Does "live streaming" services count (if you're a believer)?

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 9
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
With all the restrictions in place on large group gatherings, many churches including those in my state are using "live streaming" to get their adherents at least virtually together to worship, As a believer, do you think this "counts" if your faith mandates that you gather together on a regular basis to worship? Let's say you are unfortunate enough to pass away during this pandemic. When youget to your place of judgement, the arbiter of your preference says "Almost everything in here looks in order, but let's talk about the last couple of weeks of church services. Easter, specifically." (For Christians). Do you think you get in, or are you out?

Obviously the follow on question: if virtual services count, what do we need the buildings for exactly?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ludofl3x
Melcharez & I were touching on this the other day.  Obviously, Paul's encouragement to assemble did not take into account later tech like phones and video, etc.  What proof can anybody provide that the apostles would have failed to see a zoom conference as an assembly?

I notice that both of the megachurch pastors who have been charged with endangering their parishioners made youtube videos of Sunday service and many other assemblies and had no problem with people watching their services remotely before the pandemic.  Only once an opportunity arose to get publicity by forcing an arrest for  preaching did either preacher suddenly have a problem with live streaming.  My study of history suggests that most martyrs have to go well out of their way to force authorities to act..

Let's recall that lepers in the time of Jesus and Paul were not permitted to even enter the city much less attend Christian assemblies.  St. Francis may have kissed a leper but he never suggested that one should be permitted in church.

I think its a silly concern that arises from overly an overly concretized interpretation of fairly abstract concepts (faithfulness and spiritual intercourse)

Jesus made no specific architectural demands for correct worship.  Quite the opposite: the church is for
  • receiving new believers
  • restoring the faith of backsliders, and
  • reconciliation of brethren
None of which requires a building or personal contact- only communication

Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
Matthew 18
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
it counts
Barney
Debates: 51
Barney
As a simple analogy, why attend a local church when you could travel for months or years to get to Rome to attend a service?

We adapt to changing needs of both time and space.

rosends
rosends
Andwering from the POV of Orthodox Judaism:

Yes and no. While there is some value, especially psychologically, and in some exigent circumstances, connecting via technology can satisfy a religious obligation, for the most part, attending a service over the phone or video does not qualify as having been among a quorum required for certain prayers and obligations.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Unfortunately  God needs us all to meet at the clubhouse AT LEAST once a week. 
It's a group building,  group strengthening  thing. 

And We all know that the good Lord lovesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss  CASH.
The church is the perfect place to ask for this. 
So no church simply takes away there best money collecting Avenue. 
Rubble, rubble,  rubble.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Once as a young man in France, in Provence, I attended a Catholic mass [I'm not a Catholic]. I wanted to witness the proceedings, not being familiar with the mass. It was a new experience, and I appreciated the priest's homily, but was particularly struck by the service of the Eucharist, not because it was different from my experience, but because of one man who went forward with others in the congregation. This man, I judged to be about 50, was horribly crippled. on two short canes, he crawled with uses and deformed legs. I learned later that they were injured in a farming accident. I sat far back in the chapel, on the aisle, but5 he was further back. As he crawled by me, and on done the aisle, I observed his struggle, abd watched him the whole way until he, too, could partake from the priest, who smiled with pure love into hte man's face. Then, I watched him crawl back up the aisle. He was weeping openly, but I perceived it was not due to his pain, which his body expressed we;; enough. He was weeping for the joy of, once again, committing his faith and love of Jesus for having removed his sins, for by his sacrifice, he understood the message of the atonement and a repentant heart. He brought tears to my eyes. At length, I chatted with the priest, who told me the man's story. I related to him my thinking about the man's tears. The priest told me, simply, "He loves the Lord."
That experience would have never been had by an internet service. We need one another, close at hand, to support, share love, encourage, and mourn. of necessity, we are separated, and I pray it will be brief.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Where 2 or more are gathered together in my name, there am i in the midst of them.
(See matthew 18:20)

Forsake not the assembling together
(See hebrews 10:25) 

Lets break down what "gathering together" and "assembly" mean. 

It shows it as a gathering together in 1 place. Not multiple places watching the same thing. Technology doesnt replace the context of what scriptures mean. 

Lets take a look at church history to see what christians did in the past during a plauge. Or we can look at Jesus who healed the sick. 

Here are 4 examples of what christians did. And just because we have technology doesnt mean we can sit behind a screen and call it keeping the assembly.  If your pastor told you to stay home, then obey him. If not, then you can always have assembly at home or elsewhere.

1272 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@ludofl3x
I'm not against people seeking company with other's of similar ideals, (Generally speaking).

As other's above say, there is something one can gain in such a gathering,
Humans 'are social animals.

Though I'm fair fond of the two pieces below,
I understand people's appreciation of a church.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

"Pray without ceasing."

I'm fond of these two pieces,
Seeming to me, to encourage authentic living, mindfully and fully living one's beliefs.

I'm fond of such thought,

“When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.”
— Confucius
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Churches and/or attached buildings,
Have also often served uses 'other than prayer,

"The first Christian hospitals, or “xenodocheia,” a Greek word denoting “houses for strangers,” cared for pilgrims, the poor and those with infirmities. Bishops founded these hospitals during the fourth and fifth centuries, particularly in the Byzantine Empire. During the early ninth century, Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne, ordered that every cathedral have an attached hospital, underscoring the bishop’s central role as protector and healer of his flock.
Monasteries were also key providers of medical care during this period. The influential Rule of St. Benedict, written in the fifth century to provide directives for the daily communal living of monks, affirmed the Christian duty to care for the sick as if they were Christ.
Throughout the Middle Ages, infirmaries were spaces run by monasteries for the healing and convalescence of those who were ill. Monastic infirmaries not only treated monks, but also sick guests coming from outside a monastery’s walls. Monasteries were also centers of medical learning."

A place to meet, plan, organize,
Store records, direct charity and volunteer activities from.