did there?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Please point out one ancient document with any of the concepts mentioned above. 

See what I did there?
Yep. You dodged and ran. If it was to be expected, those concepts would be common in ancient writings. They aren't.

Don't worry. I am aware that you don't think your comments need to conform yo reality.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Which ancient writings?

My point was that formerly, information was passed by word of mouth....Then perhaps chiselled  hieroglyphics....Then perhaps hieroglyphics on papyrus, and so on.... Until eventually you end up with  your own modern version of a compilation of thoughts and ideas.....The basis of that information isn't to be found in your book, or a two thousand year old manuscript or on a four thousand year old tablet of stone..... The basis of that information begins when the first hominid is able  looks skywards and ask why.

I shouldn't even need to suggest this.

What I would suggest is, that  attempting to promote that the modern bible as a unique scientific thesis, is utterly absurd. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Which is why that is not what I did, and why you are trying to lie that I did.

The basis of that information...
I said nothing about "the basis" of that information. I said those concepts are in the bible. No other writings of similar age can boast that.

Which ancient writings?
None. That is the point you're missing.

I shouldn't even need to suggest this.
You don't. But you have no argument, so......