Israel air strikes kill 9 in Syria

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 61
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
We'd probably have better relations in the Arab world without Israel. We unilaterally defend a country they hate.

Heck, we end up taking out their enemies after they give us falsified intelligence. Good old Saddam and his WMDs....
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ILikePie5
And the muslims? Bosnians are muslims and Albanians yet Albania loves America

I would argue instead that it is more about development than religion as well as the non-stop bombing of their countries by Obama and Bush, remember Bush was going to take out 7 countries in 5 years
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
If you took the time to take a look and study the middle east you would hate this county and realize it is quickly losing it's influence so I dont blame you
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I thought you were pro-Israel???
If so, I’m liking the shift😎
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
We'd probably have better relations in the Arab world without Israel.
Their ideology is incompatible with ours; I wholeheartedly disagree.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@bmdrocks21
there wasn't widespread anarchy before the UN was established. 
Ah, the innocent ignorance of youth. When does your history begin? Well after the demise of the USSR? No anarchy before the UN? What you haven't experienced in memory ought to be researched before making such millennial claims, because they don't hold water, my young friend. League of Nations. Give it a look.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Dr.Franklin
The Middle East is far different than Eastern Europe my friend.
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
No worries, israel will own all the land God gave to em. Its prophesied. 

I believe this map is correct for the most part. Sources primarily genesis 15:18 and numbers 34:1-12

triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@fauxlaw
No response, eh? 
Imabench
Imabench
The two biggest reasons that there is a segment of Islam/Muslims that fucking hate America with all their guts is because of the US's:

1) Constant intervention and bombardment of multiple primarily Muslim countries 
2) Constant support for Israel even when they do shit like build settlements on occupied Palestine land 

If the US strong-arms Israel into returning Palestine to autonomy (in exchange they can keep the Golan Heights and the Gaza strip, they won those fair and square), and then the US promptly fucks off from the region and lets Israel/Saudi Arabia/Iran become the regional problem causer, then 95% of the objections that Islamic extremists have with the US vanishes into thin air. 

The US could definitely strong arm Israel into a settlement as well.... Only the US and countries in western Europe do not acknowledge the existence of Palestine, and thats only because the US doesnt and west Europe simply follows along because the US is their big ally. If Israel is dumb enough to resist then they would risk isolating themselves from the US, and also from China and Russia that already recognize Palestine as an occupied area, which is something they simply cannot afford to do when Saudi Arabia and Iran become bigger foes with every passing year. 

Why we continue to back Israel and their actions while continuing out fuckery in the Middle East is beyond me 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
The antiquity of sovereignty starts and ends where it best suits.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Imabench
Why we continue to back Israel etc.
Why indeed?

What you need to ask yourself is, who actually is "we". 

And who is actually backing who and why?

And who is actually controlling who?.....Whoops!....Conspiracy theory.

God bless America hey.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@fauxlaw
Yeah, the League of Nations was a failure and the UN gave veto power to the biggest enemy of the free world during the Cold War. Good for you, bud. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Imabench
Why we continue to back Israel and their actions while continuing out fuckery in the Middle East is beyond me 

It really is 100% a religion thing. See posts 6 and 38 for example.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It's not about taking the time. I'm learning other things and don't have the focus to study the middle east overall. I know about some conflicts, but the Israeli-Palestine one is one I am uneducated on
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Definitely not religion, it has more to do with the power of the Israel lobby and the political establishment. Since when are Jews the majority of the US?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@bmdrocks21
changed my view a bit
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
UNHRC Is riddled with totalitarian regimes purchasing seats, openly and in secret.

China owns 1/3 of the WHO seats and subcommittee seats from one article I read.

America isn't represented well in any international organization because we are not totalitarian enough to play the game like China, Middle East, Africa, and Russia.
Envisage
Debates: 3
Envisage
I love how this post gives zero context thus people just argue over the headline using nothing but their pre-existing biases and judgements on Israel.

Facts please.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Envisage
Those killed were probably members of Shi'ite militias backed by Iran. It's no secret that Israel's policy since the beginning of the Syrian Civil War has been to try to kick these influences out of the country, as it considers them a security threat. It's done this before, more than once. This is simply the latest instance.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@triangle.128k
You are right Jews are not the religious majority in the west, Christians are. Some of the more fanatical elements of Christianity have decided to fulfill some prophecy or other about gods chosen people returning to the promised land.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Some of the more fanatical elements of Christianity have decided to fulfill some prophecy or other about gods chosen people returning to the promised land.
But that's literally antithetical to Christianity, I wouldn't be surprised if that notion was a plot by the CIA and/or Israeli disinformation campaigns. The basic premise of Christianity is that followers of the messiah (Christ) continued to be, or became, God's chosen people, while the rabbinical Jews who rejected the messiah had lost their status as God's chosen people. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@triangle.128k
Can you account for the fact that supporters of Israel in the west tend to be more religious while their detractors in the west tend to be less religious?

You can deny that Christians support Israel for religious reasons, the problem with this denial is that you would be incorrect.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@triangle.128k

After reading the above you might say "Those people are supporting Israel for religious reasons but I disagree with those reasons". It would be perfectly valid for you to say that. In fact it is exactly what I would say.

However

After reading the above you might say "Those people are supporting Israel for entirely non-religious reasons". This would not be logical to say because it is so clearly and blatantly untrue.

Do you understand what I am saying?

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Can you account for the fact that supporters of Israel in the west tend to be more religious while their detractors in the west tend to be less religious?

You can deny that Christians support Israel for religious reasons, the problem with this denial is that you would be incorrect.
Christians who support Israel in the west tend to be Evangelical Protestants for one, which is a denomination of Christianity known for its strong political ties to the GOP and CIA. Regardless, western Christians in general tend to be pretty lukewarm compared to eastern Christians. Moreover, they're pretty much ignorant of the situation where Christians in Palestine are displaced by Israeli settlement policies.

This is literally a zionist website dude, it even says it in their "About Us."

After reading the above you might say "Those people are supporting Israel for religious reasons but I disagree with those reasons". It would be perfectly valid for you to say that. In fact it is exactly what I would say.

However

After reading the above you might say "Those people are supporting Israel for entirely non-religious reasons". This would not be logical to say because it is so clearly and blatantly untrue.

Do you understand what I am saying?
I never denied they don't support for religious reasons. What I am saying is that those religious reasons are stupid, flawed, and baseless. It literally contradicts one of the basic presmises of Christianity, which is the fulfillment of the faith through the messiah (Christ). Anybody can simply take a Bible and cherry-pick things left and right to suite their agenda. Doesn't make it logical or coherent.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@triangle.128k
I never denied they don't support for religious reasons.
This conversation started with me saying "it is for religious reasons" (44) and you saying "No definitely not" (46)

So, uhhh... yeah. That's all I have to say about that lmao.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Nowhere did I deny that it was not for religious reasons. What I did say, however, was that those religious reasons were stupid and contradictory.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@triangle.128k
Nowhere did I deny that it was not for religious reasons. What I did say, however, was that those religious reasons were stupid and contradictory.

1) I did not say I agree with the reasons, I just said they exist.

2) I did say that I disagree with those reasons at least once possibly more than once.

3) Please compare post 57 and post 46. Specifically the "definitely not for religious reasons" part of post 46. Please write a short (1-2 sentences) of how these posts compare and get back to me.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
3) Please compare post 57 and post 46. Specifically the "definitely not for religious reasons" part of post 46. Please write a short (1-2 sentences) of how these posts compare and get back to me.
I stated that the reason for American support behind Israel was due to the CIA and power of the Israeli lobby. I stated that religion was not the reason behind US support for Israel. Never did I deny that it was the reason for garnering the support of individuals for Israel. All I simply said was that it was not the reason for the US itself backing Israel.

Attitudes of individuals =/= Actions of the US government

Nice pathetic attempt at semantics 

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@triangle.128k
Many Evangelical Christians would point to OT prophecies and the Book of Revelation as evidence that in the last days Israel would be reestablished, and believe that the fact of a general covenant between God and humanity through the coming of Jesus did not nullify God's promises to the Jews. They see the events of 1948 as the fulfillment of End Times scripture.
They also believe that the Third Temple will be constructed by the Jews (on the site of the Temple Mount), and that the Antichrist will defile it. But since prophecy must be fulfilled before the Second Coming they welcome all of these developments.

Some years ago there was an American Christian man who came to Israel seeking to burn down the Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa mosque which would pave the way for the rebuilding of the Temple. So yes, supporting Israel is quite in line with some interpretations of the Bible.

Of course, it helps that Israel's culture and norms of government is a lot more western than the surrounding Muslim country, so even though they're Jewish the argument could be made that this is a Huntington-style case of "members of one civilization come to the aid of their own in defense against the alien other". Both the conservative and religious motivations are compatible within the Republican party.