Parallels

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 34
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@Stephen

One cannot "mumble" the written word. Jesus!! , you really say some of the dumbest things.

Here's a great example of ignoring obvious context. What I said was you come across in your posts as someone who mumbles so others won't understand what you're saying, not that you literally mumble written words. For one, you don't answer questions directly.....if you answer at all. Or, if you don't like the question, you claim it's irrelevant. Or, you just give half answers hoping to get out of a dilemma.

Another ignorant and stupid statement. I highlight these ambiguous biblical contradictory anomalies in the hope that YOU & other apologist will examine them and offer an explanation. But YOU never can> Not without rewriting the scriptures and putting words into the mouths of bible authors. You are, for some reason , of the belief that presetting your

own thoughts and beliefs as fact  should somehow suffice. It doesn't. And neither does YOU trying to explain  these biblical contradictory  anomalies away by talking about things that don't even appear in the scripture to explain them away either.

You don't want an explanation. You want us to look at your supposed contradictions, and agree with you. You're questions are not questions, but statements. Like what Larry King does. I haven't made anything up. Everything I've stated is nothing new and understood by numerous bible scholars and ministers. I actually only scratch the surface at best.

You're comments are actually nothing new either. Even militant atheists who run talk shows and websites, who are supposedly well versed in the Bible do the same thing. I think some of them just go through scriptures, find one's that appear to say something controversial in contemporary terminology, and without any study beyond that make a claim posing questions that are not really questions. And then when someone answers the questions that they don't really want an answer for, they simply claim, like you do, that the person is rewriting the scripture. And that's kind of like mumbling.

But that is  exactly what YOU and your fellow apologist often do. You say words such as"kill" does not mean kill when it is spoken by god and you introduce ancient translations into the
argument  when it suites you to do so, as some kind of evidence to support your ridiculous claims.. You did this also with the words "all" and " everything". You have denied that in the case of god creating"everything", or "all" things it doesn't actually mean everything or all things.

And you're mumbling again.  This is not an adequate quotation by the way.

"There's no need to look at original language and translation, historical back ground,cultural context, etc."

I'll add the first sentence to the quotation

"You seem to have this idea that if something appears contradictory there's no further examination needed. There's no need to look at original language and translation, historical back ground, cultural context, etc."

But yes, it is exactly what we do. We look at original language and translation, historical back ground, cultural context, etc. I don't think that's what you're meaning to say though. And no, we do not say kill doesn't mean kill. We do acknowledge that there are different meanings to the word kill. Even today we all understand this. If a pro boxer says he's going to kill his opponent in their upcoming bout, do you think that boxer should be arrested for admitting to a murder plot?

Don't cross thread an old argument. It is strictly against forum rules to do so. You lost that argument   once,  so save it for that particular thread or start a thread of your own on the matter. 

For one thing, this is my thread. So you have permission to address that topic. And, you did a cross thread in your prior statement.

"But that is  exactly what YOU and your fellow apologist often do. You say words such as"kill" does not mean kill when it is spoken by god and you introduce ancient translations into the argument  when it suites you to do so, as some kind of evidence to support your ridiculous claims.. You did this also with the words "all" and "
everything". You have denied that in the case of god creating"everything", or "all" things it doesn't actually mean everything or all things."

And in one of those cross threads you're referring to (with my permission) I gave you contemporary examples of how all and everything have different meanings. Like "A great time was had by all", and "everything that could go wrong, went wrong". You completely ignored it by the way. Was that because you lost the argument since you seem to think that a non-response means just that?

I asked who was going to kill Cain when according to the bible at that time-"this day" -, there were only three people on the planet?  If there were others tell us who they were, where did they come  from?  And supply the evidence that supports your claim. 
I don't need to prove anything to you. You need to prove to me that they were the only three people on the planet. The scriptures indicate that Adam and Eve had numerous children, Cain and Abel had been alive for a good period of time (well into adulthood), and it actually wouldn't be logical for Adam and Eve not to have been sexually active during Cain and Abel's lifetime. And it's fairly clear that his fear was to be murdered by vengeful relatives for murdering Abel. Do you think they waited for Abel's murder to start reproducing all those children?

I've said enough. The BOP is on you.

It is funny . Given that on one hand your op bangs on about life in imprisonment and death for murderers in the 21st century and the we have first murderer on the planet get the rest of the planet to roam around on, raise a family and live to over 700 years. It is ridiculously "funny".

It doesn't matter what you think of Cain's punishment. You don't know what his life was like for 700 years. You're rewriting the story. If Cain couldn't bear the idea of being removed from God's presence, a theme we saw with both King David and Jesus, then who are you to rewrite the event?

And why do you quote only part of my statements, and add your own quotations?

Deary me, there there , poor sole and never mind.  He had just murdered his brother out of what appears to be jealousy  -  a trait inherited from god himself  when he created us in his image - no doubt. But was granted his life to roam the world, settle down, build a family and live to over 700 year sold. Yes, far "too much to bare" for anyone I should imagine. 

Sentenced to 700 years on planet death row! WOW! It must have all been pure torture for the lad. Certainly no mercy shown there was there. Yes it is hilariously funny when read slowly,isn't it.

“The LordGod, merciful and gracious, long suffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin …” Exodus 34:6-7.
Some of your arguments come across as personal issues as opposed to logical arguments. I know I asked you before, and I have no reason to think you'll answer this time, but here goes.

When you're addressing God, are you addressing him as a real person, or a fictional one?

DeusVult
DeusVult
-->
@RoderickSpode
Why wouldn't eternal punishment as described in the Bible be similar to life imprisonment? The latter term only presents a time limitation because we have no ultimate control over life and death. However, we do try. The medics try and keep humans alive as much as possible. The judicial system tries to prevent the convicted from taking their own life.
Well there was supposedly one woman (Sr. Faustina) who was permitted to view hell.  Here is what she wrote:

Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like...how terribly souls suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the conversion of sinners. I incessantly plead God's mercy upon them. O My Jesus, I would rather be in agony until the end of the world, amidst the greatest sufferings, than offend you by the least sin."

"Today, I was led by an angel to the Chasms of Hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw:
The First Torture that constitutes hell is:
The loss of God.

The Second is:
Perpetual remorse of conscience.

The Third is
That one's condition will never change.

The Fourth is:
The fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it. A terrible suffering since it is a purely spiritual fire, lit by God's anger.

The Fifth Torture is:
Continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own.

The Sixth Torture is:
The constant company of Satan.

The Seventh Torture is:
Horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies.

These are the Tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings.  There are special Tortures destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings related to the manner in which it has sinned.  There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another.

I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me.

So there you go, now you know the likely fate of those who are destined to hell.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RoderickSpode

You don't want an explanation.

I do. So you are  wrong again. Are you not sick of your opinions forever being wrong?

You want us to look at your supposed contradictions, and agree with you.

Wrong again. I want you to prove I am wrong and show  that the anomalies and contradictions that I highlight are complete;y wrong, with good solid factual evidence,  but again, you have failed miserably to do so. 

You're questions are not questions, but statements.

You are king of the pointless and irrelevant statements that simply attack the questioner instead of addressing the question. . With that said, there are many many questions that come with my statements, that you fail EVERY TIME to address and answer.

"There's no need to look at original language and translation, historical back ground,cultural context, etc."

But it is something that YOU and other APOLOGIST do often when you have painted yourself into a corner. You reach for some ancient translation in the hope that it will some how bail you out of the tight corner you have painted yourself into. You are simply a fraud.

I asked who was going to kill Cain when according to the bible at that time-"this day" -, there were only three people on the planet?  If there were others tell us who they were, where did they come  from?  And supply the evidence that supports your claim. 
I don't need to prove anything to you.

Then don't bother addressing anything I write, at all.. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!!!! But remember all the things that  I highlight come from YOUR own scripture. They are all claims made in your scripture, by Jew and supposedly early Christians. I am addressing and scrutinizing and questioning  BIBLICAL claims that YOU and other apologists agree with AND support and preach to others about.   SO YOU DO HAVE TO    ANSWER MY QUESTIONS AND YOU DO HAVE TO PROVE YOUR CLAIMS!!! Or stop preaching them and defending them

It is funny . Given that on one hand your op bangs on about life in imprisonment and death for murderers in the 21st century and the we have first murderer on the planet get the rest of the planet to roam around on, raise a family and live to over 700 years. It is ridiculously "funny".

It doesn't matter what you think of Cain's punishment.
To me it does.  And if it doesn't matter, why are you attempting to make up shite and invent explanations for it.

Deary me, there there , poor sole and never mind.  He had just murdered his brother out of what appears to be jealousy  -  a trait inherited from god himself  when he created us in his image - no doubt. But was granted his life to roam the world, settle down, build a family and live to over 700 year sold. Yes, far "too much to bare" for anyone I should imagine. 

Sentenced to 700 years on planet death row! WOW! It must have all been pure torture for the lad. Certainly no mercy shown there was there. Yes it is hilariously funny when read slowly,isn't it.

“The LordGod, merciful and gracious, long suffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin …” Exodus 34:6-7.
Some of your arguments come across as personal issues as opposed to logical arguments.

More opinion. 

I know I asked you before, and I have no reason to think you'll answer this time, but here goes.

When you're addressing God, are you addressing him as a real person, or a fictional one?

I have never addressed or spoken to god personally. I have and am though addressing someone - YOU - who believes and  hangs on every word  these scriptures claim and say.  And then goes and  preaches those same words to others as gospel truth and the word of your god. But can never ever support or back up the claims made in these scriptures.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@DeusVult
That's interesting, but I'm not sure why you posted this. The topic of the thread is not really about what hell is like.

But for the record, there are numerous claims of going to hell and back by various individuals.