Coal is dead and the Coronavirus has killed it

Author: Imabench

Total: 19
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Interesting fucking headline thats easy to miss given the current pandemic going on, the coal industry is virtually in its own deathbed thanks to the Coronavirus 

"Coal has been struggling for many years. Now there's a drop in demand because of the economic shutdown (as well as warmer weather), but coal is being pummeled more than other sources of energy.... Right now, coal is more expensive than natural gas, wind or solar in many parts of the country. So when demand slows, coal plants are the first to shut down."

Coal is more expensive than Wind, Solar, and Natural gas, and it's not as powerful as Nuclear. Those reasons were why the coal industry was falling apart BEFORE the coronavirus even hit. Now that the virus has become a pandemic, energy consumption has plummeted, and coal now faces the same issue oil is having: Too much production and not enough places to store the excess. The issue is that while oil is wealthy enough to weather the storm until the pandemic is curtailed, coal does not have that luxury, and shutdowns are now accelerating. 

"Andrew Blumenfeld, an IHS Markit research analyst, says coal stockpiles at power plants were "basically double what it should be at this time of year." He also suspects excess inventory is forcing some mining companies to shut down...... Blumenfeld has been in the coal industry for three decades and says he has never seen such a sudden and severe downturn."

When these coal plants shut down, they will not be immediately reopened once the Coronavirus is gone simply because the option for cheaper and more powerful sources of energy exist. Coal up to this point has at least had the benefit of being such a formerly dominant energy source that it could defend the territory it has that remained the most profitable while just trimming the edges to stay relevant. The Coronavirus though has shifted the margin needed to stay profitable that for coal just cannot be sustained, which will inevitably lead to closures of minor companies and then the big ones. 

TLDR: The US will run on green energy more than ever because the Coronavirus has been fucking the Coal Industry harder than most actual countries 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Now if only we can get people to stop smoking, drinking, and being 100 pounds overweight...

Where is the virus to kill that?

It's surreal the attention paid to polluting the environment by small degrees as we give a pass to the casual poisoning and polluting of our bodies that halves a person's lifespan.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Greyparrot
Well for smoking, COVID should have killed that industry...
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Barney
Well for smoking, COVID should have killed that industry...

Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Greyparrot
WOW!
Envisage
Debates: 3
Envisage
-->
@Imabench
I don't see this as a long-term situation.

The reason why coal has been struggling recently is because demand has dwindled, due to shifting energy production across the industrialised work towards oil/gas fired plants. Renewables are also making a dent, albeit a small one for now.

The switch has been made because bluntly, coal is filthy, the soot and pollution (non-CO2) are not viable near where populations live.

That is to say, the supply is there, we have several hundred years worth of coal consumption accessible, much less for oil and gas (several decades, with steeply increasing costs of extraction). Unless in the future renewables and nuclear ramp up to take a significant amount of the slack then demand for coal will simply return again.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Now if only we can get people to stop smoking, drinking, and being 100 pounds overweight...

Where is the virus to kill that?
those things kill a particular person that does them.  Pollution and Global warming kills everyone. They are very different issues. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
those things kill a particular person that does them.  Pollution and Global warming kills everyone. They are very different issues. 

If you think you are not paying for those behaviors, you are sadly ignorant. Even more so under a single payer healthcare plan.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
It's surreal the attention paid to polluting the environment by small degrees as we give a pass to the casual poisoning and polluting of our bodies that halves a person's lifespan

Do you really think that it is impossible to want those things to change and also want renewable energy at the same time or are you just pretending to think that?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I guess I can pretend they are mutually exclusive to push a narrative that some guy got paid $50,000 a day on TV to plant inside my skull.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Okay but you shouldn't do that. Because they aren't mutually exclusive and the only person here saying they are is you.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
the only person here saying they are is you.

Quote me where I said that. or don't.

I can spot a contrived narrative from a mile away. Your bright tie colors are undermining your sneakiness.

You brought it up. You. Only you.

I note a discrepancy in the attention paid to 2 things, and your brain reflexively snaps to an extreme position.
That's not healthy dude. Who trained you to clap so loudly?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I'll start a Debate.

DD claims that GP says Coal Pollution and poor lifestyle health choices are mutually exclusive.

Do you accept?

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Change "says" to "implied" and I 100% accept. Send the challenge whenever you are ready
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I'll imply that I am interested in your hypothetical delusions.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Send the challenge whenever you are ready. I am trying to stay on the first page of the debate leaderboard and need some easy wins so please make it quick.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Halving a lifespan etc.

A lifespan is a lifespan and cannot be halved.

Life expectancy might be reduced. Nonetheless life expectancy is defined by many effects....Environmental, self imposed, accidental, genetic inheritance, war etc.

Though, average life expectancy has more than trebled over the past 100 years due to medical intervention anyway.

So perhaps we sometimes expect too much.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Maybe in America, companies will go to india and Central Asia, over a billion and a half people to serve
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Maybe in America, companies will go to india and Central Asia, over a billion and a half people to serve
  • not likely
  • Population of Asia including India is 4.6 billion
  • Demand for coal in Asia decreased 6% in 2019 (experts had anticipated an increase) and April 2020 demand is now down 40% from April 2019
  • Coal is state controlled in most of Asia- no outside companies are welcome 
  • India is a net exporter of coal although it must import steel quality coal
  • Both China and India have publicly acknowledged that when you factor in health impacts of coal fired plants, coal is far more expensive than any other energy source.  Coal could be free and it still would not be worthwhile to burn
  • At 2019 production levels, China has a 30 year internal supply