Because of recent bannings, is the Dart Forum just a bit too fluffy and nice at the moment.

Author: zedvictor4

Total: 15
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Are the robust of mind having to be the fall guys for the whims of the oversensitive.
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
Fuck you
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@zedvictor4
nothing wrong with people getting along and having a good time 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@zedvictor4
https://www.debateart.com/participants/RationalMadman/questions?page=2&question_number=91

I can get nasty and clash when I want to, but nice when I want to
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Ya shits dry in politics forum rn
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
A nice community is better than an apathetic and distainful one. Keep reporting violations and banning the trouble makers. They will be replaced with more decent people eventually.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Malcharaz

A community is a community and getting rid of the people who don't agree with you....well that brings to mind names like Stalin,  Pol Pot etc etc. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
Now, that's nice friendly debating.   LOL
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
Hopefully less bans will be needed in future.

Out of curiosity, what level of people being complete dicks would say say should warrant moderation intervention?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Melcharaz
you can be nice and apathetic
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Not really. And im not gonna go off topic about it. 
If they violate rules, warn em, they keep doing it, ban em.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
Well in the main moderation only needs to be a quiet word, though if poor behaviour still persists then I suppose one has no choice but to take things further. 

I personally regard offence as the decision of the offended rather than any serious malintent by the perpetrator, certainly there have been no recent incidences on Dart that have exceeded this principle.

Dart really is just a bit too fluffy and nice currently. One misses the edginess that participants such as Ethang and Willows brought to the table. I was often at the end of Ethang's acerbic tongue, but that was all part of the enjoyment of Dart.

My advice to more sensitive souls would simply be to ignore what or who they find offensive...Ignorance is bliss after all.

Though sometimes it's as if the offence game is all a part of some peoples strategy.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
I was literally just having a discussion with a user, about the agreed need for rhetoric devices to be permitted, even if they are impolite (not to say ones that are outright vile).

It's hard to codify where the line is, as much as I hope everyone agrees that there is one which may be crossed.

I'm leaning toward viewing the line as targeted harassment, as opposed to insults.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
Yep.

Though I would still say that in some circumstances being the target is part of the game for some.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but as I see it, the anonymity one has when participating on such sites somewhat implies that the root of perceived problems often lies with the recipient rather than with the perpetrator.

Ignorance really is a powerful tool in these sort of circumstances, but some people just don't seem to be able to ignore. Or perhaps even, they actually  do not want to ignore.

As I said maybe I'm too old and too thick skinned to understand. There was no internet when I was a teenager so disagreements were always face to face and sometimes ended up with a punch on the nose....So walk away and get over it.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Barney
Too much banning encourages apathy. It's a fine line.