Can anyone explain to me?

Author: Vader

Total: 37
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@ethang5
This current "movement" will similarly overreach, becoming loony in their list for far left policies, and the rest of the country, the rational majority, will come out in Nov and nip it in the bud.

The left is calling to defund the police and the right is calling for mass police reform.

Two weeks ago if you told me Fox News would be calling for more body cameras, squashing impunity, better oversight, less tolerance for aggression, less force in policing, less militarization of police, etc. I would have told you that you were smoking crack.

Today mayors of big cities are on TV openly criticizing police unions. That was unheard of a few weeks ago. So was Republican Justin Amash's bill to end qualified immunity for cops. 

If the left has to "settle" for mass police reform lol mock their movement all you want... they won. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Vader
It looks like it throws out the old system and will replace it. Interesting approach to the problem 
obviously not well thought out.......at all, consider the laws won't/haven't changed, nor the criminals.  Chicago just had another banner weekend, bunch of black lives that didn't matter.
Now add in the rise of militias forming and the timing for these calls to defund the police is epic really.

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
As usual, your arguments continue to be hyperbole without statistics to back them up. Well, here's some stats, Buff. I know how to research, and I have a History PhD., You?

There are over 3,000 counties and over 19,000 incorporated cities in the U.S.https://www.statista.com/statistics/241695/number-of-us-cities-towns-villages-by-population-size/  How many of those 19,000 cities have a police abuse issue of such rampant instances that require their de-funding? Care to look at the numbers of deaths caused by citizens against one another? Shall we de-fund citizens? That would align with your argument.

“The rates [of death] were higher among non-Hispanic blacks (0.6 per 100,000 population) and Hispanics (0.3 per 100,000) than among non-Hispanic whites (0.1 per 100,000),." 

Your "all over" lacks any stat. We have not heard of nearly that many instances of police-caused deaths of citizens in custody. This is what I mean be your hyperbole.

Want more? 

"A  newer study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2019, estimates that black men have a 1 in 1,000 chance [0.1%] of being killed by police during their lifetimes. That’s 2.5 times the odds for a non-Hispanic white man, the authors find." 
And that means that non-blacks have a 0.4 in 1,000 [0.04%] chance of being killed by police in their lifetimes.

These numbers hardly describe a pandemic that must be solved by defunding police departments or systematically changing their mode of operation. As I said, prosecute the bad apples, and let justice do its its proper work. The alternative as being suggested will create so much chaos, you will not have a system of anything anymore. 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Danielle
Take a look at the stats I've offered to History Buff. You're lacking them, yourself. Hyperbole may generate protest, but rarely are protests the result of understanding just what the problem is by statistical analysis.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
These numbers hardly describe a pandemic that must be solved by defunding police departments or systematically changing their mode of operation. As I said, prosecute the bad apples, and let justice do its its proper work. The alternative as being suggested will create so much chaos, you will not have a system of anything anymore. 
your own source says they are several times more likely to be killed by police than white people. That is a big problem. and for it to be 2.5 times higher, that certainly sounds systemic to me.

But your stats are only focusing on deaths. That is only one piece of the problem. Police regularly harass or assault black people too. Take that 75 year old man the police pushed down and hospitalized. That was obvious police brutality, but he didn't die. So the stats you keep parading out don't include it. 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
Stats indicate blacks commit more crimes, and general against themselves, than any other racial group. But one incident in 1,000 is hardly a systemic problem. Get serious. If the injuries to death ratio is 10:1, it is still not a systemic problem; 10 in 1,000, or 1%. Actually, the injury ration is less than that; 5 in 1,000, or 0.5%. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5388955/  That is definitively not a system problem. Stop the wild accusations and look at the numbers.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Danielle
Two weeks ago if you told me Fox News would be calling for more body cameras, squashing impunity, better oversight, less tolerance for aggression, less force in policing, less militarization of police, etc. I would have told you that you were smoking crack.
Conservatives have always been for those things. You must not watch Fox news much. But when conservatives say, "less militarization of police," they do not mean more anarchy and lawlessness.

If the left has to "settle" for mass police reform lol mock their movement all you want... they won. 
Reports of your "win" will prove to be premature, just as in 1969. After the MSM has bled this story of all the blood it can squeeze out, it will move on. The kids rolling down fifth Ave with wheel barrels full of loot will grow up and get jobs, just like the peaceniks putting flowers in the gun barrels of police guns in 1969.

We'll see how much you feel like a "winner" in Nov. after Trump has won again.