which conservatives were right in the LGBT civil rights supreme court case?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 160
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
Is it ok to say “keep homosexuality out of public school?” In Canada?
Unless it is said in a way that is likely to lead to a breach of the peace, then yes, saying “keep homosexuality out of public school” in public is protected speech in Canada.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
Alright I’ll go deeper. Would advocating for revengeance  against Jews and Blacks be protected speech in Canada? Would saying “Bury the ni****s” be protected in Canada?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@PressF4Respect
That's your interpretation of it...

The US also has laws against this too (incitement and fighting words).

totally different.

in essence they made the person saying words the criminal instead of the violent person reacting to them,  I mean I totally get it, it's b.s. but I get it.
you don't have to react to words do you?  is there some strange lack of control in Canada that people can't?

let's say you are a protected class and I say something that's hate speech, you are so weak minded that you might result to violence because I said something that hurt your feelings,  these laws protect the mentally fragile,  this is the government you have so enjoy it, I'll keep the freedom I have thanks.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
I know where you're going with this, and I saw it coming (Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969)).

The precedent was different before Brandenburg (in cases such as Gitlow v. New York (1925)Whitney v. California (1927), and Dennis v. United States (1951)), where the courts ruled in favour of the government. Supreme Court precedents aren't codified in law, and it is entirely possible that the future precedent will be reverted back to pre-Brandenburg standards.

As for Canada, I don't know off the top of my head, as this is one of the cases that would be more borderline (as shown by the cases above).
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
in essence they made the person saying words the criminal instead of the violent person reacting to them,  I mean I totally get it, it's b.s. but I get it.
you don't have to react to words do you?  is there some strange lack of control in Canada that people can't?

let's say you are a protected class and I say something that's hate speech, you are so weak minded that you might result to violence because I said something that hurt your feelings,  these laws protect the mentally fragile,  this is the government you have so enjoy it, I'll keep the freedom I have thanks.
  1. The person reacting to them would be charged.
  2. What you're describing here isn't incitement. Incitement means:
To arouse; urge; provoke; encourage; spur on; goad; stir up; instigate; set in motion; as in to incite a riot. Also, generally, in Criminal Law to instigate, persuade, or move another to commit a crime; in this sense nearly synonymous with abet.
Simply saying something offensive to someone isn't incitement, and you wouldn't be held responsible for what they do as a result.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
After further research, the answer is: It depends on the circumstances.

For example, R. v. Keegstra (1990) ended up finding Keegstra guilty under Section 319(2), but this most certainly wouldn't be applicable in ALL cases that are similar to this one.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
The precedent was different before Brandenburg (in cases such as Gitlow v. New York (1925)Whitney v. California (1927), and Dennis v. United States (1951)), where the courts ruled in favour of the government. Supreme Court precedents aren't codified in law, and it is entirely possible that the future precedent will be reverted back to pre-Brandenburg standards.
Irrelevant. Those words are protected under the 1st Amendment.

As for Canada, I don't know off the top of my head, as this is one of the cases that would be more borderline (as shown by the cases above).
How is it borderline? Those cases have nothing to do with Brandenburg because it was a separate decision that came after all of those cases thus overruling the precedents ser in those case. It’s by no means borderline. The question is a yes or no question. If you have doubts about it, then that means free speech protections are stronger in the United States than Canada.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
After further research, the answer is: It depends on the circumstances.

For example, R. v. Keegstra (1990) ended up finding Keegstra guilty under Section 319(2), but this most certainly wouldn't be applicable in ALL cases that are similar to this one.
Irrelevant.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
Ok, if you make a racist speech, it wouldn't be prosecuted unless there was a credible likelihood of a breach to peace that comes out of it. The same goes for an antisemitic speech.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
Since the ancient Chaplinsky ruling, every case sent up to the SCOTUS has thrown out a conviction based on fighting words. one of the more recent being,

The Court concluded, "Let there be no mistake about our belief that burning a cross in someone's front yard is reprehensible. But St. Paul has sufficient means at its disposal to prevent such behavior without adding the First Amendment to the fire."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_v._California is another less than archaic case thrown out by the SCOTUS.

Not a single conviction from "fighting words" has been upheld by the SCOTUS since Chaplinsky, and it's precisely because America has a 1st amendment that can't be restricted from overbroad terms like generic "fighting words."

The term "likely" shouldn't ever be a standard of evidence. It either is or it is not.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@PressF4Respect
wow I'm really confused now, you mean you COULD incite people before the hate speech laws but now you can't?

best I can tell it's not really defined but rather someone would accuse another of hate speech and a court would decide it, is that about right?
I don't see where your government has made a legal definition of hate/hatred.

Section 319(3): Four defences[edit]
Section 319(3) provides specific defences to the offence of promoting hatred. A person will not be convicted if:
  • the person establishes that the statements communicated were true;
  • in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;
  • the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds the person believed them to be true; or
  • in good faith, the person intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.[15]
so that's interesting because that really reads as guilty until proven innocent

R v Krymowski (2005)
R v Presseault (2007)
The sentencing judge called Presseault's remarks "despicable, evil, and nauseating". The judge also referred to Pressault's more than twenty tattoos, including several Ku Klux Klan and Nazi symbols covering the defendant's torso, in his decision to give jail time:

could of good cases right there, apparently not his body not his choice LOL

In 2017, James Sears and LeRoy St. Germaine, the editor and publisher of a newsletter promoting rape legalization and Holocaust denial, were charged with willful promotion of hatred against women and Jews.

wow

Warrant of seizure
  • 320 (1) A judge who is satisfied by information on oath that there are reasonable grounds for believing that any publication, copies of which are kept for sale or distribution in premises within the jurisdiction of the court, is hate propaganda shall issue a warrant under his hand authorizing seizure of the copies.
  • Marginal note:Summons to occupier
    (2) Within seven days of the issue of a warrant under subsection (1), the judge shall issue a summons to the occupier of the premises requiring him to appear before the court and show cause why the matter seized should not be forfeited to Her Majesty.
judge makes the decision because there is not real definition but rather arbitrary language.

how does one determine what will "incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace"?
couldn't find how the Canadian defines "breach of the peace"
best I could find is
section 175. (1) Every one who
(a) not being in a dwelling-house, causes a disturbance in or near a public place,
(i) by fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,

so If I say something and that causes the person breaks out in song I guess that's breach of the peace even though the one singing is doing it, pretty backwards.
In the U.S. protests would fit that definition as would a street corner preacher.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
Ok, if you make a racist speech, it wouldn't be prosecuted unless there was a credible likelihood of a breach to peace that comes out of it. The same goes for an antisemitic speech.
And how would that be determined? If Brandenburg said “bury the ni****s” in the middle of Harlem should he be prosecuted? What about saying the same thing Brandenburg said in a black neighborhood in Canada. Would it be protected?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
The term "likely" shouldn't ever be a standard of evidence. It either is or it is not.
yeah because it would almost make it sound............arbitrary.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
It’s laughable to think that Canada banning hate speech and America not makes Canada have better free speech laws.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
how does one determine what will "incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace"?
A breach of the peace is defined in Brown v Durham Regional Police Force[1998] O.J. No. 5274 (CA) as an “act or actions which result in actual or threatened harm to someone” (para 71). 

I don't see where your government has made a legal definition of hate/hatred.
From Wikipedia:
The various laws which refer to "hatred" do not define it. The Supreme Court has explained the meaning of the term in various cases which have come before the Court. For example, in R v Keegstra, decided in 1990, Chief Justice Dickson for the majority explained the meaning of "hatred" in the context of the Criminal Code:
Hatred is predicated on destruction, and hatred against identifiable groups therefore thrives on insensitivity, bigotry and destruction of both the target group and of the values of our society. Hatred in this sense is a most extreme emotion that belies reason; an emotion that, if exercised against members of an identifiable group, implies that those individuals are to be despised, scorned, denied respect and made subject to ill-treatment on the basis of group affiliation.[4]
More recently, in 2013, Justice Rothstein, speaking for the unanimous court, explained the meaning of "hatred" in similar terms, in relation to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code:
In my view, "detestation" and "vilification" aptly describe the harmful effect that the Code seeks to eliminate. Representations that expose a target group to detestation tend to inspire enmity and extreme ill-will against them, which goes beyond mere disdain or dislike. Representations vilifying a person or group will seek to abuse, denigrate or delegitimize them, to render them lawless, dangerous, unworthy or unacceptable in the eyes of the audience. Expression exposing vulnerable groups to detestation and vilification goes far beyond merely discrediting, humiliating or offending the victims.[5]

PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
And how would that be determined? If Brandenburg said “bury the ni****s” in the middle of Harlem should he be prosecuted? What about saying the same thing Brandenburg said in a black neighborhood in Canada. Would it be protected?
What incitement is there if he said that in a black neighbourhood in Canada?

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
What incitement is there if he said that in a black neighbourhood in Canada?
You’re really asking me this question? 

The mere existence of hate speech laws show a restriction on free speech. Compare that to the US where no such law exists, we definitely have more free speech
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
Not a single conviction from "fighting words" has been upheld by the SCOTUS since Chaplinsky, and it's precisely because America has a 1st amendment that can't be restricted from overbroad terms like generic "fighting words."
Here are just two convictions from "fighting words" that have been upheld by the SCOTUS since Chaplinsky:
Terminiello v. City of Chicago (1949)
In Terminiello v. Chicago, 337 U.S. 1 (1949), the Supreme Court narrowed the scope of what constitutes fighting words. The Court found that words which produce a clear and present danger are unprotected (and are considering fighting words), but words which invite dispute and causes unrest are protected (and are not considered fighting words). 

Feiner v. New York (1951)
In Feiner v. People of State of New York, 30 U.S. 315 (1951), the Supreme Court held that akin to the fighting words doctrine, an incitement to riot which creates a clear and present danger is also not protected by the First Amendment.

And where would the cutoff be? If it doesn't cause immediate harm, then it is ok?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Read those 3 cases about "fighting words" tossed out by the SCOTUS. It's pretty interesting. Those cases are fairly recent and the standard for precedence.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@PressF4Respect
A breach of the peace is defined in Brown v Durham Regional Police Force[1998] O.J. No. 5274 (CA) as an “act or actions which result in actual or threatened harm to someone” (para 71). 
right words which are hateful do neither of those, words that threaten, are a threat, which has been addressed in laws, so hate speech laws have expanded what is considered an "actual threat or threatened harm"  
From Wikipedia:
The various laws which refer to "hatred" do not define it. The Supreme Court has explained the meaning of the term in various cases which have come before the Court. For example, in R v Keegstra, decided in 1990, Chief Justice Dickson for the majority explained the meaning of "hatred" in the context of the Criminal Code:
Hatred is predicated on destruction, and hatred against identifiable groups therefore thrives on insensitivity, bigotry and destruction of both the target group and of the values of our society. Hatred in this sense is a most extreme emotion that belies reason; an emotion that, if exercised against members of an identifiable group, implies that those individuals are to be despised, scorned, denied respect and made subject to ill-treatment on the basis of group affiliation.[4]
More recently, in 2013, Justice Rothstein, speaking for the unanimous court, explained the meaning of "hatred" in similar terms, in relation to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code:
In my view, "detestation" and "vilification" aptly describe the harmful effect that the Code seeks to eliminate. Representations that expose a target group to detestation tend to inspire enmity and extreme ill-will against them, which goes beyond mere disdain or dislike. Representations vilifying a person or group will seek to abuse, denigrate or delegitimize them, to render them lawless, dangerous, unworthy or unacceptable in the eyes of the audience. Expression exposing vulnerable groups to detestation and vilification goes far beyond merely discrediting, humiliating or offending the victims.[5]
insensitivity, bigotry,  insensitivity isn't arbitrary to you?  values of our society.?  so personal values don't matter I guess, not the ones you disagree with anyway.  most extreme emotion that belies reason, emotion isn't arbitrary?  who defines what belies reason?  seems arbitrary.  individuals are to be despised, scorned, denied respect. how authoritarian.  enmity and extreme ill-will against the, more feelings again.
so we circles back to what I said, this is more about feelings than anything else, your speech is limited by your government so certain people, with special protections don't get their feelings hurt.
you agree that it's not defined I guess since that's the very first line in the quote, it's in bold now.  Judges under some guide lines determine if it's hate speech or not, again arbitrary.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
I will, because I thought that was an arrest able offense.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
The mere existence of hate speech laws show a restriction on free speech. Compare that to the US where no such law exists, we definitely have more free speech
Even if I do concede that the US has more free speech than Canada, would that necessarily make it better? I'm asking for your opinion here.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@PressF4Respect
Even if I do concede that the US has more free speech than Canada, would that necessarily make it better? I'm asking for your opinion here.
of course it would, we constantly talk about the erosion of our rights or the possibility of, it's already happened/happening in Canada :(
why would anyone want less freedom?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Really, the term "likely" simply attempts to codify what "someone" might interpret as a thoughtcrime, assuming both intent AND an aggrievance with no evidence. That's 2 Orwellian birds killed with one Canadian stone.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
why would anyone want less freedom?

For security of course. See China.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 

Prescient words in the scamdemic lockdown.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
right words which are hateful do neither of those, words that threaten, are a threat, which has been addressed in laws, so hate speech laws have expanded what is considered an "actual threat or threatened harm" 
Please see the definition of inciting again:
To arouse; urge; provoke; encourage; spur on; goad; stir up; instigate; set in motion; as in to incite a riot. Also, generally, in Criminal Law to instigate, persuade, or move another to commit a crime; in this sense nearly synonymous with abet.

you agree that it's not defined I guess since that's the very first line in the quote, it's in bold now.  Judges under some guide lines determine if it's hate speech or not, again arbitrary.
Yes. It's called a Supreme Court precedent. Just like with Brandenburg v. Ohio, the Supreme Court of Canada set the interpretation of that specific definition in a landmark case.

insensitivity, bigotry,  insensitivity isn't arbitrary to you?  values of our society.?  so personal values don't matter I guess, not the ones you disagree with anyway.  most extreme emotion that belies reason, emotion isn't arbitrary?  who defines what belies reason?  seems arbitrary.  individuals are to be despised, scorned, denied respect. how authoritarian.  enmity and extreme ill-will against the, more feelings again.
so we circles back to what I said, this is more about feelings than anything else, your speech is limited by your government so certain people, with special protections don't get their feelings hurt.
Does this seem arbitrary?
  • Promoting enmity and extreme ill-will against a particular group
  • Abusing, denigrating, and/or delegitimizing a particular group
  • To render them lawless, dangerous, unworthy or unacceptable in the eyes of the audience.
Does protecting various minority groups against this type of stuff seem arbitrary to you?

And remember:
Expression exposing vulnerable groups to detestation and vilification goes far beyond merely discrediting, humiliating or offending the victims.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@PressF4Respect
Does protecting various minority groups against this type of stuff seem arbitrary to you?

And remember:
Expression exposing vulnerable groups to detestation and vilification goes far beyond merely discrediting, humiliating or offending the victims.

absolutely, using words like "extreme"  "ill-will"  pretty much most of the words associated with the links laws etc, they are subjective and arbitrary since they use a lot of words open to interpretation. 

I detest the Latin gangs and ms13  I detest the violent blm groups, they should be vilified as well, or does the law only apply to those whom are deemed "good people" worthy of legal protection?

detestation: Extreme dislike; hatred; abhorrence; loathing: with of.

those are personal opinions and expressions aka free speech.

goes far beyond

again who decides that, what's the criteria?  more subjective and arbitrary wording.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
Yes. More liberty is definitely better than less liberty.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
At the cost of invoking Godwin's law, I ask you this:

The Weimar Republic had no censorship laws, for the most part. This was ensured by Article 118 of the Weimar constitution. This allowed any works (that weren't directed at kids) to be published, regardless of content. Books like Mein Kampf, that were brazenly antisemitic were allowed to be circulated. As the great depression rolled in, more and more people started adhering to the anti-Jewish sentiments espoused in the book. This led to Hitler becoming increasingly popular, which allowed him to gain power. We all know what happened next. 

They had very few censorship laws, yet in the end, the German people didn't end up more free. Now I'm not saying that America will become the next Nazi Germany. Instead, I'm simply asking you if, given this example, more freedom is necessarily better.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts