WHO stands by recommendation to not wear masks

Author: TheDredPriateRoberts

Total: 45
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
It's a moot argument as the government can seize whatever ppe they feel is needed, since the government has the monopoly on violence.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
That is mild. The graph was also of current stock, not rate of replenishment, at a time when production was being ramped up. Don't take more information from a data set than it is giving you. Common rookie mistake ;)
I was trying to tell that to you. You are assuming that because most hospitals are not out of supplies this very second that this means there is no problem. But you have yet to provide any evidence that they are receiving more supplies than they are using up. 

i'm not pretending there is a magical solution. I'm saying giving medical masks to the general populace when 60% of hospitals are critically short of supplies is nuts. 
Not if it reduces pressure on hospitals by flattening the curve of infection rate.
There is no evidence it will do that. and if it causes a shortage leading the hospital staffs becoming sick and/or dying, then it would be massively counter productive. 

The idea that other countries make major geopolitical decisions based on something like mask purchasing tactics in naive, and in the end is just a cope. America is the world's only superpower, that comes with benefits for its citizens.
there is 2 problems here. 1) you are correct that if this was a one time thing, it wouldn't matter. But it isn't. This mentality that america can do what it wants because it's america is pervasive. That very much does affect major geopolitical decisions. 

2) America is only a superpower because it has the rest of it's alliance behind it. The US is the biggest kid on the block, but all the other kids together are stronger. Thinking of yourself as so powerful you can do what you want, is a good way to make everyone else hate you. 

This graph is from April.
you are the one who provided this, not me. I asked you to provide a source saying that there wasn't a critical shortage of supplies as many, many doctors are saying there is. This is what you came up with. If you are now rejecting this source, then please find another that supports your argument that there is no shortage. 

In the medical/biotech field, you typically call respirators respirators and surgical masks 'face masks' because they're different things. I've worked in biotech, and nobody ever called a respirator a 'mask' because, well, it's not a mask.
understood. However that article was written to be read by people who do not work in the medical field and do not know there is a difference between a mask and a respirator. I don't see anything in it that specifically clarifies what they mean. but either way, if there is a shortage of masks OR respirators, then they need to go to medical professionals 1st. That is the point of the article. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
@HistoryBuff
 how do you know what their recommendations were previously? I certainly don't. What the CDC recommends for flu season is not something 99% of people would ever have heard of. 
exactly, as Resurget pointed out in Japanese culture sick people wear masks, so if you go back to my point.....had they started decades ago, educating and encouraging people to wear masks especially during flu season people would be more use to it and compliant now right?

ResurgetExFavilla, for flu season people who were symptomatic with an u.r.i. could wear a properly homemade mask.  There was another study, when I homemade mask uses a plastic liner they were able to reduce the particle level to that of the N95.  Though they didn't explain how.  We are fitted for the N95 once a year.  I would suspect people are buying whatever they can find and or making what they can.  Instructions to build a better mousetrap just don't seem to be important.  Layers and type of fabric make a big difference as well, why isn't that information on the cdc website or on the news?

imo a plastic shield is probably the best home use device people could get generally speaking.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
Ya, I knew you wouldn't understand it based on your last response. That's OK.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
Ya, I knew you wouldn't understand it based on your last response. That's OK.
go back and reread your post. It isn't a sentence. I'm not sure if you didn't finish it or what, but it doesn't make sense. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
exactly, as Resurget pointed out in Japanese culture sick people wear masks, so if you go back to my point.....had they started decades ago, educating and encouraging people to wear masks especially during flu season people would be more use to it and compliant now right?
dear god... you are arguing it is the WHO's fault that america has a shitty culture? come on man. that is weak. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
dear god... you are arguing it is the WHO's fault that america has a shitty culture? 
I am?  these voices in your head that make you read things that aren't there, stop listening to them.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
It's OK, I get it you don't understand it.  I once heard someone say you have mastered the art of sarcasm when people think you are serious.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I am?  these voices in your head that make you read things that aren't there, stop listening to them.
you said

had they started decades ago, educating and encouraging people to wear masks especially during flu season people would be more use to it and compliant now right?
that implies that those other countries who do this have a better culture and that the WHO should have tried to force americans be like them. You think it is the WHO's fault that america has shitty culture?

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
It's OK, I get it you don't understand it.  I once heard someone say you have mastered the art of sarcasm when people think you are serious.
i'm sorry that a) you can't finish a complete sentence so that others know what you are talking about 

and b) that you can't acknowledge your own limitations and feel the need to lash out to feel better. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
Don't feel sorry.  I don't. Most especially for not wearing a mask and telling those who tell me I should to mind their own business. MASK NAZIS!!!!!!

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
Most especially for not wearing a mask and telling those who tell me I should to mind their own business. MASK NAZIS!!!!!!
yeah, shame on people for not wanting a man to spread disease and death. shouldn't they know that your freedom is more valuable than anyone else's lives?!?!? 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
staying 6 feet away is better than most masks generally available now.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
staying 6 feet away is better than most masks generally available now.
true, you should be staying 6 feet away from people. But wearing a mask is probably the least intrusive measure you can take. You aren't changing your life in any way, just wearing an extra piece of clothing. Maybe you won't get covid and pass it on and it will be a waste of time. But lots of people get it and don't realize it's covid and spread the disease around. You could be one of them and not know it. Everyone is much better off if we can all just take the basic steps to control the outbreak. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
Everyone is much better off if we can all just take the basic steps
that would apply to so many things.......again people don't like to be controlled, told or forced to do things, that just doesn't work well.  then you toss in the gross hypocrisy from those would be tyrants and here we are.