Which infinity stone would you take and why

Author: Outplayz

Total: 89
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
In this scenario would you take one: When you are finished with this life and die... some entity appears to you and says in your next life you can have one of these stones. Would you go through a new experience getting to have one of these stones?  
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
Why would that change the nature of the problem with wielding an infinity stone or my answer?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
Bc you would have lived this life how you want to until the end. It's a new start. You wouldn't want to experience a reality where these things are real? 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
The problem of being driven mad by the power and/or the implications of said power remain unaltered and so by extension does my answer.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
Sorry I'm a bit if a downer on subjects like this but if there is a superpower that wouldn't be an absolute curse then I've never heard of it and an increase in power only exacerbates this. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
I wouldn't say it is an absolute curse. It wouldn't likely be a blessing either. It would be a struggle... just like this life, that you would have to overcome. I think you are going a little too far thinking its only downsides, but who am i to say... it very well could be hell to you just like an idea of the Christian heaven is a hell to me. I guess the question is would you even ever want to experience such a reality where these things are real which seems like you wouldn't. Your take is just interesting to me bc if i apply my belief to it... your view on this makes this world make a little more sense to me. 
Logical-Master
Debates: 6
Logical-Master
Time stone is all you need in life. No matter how bad you f*ck something up, you can always get a do-over.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
You name a superpower and I'll pointput why you wouldn't want it in real life.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
Okay. Let's start with a tough one: Superman's power. 

Edit: Tough as in him being tough not for you to tell me why it isn't good lol. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
To be a constant outsider even when surrounded by others? To be constantly aware of the pain of humanity because of your super senses? To be forever both alone and never have any privacy? To watch everyone you know grow old and die while you remain? Which part of that spunds pleasant to you?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
All of it sounds like something i can handle. I wouldn't say pleasant to some parts, but sounds pleasant none the less... it sounds just like life to me. 

To be a constant outsider even when surrounded by others?
I don't care what others think of me. I'm confident i will be able to find people i can love and likely be loved back... that's all that matters to me. 

To be constantly aware of the pain of humanity because of your super senses? 
I can control when i hear it so it wouldn't be constantly. But when i do decide to listen in... i will try to help as many as i can and feel bad i couldn't help more. Then get on with my life. I'm not going to say i don't care in this situation, but it wouldn't effect me. I don't even know if i would use my powers to help people. If i did, it wouldn't be something i do all the time. I'd fix certain iniquities, and let others experience as what they would have had to without me. 

To be forever both alone and never have any privacy?
I wouldn't be completely alone which would be frightening... but the thought of being alone in life doesn't scare me. I'm really good at talking to people... even if it is off random whim. Never have privacy doesn't bother me either... bc i can fly to space and no one else can. And here... if people won't leave me alone when i want to be left alone... fear is a motivator i can utilize easy. 

To watch everyone you know grow old and die while you remain? 
I have to experience this anyways. I'll just experience it more. It would be sad but i can handle it. All i can hope for is that there is some peace for them and that one day we might meet again. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
I can control when i hear it so it wouldn't be constantly. 
According to dc cannon superman hears everything and also any specific thing he decides to concentrate on simultaneously and hearing is far from his only super sense so I'm not so sure you are right about being able to stop being aware but even if you couldand did wouldn't it tear your heart out if you found out later that someone you care about was hurt or killed while you weren't paying attention?

fear is a motivator i can utilize easy. 
So you would be a tyrant?

one day we might meet again. 
For that you would have to die (according to your currently held beliefs) and superman does not seem able to do that (at least not permanently).

I don't care what others think of me. 
Let's hope not because you would know everything anyone ever said about you in exquisite detail.

I can love and likely be loved back
That is part of the problem. As a near immortal there would be no end to your mourning.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
if you couldand did wouldn't it tear your heart out if you found out later that someone you care about was hurt or killed while you weren't paying attention?
I'm pretty sure he can control it. Let's go off movie cannon bc i am not thinking of the original cannon. Just like life... it would piss me off, but i would just have to deal with it.   

So you would be a tyrant?
No. But i would definitely be more powerful than others and they'd know it. If there is 100's of people outside my door i would make clear i don't like that. I'd be nice about it... but, if they don't listen then yeah... i'd be a tyrant at that point.

For that you would have to die (according to your currently held beliefs) and superman does not seem able to do that (at least not permanently).
I would only do it if i could die so i would make sure there is an off switch before picking powers. Plus, the cannon just isn't dead with superman... who knows if the writer one day has him die.. What happened is he lived in the sun for millions of years and came out as superman prime... basically god like when he came out. I don't remember if they ever killed him. But... in any case, whatever life i pick powers in i would always make sure there is a way i could die.  

Let's hope not because you would know everything anyone ever said about you in exquisite detail.
I would most def. have fun with that. 

That is part of the problem. As a near immortal there would be no end to your mourning.
I would never want any reality in which i am immortal in... that is what scares me in regards to heaven. Even if things are "paradise" i would eventually find it to be hell if i knew i would never die to hopefully reset and experience something new. So if i live a life having powers like superman, i would make sure at some point i could die. Even if in the next life i am an ordinary human being. Actually, i would likely yearn for it eventually. Which is why i think humanity is brilliant. Bc any person that lives eons with powers would eventually yearn for simple mortality. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
I would never want any reality in which i am immortal in.

You said superman's powers and one of those is immortality, or cat least functional immorality, you don't get to pick and choose here either you have the powers of the man of steel or you don't. I'm just pointing out the practical flaws and downsides. Like don't shoot the messenger yeah.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
You said superman's powers and one of those is immortality, or cat least functional immorality, you don't get to pick and choose here either you have the powers of the man of steel or you don't. I'm just pointing out the practical flaws and downsides. Like don't shoot the messenger yeah.
Fine i'll give you that. Let me just rephrase this then. I would be fine with any power except for true immortality. "True" as in can never die. Something like a Vampire's immortality i'd be fine with. Any of my favorite powers, as long as i could die. That's the deal. With that, i'll just say, with someone like me you can never convince a reality with "magic" wouldn't be awesome. That's why i choose to have a belief that can make that possible, and why one of my main caveats is that you don't have to come with me. We are literally talking about what i would define as paradise, so i don't think you can convince me otherwise on this one. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
You do not choose your beliefs.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
Why not? Anything could be possible. Why not believe in whatever you want? 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
You must believe what you think is true. I defy you to believe something which you believe to be false. If this proves impossible, as I suspect you will, then you must concede that whether we must believe the actual truth or not we have no choice but to believe what we consider truth and in that case beliefs are not a choice but rather a product of our perceptions which we also do not choose.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Logical-Master
Then it's not you who did it and not you who went back in time to fix it.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
You must believe what you think is true. I defy you to believe something which you believe to be false. If this proves impossible, as I suspect you will, then you must concede that whether we must believe the actual truth or not we have no choice but to believe what we consider truth and in that case beliefs are not a choice but rather a product of our perceptions which we also do not choose.
The way that i think i do believe certain things could be true that i find to be less likely... or more so false. Such as a simulation theory, deism, or even a pagan belief of multiple gods. I think these could also be the case just less likely to the one i would rather be right. So yeah, to some degree it is my perception that my favorite could be true. However, i've believed this one ever since i can remember. Before learning about religion or anything about spirituality. I've just decided that if anything is true it is what i naturally thought to be true when i was 3 or 4. So, i've personally chosen to go with that and justify what i intuitively knew as a kid with no knowledge of spirituality. I don't see how that isn't a choice. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
Do you believe that your beliefs are true? 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
Not necessarily. When i say i believe them... i believe it could be true more than not. Like 70/30% sure/unsure. I def. think anything is possible, and nothing being one of those choices is just one element. However, when it comes to my belief... or i shouldn't say belief per se... what i would label as "paradise" or an afterlife i suspect... i'm a bit optimistic. Bc there is more than one platform that leads to what i would label as this paradise. My source hypothesis, a simulation theory, an evolving incorporeal consciousness, a Boltzman brain, Solipsism even. All of these have similar implications that could lead to a 'paradise' as i define it. i think you know what i mean by paradise, that's why i quote it... bc i don't mean the Christian paradise.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
So you believe that it is true that there is a chance not a certainty. You still believe that is true don't you? You believe that anything is possible because you consider that the truth. I defy you to believe that not everything is possible. I do not think that you can because you do not consider that true. You cannot simply choose to believe something which you consider to be false whatever that is for you subjectively.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
I don't get it bc i do also believe nothing could be true. It's just something that doesn't take much thought. If nothing is true than it's nothing. There really is no creativity or imagination for the matter. It's just nothing. So it doesn't take much thought. I acknowledge it... and then move on to things that could be true... and weigh them accordingly. In the end, i am choosing to go with a belief that i find more likely... this is all choice. I don't get if you are using word-play to assert it isn't a choice, if you are, i don't get it yet. I'm not trying to be argumentative... i have no problem in saying it's not a choice, i'm not understanding what you mean though bc it all seems like a choice.  
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
Then you are a very rare case but you still are unable to believe in anything you think is definitely false. Believing in everything does not require a choice and so unless I misunderstand you you still did not choose your beliefs. In fact let's go a step farther. You believe that it is more probable that anything is possible than that nothing exists. You did not choose to believe that it is just what you consider to be more likely true than the alternatives. If you didn't think it was true you would not believe it. Honestly I'm not sure that anyone makes any choices at all but that is a seperate discussion.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
Then you are a very rare case but you still are unable to believe in anything you think is definitely false. Believing in everything does not require a choice and so unless I misunderstand you you still did not choose your beliefs. In fact let's go a step farther. You believe that it is more probable that anything is possible than that nothing exists. You did not choose to believe that it is just what you consider to be more likely true than the alternatives. If you didn't think it was true you would not believe it. Honestly I'm not sure that anyone makes any choices at all but that is a seperate discussion.

You are being a philosopher stone over here lol. I think you are thinking too much into it. Based off observation, experience, and a little thinking on my part i find one to be more likely than the other. That could change at any time... so, if all the sudden there is all of the above against my beliefs i have no problem in switching the likelihoods around. I very well could be a rare case bc i really haven't met too many people like me. I mean, people can concede they may be wrong... but, i have extensively been looking into spiritual platforms. Usually people that do that will end up with an ironclad this or that... especially if they've spent so much time on it. But i am sorta ambivalent. The science seems to go towards nothing and not, the philosophy tends to go towards something and not. Throw in i have had unexplained experiences... i'm a very confused skeptic/spiritualist.  

In any case, i still don't understand what you mean by things aren't a choice. Yes... i don't think anyone can believe in something that is def. false. I will never believe 2+2 = 5. That to me sounds like a choice based off logic and observation. I'm doing the same thing with my beliefs. I just see things add up to give a little more likelihood to something other than nothing being the case. I have a couple platforms i have decided that explain this nothing is something best. That's all choice. Is this no choice thing you are saying similar to people that say free will isn't a thing? 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
It is exactly like saying freewill isn't a thing. I mean it could be but I see no conclusive evidence for or against it and I am unable to maintain a belief in the absence of evidence. You still don't seem to be understanding what I mean about choice and beliefs. You believe in what you think is true until something convinces you otherwise. It doesn't matter what you believe is true you believe it because you are convinced it is true. Even if you have the beliefs of a very confused spiritual skeptic.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
I see, that's why i'm not getting you. I don't think like that when it comes to reality... i'm very much a here and now type of person. I'm making choices, i'm free to make these choices... and that's all i care about. I will be too far gone if i start looking deep into these issues. I mean, one of my spiritual beliefs implicates that i am the video game character in this video game... and my true self is either incorporeal or somewhere else playing me while i am here. Therefore, yeah... these really aren't my choices and i don't have free will if we go the route of this game already having a beginning and end. So, i'm very much an atheist when it comes to philosophical thinking of reality. I take it at face value. It seems to me i am making choices, it seems to me i have free will... why question it? The only place that will end me up is being skeptical of reality itself... and, i don't want that to happen. I very much disconnect my spiritual beliefs when it comes to the here and now. Here and now... i'm human, i'm present, i'm alive... i have a path till death. Whatever it takes... i want my movie to be awesome... so that's what i do. 

Therefore, i don't think that i am not making choices or that i don't have free will. I won't question that. If i did... i would have to stop believing that i can conquer my reality and that's up to me to do. I'm the driver. So... i stay away from questioning reality and stick to the belief my choices and free will can get me anywhere if i do it right.   
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Outplayz
So what your saying is that you have no choice but to believe you have choice?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
Yep. I'll be willfully ignorant when it comes to questioning reality. I have no problem with that.