-->
@janesix
tis complicated
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
It's the one that comes after tablet 6, and before tablet 8.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
The entirety of human behavior throughout history can be explained by cause and effect. Cause and effect is decidedly not chaos.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
Yep...And cause and effect imply purpose rather than randomness.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix
So what is tablet 7?

For the best part and among other things it is an explanation to a son (Marduk) from a father (Ea Enki) who is explaining what the sky looked like when they (Anannage,  the Shining Ones) -  the biblical Anakim "first  came down" and the beginning of "celestial time" and when and how they had mapped and divided the skies into "stations" or what we call houses of approximately 2160 years per house, although some houses do overlap.

It can be a complicated affair  when studied only casually but the gist simply put is that each house had/has a ruler  or a lord . The ruler of the house  at the top of the hour  (lets call it the Bull) that appears as a backdrop to the sun on a spring equinox was lord of lords over the other elven houses. Then,  with the passing of the 2160 year  cycle, the celestial clock would now be the Ram and the new lord of lords,  and the Bull would go to the back of the que. As I mentioned it has been shown many times that the out going house doesn't  relinquish power and control without a fight. 

Depending on your interest, here's is a decent book that is well worth a read.

This too is an uncomplicated  read, not to mention interesting and it also  covers the naming of the "stations" and the 2160 cycle.:

E. A. Wallis Budge's classic work, Babylonian Life and History is another you may want to ponder. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4
Cause and effect requires no purpose only one event causing another.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
This isn't a cause and effect universe. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@Stephen
I searched for tablet 7 and couldn't find it.

I do know about the precession,the houses, the ages.

I don't know that the sumerians knew anything about it.
janesix
janesix
-->
@zedvictor4
If I wasnt a humorless ice queen I might think that was funny.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
This isn't a cause and effect universe. 
While it is possible that it is not a cause and effect universe it certainly appears to be one and if it is not then we really can't make knowledge claims based on deductive or inductive reasoning anyway so I'm not sure what is to be gained by taking that to be axiomatic. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
What is to be gained is we might eventually figure out how the world really works.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
What is to be gained is we might eventually figure out how the world really works.
If we were to suddenly figure that put I seriously doubt it would be achieved by abandoning deductive and inductive reasoning. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
I know you believe that. That is reasonable. 

The world isn't reasonable.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
In as much as the universe does not display the ability to reason I suppose I agree as far as it goes. Reason is still the best tool at our disposal.
janesix
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
Perhaps. 

A decade ago I would have agreed without hesitation.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
If you have a better tool I would love to know about it.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
Nope.... I said cause and effect implies purpose, rather than requires purpose.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4
Only conscious agents able to communicate in some way imply anything. Either a conclusion is supportable given the evidence or it is not. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
To know ones state of mind is to pretend.

Though to forget that one is pretending is to lose ones mind.

Tablet 7, must be between tablet 6 and tablet 8.  Otherwise it is just the tablet.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
That's a biased opinion.

Oxford dictionaries:  An occurrence can suggest a logical consequence.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix
I don't know that the sumerians knew anything about it.
Well they were able to write and keep meticulous records. 

I do know about the precession,the houses, the ages.

Good , then you have a decent head start and maybe will come to realize the significance of all the astronomical references in the NT that surround the Christ  that many Christians  do not understand the significance of.  Such as when the wise men/magi said:  "“Where is He who has been born King of the Jews [not christians]? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.Matthew 2:2” They knew exactly what they were talking about, so did the one they were speaking to. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4

I have to conclude that we are having issues with the bible also conflating of terms. A logical consequence and a conscious actor are not necessarily the same thing.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Stephen

They might have known, probably did. I did some research on this very topic a couple of years ago, and couldn't find anything relating to the Sumerians knowing about the precession. But that doesn't really mean anything. I haven't read all the texts, don't have enough information. So I am taking back what I said earlier.

Good , then you have a decent head start and maybe will come to realize the significance of all the astronomical references in the NT that surround the Christ  that many Christians  do not understand the significance of.  Such as when the wise men/magi said:  "“Where is He who has been born King of the Jews [not christians]? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.Matthew 2:2” They knew exactly what they were talking about, so did the one they were speaking to. 
What is the star? The only "star in the East" I know of is sirius.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix

They might have known, probably did. I did some research on this very topic a couple of years ago, and couldn't find anything relating to the Sumerians knowing about the precession. But that doesn't really mean anything. I haven't read all the texts, don't have enough information. So I am taking back what I said earlier.

The Sumerians had hundreds of  what  those  historians that study the ancients and archaeologist call " firsts ".  In fact I found it interesting that one archaeologists ( name escapes me) remarked that with all the "sudden"  firsts that sprang up in  Mesopotamia and Summer in particular,  " it was as if  their civilisation had simply dropped from the sky all at once". Which it probably did if we are to believe the Sumerian accounts of the their lords "coming down" and the "first" civilisation.

So I am taking back what I said earlier.

Which was what?

“Where is He who has been born King of the Jews [not Christians]? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.Matthew 2:2” They knew exactly what they were talking about, so did the one they were speaking to. 
What is the star? The only "star in the East" I know of is sirius.

Well when it is researched deeper we see that this "star" was also referred to as  star  sign rising. -  accompanied by a shooting star : a comet  and  referred to by many these days as the  "Star of Bethlehem" (its debatable if there was even such a place of that name at the time). We understand comets to be - colloquially,  shooting  or falling stars.  These  NT"wise men/ Magi" are thought to have been astronomers from the East and also say in various bible;

"we  seen his star rising"
https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Matthew%202%3A2 and they couldn't have "followed" a star that appears static in the night sky.

What ever way we approach this. There can be no doubt that  sky was important enough (if not crucial) in determining who's time it was to rule. This is a tradition- indeed a law-  the goes back thousands of years before Jesus and right back to when "kingship was handed down" according the the Sumerians.

And in case you were wondering, I am not a religious person by any means of the word. 

(A) Ask yourself this.  Why, in this day and age, why would my own Queen of England (who also happens to be the head of the Church of England) have her own observatory and Her own astronomer and astrologer?

(B) And why, in this day and age would the Vatican have the same. Indeed, the Vatican have observatories and telescopes in many places around the world. They spend millions of their poor parishioners donations on observing the sky. Why! What are they doing peering into gods living room?
I think you now know the answer to both A & B above. don't you?

If you don't, maybe the Catholics here , indeed any Christian,  can explain for us why their respective churches like to spend the hard earned donations of their flock on such toys, when the millions donated should be  given to "the poor"? 

Vatican Observatory Research Group (VORG),
I believe this is the Vatican's most recent development