How many will die in the coming great depression?

Author: Singularity

Total: 91
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
I saw stats that said the last great depression caused 7 million deaths. The numbers from the Coronavirus deaths if we did nothing at worst would have been 1 million though more likely just a few hundred thousand. However we have shut down the economy meaning we will definitely be causing the next great depression by doing this. Adjusted for the increased population size, this means we will kill 14 million people with this shut down. Here is my question. why do retards think shutting down the world to save 500,000 boomers is worth 14 million people dying over?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
zero, the USA has developed 10x more than the 30's
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Singularity
shutting down the world to save 500,000 boomers

I'm a boomer. I spent my life preparing for this moment in life when I am virtually self-sufficient, I own my 2 homes, I live in relative isolation at 7500 feet on 10 acres, I can interrupt a revenue stream and survive for the balance of my life. I have food and supplies to survive this, and most issues of closures of one sort or another. I did not accomplish this by sitting on my ass waiting for the parade of entitlements I could advantage myself with them, but why should I apply? I am the fly in your soup. I don't need your soup; I can make my own. So, just what kind of singularity have you to refute that? If I died tomorrow, my passing will not cost you a cent of any color. I've had this advantage for the last 40 years. You?
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
this thread looks like a bunch of incoherent people talking to each other. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
There's a lot of logic in doing that, your mathematics is what is off.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
yet your on this thread...
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Singularity
I saw stats that said the last great depression caused 7 million deaths.
That 7 million statistic is a Russian tell.  That statistic is bullshit propaganda from 2008.  Ukraine was turning against its Russian puppet president after the economic crash and Russia 's invasion of Georgia.  Ukrainians were remembering the Holodomor (Holocaust) of 1932 when Stalin forced millions of ethnic Ukrainians to starve en masse.  The most common death toll attributed is 7 million (probably a large overestimate), so a Russian "historian" (associated with no apparent school or publisher) named Boris Borisov wrote an article saying that 7 million also starved in the US. 

A few snippets:
The USA is constantly trying to teach Russia the “lessons of the holodomor”.

All seriousscientists, including American scientists state that the “UkrainianHolodomor” was not genocide and its “many millions of victims” arenothing more than a falsification. There was a famine in Ukraine in1932, but it was not intended. Except for war time, this was the onlyfamine in the entire history of the USSR.

In American history there exists another crime committed by thegovernment against its own people. This crime is the Great AmericanHolodomor of 1932/33, which resulted in the deaths of millions of UScitizens.

These public works usually involvedthe construction of canals, bridges and roads, quite often inunpopulated, swampy and malaria-ridden areas. Overall, between1933 and 1939, 8.5 million citizens (this number doesn’t includecriminals, who also had to do public works) have passed through theAmerican GULAG.

This American GULAG – the Public Works Administration was headed by the“American Beria” – the minister of internal affairs Harold LeClairIckes (1874-1952), [who organized the deportation of ethnic Japanese living in America into concentration camps in 1941/1942 – editor].In 1932 it was Ickes who ordered 2 million youths to be deported intoyouth work camps, where they were forced to live and do public works.
The article was a big hit in Russia and there was a bit of an uproar when Wikipedia refused to allow the obviously false assertions to stand in encyclopedia entries.  Borisov's methodology is to take the US population increase from 1920 to 1930 and compare that number [+16.21%] to the population increase from 1930 to 1940 [+7.27%].  Since US population increase from 2010 to 2020 is about the same as the 1930's growth rate [+7.74%], Borisov's methodology suggests that tens of millions of Americans died of starvation over the past decade as well.  Does that agree with our observations of America over the last decade?  No.

A very good peer-reviewed MIT article on the subject reports:

"The Great Depression of the 1930s, with its unusually
high unemployment rates, might well have become a de-
mographic disaster with rising infant mortality and non-
infant death rates and declining fertility throughout the
decade. The national aggregates show, however, that the
infant mortality rate stopped falling only temporarily in the
mid-1930s before continuing on a downward trend. The
non-infant death rate stayed on trend through the early
1930s and then rose above trend in the late 1930s, while the
general fertility rate fell below trend in the early 1930s
before leveling out in the late 1930s. What can explain these
puzzling patterns?

A key factor in the explanation of all three patterns is the
sharp increase in relief spending during the 1930s when the
federal government stepped in to combat the problems of
the unemployed and the poor. In essence, federal relief
spending provided a safety net for the unemployed and the
poor that contributed to a continuation of the long-term
decline in mortality rates for infants under age one, the
population most vulnerable to the effects of economic
downturns. Increased relief spending had little effect on the
overall non-infant death rate but contributed to reductions in
suicides, deaths due to infectious and parasitic diseases,
deaths from diarrheal diseases, and possibly homicides. The
relief costs associated with saving a life were similar to
modern estimates of the value of life in labor markets and
the cost of saving lives through Medicaid.

The effect of fluctuations in economic activity during the
1930s mimicked a pattern found by Ruhm (2000) for the
modern U.S. economy. The overall non-infant death rate
and the fatality rates for homicide rates, infectious and
parasitic diseases, cancers, degenerative diseases, and motor
vehicles all displayed procyclical patterns, falling when the
economy plunged and rising during the recoveries. A key
exception during the 1930s and the modern era was the
suicide rate, which tended to be countercyclical. The differ-
ences in how most of the specific death rates responded to
increases in relief and in general activity are indicative of
the different channels through which relief and general
improvements in the economy influenced death rates. This
finding should not be surprising given that relief was tar-
geted at lower-income and unemployed households while
improvements in general economic activity had widespread
effects.
People actually got healthier during the Great Depression- less fatty food, less tobacco, less drugs, better regulated alcohol, fewer factory jobs, less pollution actually translated into healthier babies, fewer childhood deaths.  Suicide was the only major death rate that actually increased and that rate was still significantly less than our present 2019 rate.  Fewer babies and a sharp decrease in immigration account for the 7 million Borisov misses far more credibly than Borisov's super secret mass holocaust by starvation.

Just as with food or oil today, food was actually way more plentiful and cheap in the 1930's  because demand was so far down. The USFG famously paid farmer not to plant, just to keep the prices up a bit. The breadlines were very inexpensive to run on mostly surplus. People ate a whole lot less but it turns out that was good for America's health overall.

Why do retards think shutting down the world to save 500,000 boomers is worth 14 million people dying over?
the retards are apparently less susceptible to Russian propaganda.  Check your sources.  Why would your sources be spreading Russian propaganda and why repeat the fact in turn without checking?  As the caretaker of an 81yr old blind woman with lung disease and heart disease, who's next door neighbor died fast 3 days ago from the virus i say fuck your money, right now I'd trade all the money the world ever made to keep her alive for a few more years.

So America generally got a little healthier but a little poorer during the Great Depression.  How much is a couple more years worth of life worth to you?  Maybe a new Great Depression could be good for us. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Singularity
1939 was the best year in cinematic history.   Great depressions might be good for us.
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@Dr.Franklin
true that 

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@oromagi
lol you aint wrong bruh 

thats the yr gone with the wind came out if im not wrong 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@skittlez09
Yup

1939 : It was the greatest year in Hollywood history

WIZARD of OZ
STAGECOACH
The RULES of the GAME
GUNGA DIN
Mr. SMITH GOES to WASHINGTON
ANOTHER THIN MAN
The FOUR FEATHERS
BEAU GESTE
YOUNG mr LINCOLN
DARK VICTORY
GOODBYE mr CHIPS
DRUMS ALONG the MOHAWK
Le JOUR se LEVE
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
The HUNCHBACK of NOTRE DAME
ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS
The WOMEN
The PRIVATE LIVES of ELIZABETH and ESSEX
Of MICE and MEN
MIDNIGHT

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@skittlez09
Its also easy to forget the serials- Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, Three Stooges, peak Merry Melodies cartoons, pre-Bugs Loony Toons.  For a quarter ($4.64) adjusted for inflation, you got 4-6 hours of show.

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@oromagi
dang never realized there was that many good movies released that yr alone bruh 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Singularity
I saw stats that said the last great depression caused 7 million deaths.
<br>

That seems incredibly unlikely. Where did you see that?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@skittlez09
Society has also changed a lot, people want to save others at all costs
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Dr.Franklin
exactly 
oromagi
oromagi

“Leave No Man Behind” is a creed and ethos often repeated and adhered to by various units and soldiers. The interpretation of the phrase is applied to the treatment and extraction of the seriously wounded, the recovery of the body of military members killed in action, and the attempts to rescue or trade for prisoners of war. Despite being widely known and repeated in the U.S. Military, “leave no man behind” is not represented in any official military doctrine or publication. It is a culture of the armed services, which carries significant risk.

A recent article reported the Air Force’s recommended upgrade of Tech. Sergeant John Chapman’s Air Force Cross to the Medal of Honor for his actions during Operation Anaconda, an attempt to rescue Neil Roberts, a SEAL who had fallen from a helicopter after being struck by enemy fire.
The article highlights the decision of a Navy SEAL Chief, serving as the leader of the team that Sergeant Chapman was supporting, to withdraw from the mountain top position while under heavy enemy fire. The Chief believed that Sergeant Chapman had been killed, and made the decision to withdraw his team, which already had multiple wounded members.

The basis for this upgrade is drone imagery, improved by new technology to show a clearer feed of the actions occurring on the ground. The Air Force reports that Sergeant Chapman, despite being left behind and seriously wounded, can be seen continuing to provide suppressive fires for a helicopter attempting to insert a quick reaction force of Rangers, as well as engaging in close quarters combat with Al Qaeda fighters before ultimately being killed in action.

In total, seven troops were killed in this engagement, now referred to as the Battle of Roberts Ridge. Much of the criticism of this decision revolves around the principle of “leave no man behind.” Should troops go to such lengths to rescue fallen comrades, pulling additional resources and risking additional casualties?

The X’s and O’s Perspective – Rescue Mission with Strategic Implications

“Leave No Man Behind” is not based on the tactical necessity to recover the wounded or missing. It is a dangerous task to those troops undertaking it, potentially exposing themselves to ambush from an enemy who understands our cultural necessity to recover a comrade. Once that soldier is wounded or missing, he is no longer an asset to accomplishing a mission. In fact, he or she is a significant hindrance that takes combat power away from mission. Even more so, the decision to conduct a rescue or recovery mission can change policy and the face of a conflict.

There are numerous examples of the dangers associated in following “Leave No Man Behind.”

The Battle of Mogadishu is a well-known engagement, in which a Task Force was directed to capture an associate of the warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid. The shoot down of a task force helicopter and ensuing recovery efforts led to the death of eighteen U.S. soldiers, seventy-three wounded, and the capture of Warrant Officer Michael Durant following the crash landing of his helicopter.  The loss of life led to a policy change by the Clinton administration and the ultimate withdrawal of U.S. forces in Somalia.

In 1972, Captain Roger Locher was shot down over North Vietnamese territory during a major aerial operation to slow the transport of North Vietnamese Army troops and supplies into the south. Captain Locher was able to escape and evade capture for twenty-three days despite being far behind enemy lines. All units under the command of General John Vogt were ordered to stop operations (to include major bombing campaigns of Hanoi,) and focus on the rescue effort. Captain Locher was successfully recovered, after approximately 150 U.S. aircraft were redirected to find and rescue him

From a foreign military perspective, the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) once utilized the “Hannibal Directive” as a policy for units and commanders when IDF soldiers have been captured or abducted.  It consisted of a massive procedure to bomb all possible escape routes, assuming the risk of killing the abducted soldier. Reports of the use of “Hannibal Directive” are controversial due to the high probability of collateral damage and IDF assumption that a soldier should rather be killed than captured. The last use of the directive is reported during the 2014 Israeli-Gaza incursion, when Lieutenant Hadar Goldin was believed to be captured, pulled into a Hamas tunnel system in the Gaza Strip. The use of the directive was criticized by the Israeli public and international community, and was heavily publicized by media outlets.

The implications of these examples have been significant in foreign policy (Somalia), operational objectives (aborted Hanoi bombing strike), and media coverage (Hannibal Directive) leading to public criticism.  They all stem from the reallocation of combat forces to aid in the rescue or recovery of personnel, despite the costs, under the culture of no man left behind.

Why It Matters

It is important to note what “Leave No Man Behind” means to those in uniform.

While not captured in doctrine, there are few things more reassuring to a soldier about to enter combat that his brothers and sisters in arms would spare nothing in attempts to get him back. To the families of those fallen, the catharsis of being able to bury their own cannot be overstated or even understood by those who have not been in that sad and unfortunate position.

As found by a study by the U.S. Army War College,  “Combat Motivation in Today’s Soldiers,” the motivations have not changed in war over time. They fight for one another, built through the bond of shared misery, loyalty, and love. It is not surprising then that soldiers would go to such lengths to never leave a man behind, despite the risks and possible failure.

In the case of the Navy SEAL Chief who made the decision to withdraw after believing Sergeant Chapman had succumbed to his wounds, his decision should not be controversial or criticized. He made a decision in the heat of intense enemy fire, with the knowledge at hand.  Gaining a birds eye view from a drone feed can be a significant asset, but it is a shameful prospect to criticize when enabled through replayed footage taken from thousands of feet overhead, many years after.

Ultimately, the responsibility lies with the commander on what he is willing to risk to ensure no man is left behind. It is a heavy burden, and may not be worth the loss of others in terms of mission accomplishment. These are decisions made in seconds, and will not be perfect.  It is an unenviable position, and one he or she will undoubtedly debate for a lifetime. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@skittlez09
coolio
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
Natural selection is the way forward.

And natural selection rids the Planet of approximately 60 million per annum anyway.

it's just that coronavirus brings the fact home to roost.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Singularity
I saw stats that said the last great depression caused 7 million deaths. The numbers from the Coronavirus deaths if we did nothing at worst would have been 1 million though more likely just a few hundred thousand. However we have shut down the economy meaning we will definitely be causing the next great depression by doing this. Adjusted for the increased population size, this means we will kill 14 million people with this shut down. Here is my question. why do retards think shutting down the world to save 500,000 boomers is worth 14 million people dying over?
You first have to understand that which constitutes a recession and depression. Recessions and Depressions are sustained periods of declining economic activity (usually they spananywhere from several months to perhaps a few years.) The silver lining is that the declining activity due to this Corona Virus "Pandemic" has nothing to do with Economic factors (e.g. overproduction, deflating asset prices. etc.) The standstill is government induced. When the government relinquishes its authority over these demonstrably ineffective "lockdows," the aforementioned should immediately correct. We'll undoubtedly face a recession. But I do not believe it likely that we'd have another Depression.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@oromagi
Probably easy for you to say. A great depression. Would be good to save people who have a life expectancy of 5 years remaining. I honestly don't want my children hunting and killing sewer rats. You are probably a rich kid who is insulated from the affects of a depression but as somebody who grew up in poverty. It is much better to be dead than to live my childhood, and you want most of america to share my childhood so some boomers can squeeze another 2 years out of their life? The same boomers by the way who voted incorrectly in the past and who are the exact reason we do not live in a utopia?
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Oromagi gave the citation on his first post in this thread
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@oromagi
Why are you posting stupid shit about the no man left behind policy that has resulted in so many unnecessary deaths? I hope it is to mock that philosophy and not to promote it
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Singularity
You are probably a rich kid...

false & ad-hom.  Your argument is that death caused by economic depression will far outweigh death by coronavirus. Your argument depends on false precedent: 7 million dead in Great Depression is fake news -anti-American propaganda from a hostile totalitarian expansionist state, in fact. Now you have zero evidence supporting your assertion that death from economic depression  will outweigh coronavirus death.  You can try some different fake news, or just give up on the unwarranted conclusion.  Even if it gets as bad as the Great Depression, we won’t be starving.  Even if it gets as bad as the Great Depression, we have already lost more to coronavirus thus year than to starvation throughout the 1930s

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Singularity
Oromagi gave the citation on his first post in this thread

I think I see it now. The one he called bullshit propaganda?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
As I stated.

The question has arisen, only because we are now somewhat forced to focus upon it.

Death by natural selection is, but up until now it has largely been ignored. Unless one is a statistician who records such data of course.

Currently, the annual birth rate far exceeds the annual death rate, so no real extinction worries as yet.

Some might even suggest that an event that levels the playing field for a period of time, would in fact not be such a bad thing.

The reality is, we naturally fear our own mortality and are currently forced to face up to the fact.

So my advice would be, live for today and die tomorrow. 

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@oromagi
It is not false or ad hominem it is insight into why you could give a shit less if people starve and die. I had to go days at a time without food in a good economy as a kid. Do you really think I would have survived a depression. People will die? Poor people. You want to keep some rich boomers alive who have 5 years left and could give a shit less about kids literally starving. Let's imagine that I am wrong that zero people will die despite not have access to food. Why do you think we should give up our freedom for security? People used to say give me liberty or give me death, and here you are saying "take all my liberties and save me" . What is wrong with you? How come you hate poor people and freedom?
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yes. He doesn't like how a russian researcher arrived at his data but offered no alternative for how to test the number of deaths caused by people having no access to food because of having no jobs and also where FDR literally ordered the burning of crops because lower food prices would have saved poor people and FDR couldn't have that? https://fee.org/articles/four-myths-about-americas-great-depression/
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Singularity
It is not false or ad hominem it is insight into why you could give a shit less if die.
7 million Americans did not die in the Great Depression- that is a lie developed by people working against US interests in order to damage US interests.

You are arguing that we should increase the death rate in the US in the interest of preserving wealth, I am arguing that more lives are preserved by prioritizing public health before fiscal health.  The one piece of evidence you brought was bullshit, therefore your argument is unfounded. 

My biography is irrelevant.  Your biography is irrelevant (and almost certainly fictional).  Do you have any non-ridiculous non-lies for evidence to support your thesis or are you done?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Singularity
Oromagi says a change in population growth rate was the sole justification used for that claim. Neither of you directly link the paper in question which is why I must ask you this question:

Is what oromagi said a truth or a lie?