A CIVIL CONVERSATION - BREONNA TAYLOR

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 45
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
The case of Breonna Taylor is extremely unfortunate because the worst possible situation happened to both sides. It is clear that Breonna's boyfriend did shoot at the police officers and the police shot back in self defense. There was a warrant for the mans arrest so they could enter the home. It is unfortunate that Breonna was the victim of a tragedy that happened to her. It's a tragic event that happened because both sides claimed self defense. The man thought it was an intruder and the police thought he was firing at them. I think the court made the decision that made the most sense.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Intelligence_06
You are making a straw man argument by not making any valid points. The case clearly showed this wasn't white supremacy. Stop using straw man argument to hide the truth of the Breonna Taylor case
Vader
Vader
I think the Patriot Act is a terrible act that needs to be repealled. The people of America are subject to their freedoms when they feel so. This GWB shit law just adds to his hatred. I believe we need to act to remove this law. This violates the whole of the constitution

Vader
Vader
Or at least reform the act itself. The act shouldn't apply to local cops but to SWAT team members
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Vader
There was a warrant for the mans arrest so they could enter the home.
THE MAN (Jamarcus Glover) was arrested 10 miles away within minutes of the shooting.

The police were conducting simultaneous raids on multiple homes at 12:40am.

There were NO criminal suspects and there was NO contraband at Breonna Taylor's apartment.

The irony here is that Taylor was not deemed threatening enough to merit a SWAT team. Instead, she was subjected to all of the most dangerous aspects of a SWAT raid, undertaken by officers in street clothes. There were no medics nearby. In fact, an ambulance on standby was told to leave the scene an hour before the raid. After she was shot, Taylor lie in her house for 20 minutes before receiving any medical attention. [LINK]
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
without getting too far into the weeds, why couldn't they use flash/bang, smoke, tear gas grenades in these type of instances?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The police can use "flash/bang, smoke, tear gas grenades".

And that might have prevented the death in this particular case.

HOWeVeR, the real "problem" here is that we shouldn't have POLICE breaking into INNOCENT people's homes in the middle of the night (or any other time for that matter).

For example (in 2 minutes and 28 seconds),
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Vader
Or at least reform the act itself. The act shouldn't apply to local cops but to SWAT team members
SWAT teams ARE LOCAL COPS.

For example (in 2 minutes and 28 seconds),

More detail in 17 minutes and 18 seconds,
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
the real "problem" here is that we shouldn't have POLICE breaking into INNOCENT people's homes in the middle of the night (or any other time for that matter).

absolutely, rarely should that ever happen, some kind of hostage or suicide situation MIGHT be appropriate for them having to enter in such a manner.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
absolutely, rarely should that ever happen, some kind of hostage or suicide situation MIGHT be appropriate for them having to enter in such a manner.
Why should a SWAT team break into someone's house to "prevent" a suicide?

17 days later

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot

Listen to 4 lawyers talk about it. If you have the patience.
Well right off the bat the black lawyer starts saying Breonna Taylor's apartment was a stash house. There is zero evidence of that. He says there is surveillance of cars going to her house, picking up drugs and then going back to the trap houses. That is  wrong.  Cops have video surveillance of her and the ex bf driving somewhere together - there is no proof at all whatsoever of drug deliveries.

In order to get the warrant police said they surveilled her ex boyfriend leaving her house with a "suspected USPS package in his right hand." The bf said it was clothes and shoes, and the Louisville Postal Inspector looked into it. He  said his office found no sign of suspicious mail going to Taylor’s apartment. 

The police surveilled the ex bf going to her apartment in January and as a result suspected she had drugs and money there. They did not find any. There is no evidence that substantiates the claim that Taylor was handling drugs or money for anyone. 

Nate The Lawyer references Breonna telling her ex on the recorded jail call that his drug buddy was "back at the trap" house, but of course that proves positively nothing about her involvement in drug activity. She dated this guy on and off for two years - obviously she knows he's a drug dealer. 

I wanted to have the patience to watch this, but if they're just gonna share half truths and falsehoods, meh. Appealing to a lawyer's authority only has so much utility for me. First of all my wife is a brilliant attorney so I prefer her takes to most, and secondly I know lawyers are not always right all the time and that's why we argue so much (jk, we argue for the make-up pillow fights). 

Seriously though I think they make some good points (from the few minutes I watched) about not necessarily convicting the cops who acted on the warrant - it wasn't their fault the warrant was trash. That's the city's fault; it's the department's fault and others should be held accountable -- not just the tax payers who have to pay 12 million dollars to the family because law enforcement failed to do their job properly. I'm tired of tax payers footing the bill for this shit. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
Well right off the bat the black lawyer starts saying Breonna Taylor's apartment was a stash house. There is zero evidence of that. He says there is surveillance of cars going to her house, picking up drugs and then going back to the trap houses. That is  wrong.  Cops have video surveillance of her and the ex bf driving somewhere together - there is no proof at all whatsoever of drug deliveries.
100% THIS.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
That's the city's fault; it's the department's fault and others should be held accountable -- not just the tax payers who have to pay 12 million dollars to the family because law enforcement failed to do their job properly. I'm tired of tax payers footing the bill for this shit. 
Well stated.
Danielle
Danielle
That was me thumbs-upping  your comments, 3RU7AL.  

The irony of self-righteous lawyers pontificating to laymen about how THE MEDIA IS LYING TO YOU in a video where they are actually the ones spreading lies is too much lolol. What's extremely troubling is that most people aren't bright enough to see how this entire conversation was predicated on the misrepresentation of it being an "honest and fair assessment" when it was anything but, at least not the beginning part that I watched. 

First off the title of the video itself is poisoning the well. It immediately tells the viewer that the MSM's perspective (Breonna Taylor deserves justice) is wrong, which already presents a biased view to the person watching thus it is inherently fallacious.  Secondly Nate kicks off the conversation by assuring the audience that he's looked into the merits of the case. He comments "Oh you know me - I like to look into everything; I look into the warrants and all that stuff" to provide a false sense of security to the viewer that oh yeah he's a lawyer, he must know what he's talking about, he's "looked into" the warrants and therefore what he says must be true... please.

Everything he claimed about Breonna Taylor was unsubstantiated and disproven in court, so the fact that he felt confident enough to speak so self-assuredly on the "facts" of this case as an attorney is very troubling. All he did was give the background of what the warrants were for, when the entire point of holding law enforcement accountable is that the information they gave to get the warrants was wrong. The lawyers seemed to discuss this a little before I stopped watching when they acknowledged there must have been issues with the warrants, which they remarked is why Louisville settled the case the way they did for the amount they did. But that means they knew everything Nate said about the justification for going into Breonna Taylor's house was false, and the fact that no one called him out on it means these people have lost all credibility insofar as being fair and forthright.  

Btw this is why I tend to brush off people who lament the dishonesty of the media (even though the media is problematic af). These people tend to  prefer  sources like YouTube as if social media isn't media. Meanwhile every source has the capacity to be wrong, regardless of how well intentioned it is.   I agree that's a problem with the MSM but it's also a problem with the "we'ere here to fact check the media!" crowd generally, which this video encapsulates for me perfectly. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL

those 2 things are completely unrelated. Surely you know that.