Political Correctness

Author: bronskibeat

Total: 35
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
How are you lumping in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore together? Those three nations are all different to each other (Thailand is least like the other two has a very unique culture and political landscape).
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
@RM

I bring up those particular countries only because my extensive personal experience is there, and not in NoKo, for example. However, at one time [I've not been in Singapore for 10 years] a fineable offense was spitting on a public sidewalk, or chewing gum [the don't even sell the stuff] because the stuff ends up on sidewalks everywhere else. Must always flush a toilet, even in one's home [or hotel room]. I was there once over a six-week period. A woman from Hong Kong arrived the same day I did, coincidentally. She was stopped at the airport for the discovery of 1 kilo of heroin in her luggage. I watched the news as in, within 5 weeks, she was arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and executed for her crime. Singapore is no Disneyland; they are serious about law enforcement, and they enforce it with extreme prejudice.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Everywhere isn't the same as the U.S.A. or Indonesia.

We should already know this much.

MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
-->
@RationalMadman
Lol, Singapore isn't close to NK unless you're being racist about it.
Following Blumenbach, I think I would define the south part of asia as "malays" and the north part of asia as "mongolians". I don't really care of any other distinction and certainly not national distinctions. I'm not a big fan of multi-ethnic societies.

The authoritarianism isn't in the same league at all.

For the second time, I disagree. In my understanding, NK is deeply tradition-conscious. Singapore discarded most of its traditional values since its inception. Sure, I guess NK might not be similar with singapore but it doesn't change the simple fact that they are asians with a propensity for authoritarian values.
MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
-->
@zedvictor4
Indeed. Although, I doubt most people would believe what you said. Otherwise, communication would've been less horrifying for first year expats living in Singapore. My opinion.