Why is trump insisting that schools should reopen this fall?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 78
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
I mean I get why it's fine to act on the advice of doctors that won't tell you that important bit of information. Millions of Americans are doing exactly what you are doing.
ahh good old republicans. When provided the advice of experts they stick their fingers in their ears and do whatever their oligarchs tell them to. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
ahh good old republicans. When provided the advice of experts they stick their fingers in their ears and do whatever their oligarchs tell them to. 
You mean the American Pediatric Association?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
You mean the American Pediatric Association?
The APA wants schools to be reopened safely, as do we all. Trump is ordering schools to re-open, but is skipping the whole "safely" part. There is no evidence he is taking significant action to keep teachers and students safe. 

There is a big difference between what the APA wants and what trump is doing. Here is a link to the safety guidelines they are recommending. So far I have seen no evidence the trump administration is doing any of this. If the trump administration passed rules saying that all of, or most of these rules needed to be followed in order for schools to re-open, then things would be different. I believe it is possible, and desirable, to get schools re-opened safely. But if we do not take these precautions before we re-open them, we are going to have a disaster on our hands. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
Trump is ordering schools to re-open, but is skipping the whole "safely" part. There is no evidence he is taking significant action to keep teachers and students safe. 
Who told you that? The mainstream media?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Trump is ordering schools to re-open, but is skipping the whole "safely" part. There is no evidence he is taking significant action to keep teachers and students safe. 
Who told you that? The mainstream media?
Betsy Devos over the weekend. she went on the news and told everyone schools would re-open under threat of being de-funded. But offered no concrete steps they are taking to keep students or teachers safe. I have asked people on here multiple times to show me any concrete steps they are taking and over and over they have been unable to do so. 

If you think i'm wrong, please feel free to show me what concrete steps they are taking to keep students and teachers safe.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
If you think i'm wrong, please feel free to show me what concrete steps they are taking to keep students and teachers safe.
There are a lot of reccomendations the CDC puts forth

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
There are a lot of reccomendations the CDC puts forth
there is 2 critical parts that:

1) that is not rules or resources being given to schools by the trump government. That is the CDC making suggestions

2) these are suggestions. these aren't rules. If schools don't have the time, resources or training to implement these, then they will still be forced to re-open. So trump is ordering schools to reopen, but not ensuring that things are safe. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
there is 2 critical parts that:

1) that is not rules or resources being given to schools by the trump government. That is the CDC making suggestions
The federal government always provides funds for the the resources. He can’t create rules for local govts. Read up on the concept of federalism

2) these are suggestions. these aren't rules. If schools don't have the time, resources or training to implement these, then they will still be forced to re-open. So trump is ordering schools to reopen, but not ensuring that things are safe. 
Let’s get one think straight. You clearly don’t understand the concept of federalism. The feds cannot force local governments to follow those rules. They can only reccomend.

Now you’re just moving the goalposts. Typical.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
The federal government always provides funds for the the resources. He can’t create rules for local govts. Read up on the concept of federalism
you think the government isn't allowed to provide resources for public schools?

Let’s get one think straight. You clearly don’t understand the concept of federalism. The feds cannot force local governments to follow those rules. They can only reccomend.

Now you’re just moving the goalposts. Typical.
nope, the goal posts are exactly where they started. I want to see details of exactly what resources the trump administration is going to give schools, and exactly what rules they will put in place to keep children safe. 

So far you seem to be arguing they aren't allowed to give resources and he can't make rules. So basically, you are confirming they he is doing nothing, but arguing that he isn't. It is some weird double think. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
you think the government isn't allowed to provide resources for public schools?
Yes. Obama did it with common core. Adopt common core or don’t get federal grant money.

So far you seem to be arguing they aren't allowed to give resources and he can't make rules. So basically, you are confirming they he is doing nothing, but arguing that he isn't. It is some weird double think.
They can stop funds lol. You’re arguing that he should be forcing schools to follow the CDC rules when he can’t do that because of federalism. Get your act together dude. 

Are you saying Trump shouldn’t provide federal grants if schools don’t follow the suggestions? That’s different than saying schools shouldn’t reopen lmao. You’re moving the goalposts so hard. Once again learn the concept of federalism cause you’re clearly not American or haven’t taken government or US History
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Look at this goalpost moving going on lmaoo 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
When provided the advice of experts they stick their fingers in their ears and do whatever their oligarchs tell them to. 

"The health risks of keeping schools closed are greater than those of opening them."

-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Yes. Obama did it with common core. Adopt common core or don’t get federal grant money.
ok, so your position is that it is totally fine for a president the threaten schools to force them to reopen, but that he cannot provide them with any resources to help them re-open safely? That is really what you want to argue?

They can stop funds lol. You’re arguing that he should be forcing schools to follow the CDC rules when he can’t do that because of federalism. Get your act together dude.
You're contradicting yourself. You say that trump has the power to force them to re-open, but he doesn't have the power to force them to follow rules. Which is it? Can he make orders to schools or not?

Are you saying Trump shouldn’t provide federal grants if schools don’t follow the suggestions? 
no, i'm suggesting that schools that don't follow the suggestions should be kept closed until they do. 

You’re moving the goalposts so hard. 
again, no i am not. The goalposts are exactly where they started. I want to know what concrete steps the trump government has taken to make schools safe to reopen. You are saying they can't provide resources, they can't enforce rules. So essentially, you are confirming they they have done nothing but are still threatening them to force them open. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
"The health risks of keeping schools closed are greater than those of opening them."

-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield
There are definitely health risks to keeping them closed. No one is arguing otherwise. But that quote is not saying we should reopen them with no safety regulations in place and without proper protective equipment. The CDC has a list of recommendations for how schools could open safely, but I have seen no evidence that anyone is planning on actually making sure schools follow them, or have the resources to follow them. Proceeding to force them open without making them safe is a horrible policy that will kill thousands and thousands of people. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
firstly, if schools don't open wouldn't their expenses be greatly reduced?  so why would you give them money for not operating?  what other business or entity works that way?

aren't there some daycares still operating?

the claim is there are studies that child to parent transmission is very unlikely, many other countries have opened their schools and have not seen an increase in cases so.....

I believe they closed schools for a year during the spanish flu pandemic and that generation was negatively affected because of it.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
ok, so your position is that it is totally fine for a president the threaten schools to force them to reopen, but that he cannot provide them with any resources to help them re-open safely? That is really what you want to argue?
That’s not what I’m saying lmao.

You're contradicting yourself. You say that trump has the power to force them to re-open, but he doesn't have the power to force them to follow rules. Which is it? Can he make orders to schools or not?
No I never said Trump has the power to force them to re-open because I unlike you recognize what federalism is. He can advocate it by denying federal grant money to schools that don’t re-open. 

no, i'm suggesting that schools that don't follow the suggestions should be kept closed until they do.
The President can’t force local school districts to do that genius. Learn what federalism is.

again, no i am not. The goalposts are exactly where they started. I want to know what concrete steps the trump government has taken to make schools safe to reopen. You are saying they can't provide resources, they can't enforce rules. So essentially, you are confirming they they have done nothing but are still threatening them to force them open.
Did you even both reading what I wrote? He can’t take concrete steps to do anything. He can’t force schools to open or close, as its not his power. If school districts want to open without safe steps they have the right to just like schools who don’t want to reopen. Are you saying that if schools don’t reopen safely that they should not get federal funding? 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I hate it when people don’t understand the concept of federalism 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ILikePie5
if only the federal government would stay out of state issues more......too many cooks....
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
if only the federal government would stay out of state issues more......too many cooks....
And then we have non-Americans mouthing off that our system is garbage and stuff
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Did you even both reading what I wrote? He can’t take concrete steps to do anything. 
I'm glad to see you have finally admitted that I have been correct this whole time. I said trump is trying to force schools to reopen without taking any concrete steps to ensure the safety of staff or children. 

you just admitted that he has taken no concrete steps to safeguard those people. Since we know he is threatening schools to try to force them to reopen, both of my points are now confirmed. So thank you for confirming I am correct. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ILikePie5
government manipulating, influencing etc other parts under threat of with holding money is nothing new, but since it's Trump they all went stupid and forgot all the administrations that had done it before him, simply amazing this selective memory.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
I'm glad to see you have finally admitted that I have been correct this whole time. I said trump is trying to force schools to reopen without taking any concrete steps to ensure the safety of staff or children. 

you just admitted that he has taken no concrete steps to safeguard those people. Since we know he is threatening schools to try to force them to reopen, both of my points are now confirmed. So thank you for confirming I am correct. 
Sure so schools can open and Trump can’t do nothing about it so stop blaming Trump lmao. 

All he can do is prevent federal grants for all online. That’s within his rights. What’s wrong with that lmao
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
government manipulating, influencing etc other parts under threat of with holding money is nothing new, but since it's Trump they all stupid and forgot all the administrations that had done it before him, simply amazing this selective memory.
I don’t even know what his argument is. Schools shouldn’t open cause Trump can’t force safety? Like wtf?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ILikePie5
I don’t even know what his argument is.

Orange man bad (not really an argument but when you say that after reading the post it makes sense)
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Sure so schools can open and Trump can’t do nothing about it so stop blaming Trump lmao. 
That would be accurate, assuming trump was not threatening them in order to force them open. If he was calling for them to stay closed unless it was safe, then schools chose to open in an unsafe way, then sure. Trump is not to blame. But trump is threatening them to force them to open and doing nothing to make sure they are safe. That makes him responsible for the consequences. So when people start dying because of this, that blood is on his hands. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
But trump is threatening them to force them to open and doing nothing to make sure they are safe. That makes him responsible for the consequences. So when people start dying because of this, that blood is on his hands.
You need help dude. Trump is advocating for schools to open safely, with the tactics mentioned by the CDC. If you go online, you don’t get funds. That’s his right. I don’t see what your problem is. Schools should open.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
You need help dude. Trump is advocating for schools to open safely, with the tactics mentioned by the CDC. If you go online, you don’t get funds. That’s his right. I don’t see what your problem is. Schools should open.
on one point we agree. We both think schools should re-open. The difference is I think that they should ONLY reopen if they can show that they can do it safely. IE they need to show that they are ready and able to institute all the guidelines and safety procedures laid out by the CDC. 

The problem is that trump doesn't give a shit about that. He is telling those schools that they must open. He isnt saying open if it's safe. He is threatening that if they dare not reopen because they don't think it's safe, he'll cut their funding. Trump is endangering thousands and thousands of lives by insisting schools open and doing absolutely nothing to make sure it's safe. And this is going to bite him in the ass hard. It is a tragedy that so many people will have to die 1st. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
The difference is I think that they should ONLY reopen if they can show that they can do it safely. IE they need to show that they are ready and able to institute all the guidelines and safety procedures laid out by the CDC. 
Trump can’t force this. 

The problem is that trump doesn't give a shit about that. He is telling those schools that they must open. He isnt saying open if it's safe. He is threatening that if they dare not reopen because they don't think it's safe, he'll cut their funding. Trump is endangering thousands and thousands of lives by insisting schools open and doing absolutely nothing to make sure it's safe. And this is going to bite him in the ass hard. It is a tragedy that so many people will have to die 1st.
How many times do I have to tell you. Trump can only advocate opening schools using the techniques the CDC laid out, which he is doing. The APA already said schools should open nationwide with the safety precautions. I don’t know why you disagree. The cities that don’t want to reopen schools safely are not listening to the science and experts. Sounds like you don’t believe in science.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
He can’t stand the fact that Trump isn’t to blame for this and science supports the reopening of schools.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
He can’t stand the fact that Trump isn’t to blame for this 
Did trump cause the virus? no of course not. Did trump's lack of leadership, belittling the crisis and undermining the CDC's attempts to control the virus cause it to get worse and kill thousands more people? Absolutely.

and science supports the reopening of schools.
I keep repeating over and over that I support re-opening schools safely. But that requires significant resources, guidelines and training to do properly. Trump is skipping the whole "safely" part and just going to "threaten them until they send children into a confined space where the virus can spread".