Why are people tearing down certain statues?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 122
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
George Washington was a slave owner. So was Tom Jefferson. Pity to eradicate their memory for that when they were so much more than that. Would you want to be remembered for just one thing? I didn't think so. We all have flaws. Pointing them out to one another accomplishes nothing.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Probably the only nation in the world where monuments erected to heal the nation after a Civil War are the cause of division 
civil war statues were not erected to heal the nation. Most of the statues were not put up in the years following the civil war. They really started to be built during the Jim Crowe era of segregation. 

The war ended in 1865. Most statues were built between 1890 and 1950, with the biggest spike being between 1900 and 1920. They were built as monuments to racism. The confederates they depict fought to keep the blacks enslaved. And the during the Jim Crowe era, white people will still trying to keep the blacks down. 

Why should america keep monuments to long dead traitors who fought so that others would never know freedom? 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
George Washington was a slave owner. So was Tom Jefferson. Pity to eradicate their memory for that when they were so much more than that. Would you want to be remembered for just one thing? I didn't think so. We all have flaws. Pointing them out to one another accomplishes nothing.
ok, but being a traitor to your nation so that you can prevent millions of people from ever knowing freedom is a pretty huge problem in your record. Lots of people owned slaves, I don't think that by itself is a reason to take down monuments. But if you fought and killed people to prevent the freedom of others while pretending you were fighting "for freedom", then you don't deserve a monument. 

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
in the sense that he should have 2 arms, 2 legs and a head? Absolutely. In the sense that you feel the need to make him Caucasian when he very clearly wasn't because middle eastern people are scary foreigners, no it's not particularly logical. 
And are you going to condemn people saying Jesus was black or do you only attack whitey for an irrelevant difference in depiction?

true, but he wasn't any of those other races. So depicting him that way is a lie.
Oh really? Show me the Polaroid.

but it is fundamentally counter to the argument that jesus was making. He wanted everyone to be treated the same. all equal. Needing to make jesus your race because you don't like him as he actually was proves you weren't actually listening to his message. Of course religious people very rarely actually listen to Jesus' message.
And you’d realize that Jesus’ message, not his depiction is what actually matters. Don’t think Jesus would care that pictures aren’t exactly replicas of His appearance.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
Thus candy-striped history buffed by pol-corr.  Not a valid filter.  History was what it was. Who made you the arbiter of what constitutes a good history, or a bad one. It was. It behooves us to make it better, but once you start destruction of it, where do you stop?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
Thus candy-striped history buffed by pol-corr.  Not a valid filter.  History was what it was. Who made you the arbiter of what constitutes a good history, or a bad one. It was. It behooves us to make it better, but once you start destruction of it, where do you stop?
what are you even talking about? No one is destroying history. No one is talking about forgetting history. We are talking about building statues to glorify specific parts of history. There are no statues to hitler in germany, but no one has forgotten him. You don't need to build statues to traitors to remember them. 

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@HistoryBuff
That guy is white. They were not restricted by materials. They didn't just make it with marble. They intentionally depict a white jesus. That is the point. 
They depicted a white Jesus, but a different type of white.  He's not pale, like a pale British or Irish person.  He looks Mediterranean, and since he is Israeli, that might be why he looks tan, but not pale.  Israelis like native Israelis look white, but tan white.  The UN classifies anyone ethnically from Europe, the middle east, or North Africa as white and (assuming they are assilimiinated to the same culture) it's very hard to tell a north African apart from a Southern European in some instances.  The church I attended had Jesus as tan rather than pale and the image you cited states the same.

Even Linda Sarsour, a Palestinian looks like she's from Europe if you remove her religious headwear.

Middle easterners look white generally.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
And are you going to condemn people saying Jesus was black or do you only attack whitey for an irrelevant difference in depiction?
if you look back at my previous replies, you will see I already did. If you need to depict someone as your ethnicity in order to listen to their message, you are probably a racist. 

Oh really? Show me the Polaroid.
lol, so you think Jesus, a middle eastern man, was blonde haired and blue eyed? And no one though to mention the fact that he looked like literally no one else?

And you’d realize that Jesus’ message, not his depiction is what actually matters. Don’t think Jesus would care that pictures aren’t exactly replicas of His appearance.
no, he preached that you should treat everyone as you would treat him. So using him in a racist way would probably sicken him. But alot of things christians do would probably sicken him. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@HistoryBuff
If you need a break, I understand.  I can wait a little to respond if you want.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheUnderdog
If you need a break, I understand.  I can wait a little to respond if you want.
I have no interest in discussing your attempts to rationalize racism. 

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@HistoryBuff
How was I doing that?  I said middle easterners are classified as white by the UN and many middle easterners look white.  Jesus is easily in this group.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheUnderdog
How was I doing that?  I said middle easterners are classified as white by the UN and many middle easterners look white.  Jesus is easily in this group.
you are attempting to rationalize depicting jesus as european as possible. He wasn't. He wouldn't have looked like a European. But countless depictions of him show him that way. that is racist. 

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
civil war statues were not erected to heal the nation. Most of the statues were not put up in the years following the civil war. They really started to be built during the Jim Crowe era of segregation. 

The war ended in 1865. Most statues were built between 1890 and 1950, with the biggest spike being between 1900 and 1920. They were built as monuments to racism. The confederates they depict fought to keep the blacks enslaved. And the during the Jim Crowe era, white people will still trying to keep the blacks down. 

Why should america keep monuments to long dead traitors who fought so that others would never know freedom? 
The South didn’t even own the South until 1876 when Reconstruction officially ended. You think Union soldiers were gonna allow people to build Confederate monuments? Our Founding Fathers fought to keep slavery legal threatening to prevent the states from being United. Should we destroy their statues too.

This is a slippery slope dude. Y’all were saying it will only be Confederates. Now we see statues of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt get defaced and taken down. If the Confederate flag is offensive to you but burning the American flag isn’t the maybe you need to reconsider your stance.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheUnderdog
Representing Jesus as White, Black, Brown, or Yellow is racist because he’s tan. No one gives a crap what the dude looks like. It was a method to attract more followers. The message is what matters not race. But what do you expect from a race baiting liberal
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
I am talking about people who pull down monuments. You know, the root subject of this forum post? Stay on point, yeah? There are no monuments to Hitler in this country, either. Why bring him up?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
This is a slippery slope dude. Y’all were saying it will only be Confederates. Now we see statues of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt get defaced and taken down. 
The slippery slope arguement is such a sad argument. I'm sure nazi's would make the same arguement. "you can't ban statues to hitler because tomorrow it will be someone else". It is pathetic. The confederates were traitors to their nation who fought to keep people in chains. They do not deserve monuments. 

If the Confederate flag is offensive to you but burning the American flag isn’t the maybe you need to reconsider your stance.
The confederate flag is a symbol of racism and oppression. Flying it is an insult and is really racist. Some people also see the american flag as a symbol of racism and oppression. I have no problem with people burning it, or any other flag. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
I am talking about people who pull down monuments. You know, the root subject of this forum post? Stay on point, yeah? 
monuments are not history. They are a commemoration. They are celebrating a specific event or person. You can teach history with no monuments. So saying destroying monuments is destroying history is bullshit. No one is destroying history. They are destroying monuments to traitors and slavers. We can still teach about them in schools without building monuments to them. 

There are no monuments to Hitler in this country, either. Why bring him up?
because your argument seems to be that if you don't build a monument to someone, then you are destroying history. Hitler doesn't get any statues, but everyone is still taught what he did. Similarly, the confederates don't deserve statues, but we should still teach people what they did. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
The slippery slope arguement is such a sad argument. I'm sure nazi's would make the same arguement. "you can't ban statues to hitler because tomorrow it will be someone else". It is pathetic. The confederates were traitors to their nation who fought to keep people in chains. They do not deserve monuments. 
Hitler has nothing to do what this. Washington was a slave owner. Jefferson was a slave owner. They were all racist if considered by modern times. The Founding Fathers fought to keep slaves in chains too especially the ones from the South. And it’s no longer a fallacy, it’s an argument because statues of Washington and Lincoln have been attacked for being slave owners. Is being a slave owner bad? Yes. Should monuments of them be taken down? Yes. Robert E. Lee was against slavery. He fought for the Confederacy because of his state. Southerners were fighting for their livelihood because their entire economy depended on slavery. There’s a plethora of underlying reasons why secession occurred which include slavery. 

The confederate flag is a symbol of racism and oppression. Flying it is an insult and is really racist. Some people also see the american flag as a symbol of racism and oppression. I have no problem with people burning it, or any other flag.
You’re literally advocating for the banning of the Confederate flag because it’s racist. People are burning the American flag because it represents racism. Should the American flag be banned too?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Hitler has nothing to do what this. Washington was a slave owner. 
He is an example of an important historical figure that does not deserve a statue and should not be forgotten. Exactly like the confederates. 

Washington was a slave owner. Jefferson was a slave owner. They were all racist if considered by modern times. 
The difference is that Washington and Jefferson weren't traitors to their people who fought a war against their own people just so that they could keep millions of people in slavery. 

You’re literally advocating for the banning of the Confederate flag because it’s racist. People are burning the American flag because it represents racism. Should the American flag be banned too?
no, because the US flag is the flag of a country. The Confederate flag represents a group of traitors who were fighting for slavery over a hundred years ago. They only existed for a couple of years. I agree that people should have the right to protest (including burning flags). 

If people want to buy confederate flags and put them in their own homes, they can go for it for all I care. But when it comes to public places, they don't need to display their racism there. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
He is an example of an important historical figure that does not deserve a statue and should not be forgotten. Exactly like the confederates. 
Hitler is a terrible analogy for a multitude of reasons

The difference is that Washington and Jefferson weren't traitors to their people who fought a war against their own people just so that they could keep millions of people in slavery.
So why are their statues being taken down? Oh wait slippery slope right?

no, because the US flag is the flag of a country. The Confederate flag represents a group of traitors who were fighting for slavery over a hundred years ago. They only existed for a couple of years. I agree that people should have the right to protest (including burning flags).
Confederates were pardoned by Presidents Lincoln and Johnson to heal the nation. Sure they were traitors, but they no longer are. They are simply Americans like you and I are. They fought for their livelihood like you and I would’ve without hindsight bias.

If people want to buy confederate flags and put them in their own homes, they can go for it for all I care. But when it comes to public places, they don't need to display their racism there.
No. Anyone should be able to take a Confederate flag to a public place. It’s called the first amendment.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Hitler is a terrible analogy for a multitude of reasons
not really. They are both assholes who killed for money and power. Neither deserve monuments. Seems pretty apt to me. 

So why are their statues being taken down? Oh wait slippery slope right?
depends on reasons and the statue I suppose. One statue of Lincoln, it was because the statue had a black man kneeling at his feet in subservience. The classic "white saviour" trope. There's that teddy roesevelt statue with him on a horse leading 2 half naked black slaves. That one is also super racist. 

It isn't just about who the statue is of, the context matters. 

Confederates were pardoned by Presidents Lincoln and Johnson to heal the nation. Sure they were traitors, but they no longer are. They are simply Americans like you and I are. They fought for their livelihood like you and I would’ve without hindsight bias.
Being pardoned for a crime doesn't mean you never committed it. They are traitors. They betrayed their country to protect their wealth and power. There is nothing about that that deserves a monument. 

No. Anyone should be able to take a Confederate flag to a public place. It’s called the first amendment.
That's not really what this topic is about, so I'm not going down this rabbit hole. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
not really. They are both assholes who killed for money and power. Neither deserve monuments. Seems pretty apt to me. 
I can’t help you if you don’t recognize the nuances of this Hitler analogy.

depends on reasons and the statue I suppose. One statue of Lincoln, it was because the statue had a black man kneeling at his feet in subservience. The classic "white saviour" trope. There's that teddy roesevelt statue with him on a horse leading 2 half naked black slaves. That one is also super racist.

It isn't just about who the statue is of, the context matters.
Context does matter. The black man was a freed slave kneeling and it was meant to celebrate liberation. Slavery was outlawed by white people lmao. There’s no “white savior.” It’s just “savior.” As for Roosevelt, he was one of the most Progressive Presidents. Every President in those times, if they were alive would be considered racists. Literally everyone was racist back then. Roosevelt wasn’t a slave owner. It has nothing to do with slavery because it was banned lol. Slavery was fully outlawed in all states and territories with the 13th Amendment. Looks can be deceiving. Pretty obvious you were deceived.

Being pardoned for a crime doesn't mean you never committed it. They are traitors. They betrayed their country to protect their wealth and power. There is nothing about that that deserves a monument.
I never said that they never committed treason. Your hatred would warrant every single Confederate be hanged. It was a way of life. You and I would’ve fought for our way of life if we were in their position.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
I can’t help you if you don’t recognize the nuances of this Hitler analogy.
you haven't given a single reason it is a bad analogy while i have explained why it is a good one. It might be you who doesn't understand. 

Context does matter. The black man was a freed slave kneeling and it was meant to celebrate liberation. Slavery was outlawed by white people lmao. There’s no “white savior.” It’s just “savior.”
you honestly don't see why a statue of black people kneeling at the feel of white people is racist? Really? The idea that white people needed to take care of black people was one of the underlying principles of slavery. They were "savages" that needed white men. So building statues showing this in action is pretty bad. 

As for Roosevelt, he was one of the most Progressive Presidents. Every President in those times, if they were alive would be considered racists. Literally everyone was racist back then. Roosevelt wasn’t a slave owner. It has nothing to do with slavery because it was banned lol
The statue shows a native american and black man in subservient roles to the white man. It's kinda racist. The context of the statue is important. 

I never said that they never committed treason. Your hatred would warrant every single Confederate be hanged. It was a way of life. You and I would’ve fought for our way of life if we were in their position.
Their way of life was kidnapping and enslaving enslaving people and working them to death so that they could be rich and powerful. When that wealth was threatened, they committed treason leading to deaths of over half a million people for the sole purpose of keeping those people in chains. They were traitors and slavers. They weren't heroes. They don't deserve monuments. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 The idea that white people needed to take care of black people was one of the underlying principles of slavery.

You misspelled affirmative action, welfare, and reparations.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@bmdrocks21
Looks like I hit a nerve🤡🤡
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Looks like I hit a nerve🤡🤡
how do you figure? I explained quite rationally why they don't deserve statues. I'm not upset at all. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
how do you figure? I explained quite rationally why they don't deserve statues. I'm not upset at all. 
So the white man’s burden doesn’t exist right?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
So the white man’s burden doesn’t exist right?
The concept certainly does. White people used it to explain why they needed to "help" natives or black people. They then used that excuse to enslave, murder and commit genocide. 

Statues showing natives and black people kneeling at white men's feet fit into this concept. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
The concept certainly does. White people used it to explain why they needed to "help" natives or black people. They then used that excuse to enslave, murder and commit genocide. 

Statues showing natives and black people kneeling at white men's feet fit into this concept. 
Yup so white people need to give reparations, give welfare, give them free sports for college to enrich them right?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Yup so white people need to give reparations, give welfare, give them free sports for college to enrich them right?
do you see what you are doing? We are talking about statues of black men kneeling at white people's feet. You then switch topics to try and make it about something completely different. It is a common tactic for people on the right. It shows me that you don't actually have a coherent argument, so you need to change topics and distract.