Author: Stephen

Total: 34
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Stephen, 

It’s taken me a while to get back to you on this subject. 

You asked me if John spoke of his own baptism. I suggested that i did not speak of such a thing. You then produced a reference from me as you gottcha moment. 

Yet when I read my reference I still do not see where I have mentioned John getting baptised.  In that passage you reference I am clearly referring to the type of baptism John performs. His is of water whereas Jesus baptised with the Spirit. John’s baptism is defective. 

I don’t know if John was baptised by someone else. And I certainly doubt he was an Essene. There is no reason to think he was ever part of that movement. The Essenes practised submersion. John practiced aspersion in accordance with Hebrew Levitic custom. 

John would have been opposed to the Essenes in the same way he was opposed to the Pharisees and the Sadducees. All religious groups had missed the the point of the coming messiah. 
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

It’s taken me a while to get back to you on this subject. 

It is not unusual for the lonely to resurrect old threads of mine when they need attention. Ethang5 used to do it often and usually after a long absence. Just like you!  

So you will have to quote me as to what you are referencing and alleging what I have said.

So, when you are ready, of  you go.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Easy just go back to your last post prior to my recent one. I am sure even you are capable of that. Of course if you need help just call. 

418 days later

Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Stephen
It is not known who gave John the authority to perform this baptismal rite of washing away sins and it seems no one else knew either except for maybe Jesus, and he wasn't saying ?
Holding the Aaronic priesthood meant John had the keys to preach repentance and baptize for the remission of sins. Jesus recognized John as having the authority to baptize, and when the Savior began his ministry, he came to John to have that ordinance performed.

Aaronic Priesthood is mentioned in the Bible.

What the Bible says about Aaronic Priesthood
(From Forerunner Commentary)

Exodus 29:10

The Aaronic priests were purified for service to God through the transferal of their sins to a bull. Similarly, when an Israelite presented a peace or a sin offering, he laid his hands upon the animal being offered, identifying himself with it and transferring his guilt to the animal. Thus, the animal was set apart by God through the laying on of hands.

Martin G. Collins
Basic Doctrines: The Laying On of Hands