God created evil first. Think about it.

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 77
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@PGA2.0
All of that is through your modern, Western, Judeo-Christian worldview. For example, while you might find abortions immoral, others would argue that it is immoral to deny a woman an abortion. (I think we talked about this before in an old thread.)
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@PressF4Respect
The key to your multiple ancestry description, with which I do not disagree, is your statement "they [chickens] can no longer reliably reproduce," implying that at one time, they could, but both have evolved in separate paths rendering them now incompatible, which in no way disagrees with my premise that, at one time, they shared similar traits.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@fauxlaw
Here's a rough diagram of what I meant:
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
Therefore aiding Third World Nations naturally becomes a secondary and unimportant issue, and let's be honest, your average Joe probably never considers the issue at all, as they are  too preoccupied with the day to day necessities and requirements of their own survival.

We think that we are more civilised, and we might try to be more civilised, but at the end of the day when our own success or failure becomes an issue, do we not become the same instinct driven organisms that we ever were?

What do you think?
Personally, since charity doesn't seem to be instinctive, it's something beyond us. Of course charity, like religion, can become corrupted by money and pride. Some might do charity now for financial benefit. Some might do it to noticed (or elected). But some might out of compassion.

Like you indicated, I may be steering off topic. I might just create a thread on this subject.
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect
All of that is through your modern, Western, Judeo-Christian worldview. For example, while you might find abortions immoral, others would argue that it is immoral to deny a woman an abortion. (I think we talked about this before in an old thread.)
I would not classify Judeo-Christianity as a modern worldview.

Yes, we probably did discuss it before but since you applied that as your example I will once again respond.

Abortion is the taking of innocent human life. Do you find that immoral? Once you lose the concept of equal justice anything goes. Injustice is something that you would not want to be applied to you. I believe the only time it is immoral to deny a woman an abortion is when doing so will result in the loss of her life. 

PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@PGA2.0
"Modern" and "Judeo-Christian" were referring to two different things.

Yes, we probably did discuss it before but since you applied that as your example I will once again respond.

Abortion is the taking of innocent human life. Do you find that immoral? Once you lose the concept of equal justice anything goes. Injustice is something that you would not want to be applied to you. I believe the only time it is immoral to deny a woman an abortion is when doing so will result in the loss of her life. 
Abortion was just an example I used to illustrate the subjective nature of morality. There are many other examples I could've used to show the same point: same-sex marriage, voluntary self-euthanasia (also known as Doctor-Assisted Suicide), the death penalty, medical testing on animals, etc, etc, etc.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@PGA2.0

PGA2.0,

YOUR BIBLE IGNORANT QUOTE: "Abortion is the taking of innocent human life. Do you find that immoral? Once you lose the concept of equal justice anything goes."

Listen up, our serial killer Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, was the biggest ABORTIONIST of all time within the scriptures, so don't mention the abortion issue in any way whatsoever, because then we have to try in vain to defend our Jesus in aborting the innocent zygotes, fetus' and babies, and in one instance, if a baby was born He murdered it on the spot, okay?  Mums the word!

This is what happens to the very ignorant pseudo-christians like you that really don't know the scriptures like a TRUE Christian like me. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect

"Modern" and "Judeo-Christian" were referring to two different things.
Then I'm not following the statement, "All of that is through your modern, Western, Judeo-Christian worldview." It seems that you joined everything together. 

Abortion was just an example I used to illustrate the subjective nature of morality.
There are somethings that cannot be subjective to have moral values rather than preferences. I question why something is moral if you can't establish something as right or wrong. In such cases how do you have morals? If morals are subjective they are changeable. How do you establish right from a standard that is shifting and has no fixed reference point?

There are many other examples I could've used to show the same point: same-sex marriage, voluntary self-euthanasia (also known as Doctor-Assisted Suicide), the death penalty, medical testing on animals, etc, etc, etc.
Whatever example you choose I could probably provide a contrary view that is believed somewhere in this world for those laws or beliefs. That brings into question a violation of a law of logic, the law of identity that states A=A. With two opposing views of the same thing, there is no fixed identity. Which one is right? Something cannot be right and wrong at the same time and in the same manner. It makes no sense to say homosexuality is right and at the same time, it is wrong. If two individuals or two societies believe the opposite which view is right? If morality is subjective who is to say which opposing view is the true view? Again, you need a fixed, unchanging, objective standard for morality to make sense of it. If you can't supply one then what makes your opinion any "better" than mine? Better, just like right and wrong, implies a qualitative moral measurement, obtained from a reference that is "best" and one in which we compare good and better, right and wrong against. What is your "Best?" Can you establish one?
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@PGA2.0
Then I'm not following the statement, "All of that is through your modern, Western, Judeo-Christian worldview." It seems that you joined everything together. 
Allow me to clarify. They are two different aspects of your worldview. I assume that you have a modern worldview (for example, I assume you believe it is wrong to own other human beings as property) and that you have a Judeo-Christian worldview (that you hold the morals taught in the bible in high regard).

There are somethings that cannot be subjective to have moral values rather than preferences. I question why something is moral if you can't establish something as right or wrong.
Stating that there are "right" and "wrong" morals assumes that morality is objective in the first place.

In such cases how do you have morals?
You have morals because the society to which you are born has a set of moral rules (either written down specifically in rules or unwritten) that you adopt from the people close to you (parents, teachers, friends, etc.).

If morals are subjective they are changeable.
Yes, morals are changeable. Three hundred years ago, slavery was morally acceptable to most people. Nowadays that isn't the case.

How do you establish right from a standard that is shifting and has no fixed reference point?
What you perceive as "right" is what the society you were raised in taught you is "right". More specifically, it is what the people around you say is "right". Morality isn't a standardized test. There are no "right" and "wrong" answers. There's just what you, and the people around you, think is right.

Whatever example you choose I could probably provide a contrary view that is believed somewhere in this world for those laws or beliefs.
Yes, that is a major problem of objective morality, especially since in almost all cases, both sides have valid arguments for their moral stances.

That brings into question a violation of a law of logic, the law of identity that states A=A. With two opposing views of the same thing, there is no fixed identity. Which one is right? Something cannot be right and wrong at the same time and in the same manner. It makes no sense to say homosexuality is right and at the same time, it is wrong. If two individuals or two societies believe the opposite which view is right?
Again, this assumes that there is a "right" and "wrong" (basically assuming objective morality).

If morality is subjective who is to say which opposing view is the true view?
This assumes that there is a "true view". If so, then which one is it (for any moral issue)?

Again, you need a fixed, unchanging, objective standard for morality to make sense of it.
Then what is that standard?

If you can't supply one then what makes your opinion any "better" than mine?
This assumes that there is a "better" and "worse".

Better, just like right and wrong, implies a qualitative moral measurement, obtained from a reference that is "best" and one in which we compare good and better, right and wrong against.
Then what is that "best" reference point?

What is your "Best?" Can you establish one?
I don't know. Can you?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@PGA2.0
Atheist and theist....What you mean is human beings...In general, exactly the same....Both possess the same instinctive programming, but acquire various  conceptual quirks as they develop.... The concept of morality is certainly not exclusive to one particular train of thought....though self righteous theists sometimes like to think that it is.

Nazi Germany and North Korea were/are just examples of alternative social programming and nothing to do with morality per se. Morality is a variable principle that we apply to things relative to our own particular viewpoint or collective view point.

The bible doesn't teach anything..... Some humans condition other humans to accept biblical writings as a factual hypothesis....You would perhaps accuse the North Korean regime of brainwashing/conditioning it's children, but what is the real difference between this and how you were conditioned/brainwashed to accept the biblical hypothesis as fact.

My advice is simply my advice and to me a self evident truth... take it or leave it.

Tolerance, evil, wickedness, wrong, right....All variable concepts relative to the individual or the group...The greater society does not currently share a hive mentality....Maybe one day technology will bring us together as a cohesive whole...Maybe....Though some of us as yet, have not even come to terms with the concept of variable skin tone.

Who has a justified true belief?.....Exactly my point.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect
Then I'm not following the statement, "All of that is through your modern, Western, Judeo-Christian worldview." It seems that you joined everything together. 
Allow me to clarify. They are two different aspects of your worldview. I assume that you have a modern worldview (for example, I assume you believe it is wrong to own other human beings as property) and that you have a Judeo-Christian worldview (that you hold the morals taught in the bible in high regard).
Yes, I agree it is wrong to own slaves and I do not believe that is the biblical intent or God's best for humanity. I believe chattel slavery was common in the ANE (Ancient Near East), practiced by surrounding nations, but God told Israel not to adopt the practices of slavery witnessed (and they experienced) in ancient Egypt, and I can pull up Scripture that teaches against that kind of slavery. I believe the type read of in the Mosaic Laws in the OT and God's desired intent was indentured service, the same kind of principle relationship we understand in an employer/employee relationship. The NT teaches that all humans are free in Christ. That is God's ideal - our freedom in Christ. 

When a person reads the two testaments or covenants they should understand that the Old Covenant was directed at a relationship with OT Israel. That covenant was abolished in AD 70 when its fulfillment was completed. 

There are somethings that cannot be subjective to have moral values rather than preferences. I question why something is moral if you can't establish something as right or wrong.
Stating that there are "right" and "wrong" morals assumes that morality is objective in the first place.
How can you have morality unless it is an objective measure? Why is your subjective preference any "better" than an opposing subjective preference? How do two preferences, "I like to kill," and "I don't like to kill," make something right? Only if there is a universal or objective first principle that makes something right or wrong.

A description, what is described, is different from a prescription, what should be the case.  

In such cases how do you have morals?
You have morals because the society to which you are born has a set of moral rules (either written down specifically in rules or unwritten) that you adopt from the people close to you (parents, teachers, friends, etc.).
A set of rules that often contradict and conflicts that of other individuals, sub-cultures, cultures, and societies. I could bring up many examples but you highlighted abortion. Some countries and even some states have different rules regarding abortion. Which is right? Can two opposing beliefs about the same thing both be right? Can two contradictory preferences or moral views/rules be "right" at the same time regarding the same thing? If you believe so I suggest you have a logical conflict. 

Second, if there is no objective value and reference point that applies to all humanity then what you call morals are nothing more than preferences. How do preferences make anything morally right? A preference is a subjective or personal taste such as I like ice-cream or I don't like ice-cream. How does a description turn into a moral prescription or an ought? "Might makes right" is a subjective preference used in the hands of a dictator, an oligarchy, or a select few to a majority to influence a preference. Hitler liked to kill Jews. The allied nation liked to protect them. The question is what makes either of those two things morally wrong rather than just preferences?

If morals are subjective they are changeable.
Yes, morals are changeable. Three hundred years ago, slavery was morally acceptable to most people. Nowadays that isn't the case.
So which is the actual wrong, that which was believed 300 years ago or that which is believed today? If morals are not based on the best or ultimate measure how do you ever get to something being "better?" Better in relation to what? In relation to something that is fleeting and shifting and that can turn into the opposite of what was once legislated and believed. That brings into question which standard is the correct one, and how do you, or can you, ever determine it? Why is your view any "better" than mine in such a situation of moral relativism. Why "should" your preference override mine? How does your preference or personal taste make something that I should do? I like ice-cream. You should/must too. Preferences are what wars are fought over. 

How do you establish right from a standard that is shifting and has no fixed reference point?
What you perceive as "right" is what the society you were raised in taught you is "right". More specifically, it is what the people around you say is "right". Morality isn't a standardized test. There are no "right" and "wrong" answers. There's just what you, and the people around you, think is right.
So the teaching of society makes things right for you (once it was thought you had the right to kill a slave since you owned him/her, or the "moral climate" taught that Jews were subhuman and they could be put to death) even though that same society once taught the polar opposite. Again, I believe you confuse what "is" with what "should be" and with a worldview structure that is not true to what is the case, the actual right, I do not believe it can get to what should be. The problem is that your views are relative and shifting. You do not have what is necessary for morality, just preference. 

What the people around you say is right??? "You should kill innocent human beings." That is your criterion for "right?"

As I have pointed out, if morality is not a "standardized test," or is relative then anything can be made possible and passed off as "right." You make sense of morals as that which the majority of society passes as "right." It has no objective reference point, just whims and preferences of those who have the might to make the rules. How does might make right? It does not, it just makes it what is forced on others.  

Whatever example you choose I could probably provide a contrary view that is believed somewhere in this world for those laws or beliefs.
Yes, that is a major problem of objective morality, especially since in almost all cases, both sides have valid arguments for their moral stances.
A major problem of moral objectivism? That is not moral objectivism but moral subjectivism, i.e., personal likes and tastes. You confuse the two. It has no fixed address for something being right. "Right" is fleeting. It depends on who rules the day as to what the preference becomes. For something to be wrong it must conform to an objective measure. If I measure a piece of wood with my tape-measure to be 11 inches when the true measurement is 12 inches I have not obtained a true reading. I am WRONG in my understanding of the true measurement. When I go to apply the cut piece to the desired length it is not going to fit properly. The same is true for morals. They need an exact measurement for them to be "right." 

That brings into question a violation of a law of logic, the law of identity that states A=A. With two opposing views of the same thing, there is no fixed identity. Which one is right? Something cannot be right and wrong at the same time and in the same manner. It makes no sense to say homosexuality is right and at the same time, it is wrong. If two individuals or two societies believe the opposite which view is right?
Again, this assumes that there is a "right" and "wrong" (basically assuming objective morality).
Are you denying the law of identity, that a thing it what it is? Is a dog (A) a fish (B)? A=B? Does a dog have a true identity? Or can what I call a dog mean anything?

If you do not recognize something that is a self-evident principle you need to think about it further. The laws of logic are universal principles that are REQUIRED to make sense of things. 

If morality is subjective who is to say which opposing view is the true view?
This assumes that there is a "true view". If so, then which one is it (for any moral issue)?
If there is not a true measure then anything can be passed off as right or good. Can you live with that? "Step this way! You are the next in line for the gas chambers!" The problem is you can say something is "right" like gassing people to death until something wrong like this is done to you, then you understand and know the difference between the two. Some things are just plain wrong, like killing innocent people. If you deny that first principle or self-evident truth the killing of an innocent person could be you. Should you live with that? 

Again, you need a fixed, unchanging, objective standard for morality to make sense of it.
A necessary Being who is omniscient (knows all things), benevolent, immutable, eternal, who has revealed the Golden Rule of treating others as you would want to be treated and who has identified wrongs as, "You shall not kill" (murder). You shall not steal, or lie, or covet something belonging to someone else, or want to commit adultery, or dishonour your parents and you should treat them with respect and not oppose them without just reason (i.e., they are doing something wrong).

If you can't supply one then what makes your opinion any "better" than mine?
This assumes that there is a "better" and "worse".
You believe there is or else you would not obey laws and rules or would not select one thing over another. It is self-evident when applied to physical things, but how do you apply it to intangible or abstract things? You believe it is good to obey particular rules for your well-being, like don't eat rotten food because it will make you sick. You would not be able to select a piece of rotten food as worse than a piece of fresh food without evaluating it as better or worse. With quantitative values, there is physical measurements and standards. Qualitative values require a different measuring standard. The problem is that without a moral objective standard it becomes futile in determining the best or better because people tend very often to do what they like or desire and can get away with doing rather than what is good or right. 

Do you just assume it is wrong to kill innocent human beings for pleasure or do you know this is wrong to do? If you don't know that I think others would soon label you as psychopathic and want to lock you up or avoid you at all costs. 

Better, just like right and wrong, implies a qualitative moral measurement, obtained from a reference that is "best" and one in which we compare good and better, right and wrong against.
God, an ultimate, necessary, objective, absolute, good, unchanging, eternal reference and measure. Without Him, there is no ultimate accountability for a Hitler. Without Him, doing whatever you can get away with is justifiable. 

I don't know. Can you?
Yes, a necessary Being that meets the criterion I described earlier. The principle of a necessary being is what I term self-evident and required to make sense of morality. It is when you deny such a Being that you cannot make sense of morality. 

PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@PGA2.0
Yes, I agree it is wrong to own slaves and I do not believe that is the biblical intent or God's best for humanity. I believe chattel slavery was common in the ANE (Ancient Near East), practiced by surrounding nations, but God told Israel not to adopt the practices of slavery witnessed (and they experienced) in ancient Egypt, and I can pull up Scripture that teaches against that kind of slavery. I believe the type read of in the Mosaic Laws in the OT and God's desired intent was indentured service, the same kind of principle relationship we understand in an employer/employee relationship. The NT teaches that all humans are free in Christ. That is God's ideal - our freedom in Christ. 
What I meant by that was that the idea that humans beings shouldn't become others' property was only widely accepted relatively recently. I wasn't talking about the bible's stance on slavery, but if you insist, I can talk about that too.

How can you have morality unless it is an objective measure? Why is your subjective preference any "better" than an opposing subjective preference?
Once again, what you think of as "moral" is what you perceive others thinking of as "moral". Your subjective preference is only "better" than an opposing one in you your eyes. As I have demonstrated already, there are many moral issues where both sides have equally valid arguments. If you are to claim an objective morality, then you need to prove why one moral stance is irrefutably right, and the other undeniably wrong. 

How do two preferences, "I like to kill," and "I don't like to kill," make something right? Only if there is a universal or objective first principle that makes something right or wrong.

A description, what is described, is different from a prescription, what should be the case.  
The reason why almost everyone finds things like killing wrong is that this mindset was evolutionarily beneficial to our ancestors. When we first formed social groups, we did so to raise our collective odds of survival and procreation. A social group where killing each other is seen as morally acceptable will lessen its members' chance of survival (as killing people reduces the total numbers of your group, thus weakening it and making it more vulnerable to outside threats). With time, such groups would be eliminated, leaving groups with an aversion to killing each other as the ones to populate the Earth. 

A set of rules that often contradict and conflicts that of other individuals, sub-cultures, cultures, and societies. I could bring up many examples but you highlighted abortion. Some countries and even some states have different rules regarding abortion. Which is right? Can two opposing beliefs about the same thing both be right? Can two contradictory preferences or moral views/rules be "right" at the same time regarding the same thing? If you believe so I suggest you have a logical conflict. 
Again, if one is right and one is wrong, then which one is right, and why? For many moral issues, there isn't a clear-cut "right" and "wrong", as both sides have legitimate moral arguments. 

Second, if there is no objective value and reference point that applies to all humanity then what you call morals are nothing more than preferences. How do preferences make anything morally right? A preference is a subjective or personal taste such as I like ice-cream or I don't like ice-cream. How does a description turn into a moral prescription or an ought? "Might makes right" is a subjective preference used in the hands of a dictator, an oligarchy, or a select few to a majority to influence a preference. Hitler liked to kill Jews. The allied nation liked to protect them. The question is what makes either of those two things morally wrong rather than just preferences?
The key here is that reference points are set by each society, not by each individual. If someone does something which many other people in that society find objectionable, then that person would be socially ostracized. Given that we are social creatures, such a fate would be devastating, and hence we would want to avoid doing what would cause us to become ostracized. Anti-semitism was more socially acceptable back then than it is now. In our eyes, what Hitler did was wrong. But if the axis powers won WWII, then anti-semitism would probably be more acceptable. This doesn't mean that I support it, but that, factually speaking, it would be the case.

So which is the actual wrong, that which was believed 300 years ago or that which is believed today? If morals are not based on the best or ultimate measure how do you ever get to something being "better?" Better in relation to what? In relation to something that is fleeting and shifting and that can turn into the opposite of what was once legislated and believed.
To us today, what they believed 300 years ago was wrong. Our stance is "better" than theirs in our eyes. Perhaps something we do today (for example, consuming meat) will be looked upon as "morally inferior" by those living in the future. Saying that our morals are "better" than theirs is framed in the context of our worldview. For example, people who practice Hinduism see beef consumption as a grave sin. We don't. Who's "right"? Who's "wrong"? Whose moral stance is "better", and whose is "worse"? Once again, in order to have objective morality, you need to be able to objectively answer such questions.

That brings into question which standard is the correct one, and how do you, or can you, ever determine it? Why is your view any "better" than mine in such a situation of moral relativism. Why "should" your preference override mine? How does your preference or personal taste make something that I should do? I like ice-cream. You should/must too. Preferences are what wars are fought over. 
I don't know, you tell me. For instance, is the death penalty moral or immoral? There are many compelling arguments for both sides. If I believe that the death penalty is immoral, then you need to tell me, according to objective morals, why I'm objectively right or wrong.

So the teaching of society makes things right for you (once it was thought you had the right to kill a slave since you owned him/her, or the "moral climate" taught that Jews were subhuman and they could be put to death) even though that same society once taught the polar opposite. Again, I believe you confuse what "is" with what "should be" and with a worldview structure that is not true to what is the case, the actual right, I do not believe it can get to what should be. The problem is that your views are relative and shifting. You do not have what is necessary for morality, just preference. 
If you were born in Tenochtitlan in the pre-Columbian era, then you would believe that human sacrifice was necessary in order to stave off the wrath of the gods and to keep the sun rising every day. You may not think you would believe that, but in that circumstance, having a belief in those gods, you would. 

As I have pointed out, if morality is not a "standardized test," or is relative then anything can be made possible and passed off as "right." You make sense of morals as that which the majority of society passes as "right." It has no objective reference point, just whims and preferences of those who have the might to make the rules. How does might make right? It does not, it just makes it what is forced on others. 
If morality is a standardized test, then what does the answer key look like?

For something to be wrong it must conform to an objective measure. If I measure a piece of wood with my tape-measure to be 11 inches when the true measurement is 12 inches I have not obtained a true reading. I am WRONG in my understanding of the true measurement. When I go to apply the cut piece to the desired length it is not going to fit properly. The same is true for morals. They need an exact measurement for them to be "right."
False analogy. You cannot "measure" morals (saying which ones are better, and which ones are worse), as I have already explained. There is no "morality tape-measure", so to speak. 

Are you denying the law of identity, that a thing it what it is? Is a dog (A) a fish (B)? A=B? Does a dog have a true identity? Or can what I call a dog mean anything?
If you do not recognize something that is a self-evident principle you need to think about it further. The laws of logic are universal principles that are REQUIRED to make sense of things. 
Morals aren't anywhere near as clear-cut and distinct as the difference between a dog and a fish. As I have stated, most moral issues are quite grey. 

If there is not a true measure then anything can be passed off as right or good. Can you live with that? "Step this way! You are the next in line for the gas chambers!" The problem is you can say something is "right" like gassing people to death until something wrong like this is done to you, then you understand and know the difference between the two. Some things are just plain wrong, like killing innocent people. If you deny that first principle or self-evident truth the killing of an innocent person could be you. Should you live with that? 
Evolution explains why it is near-universally held that killing innocent people is wrong (as I have already shown).

You believe there is or else you would not obey laws and rules or would not select one thing over another. It is self-evident when applied to physical things, but how do you apply it to intangible or abstract things? You believe it is good to obey particular rules for your well-being, like don't eat rotten food because it will make you sick. You would not be able to select a piece of rotten food as worse than a piece of fresh food without evaluating it as better or worse. With quantitative values, there is physical measurements and standards. Qualitative values require a different measuring standard. The problem is that without a moral objective standard it becomes futile in determining the best or better because people tend very often to do what they like or desire and can get away with doing rather than what is good or right. 
Just like with individuals (not eating rotten food), evolution can determine some of the morals of societies as well (not killing each other).

Do you just assume it is wrong to kill innocent human beings for pleasure or do you know this is wrong to do? If you don't know that I think others would soon label you as psychopathic and want to lock you up or avoid you at all costs. 
Yes, society will label me as psychopathic and lock me up or avoid me at all costs. 

PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@PGA2.0

A necessary Being who is omniscient (knows all things), benevolent, immutable, eternal, who has revealed the Golden Rule of treating others as you would want to be treated and who has identified wrongs as, "You shall not kill" (murder). You shall not steal, or lie, or covet something belonging to someone else, or want to commit adultery, or dishonour your parents and you should treat them with respect and not oppose them without just reason (i.e., they are doing something wrong).

God, an ultimate, necessary, objective, absolute, good, unchanging, eternal reference and measure. Without Him, there is no ultimate accountability for a Hitler. Without Him, doing whatever you can get away with is justifiable.

I don't know. Can you?
Yes, a necessary Being that meets the criterion I described earlier. The principle of a necessary being is what I term self-evident and required to make sense of morality. It is when you deny such a Being that you cannot make sense of morality. 
The problem with this is that there have been thousands upon thousands of deities worshipped by many, many peoples. Which one is right? Yahweh? Allah? Brahma? Ganesh? Zeus? Odin? Amun-Ra? Huitzilopochtli? The Flying Spaghetti Monster? They all claim to be the "objective standard", so which one truly is, and why?

Another issue with this is that if God is that standard, then whatever He deems is moral is moral. If He said "it is immoral to not consume fecal matter", is that now the case? If not, then God isn't the standard.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect
What I meant by that was that the idea that humans beings shouldn't become others' property was only widely accepted relatively recently. I wasn't talking about the bible's stance on slavery, but if you insist, I can talk about that too.
I think there is enough to digest without getting into biblical proofs for now.

How can you have morality unless it is an objective measure? Why is your subjective preference any "better" than an opposing subjective preference?
Once again, what you think of as "moral" is what you perceive others thinking of as "moral". Your subjective preference is only "better" than an opposing one in you your eyes. As I have demonstrated already, there are many moral issues where both sides have equally valid arguments. If you are to claim an objective morality, then you need to prove why one moral stance is irrefutably right, and the other undeniably wrong.
Let me get this straight - something is only better if you think it is better? 

Two opposite arguments regarding the same thing logically cannot both be valid. You can't say killing innocent children is morally valid and then say killing innocent children is not valid. The law of excluded middles comes into play. It has to be one or the other. 

How do two preferences, "I like to kill," and "I don't like to kill," make something right? Only if there is a universal or objective first principle that makes something right or wrong.

The reason why almost everyone finds things like killing wrong is that this mindset was evolutionarily beneficial to our ancestors.
The reason derived from your worldview bias. From mine the reason is that humanity is created in the image and likeness of God, thus our consciences, although marred by the Fall, speak to us about what is right. The further we remove ourselves from God the more relative we become in our thinking until nothing makes sense. 

The "evolutionary mindset" in the fight for survival could just as easily be that it is beneficial to eliminate those who don't think as you do. 

When we first formed social groups, we did so to raise our collective odds of survival and procreation. A social group where killing each other is seen as morally acceptable will lessen its members' chance of survival (as killing people reduces the total numbers of your group, thus weakening it and making it more vulnerable to outside threats). With time, such groups would be eliminated, leaving groups with an aversion to killing each other as the ones to populate the Earth. 
It could go either way. Evolutionary speaking, when it is beneficial to kill, kill. When it is beneficial to have numbers, stick together.

But you have a further problem to tackle. How do you get an ought from an is? 

"Is Ought. The is-ought fallacy occurs when the assumption is made that because things are a certain way, they should be that way.

Compounded it more, reversing in time to origins. Morality is meaningful. Without a mindful Being, morality means nothing. If you believe the universe had a beginning then how do you get something intangible and abstract from the physical? Then how do you get consciousness from something devoid of it, life from nonliving things? 

Thus, the more reasonable explanation is definitely God. 
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect

[1] The reason why almost everyone finds things like killing wrong is that this mindset was evolutionarily beneficial to our ancestors. When we first formed social groups, we did so to raise our collective odds of survival and procreation. A social group where killing each other is seen as morally acceptable will lessen its members' chance of survival (as killing people reduces the total numbers of your group, thus weakening it and making it more vulnerable to outside threats). [2] With time, such groups would be eliminated, leaving groups with an aversion to killing each other as the ones to populate the Earth. 
[1] Or people understand that it is wrong to kill because they are created in the image and likeness of God, a necessary being from which other beings derive their existence.

[2] Unless they have superior weaponry and tactics, then they eliminate those competing for the same food source. In times of famine or pestilence, the chance of finding food could be
greater for a smaller number.  

Again, you are jumping the gun, avoid the huddles. Morality is a conscious thinking attribute. First, you have to explain how consciousness and life come from things devoid of both. it is The problem of explaining morality without a necessary moral being is first how something intangible and abstract arises from the physical, material universe. 

Again, if one is right and one is wrong, then which one is right, and why? For many moral issues, there isn't a clear-cut "right" and "wrong", as both sides have legitimate moral arguments. 
No, one is wrong if the two are opposites.

The key here is that reference points are set by each society, not by each individual.
Even if that is the case, the law of identity would mean one society is wrong if both state opposites, such as abortion is morally right or abortion is morally wrong. It can't be both right and wrong at the same time and still make sense. If an individual lives on the border of two societies with opposing moral laws, how does he determine which is the true value? He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect

So which is the actual wrong, that which was believed 300 years ago or that which is believed today? If morals are not based on the best or ultimate measure how do you ever get to something being "better?" Better in relation to what? In relation to something that is fleeting and shifting and that can turn into the opposite of what was once legislated and believed.
To us today, what they believed 300 years ago was wrong. Our stance is "better" than theirs in our eyes. Perhaps something we do today (for example, consuming meat) will be looked upon as "morally inferior" by those living in the future. Saying that our morals are "better" than theirs is framed in the context of our worldview. For example, people who practice Hinduism see beef consumption as a grave sin. We don't. Who's "right"? Who's "wrong"? Whose moral stance is "better", and whose is "worse"? Once again, in order to have objective morality, you need to be able to objectively answer such questions.
So you are saying that neither is wrong as long as the society believes it to be right. Although their view is the diametric opposites - i.e., murdering innocent human beings for pleasure is wrong/murdering innocent human beings for pleasure is right - you say that both are equally justifiable. This is a strange kind of thinking (moral relativism) that can call evil good and good evil. The point is how do you determine a wrong with such thinking where there is no true identity for wrong? Anything can be made up and "called" right or wrong and the problem, as I pointed out before, is that you can't live practically with this kind of thinking. As soon as someone does an injustice to you or your family then you know that some things are just plain evil. Yet so often these moral relativists are elected to public office.

So let me rant (and be charged with the fallacy of emotional appeal) and express my opinion.

It is sad when relativists control the justice system; when they let criminals free without paying sufficient penalty for their crimes and when these criminals reenter society and commit the same crimes over again, as witnessed recently. It's sad where looting and thieving replace peaceful protest and no one is held accountable. It is a weird time in which we live where the innocent are treated like criminals and perps, and where the guilty are identified as the victims and suffer no consequences for such acts. It is a shame where a wrong act by a policeman leads to shooting of and beating up of other police offerers who are trying to protect the public, where innocent companies are robbed and vandalized and the police are ordered to stand down, where half of society can no longer recognize what is actually right and wrong and where their elected officials are the ones who control what laws get passed because they use propaganda techniques in which the media becomes one of their puppetmasters of change. It is a sham where hate of a president leads to angry vigilante mobs, funded by billionaires, sent into cities to rile up crowds, create riots, burn, destroy, steal, instead of letting justice take its course, not even giving it time to do so, and the overall media keeps fueling and promoting this nonsense anarchy and lawlessness. Crazy times created by relativistic thinking and political correctness because of the gatekeepers of your society being largely liberal leftists. Socialism never works yet a majority in some states keep electing these radical thinkers into seats of power. It is crazy where a presidential candidate doesn't have what it takes to run a country but perhaps the majority will likely vote for him because they don't value their country and freedoms enough but are fueled by hatred. They don't recognize the consequences of their actions until after the fact and it is too late. Sometimes they never learn what is better. They keep electing people to office who harm their communities with ridiculous policies. Democrat politicians, generally speaking, bent on having and keeping power in the USA have become the party of oppression, big government, socialism, taking away of freedoms, imposing unjust laws, illegal and unjust plots and schemes to remove a president. They infiltrate every avenue of society to control it and use it to influence, create group-think, and sway the vote. Disgusting, from my point of view.   

That brings into question which standard is the correct one, and how do you, or can you, ever determine it? Why is your view any "better" than mine in such a situation of moral relativism. Why "should" your preference override mine? How does your preference or personal taste make something that I should do? I like ice-cream. You should/must too. Preferences are what wars are fought over. 
I don't know, you tell me. For instance, is the death penalty moral or immoral? There are many compelling arguments for both sides. If I believe that the death penalty is immoral, then you need to tell me, according to objective morals, why I'm objectively right or wrong.
If you don't know it is wrong to kill an innocent unborn human being because the mother no longer wants it or support gang members illegally crossing your border who have been convicted of crimes in their countries and wreak havoc in your country and yet are welcomed by illogical policies, something is dreadfully wrong, where the citizens are made to pay for medical care and schooling for illegals and yet do not look after their own citizens but instead place the burden of looking after these illegals in the millions, something is wrong. 

If you were born in Tenochtitlan in the pre-Columbian era, then you would believe that human sacrifice was necessary in order to stave off the wrath of the gods and to keep the sun rising every day. You may not think you would believe that, but in that circumstance, having a belief in those gods, you would. 
Necessary??? Whether you believe it or not it does not make human sacrifice right or good. Turn the tables and imagine you are about to be sacrificed unwillingly. Do you still think it just or is it the kind of rule of the gods that is practically lived? 

If morality is a standardized test, then what does the answer key look like?
You don't like the answer. The biblical God as the source. The biblical God is omniscient, thus objective, omnipotent, benevolent, immutable and eternal. Those are the kind of standards or measures you need in determining and measuring goodness. If you have no ideal or best then your measuring system is shifting, constantly being reviewed and reinvented. You can never get to the good if no one knows what the good is. But we, as humans, have it subconsciously present in our minds - that is, God is the key. We deny and subvert God as the standard and measure, the final reference point in comparing to because we want to be in charge.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@PressF4Respect

For something to be wrong it must conform to an objective measure. If I measure a piece of wood with my tape-measure to be 11 inches when the true measurement is 12 inches I have not obtained a true reading. I am WRONG in my understanding of the true measurement. When I go to apply the cut piece to the desired length it is not going to fit properly. The same is true for morals. They need an exact measurement for them to be "right."
False analogy. You cannot "measure" morals (saying which ones are better, and which ones are worse), as I have already explained. There is no "morality tape-measure", so to speak. 
Sure you can measure them if you have the proper standard to compare something with. If you have no fixed standard for good (everything is relative) how can you say something is good? It is relative and shifting, ultimately meaningless. It goes against the standards of logic. 

A basic human right is a right to life. Deny it and anarchy is present and unlivable. Anything goes.
A basic principle is that of equality for all human beings, as stated in your Declaration of Independence. If some are treated with favour or partiality there is no justice because justice requires equal fairness for all people. Once this basic tenant is denied, individuals and groups can be marginalized and dehumanized. They can then be treated with unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity that is unlivable for those who are outside the scope of this elitism and injustice.
Basic principles of justice are contained in the Ten Commandments. It is wrong to murder, steal, lie, covet, commit adultery, dishonour and disrespect your parents, etc. These are the basics that many laws are based on. 

Morals aren't anywhere near as clear-cut and distinct as the difference between a dog and a fish. As I have stated, most moral issues are quite grey. 
You are right in some cases, but especially so if you neglect these basic principles spoken of in my last two paragraphs. Things definitely do become gray when people are incapable of identifying what is necessary for justice, equality and laws. 

If there is not a true measure then anything can be passed off as right or good. Can you live with that? "Step this way! You are the next in line for the gas chambers!" The problem is you can say something is "right" like gassing people to death until something wrong like this is done to you, then you understand and know the difference between the two. Some things are just plain wrong, like killing innocent people. If you deny that first principle or self-evident truth the killing of an innocent person could be you. Should you live with that? 
Evolution explains why it is near-universally held that killing innocent people is wrong (as I have already shown).
Evolution is not a conscious thinking person. It explains nothing, people use it as a tool of expression signifying or used to explain why things happen. You keep personifying it. It is incapable of doing anything. What you are speaking of is the chance happenstance where the "strong" or "fit" survive, thus because they survive you identify that as a moral right or example of morality working - behaviourism. There is no rhyme or reason for evolution. Things happen. Again, you obtain an ought from an is, a prescription from a description. 

You believe there is or else you would not obey laws and rules or would not select one thing over another. It is self-evident when applied to physical things, but how do you apply it to intangible or abstract things? You believe it is good to obey particular rules for your well-being, like don't eat rotten food because it will make you sick. You would not be able to select a piece of rotten food as worse than a piece of fresh food without evaluating it as better or worse. With quantitative values, there is physical measurements and standards. Qualitative values require a different measuring standard. The problem is that without a moral objective standard it becomes futile in determining the best or better because people tend very often to do what they like or desire and can get away with doing rather than what is good or right. 
Just like with individuals (not eating rotten food), evolution can determine some of the morals of societies as well (not killing each other).
People determine using principles they ascribe to evolution. How is that good? Without a God behind the universe, there is no ultimate morality. Morality is just something made up by subjective relative thinking people to cope with living. They create systems of belief that ultimately mean nothing. But more importantly, the question is how they came to be able to do this? How does chance happenstance govern anything? It is pure chance. How does consciousness arise from the physical universe? How does life arise? How does reason come from the unreasoning? How do morals come from something devoid of life? Fill in the gaps to make sense of thins for me. 

Do you just assume it is wrong to kill innocent human beings for pleasure or do you know this is wrong to do? If you don't know that I think others would soon label you as psychopathic and want to lock you up or avoid you at all costs. 
Yes, society will label me as psychopathic and lock me up or avoid me at all costs.
A psychopath has lost touch with right and wrong. He/she cannot properly identify what is just and good.

I ask you, should all human beings be treated equally under the law?

I ask you, is not life the most basic natural right a human being has? Is that not self-evident to you? 

I ask you, is something just if it is not applied equally to all?