What would happen if the earth stopped rotating?

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 40
Tyran_Osaur
Debates: 0
Tyran_Osaur
-->
@fauxlaw
Today, that entire industry exceeds an annual net worth, combined, of nearly $5B, and growing. And who are the biggest all-day suckers of it? Those who expound their "free access to mountains of reliable, credible information

Again, I think you are making wild, uneducated speculation.
Considerable and accurate study strongly affirm the exact opposite in that those who are inclined to take things at face value have a particular predisposition:
"human spirituality is influenced by heredity and that a specific gene, called vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), predisposes humans towards spiritual or mystic experiences."

Whether it be belief in God, numerology, astrology, psychics, chiropractics, accupuncture, naturopathy or any other supernatural-based belief, those who believe one will tend to gravitate towards the others.

No critical-thinking atheist would ever believe in any of these pseudo sciences or fake beliefs.

I have posted a test commonly used by psychologists to determine one's inclination and, as I recall, you did not take up the offer.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Tyran_Osaur
 you did not take up the offer.

My choice, not yours. Sorry to poke yet another wish balloon. 
Predisposition. Hmmm..."A genetic predisposition (sometimes also called genetic susceptibility) is an increased likelihood of developing a particular disease based on a person's genetic makeup."https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/mutationsanddisorders/predisposition

Does that mean predisposition compels? Nope. I guess that means there may be other sources of spirituality, or not, than some bloody gene, particularly since thoughts and attitudes can completely change over a lifetime, such as being spiritually inclined, and then giving it the heave-ho. Happens, my friend. What of genetic predisposition, then?
Tyran_Osaur
Tyran_Osaur
-->
@fauxlaw
Predisposition. Hmmm..."A genetic predisposition (sometimes also called genetic susceptibility) is an increased likelihood of developing a particular disease based on a person's genetic makeup."https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/mutationsanddisorders/predisposition

Yes, good questioning there, although that case is about genetic predisposition towards diseases.

But whether it is a compulsion in the case of spiritualism is an interesting thought. I would call it a trait. in that one would have an inclination to be spiritual. 
What psychologists and some employers do is give prospects and subjects the following test.
Come on, don't be a spoiled brat, try it. It is not a matter of being right or wrong or being better or worse but very interesting when you find out how it works.

I buy a baseball bat and ball for $110. If the baseball bat cost $100 more than the ball, how much did the ball cost?

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Tyran_Osaur
It's a cool test. I might be missing something here, but is the idea of introducing us to this quiz meant to suggest that a spiritual person is less likely to get it than a non-spiritual person?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Tyran_Osaur
Don't need to know, I'd invest the $100 and call it good.
Tyran_Ohsor
Tyran_Ohsor
-->
@RoderickSpode
It's a cool test. I might be missing something here, but is the idea of introducing us to this quiz meant to suggest that a spiritual person is less likely to get it than a non-spiritual person?
It is a cool test but, deadly accurate.

The outcome is not to show one person is better than the other. It shows that those who gravitate to things spiritual, tend to make judgements on face value and are more conceptual than say someone who is more rational, logic and would make a great rocket scientist. Which is why employers quite often use the test to test the suitability of candidates for certain tasks.

In the former case, I hear there is a great demand in the workplace for janitors and number plate stampers.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Tyran_Ohsor

It is a cool test but, deadly accurate.

The outcome is not to show one person is better than the other. It shows that those who gravitate to things spiritual, tend to make judgements on face value and are more conceptual than say someone who is more rational, logic and would make a great rocket scientist. Which is why employers quite often use the test to test the suitability of candidates for certain tasks.

In the former case, I hear there is a great demand in the workplace for janitors and number plate stampers.
Your idea doesn't mean much unless employers provide this test to weed out spiritual folk.

What's obvious right off the bat is that the ball is not $10. The number 10 or $10 figure is the distraction. From there it's just a matter of doing the math, however long that may take.

I would strongly suggest creating a personal comic book superhero for therapeutic reasons. An atheist superhero with the proverbial "A in a circle" on his chest. A fantasy world you can feed on where there are no Christian rocket scientists, all religious or spiritual people are janitors and number plate stampers. And you can put it on the internet for others with the same need.
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
I buy a baseball bat and ball for $110. If the baseball bat cost $100 more than the ball, how much did the ball cost?
The test is tricky in that it gets you to focus on the cost of the bat, which it actually doesn't state, but says it cost $100 more than the ball, so the mind assumes the bat costs $100 and the ball should then be $10. Doing the math shows the ball costs $5 and the bat $105, therefore the bat is $100 more than the ball.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ATroubledMan
But according to Tyran you wouldn't have been able to figure that out if you were a Christian (or spiritual). Does that make any sense to you?
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@RoderickSpode
No, that makes no sense, faith has nothing to do with understanding simply math.