The new debate summary page

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 27
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
The new debate summary page [specific to each debate] is terrific. Agree? Disagree?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I think it looks weird. That will take me days to adjust to that but yeah it is more stuff. This mode is so different if made me think back to when I came here from ddo..
Username
Debates: 9
Username
its cool. 
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
A few things will still change over the next few weeks, but I hope you like it guys. Let me know if you have any ideas on what to add/change :)
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I really enjoy the changes in general. I think it looks a lot more cleaner. Just like a lot of things, it will take time to adjust
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
I'm concerned that conspicuously indicating the debaters' statistics may prime voters' minds for confirmation bias in favor of users with substantially higher ratings.
Crocodile
Debates: 22
Crocodile
i think it looks strange
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
I love the new changes!!!
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
its looks great
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Bars for points, I do not like. 
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
It does not look too good on a mobile device. I’ll compare to computer and generate ideas later.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
Could you please give me more details what looks off on a mobile device? 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@DebateArt.com
Well... on a phone the boxes are not symmetrical.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Intelligence_06
I am not sure I follow, could you please send me a screenshot?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@DebateArt.com
On my iphone, the format is entirely vertical [such as the instigator-green / contender - red boxes are stacked rather than side-by-side on my imac, ipad, and probook, and the debater stats are beneath each box, respectively, then the debate resolution is next, vertically, followed by the debate status, then debate parameters, then description,  then the arguments/comments/votes selection, and following are the argument rounds in vertically segmented columns, just as on my imac, ipad, and probook. But then, Apple products tend to maintain image format across product lines, with the exception of the stacking on my iphone, as noted, unlike the unhappy marriage of Windows and Android. 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@fauxlaw
Thanks a lot for feedback! And yeah, that's the expected layout because on the mobile devices screen is really narrow so everything fits only vertically. But as the screen gets wider, the layout adapts. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@DebateArt.com
Some debates within the 1000-2000 range cannot display properly, and if I want to use them as research i just says "You broke our website", etc. Please fix if possible.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Intelligence_06
Thanks a lot for letting me know, it was a bug and I've just fixed it. Let me know if you find something else not working :)
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
I'll note for the record that the debate page update still includes the instruction that sourcing is required as a feature of arguments.

This notice is not to be considered as a voting element in the current debate in the voting cycle, https://www.debateart.com/debates/2221-resolved-referenced-sources-are-necessary-in-a-debate
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@fauxlaw
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then it's a different page so it hasn't been updated yet.
Barney
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
Could you please give me more details what looks off on a mobile device?
IMO, on a mobile device it becomes way too much at the start. On my iPhone, it's three pages of stuff before the main content (and that is for debates with "no information" as their description). The first page is basically just who the instigator is, but it's not going to be meaningful to a casual view.

I checked and it indeed looks better if holding the phone horizontal instead of vertical.

Since apparently Google is obsessed with a mobile version being available for pages, I would suggest either making them minimalistic or putting all the information prior to the debate itself into a tab on mobile devices.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
I am afraid dropping some info to make it minimalistic is not an option because Google runs mobile-first crawlers and if something is not present on the mobile version, it will not be indexed. I will think about the idea with another tab, that could work out. But if to be honest, using a website like ours on a mobile device is doubtful experience, especially when actively participating in debates or the forum, so I kinda of develop the mobile version with a "good-enough" approach so that it would be usable at least to some extent and to please the search engines, of course :/
Barney
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
Understood!
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I really like the improvement in text wrap around.   Now I can put two skinny screens side by side so I can read my opponents argument more readily as I compose a response.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
Am I archaic in doing most of my work on my iMac? A 27" screen?  With two other monitors of the same size? I have trouble enough with my full-size keyboard. I wish I had keys 1" square, making my keyboard about double its current size.  I have, for better or worse, big hands and fingers. Fingers too big to adequately write with speed on my iphone. So, I don't.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
-> @oromagi

Am I archaic in doing most of my work on my iMac?

Yes but if you are achaic then I am an anachronism since I am on an iMac 7,1 with 20" screen, circa 2007. 

I hate the tight little keyboard, too.  The best keyboard ever was a Sun Microsystems type 5 which was the standard when I learned UNIX admin in the 90's.  It had such a great tactile punch and took a tremendous beating.  It was also very loud but as I am very deaf so that never bothered me.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@oromagi
Ah. Glad you are a person of culture. All those boys who thinks they are smarter than me because they play a shooting game has those shiny flashy black keyboards that cost thousands(10 times the price of the computer I am using!)

Glad someone(especially a highly respected and intelligent individual) has some appreciation for those sleek keyboards that work better in every way because the budget aren't spent on flashing lights. Yes. They are cheaper and they simply won't make me look down after 5 seconds of usage.