The "King of the hill medal" should be revised or removed, changed my mind.

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 16
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
What was the last lead change? more than half of a year ago?

Oromagi is flawlessly winning. Especially since Oromagi is literally 150 points over everyone else, On the contrary, Everyone below 8th place is less than 150 points above the average debater. So what that means is Oro is as far away above the lower top 10 as the lower top 10 is to a normal person(1500).

Oromagi won 80 debates in his DArt career, so one in the most-case scenario, has to win at least 80 debates WITH NO LOSSES in order to get that medal at this point. It is damn near impossible and for the average DArt user, a 10-streak of winning is already good enough, let alone 80.

At this point, getting that medal is near impossible and with a near-impossible challenge no one will be even moltivated to get that. This is equivalent to making me beat Bsh1 on DDO at its golden age.

This thread is not meant to target Oromagi in any way. This is questioning the practicality of an achievement that is almost impossible. 

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Removing this achievement unfairly discriminates against those who have gotten it (oromagi is not the only one) by removing the reward they got with the achievement, even if it is a tiny reward (gold medal/prestige on the site). On the other hand keeping it discriminates against nobody even if it is impossible to surpass oromagi because not having an achievement does not result in any penalty.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
changed my mind
Have you changed your mind then?....Or is this the reason why you do not have a "King of the Hill medal?

Everyone can have a medal for doing stuff if needs be.....Medals is medals....And only of any value if they can be sold for hard cash. 

How about a "King of the Hill medal" for the most grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.....Though, I think that Dr Franklin would dominate this category.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Medals is medals....And only of any value if they can be sold for hard cash.
Your mentality has to be among the most misery-inducing ever. This post, more than most of yours, makes crystal clear what an uninspired materialist you are in every sense of both terms.

I don't think I've ever seen a post by you where it doesn't bleed through but here it became very clear for all to see.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@zedvictor4
Oh no, it’s a typo.
Crocodile
Crocodile
-->
@Intelligence_06
Not only oromagi has received that medal. RM has, Ramshutu has too. The medal is a motivation to push for the top, removing it would be removing one of the reasons a leaderboard tool is useful
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Are you related to Mr Ethan?

Mr Ethan often refers to me as a materialist.

Realist maybe, but far from a materialist.

Materialists are those that revel in trinketry....Stuff like medals.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Removing the medal takes away a reason to be at the top and strive to get better. To remove that, is like removing someone's pride

But to be fair, I don't even have one for having the most forum posts, so I have no place to comment on this issue XD
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Materialists are those that revel in trinketry....Stuff like medals.
Good try. What material benefit does it give those that earn it?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@ RationalMadman

An accolade.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
LOL!

So, THAT is 'materialism' yet you argued against it saying this:

Everyone can have a medal for doing stuff if needs be.....Medals is medals....And only of any value if they can be sold for hard cash. 
You have been exposed and have refuted your own premise.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Intelligence_06
I agree that putting a reward so far out of reach is de-motivating.  I'd be open to proposals for a new achievement system.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@oromagi
And thus the King of the Hill spoke.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Rationalmadman

Blocked but nonetheless still infatuated.

Yep. A worthless accolade could be regarded as  materialism...So what.....How have I refuted my own premise?.....As my premise was that accolades are worthless.

Hard cash pays the bills.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
I was tempted to accept a bunch of free win debates to get that medal back when it was within reach, and have mixed feelings toward my choice.

Still, whatever negative things can be said, there's no denying the crazy effort put into it by RM, Ram, and Oro. They've got something the rest of us will not, and nothing would be gained from taking it away. Any changes to the standard for it, would needlessly water down what they went through for it.

We can however always add more medals. Say one for making it to the first page of the leaderboard, another for top 10... Or for various scores... Whatever.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
There are many problems with the very structure of a debating website. To begin with, most human beings dislike interacting in an environment where everyone is arguing (obviously). This alone means no matter how well it's done, the website will forever remain unpopular vs almost any other forum of its tier.

The other problem is that due to the anonymity of the users and thus 'worthlessness' of achievements (but not monetarily I mean even for glory for you as a person IRL) the kind of things you engage in 1v1 debates involve so much wasted effort and often saying stuff you don't really believe just to scrape out points (I am unique because I simply pivot BoP if I'm vs an opponent who slipped up so I rarely have to flesh out points I don't agree with just to 'win' but even then I have had debates that represent points of view I don't personally feel proud to show off nor the content of my opponent... to people I know IRL).

This kind of 'competitive environment' is one where we are seriously a select few humans out of a select few humans who even give enough of a shit about our Rating/Ranking to even begin to fathom discussing which medals matter.

I will always be that weirdo though and in life, for me at least, it helped me structure what was otherwise a chaotic ball of energetic and fruitless motivation. Rather than just be angry with the world, I became angry with myself to failing to understand why I was failing to compete in the world, in a website and anything. I am what I am and apply myself uniquely to an environment to excel in ways literally no one except me can.

This is something I am proud of even if the 'achievements gained' are worthless to all (including me). It's about mastering strategy in and of itself and applying myself and my unique tactics, it's something I enjoy and will do to the very day I die (and beyond, depending on how much of this persona remains in the afterlife).

I am not win-addicted, I am addicted instead to understanding the mechanics by which winners vs losers in any given environment are decided. Once understood, I don't mind being a loser anymore. I am more INTP than INTJ and that will always be the case, I am sure. The J has increased with age though and I certainly apply myself better than I did in my lazier times.

To me 'laziness' is an illusion by the way, lazy people are merely people who passionately dedicate themselves to avoiding what needs to be done. INTPs are often extremely hard-working inside their heads, it's just that they fail to apply it to anything that (as zedvictor says) 'matters'.