US States Mafia: DP1

Author: Vader

Total: 277
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@ethang5
He's pressuring you to claim the state you were given by dudz, not to lynch you hombre. This is about the same mistake all first timers make, so no worries 👍
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
I agree with you regarding it probably being a decent idea to mass character claim, i'm Iowa. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Unvote VTL EthanG

For a state claim

But as pointed out, a mass character claim is prob the best idea given it seems characters(states) aren't really linked to roles via justification. So getting state claims early in the hopes maf screws up and gets cc'd is prob the best bet. 

Because character analysis alone seems like it might not net anything beneficial. 

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
On another note, Ethang's suspicion of drafter, though incorrect, is exactly in line with the kind of sus I would expect from a first time townie. I'm gonna lean town on him for now tbh. 

Still want a character claim, but preferably en route to everyone outting their states 👍. 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Official Vote Count

Ethang5 2/5- Budda, Drafter

Pie is from DDO and has played in mafia
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Buddamoose
So a VTL may not necessarily be a VTL? Cool.

I was like, for an old head, this guys play sucks.

Vader
Vader
-->
@ethang5
VTL means vote to lynch
ethang5
ethang5
I was unvoted by Budda.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@ethang5
I unvoted Pie, then voted you. If you state claim i'll move on 👍

Vader
Vader
-->
@ethang5
he unvoted pie and voted u
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Buddamoose
Wait, in post #33 you unvoted me.
ethang5
ethang5
OK. Got it. Its pick on noob day.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Buddamoose
OK I will, but if I do it too quickly it will seem like I folded to your pressure. There are 2 scum in the game. I think Drafter is one, your whiteknighting him makes you the other. Am I wrong?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@ethang5
OK. Got it. Its pick on noob day.

Nothing personal, it's an ages old standard of operation. New players are, by virtue of being new, not as good at fake claiming if scum. 

Also so you know try to avoid editing. I saw what it was before,

But in post 33 you invited(I assume you meant unvoted?) me."

So no worries on that I can vouch it was innocent. But try to avoid it cause certain people will FoS it 😐.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ethang5
Consider it a mild infection that will get you killed if left untreated.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@ethang5
There are 2 scum in the game.
How do you know this?

I think Drafter is one, your whiteknighting him makes you the other. Am I wrong

How am I white knighting?

Even if i say you are wrong, cause tbh ur sus'ing a standard game start and assuming pressuring people, likely because its you, is suspect. Is that gonna even change whether or not you do?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Greyparrot
Why are you waiting to place ur vote on someone?

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheHammer
Why did you not vote anyone?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Vaarka
We tlaking ilikepie5? (or wwhatever his name was)

the one from DDO?

Yes, I do believe so. 

But why no vote placement? 

Vader
Vader
-->
@Vaarka
Yea it was iLikePie5
Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
-->
@Buddamoose
But why no vote placement? 
Why would I place a vote? We were on the first page, and other people were making their RVS. No need for me to

Plus it was like 1:30am and I was tired
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Buddamoose
VTL Pie

for a character(state) claim. Been having too much of that lately anyways

Been having too much of what?
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@drafterman
VTL ethang for country claim.
USA

How do I know this? I have inside knowledge
Vader
Vader
country claim.
*cough* *cough* US states

Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@drafterman
I wounder if this isn't a situation that doesn't call for a mass state claim.

Any state can be justified for just about any role, so state claiming is safer than in other games. The difference between town and mafia states isn't yet apparent, meaning mafia can't be sure as to what a good fake claim is (or even if they need one), so locking people into state claims early is beneficial.

Normally I'd be against this, claiming that "we can CC someone at a later time", but given there are 50 states, I can see your point. 

On the other hand, state claiming is useless because, yes we can still CC (even if unlikely), and if they don't connect to our role, then there's not much of a point. 
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Vader
Try to limit your posting to vote counts and answering questions. Too much mod interaction, especially arguing or whatever, can be detrimental. 

(But a little fluff is fun ;3)
Vader
Vader
-->
@Vaarka
Gotchu. Remember that to summon me you have bold SupaDaddy in your text
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Vaarka
Been having too much of what?

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@ethang5
Why is it pressure? I feel none.

In a game with only 8 people, lynching someone on no info just because you can is a sure way to lose, especially if you're town.

You just moved up my list of possible scum.

Mafia is a game of information. There are only three sources of information in the game: how players behave, the results players get from using their roles, and the character/role PMs of each player. We don't have access to the latter two, so the only thing we can do is look at how players behave.

The only tool players have to induce behavior is voting. While any vote is, technically, a "vote to lynch" voting has more utility than just lynching. Namely the aforementioned pressure. I put my vote on you as an indicating that I want you to tell us what your state is from your PM with Supa. The pressure comes from other people adding their vote to the tally, putting you at a real risk of being lynched. Without the actual threat of being lynched, there wouldn't be pressure and therefore people wouldn't ever claim under pressure.

So, no, I don't want to lynch you, I want you to claim. But if you don't claim, then you risk getting lynched. This is rather standard operating procedure when it comes to Mafia, especially DP1. Forcing you to claim locks you down to that claim. If we later discover that some states are town or scum for a reason, it'll either clear you (if town) or condemn you (if mafia). At this point, the most important take-away is how you react to being voted.

You are coming off as paranoid noob. New players tend to be anxious and very reactive. They are overly concerned about getting mislynched by scum when town (and thus treat every vote against them as an attempt by scum to get them killed) or are overly concerned about getting caught by town as scum (and thus treat every vote against them as having been caught).

Thinking I'm scum because I voted you is typical noob behavior, even if it is completely and utterly flawed.

As far as Budda. He unvoted pie, then put his vote on you. Some mods require that players unvote before placing their vote on someone else (for reasons that defy logic). So you will typically see "Unvote VTL someoneelse"

Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@ethang5

Why is it pressure? I feel none.

In a game with only 8 people, lynching someone on no info just because you can is a sure way to lose, especially if you're town.

You just moved up my list of possible scum.
He's putting vote pressure on you, like starting a wagon that says "you're this much closer to your death if you don't give in to my demands". You can either choose to say "HAH! Like I would give in to your demands!", or "Your attempt to get me to speak only harms us both, so I will answer your question to end this silly escapade". ... you could also just ignore it entirely

If you go with the first it'll likely be met back with even more pressure and a lot of eyes casting suspicion on you. If you go with the second, odds are the pressure will be removed unless they have reason to believe otherwise. 

If you ignore them, usually nothing happens and things either progressively go down the drain or the game moves at the same pace as before