Author: SkepticalOne

Total: 278
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
@amandragon01
Tradesecret wrote: I'm not sure what you are saying about religious conviction.  In my view EVERYONE is religious.  I say religion is inescapable.  Humans are religious beings. 

But haven't you also said that you don't believe in religion and  that all religion should be banned?

FLRW
FLRW

In our long history, how likely was it that our ancestors died as children? Historical studies suggest that around one-quarter of infants died in their first year of life and around half of all children died before they reached the end of puberty. It’s only in the very recent past that we’ve seen dramatic improvements.

Therefore, the opiate religion was invented. This was before Intelligent Man evolved from Worm Man.

13 days later

amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@Lemming
I find your talk of faith as one basis somewhat interesting, but I would question position (well I do question any position) that requires faith to be stable. If the position is stable without the faith then why add it? It's like an unnecessary leg on your chair.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
Well, myself I'd say faith can be stable or unstable,
As I view it myself as a thought that something is,
I don't really see a reason 'not to have faith that 2+2=4,
Or that X friend is a good person,
That we've landed on the moon in the past.

Though, I have a greater certainty that 2+2=4, than that we landed on the moon, or that my friend is a good person, believe those things, though I still do.

Still, not everyone agrees with my definition of faith,
Maybe my faith doesn't match the Bible's version either,

Since it uses the word hope,
Maybe it means faith in a 'different way, than I do.
Something I'm unsure of.

But in casual conversation, people who avoid the word belief,
Seem to me most trying to separate themselves from any relation of religion,
'Regardless of the words meaning,
Seeing on how many ideas and conversations, the word belief, is easily used.

I could say I believe that my friend is actually an evil person,
Certainly that would not be something I 'hope for,
But again for me, belief is simply what I 'think is true, I think.

Also this,
Looks like faith has a lot of different definitions and uses.

. . .

Ah, I'd forgotten my earlier comments on this thread,
Well, to put faith more in it's place as a justification,
I'd argue people have intuitions,
They're not 'always true, I'd 'think they often are, but I don't know,

I also view faith a bit in that regard,
People have fight or flight instincts,
Even if they can't put their finger on what's wrong, there's 'something to take note of,
'Can be something fake, such as a Halloween costume, or could be something real like an untrustworthy stranger,
Warning signs, red flags aren't always visible, but if one has faith despite the visible evidence, well, we listen to faith.

I admit intuition doesn't 'always work,
People end up in mental hospitals, because their body and brain are messed up, schizophrenic, sending certainties 'despite all visible evidence, certainties that are wrong, but an individual cannot help but believe and act on them.
A person might have a glass floor on a skyscraper, and be unsettled by vertigo, despite the safety.
Though I don't think either of these examples discounts intuition and faith, myself,
Even facts and evidence can be wrong, planted, fooled,
Though I don't discount evidence and facts for those reasons either.

amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@Lemming
Yet all of those beliefs are built to one degree or another on evidence aren't they? We can test 2+2=4 We can use direct and personal past experience to determine if X Is a good person or not. The moon landing the evidence gets less direct.

I would say Faith comes into play when that evidence is lacking.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
'Is 2+2=4 though?
It really is I'd say, since one is referring to a specific use of numbers, but other uses of numbers exist as well,
A person 'thinks 2+2 has been thoroughly tested beyond doubt, yet when they apply it elsewhere,

"The ordinal scale has all the qualities of the nominal scale plus the ability to rank objects according to some attribute. If you ranked all the members of a group according to height, "1" would be the tallest, "2" the second tallest and so on. However, the intervals between these rankings are not necessarily equal. If the tallest people were 5'11", 5'8" and 5'7", respectively, the interval between the first two ranks would be 3 inches, while the interval between the last two is only 1 inch. Ranking in various sports and beauty contests are also only ordinal scales."

"Most psychological tests are only ordinal measures! Let's say that three different people score 60, 40 and 20 on a test of extraversion (having outgoing personality traits). Because it is an ordinal scale we can correctly say that 60 is the most extraverted (rank #1), 40 is the second most, and 20 is the third most or least extraverted.
Notice that the difference between 60 and 40 is 20, and the difference between 40 and 20 is also 20. However, a 20-point difference in one part of the scale may not have the same meaning as a 20-point difference in another part of the scale. Thus the same difference of 20 points may not reflect the same underlying difference in extraversion, because we don't know if the intervals are equal. It is not an interval scale.
Likewise, even though 20 x 2 = 40 and 20 x 3 = 60, we cannot correctly say that the person with a score of 60 has three times the extraversion as the person with 20 or that the person with a score of 40 has twice as much. We cannot compare scores in terms of multiples, because the scale has no true or absolute zero. It is not a ratio scale.
Again, most psychological tests � and almost all tests used in our schools (including mine) � are only ordinal measures. These tests allow ranking of people according to various attributes � personality traits or knowledge in specific subject areas. However, if someone gets a score twice as great as yours, it does not mean that person knows twice as much as you do."

They're not wrong, 2+2=4,
But again,

"An interval scale combines the qualities of the previous scales with equal intervals. The best example would be a centigrade (Celcius) thermometer. The change in heat between 0oC and 10oC is the same as between 10oC and 20oC. But watch out! 20oC is not twice as hot as 10oC! Why? Interval scales have arbitrary zeros (just because we decided to call it zero), rather than absolute (true) zeros. At 0oC water freezes, but that does not mean that there is no heat.

In contrast, the ratio scale has all the qualities of the previous scales plus an absolute (true) zero, as with a Kelvin thermometer. At 0oK, theoretically there is no heat. You have nothing of what you are measuring, therefore the zero is true or absolute. However, 0oK = -273oC. Since one degree indicates the same heat change in both scales, we can see what happens when we compare them."

Is it wrong to say people have 'faith that 2+2=4?
And though this faith is not wrong, it can lead them to false conclusions in situations?
. . .
I'm not trying to knock faith with these examples,
I still think highly of it, and think it 'right in many situations,
I just don't understand people who insist on a complete absence of faith in their brains and lives,
Though it 'might be that I'm misunderstanding them,

Though maybe they'd argue they don't have faith 2+2=4, in the specific way they 'meant it,
But they'd 'still have faith in 2+2=4 as a general 'concept, I 'd think.

Of determining through past experiences,
Some people are not always what they seem,
Friends turn out to be secret serial killers,
One day a family member commits a crime, and their family insists they 'never would have done such. 

. . .

Though maybe all this argues 'against my faith as a chair leg?
If I describe it 'only as 'thinking of something, and discount faith through mental illness and human error?

Hm, no I don't think so,
Though I'm not making examples with intuition being true,
I assume you already agree with me that intuition 'is often true, or hinting at 'something true,
Though I'll argue for the truth of intuition of you like,

In the 'moment however, I'm arguing 'against people who claim no need or use of belief.
I think.
amandragon01
amandragon01

Is it wrong to say people have 'faith that 2+2=4?
Yes. They have evidence for their belief that 2+2=4. Faith is belief without evidence.

And though this faith is not wrong, it can lead them to false conclusions in situations?
It's not faith. It's a belief built on evidence. I have seen 2+2=4 tested and found correct probably thousands of times in my life. I have evidence for that belief. If there is evidence then it is a belief if there is no evidence then it's faith. Either can potentially be correct or incorrect, but one has evidence the other doesn't.

Of determining through past experiences,
Some people are not always what they seem,
Friends turn out to be secret serial killers,
One day a family member commits a crime, and their family insists they 'never would have done such. 
Again if the evidence leads to a correct belief isn't what matters, that the belief is backed by evidence is the required criteria.

Hm, no I don't think so,
Though I'm not making examples with intuition being true,
I assume you already agree with me that intuition 'is often true, or hinting at 'something true,
Though I'll argue for the truth of intuition of you like,
I see this as moot. While I have no particular trust in intuition, I certainly wouldn't form more than an assumption based on it. I also fail to see why it's relevant to faith.

In the 'moment however, I'm arguing 'against people who claim no need or use of belief.
I think.
You are incorrect. At least in your discussion with me. I am not speaking of people who claim no need for belief. I am speaks of *faith* they are not the same thing. If a belief is supported by evidence, then it is not faith. I have many beliefs. I cannot think of anything accept as true without evidence. I make *assumptions* when necessary, but they aren't faith as I don't accept them as true.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
What 'qualifies as evidence?
Would personal experiences qualify?
For surely faith does not arise without reason or cause?
Thomas Aquinas writes: "A man would not believe unless he saw the things he had to believe, either by the evidence of miracles or of something similar"

"C.S. Lewis described his experience of faith in his book Mere Christianity by distinguishing between two usages of the word. He describes the first as follows: "Faith seems to be used by Christians in two senses or on two levels ... In the first sense it means simply Belief."[25] Several paragraphs later he continues with "Faith, in the sense in which I am here using the word, is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods."

If an uneducated fellow is shown calculous, will he understand?
Or is evidence something 'personal at times, as well as shown other times?
For a person can 'learn calculous,
Yet 'if God were to exist, can a person 'not learn of God?

Insist you might, that 2+2=4, can be shown, while God cannot,
Well, I am not a prophet, God, or a Miracle,
How shall a Caveman be taught calculous, when 'evidence of calculous yet exists for him?

Of the religious,
Can one not argue they have felt and seen justification for their faith,  thousands of times?
Though perhaps this varies, and others find certainty, a difficulty, well,

. . .

Well, I suppose intuition is only relevant to faith, in 'my examples,
And more of a brainstorm, than well thought out,
Certainly the word and connotations of faith vary,
Whether Religious discussion, or in it's common speak.
To myself though, intuition has more than 'small value.

You don't view as true common statements you make of everyday life?
Well, I 'suppose some people might be skeptical and precise of life,
I'd say I have faith that my coworker won't suddenly knife me,
Sure I suppose he could go psycho one day, but I'm pretty sure of my belief.
And by 'acting on it, I show my 'faith in said scenario,
Had I no faith in my coworker, I wouldn't go to work.
I'd argue faith is shown in our actions.

I'd also argue as I did early on in this thread,
When I do a Google search for synonyms of faith, one of the matches is trust.
And when I do a Google search of synonyms of trust, one of the matches is faith.
Though as SkepticalOne says,
Faith can have a more specific meaning, related to religion.
amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@Lemming
What 'qualifies as evidence?
Would personal experiences qualify?
For surely faith does not arise without reason or cause?

Evidence is any fact or information that supports a claim. Which is why I don't put much stock in faith. It's belief without facts or information.

If an uneducated fellow is shown calculous, will he understand?
Or is evidence something 'personal at times, as well as shown other times?
For a person can 'learn calculous,
Yet 'if God were to exist, can a person 'not learn of God?

It doesn't matter if he understands. His evidence could easily be provided by seeing calculus applied successfully. Again any fact or information that supports a claim is evidence for that claim. If you have evidence then you don't have faith.

Insist you might, that 2+2=4, can be shown, while God cannot,
Well, I am not a prophet, God, or a Miracle,
How shall a Caveman be taught calculous, when 'evidence of calculous yet exists for him?
The same way a child is surely? Also, this is a red herring. We're not discussing the existence of gods we're discussing faith.
Also, if your caveman lacks evidence (having seen calculus applied repeatedly in an effective fashion for example) then I'd ask why should he be expected to believe it? 

Of the religious,
Can one not argue they have felt and seen justification for their faith,  thousands of times?
Though perhaps this varies, and others find certainty, a difficulty, well,
Sure they can argue all they like. Yet if they have facts or information to support their belief they have evidence for it and it's not faith, if they don't, then I why believe it? What use is faith in helping one trying to ensure they believe true things where possible?

You don't view as true common statements you make of everyday life?
Most of the statements I make. Though I don't know how this is relevant. I still can't think of a thing that I accept as true without evidence. Just as importantly however, I don't expect others to believe my statements without evidence.

Well, I 'suppose some people might be skeptical and precise of life,
I'd say I have faith that my coworker won't suddenly knife me,
Sure I suppose he could go psycho one day, but I'm pretty sure of my belief.
I assume my Co-workers won't. I wouldn't say I'm beyond considering the possibility considering they would.

I'd also argue as I did early on in this thread,
When I do a Google search for synonyms of faith, one of the matches is trust.
And when I do a Google search of synonyms of trust, one of the matches is faith.
Though as SkepticalOne says,
Faith can have a more specific meaning, related to religion.
Faith is contextual. It can mean complete trust (different from just trust, I trust some people, I don't know as there is anyone I completely trust), but in the context of acceptance of a claim as is the case in this threads context, it is defined as belief without evidence. Which I have seen no evidence of being useful.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
Well, I've been arguing 'mostly for the sake of arguing, I suppose,

I'd say I agree that,
Faith justifying itself doesn't 'quite work,
And with how synonymous some words are,
Bit like saying my belief justifies my belief,
My faith justifies my faith,
My trust justifies my trust,

Though I don't think that faith is or has to be without facts of information myself,
Depends how one uses it I suppose.
Though it's true people sometimes accept information on faith,
Meaning they've not thought it through themselves, but have faith in the provider of said information, that they'll not lead them astray.
And then,
There's other people who's faith is 'renewed, by an experience or proof.

I'd agree though,
That my trust/faith in my brother,
Would have been formed through experiences, insights, intuition, 'somethings,
Rather than being founded on itself.

And I'd agree having thought on it some,
That,
"Some common synonyms of faith are belief, credence, and credit. While all these words mean "assent to the truth of something offered for acceptance," faith almost always implies certitude even where there is no evidence or proof."

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@amandragon01
Faith and belief are both assumptions in the absence of factual data.

If someone points a gun at you and then shoots. Would you accept their explanation, that they had faith that the bullet would  turn to fairy dust?

Yet we are expected to accept out of hand a persons faith/belief in a supernatural floaty about creation guy.
amandragon01
amandragon01
Though I don't think that faith is or has to be without facts of information myself,
Depends how one uses it I suppose.
Though it's true people sometimes accept information on faith,
Meaning they've not thought it through themselves, but have faith in the provider of said information, that they'll not lead them astray.
And then,
There's other people who's faith is 'renewed, by an experience or proof.
But there in lies the crux of the disagreement. Faith is belief without evidence. I have yet to see any reason for faith. If you want to talk about beliefs, then sure I have beliefs. I believe in many many things. The Internet for example. That however isn't faith.

However to move back to my original point. If faith needs something to support it then it isn't a basis is it? You're putting a legs on your chair leg.

I'd agree though,
That my trust/faith in my brother,
Would have been formed through experiences, insights, intuition, 'somethings,
Rather than being founded on itself.

Then I would say it's probably best to define it as trust rather than faith for claritys sake. You trust your brother because you know him your evidence is based on what you know of his character and past actions. It's not great evidence, but it moves us beyond the realm of faith. 

Intuition is usually a very bad basis for belief. Why believe anything because of a feeling? I would say intuition is a basis for faith. Experience isn't.

amandragon01
amandragon01
No, belief is merely the acceptance of a thing as being true or in accordance with reality. I believe in tables, because I have evidence supporting the existence of tables.

Yet we are expected to accept out of hand a persons faith/belief in a supernatural floaty about creation guy.
I would say you're not expected to accept any claim. I certainly don't expect  anyone to believe anything without a good reason. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
FAITH = BELIEF WITHOUT EVIDENCE (trust in yhwh based on hearsay)

SCIENCE = BELIEF WITH EVIDENCE

UNIFORM STANDARDS OF EVIDENCE ARE FUNDAMENTAL

EVIDENCE IS QUANTIFIED BY SIGMA (CONFIDENCE)
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
I'd agree that faith doesn't quite work as a basis,
And even when people do make a decision, because they have faith in X,
I'd suppose there's 'reasons they have faith in X, rather than faith being the reason they have faith in X.

Bit difficult to do 'anything 'just by instinct I'd think, no rationale or thought,
But intuition works as a hint often, I'd think,
If it's a sense, something 'experienced, why not put 'some value on it, though 'maybe not all.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I don't particularly like to say I have faith in gods. I believe gods exist because I have faith in the experiences I've had that lead me to believe gods exist. I have faith in myself and in my judgment on this particular matter. Just as I would if I had faith in my judgment of another person and trusted them to act in a certain way. Because that faith is based in my personal experiences I don't expect anyone else to believe what I believe. And I don't expect anyone else to have the exact same experiences spiritually that I've had. It's probably some kind of illegitimate way to look I'm sure but that's the way I look at it. I have no idea if that's part of why I'm able to be a polytheist is I'm open to the spiritual experiences because I have faith in my own recollection and interpretation of what's going on when I engage in them. Not because I have faith in a book or faith in a text or faith in a being. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
Because that faith is based in my personal experiences I don't expect anyone else to believe what I believe. And I don't expect anyone else to have the exact same experiences spiritually that I've had.
you sound like a gnostic
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
Nope. I believe there's spiritual value in practicing established religions, engaging in ritual, reading and living by religious text. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
I believe there's spiritual value in practicing established religions, engaging in ritual, reading and living by religious text.
and i believe exactly the same thing, in fact, the more the merrier
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Poly

Spirituality is a  personal internal physiological reaction to an external stimulus.

That is to say, that spirituality is self generated.

Just as subsequent reasoning is an internal self generated process.

That is to say, that we make up fanciful reasons for why we occasionally feel spiritual.

Which is all good harmless fun.......Said the pilot just before he hit the tower.

amandragon01
amandragon01
I'd agree that faith doesn't quite work as a basis,
And even when people do make a decision, because they have faith in X,
I'd suppose there's 'reasons they have faith in X, rather than faith being the reason they have faith in X.
Then faith isn't valid as one of your chair legs is it?

Bit difficult to do 'anything 'just by instinct I'd think, no rationale or thought,
But intuition works as a hint often, I'd think,
If it's a sense, something 'experienced, why not put 'some value on it, though 'maybe not all.
Instinct is an interesting discussion in and of itself. How do you define instinct for one thing? Using the medical definition.

a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason

There are those who argue humans don't have instincts, only reflexes. I don't claim to be well versed in the subject, but I am curious how you link instinct to faith? And why that link would add any value or legitimacy to faith?

As for your talk of intuition. I still don't accept that intuition is a good basis for belief. It may sometimes lead to good conclusions, but I'd say it's far too unreliable to be trusted. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
Well, I flip flop on it being a valid chair leg or not,

Suppose I had a bad feeling, but was unable to explain why,
Would it be logical to 'act on that feeling, despite not possessing any evidence?
My action or belief that I need take an action, would be justified by a feeling without evidence,
Though I say justified 'personally, not objectively or good logic necessarily.

People 'are saved at times, by listening to their gut,
By acting on their 'faith that something was right or wrong,
Though, 'might be such cases are outliers, I couldn't say.
Certainly people often run into trouble in life, when 'only thinking with their instinct,
Still,

. . .

Well, I suppose I link instinct to faith,
By one of it's definitions,
"strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof." - Definitions from Oxford Languages

And I link instinct to guts, feelings, like Spider Senses,
Since if it's without proof,
Why does it matter any?
I suppose my answer is it feels a bit like a sense, to me,
Though as I said earlier, senses aren't always what they seem, 'if faith could be 'called a sense, or faith chosen 'due to a sense.

Again though, as someone else says,

“You don’t believe in me,” observed the Ghost.
“I don’t,” said Scrooge.
“What evidence would you have of my reality, beyond that of your senses?”
“I don’t know,” said Scrooge.
“Why do you doubt your senses?”
“Because,” said Scrooge, “a little thing affects them. A slight disorder of the stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!”
-  Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Lemming
Gut instinct is just another word for Intuition and I believe Intuition is tied into Faith very strongly.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Poly

Intuition.

Just another internal electro-chemical data handling process.
amandragon01
amandragon01
Suppose I had a bad feeling, but was unable to explain why,
Would it be logical to 'act on that feeling, despite not possessing any evidence?
My action or belief that I need take an action, would be justified by a feeling without evidence,
Though I say justified 'personally, not objectively or good logic necessarily.

Would it be justified by that feeling though? Is a feeling really a valid justification to act?

People 'are saved at times, by listening to their gut,
By acting on their 'faith that something was right or wrong,
Though, 'might be such cases are outliers, I couldn't say.
Certainly people often run into trouble in life, when 'only thinking with their instinct,
Still,
I always find these examples questionable at best. How many people listen to their guts? What percentage of them are saved by it? The fact that someone is remarking on cases of people being saved by listening to their guts, would suggest such an outcome is remarkable wouldn't it?

Well, I suppose I link instinct to faith,
By one of it's definitions,
"strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof." - Definitions from Oxford Languages

But that definition isn't remotely related to instinct.

And I link instinct to guts, feelings, like Spider Senses,
Since if it's without proof,
Why does it matter any?
I suppose my answer is it feels a bit like a sense, to me,
Though as I said earlier, senses aren't always what they seem, 'if faith could be 'called a sense, or faith chosen 'due to a sense.
Now you're conflating faith, instinct and senses?

An instinct is an unlearned (often complex) natural response. An example is that a baby kangaroo with no guidance at all will get into their mothers pouch. Newly hatched sea turtles will head for the sea. These are instincts. 

Senses are the facalties by which we perceive an external stimulus.

Faith is (dependent on context, but within context of our discussion) defined as belief without proof.

There is a connection between the senses and instinct in that instincts occur as reactions to the senses. But instinct isn't a sense, it also isn't intuition. Intuition is in no way an instinct.

By any definition I can find faith can't be described as a sense no. It also doesn't seem in any way to match the definition of an instinct. Instincts are in no way relevant to the discussion of faith. Intuition might be, but then you've done nothing to show intuition is reliable or to be trusted at all. That some people got lucky in trusting their intuition doesn't mean intuition is trustworthy.

Your quote of the Christmas Carol seems to add nothing to your argument.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
'Objectively, I'm unsure if a feeling is a justified reason, by 'itself, to act.

I agree the examples are questionable,
Still, what 'is intuition?
And are all people's intuitions equal?

Take PTSD, combat vets and their instincts,
'Might be useful in times of war,
Being careful where one sits, hypervigilant, taking cover action in response to loud bangs,
Though in times of peace with family and trying to live and enjoy life, a detriment, I'd say.

Hm wait, I might be misunderstanding the differences between instinct, intuition, and reflexes,
. . . 
Instinct is born not learned,
Intuition is unconscious thought processing,
Relex is bodily reaction like breathing.
Are the gists I get from Google.
Hm,
. . .
I'm sure instinct can be killed,
So if it can be killed, why can't it be sharpened, or even learned?
Grumble,
. . .

Well, let me say intuition, rather than instinct then,
Even if I don't know 'why something is some way,
I think it can be valuable or worthwhile to 'listen to one's intuition, feelings of a situation.

Heh, 'now just read,
"Now you're conflating faith, instinct and senses?" - #265

Yes, I suppose I am.
. . .
"a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity"
"behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level"

Some examples used,
"Our first instinct was to run."
 "He has been guided throughout his career by his political instincts."
"Mere instinct alerted her to the danger."
"He knew by instinct what not to say."
"He has a strong survival instinct."
"Your first instinct might be to use a Clorox wipe, which promises to kill 99.99 percent of household germs and bacteria."
"My first instinct has always been to wear a ponytail or a neat bun."
"Despite feeling supported by those in my residency program, my first instinct was not to fly to India to be with her as soon as possible."
"Jeong stuck with his first instinct: singer Billy Ray Cyrus."
"My instinct is there is only one, Manchin, who is actively in favor of raising taxes for the purpose of deficit reduction."
"My instinct was to unleash the entire arsenal of spices when tackling this classic dish."

And so on,
Though the 'definition is inborn, the examples often enough use the word the similar way one would use intuition or feeling.
I could say a politician acted intuitively, or had fine political sense,
And it'd be similar to 

I could say she sensed danger, or intuitively felt she was in danger,
And it matches to my mind, pretty well with,

I'd agree the words have more precise definitions though,
And that I've probably been using them a fair bit wrong.

Christmas Carol was meant as a joke, and bit just where my mind was at, also enjoyable book.

. . .

Returning to the discussion though,
I'm just not much bothered by myself or others listening to their intuition.
FLRW
FLRW

I believe there's opiate value in practicing established religions, engaging in ritual, reading and living by religious text. 
amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@Lemming
Take PTSD, combat vets and their instincts,
'Might be useful in times of war,
Being careful where one sits, hypervigilant, taking cover action in response to loud bangs,
Though in times of peace with family and trying to live and enjoy life, a detriment, I'd say.
Not an instinct. This is a learned reaction.

And so on,
Though the 'definition is inborn, the examples often enough use the word the similar way one would use intuition or feeling.
I could say a politician acted intuitively, or had fine political sense,
And it'd be similar to 

I could say she sensed danger, or intuitively felt she was in danger,
And it matches to my mind, pretty well with,
 You could, though you'd be inaccurate.

Returning to the discussion though,
I'm just not much bothered by myself or others listening to their intuition.
Actually the discussion was originally your chair leg analogy. Which hasn't seemed to stand up too well.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@amandragon01
"Writing in Scientific American, in an article cunningly titled “How an instinct is learned,” Hailman5 challenged Lorenz's fundamental notion of instinct: “The term `instinct,' as it is often applied to animal and human behavior, refers to a fairly complex, stereotyped pattern of activity that is common to the species and is inherited and unlearned. Yet, braking an automobile and swinging a baseball bat are complex, stereotyped behavioral patterns that can be observed in many members of the human species, and these patterns certainly cannot be acquired without experience. Perhaps stereotyped behavior patterns of animals also require subtle forms of experience for development” (p. 241). Hailman meticulously demonstrated the influence of such subtle forms of experience through his investigations of pecking in newly hatched sea gulls."

Eh, I 'still flip flop on the chair leg,
amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@Lemming
Yet doesn't the newly hatched seagull begin pecking without experience or instruction?