Morality - Is Atheism More Reasonable than Theism?

Author: PGA2.0

Total: 1,638
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
It doesn't and as soon as you lose or deny the 'best' that you compare morals against (as necessary) you have disagreements that contradict each other.
The decalogue doesn't resolve these disagreements.
Sure it does. An omniscient, unchanging, eternal, objective being who has revealed most certainly does.
Why do some Christians believe it's ok to divorce your husband and others believe divorce is adultery?
There are reasons given in which divorce is permissible. That is for marital unfaithfulness.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
What is good is so whether you believe so or not.
So, after all that.

We're back to "I'm right and you're wrong"?
No, you do not understand. If something is morally good or right it cannot at the same time be morally bad and wrong. There has to be a standard for goodness, something that is best (the ideal) to compare it against as to its merits or lack of. Show me what you believe has what is necessary for morality.  

What you are suggesting once again with your comment is moral relativism which can never be lived, only thought. You can't live it. As soon as the standard it turned on you is when you will find that out.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
How can you distinguish what is better without this best?  
Quite easily.

Start at the "worst" and take it one step at a time.
Worst in comparison to what?
What's the worst personal injustice that you've experienced or witnessed?
I won't explain my personal experience, but what I witness through evidence. The worst, IMO, is abortion. It is a great, great injustice, the worst in human history to date. 

Try not to do that.
I won't. I will defend the unborn!
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
So, if the law changed, then it can't be described as universal and unchanging (objective) can it?
(IFF) the law explained BEFOREHAND what changes would happen after the "sacrificial lamb" arrived (THEN) you could say "the law remained unchanged"

However, as far as I can tell, Jesus made apparently ad hoc modifications on the fly.
Being the God/Man and being led in His human capacity by the Holy Spirit, He further explained what it meant to murder or commit adultery. I was not just a physical thing, but spiritual, and it began when we harboured ill intent in our hearts and minds. So He explained the law in more detail.   
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
There has to be a standard for goodness, something that is best (the ideal) to compare it against as to its merits or lack of.
Is your standard of "goodness" the "ten commandments"?

Or is your standard of "goodness" "love thy neighbor"?

Or is your standard of "goodness" "let Jesus guide your heart"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
There are reasons given in which divorce is permissible. That is for marital unfaithfulness.
Right, but REMARRIAGE IS VERBOTEN!
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
How do you plan on avoiding Naraka?
He/she/it does not exist. He/she/it is a false god. Sorry to break your bubble. Sorry, I am not trying to skirt the issue by being politically correct. Not all ideas about God are sound. 
Now you know how I feel when someone tells me I'm going to "hell".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
So, the covenant changed, not the Law.
Hairsplitting.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
So you (also you) must show (also show) on such issues that what you believe is the objective truth.

If you are unable to produce a coherent definition of "objective" then your naked opinion is laid bare.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Conway
I've never heard a Christian testify that one is saved by a coherent logical sequence through reason.
You can find some very interesting variations from time to time.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
That man, now knowing both good and evil, passed his views onto humanity. His thinking without God influences his children with evil.
So, does this mean the children of True Christians are born without sin?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
What is the actual right? You can't produce one. All you can say is "I like this [old book] view."

You have an OPINION that "the bible" is "objective".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
You can't live with such a standard because as soon as the tables are turned on you and you are the victim your position changes and you realize these things are morally reprehensible and wrong. Then you no longer endorse moral relativism.  
When the "community" turns against you, that is EXACTLY when you endorse moral relativism.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
A dog is a dog. A dog cannot be a non-dog.
What one person calls a "dog" might be a "catellus" to someone else.

You're confusing ONTOLOGY with "objective reality".

If one person measures in inches and the other measures in centimeters, which one is more "objective"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
We are to drive out sinful practices or deeds from our lives so that they do not rule over us so we can have a close relationship with God.
Sounds good.

So you have absolutely no concern about what consenting adults do with and or to each other in the privacy of their own homes?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Do subjective standards meet what is necessary? If you think so, explain how. 
Each individual is the arbiter of their own moral instinct.
Then I say what is say is morally wrong!
Yes.  For you and those you are responsible for.

You never explain why your relative standard is or can be better than anyone else's?
You never explain why your "objective" standard is or can be better than anyone else's?

Is it because you believe it?
Is it "objective" because you believe it?

Does that make something good?
Does your OPINION that it is "objective" make something good?

Then two opposing and contrary standards (a logical absurdity) can both be right depending upon who holds what view?
(IFF) you have a son, and you call this son "son" (THEN) should everyone on earth call your son "son"?

Is one language "objectively wrong" and another language "objectively right"?

Without a fixed identity for a moral prescription, what makes it good/right?
The exact same thing that makes your moral prescription good/right (4 U).

Your moral instinct.

Is it force? If you force me to believe 'it' does that make it good/right?
Good luck trying to force someone to believe something.

That's not how belief works.

If Kim Jong Un kidnaps you and forces you..., is that then good/right? He believes so. Why is your belief any 'better' than his? 
Because it's mine.

I am the ultimate authority over my own body and mind.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
You used your own reasoning and moral instinct to VALIDATE "the gospel message".
You have to believe that God exists before you will come to Him.
You can only believe if you are CONVINCED.

You and you alone VALIDATE "the gospel message".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Did morality exist before Abraham?
Yes.
Great.

So, we don't need all this special literature in order to be moral.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Why can't Christians agree?
First off, do you believe truth is discernable? 

The problem is that way too often we collapse passages, ignore context, ignore the relevant audience of address, ignore time statements, misunderstand the difference between biblical culture and our own, and a whole host of reasons. Having said that, Scripture makes it clear there is a correct way i=of interpreting God's word. You have to understand what the Author is saying to get His meaning. That means not reading into His words something He has not said or does not convey. You also have to build line upon line, precept upon precept. An isolated passage can very often lead to a pretext.
If all Christians are reading the same book and speaking to the same "YHWH" shouldn't they all come to exactly the same "objective" conclusions?

Are all Christians who disagree with you less moral and or less intelligent than you?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@BrotherDThomas
And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children. (Hosea 9:11-16)
I'll just save this for later...
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
What practical value is an abstract "truth" if nobody knows what it is?
Why do you think no one knows and how do you know that?

God is able to say what He means. 
(IFF) "the ("objective") truth" is so crystal clear (THEN) why are there literally thousands of flavors of Christianity?

(IFF) theological variation is so slight & unsubstantial (THEN) why did competing denominations historically slaughter each other?

Why can't the Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Unitarians, Eastern Orthodox, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, Calvinists, Seventh-day Adventists, Mormons, Jehova's witnesses, Anabaptists, Hussites, Quakers, Pentecostals, Messianic Jews set aside their slight & unsubstantial differences of opinion and UNITE under one cohesive and "objective" truth?

Even iff someone was actually convinced that there was an "objective" moral code, which flavor of Christianity holds the "one true and perfect interpretation"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
P.S. Magnetic north isn't a fixed reference point - it moves. 
True north or the North Pole is.
Does your compass point to "true north"?

No.  It points to magnetic north.

Does magnetic north change by hundreds if not thousands of miles without warning?

Yes.  Yes it does.

Does this mean that your compass is unreliable & utterly useless?

No.  Of course not.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0

I have denied from the start that biblical slavery is the same as chattel slavery.
Yea, well, you're just wrong, and you squash your own denial when you argue for forced slavery for the purpose of conversion. I mean, seriously, if it's forced it can't be indentured servitude. 
No, you're mistaken. You are comparing the 19th-century chattel slavery to biblical slavery that God condones. [...] 
chattel slavery:
the enslaving and owning of human beings and their offspring as property, able to be bought, sold, and forced to work without wages, as distinguished from other systems of forced, unpaid, or low-wage labor also considered to be slavery.  [Link]

OT slavery allowed non-Hebrews and women to be bought, sold, and forced to perform services without wages (beating was acceptable). This is stated plainly in the Bible and no amount of bad apologetics changes or mitigates this.  

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
How does your personal opinion and preference make something right if you have no objective unchanging/fixed source or reference point?
How can you go north, east, west or south without an unchanging/fixed source or reference point?
You are inferring and projecting again. 
That is not an answer.

P.S. Magnetic north isn't a fixed reference point - it moves. 
True north or the North Pole is.

A compass doesn't point to "True North"...it points to the magnetic north pole which is not a fixed reference point.  Yet, in spite of not being fixed, magnetic north makes a great reference point by which to navigate our world.  The point being, a fixed reference point is an unnecessary requirement for navigation through space ...or morality. 

P.S.S. Human interpretation of the 'will of God' isn't a fixed reference point either and can be used to support atrocities and oppose equality. (Holocaust, apartheid, Transatlantic slave trade)
The Holocaust, Apartheid, transatlantic slavery are not biblical or OT slavery but a misinterpretation. 
Says you.  I'm sure the folks who believed they were justified in committing these atrocities would argue a correct interpretation on the same grounding you deny it.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
If your argument is that morality cannot be justified without belief in the Christian god, then the fact that most people don't have that belief and act perfectly moral is a defeator (not an argument from popularity). It counters the assertion that belief in the Christian god is needed for morality.
First off, they don't live perfectly moral.
Agreed - poor choice of words. Non-Christians live just as morally as Christians.
Second, how do they arrive at the 'best' if morality has no fixed address, no fixed reference point? It is a constantly shifting standard that points to 'better' but better than what?

While atheists can and sometimes do live more morally than many Christians do, from where their worldview starts (their most basic presuppositions), there is no reason they should. Thus, they are inconsistent with their beginning presuppositions (blind, indifferent chance happenstance and meaninglessness). In the 20th-century atheists (consistent with the origin of chance happenstance and meaninglessness) demonstrated just how self-serving and immoral they were in the vast killings of those who did not agree with their philosophy.

They sometimes act better than believers and act 'morally' despite not being able to justify why they should. What they do is borrow from another worldview in living life contrary and inconsistently within the bounds of their own worldview system
You attribute humanism to your god and then say non-Christians borrow from your worldview, but this is demonstrably flawed. 
No, I don't attribute humanism to my God. I attribute it to a rejection of God, a lack of belief or trust in God by relying on humanity (relativism) rather than God.   

Morality is about the well-being of humans,
Whose well-being?

Look around you. In most nations throughout history, what you find is the 'elite' gearing society to benefit themselves and exploit those under them. The same thing is happening now with the Democrats in your country. Don't tell me they are looking out for your well-being. These people are devious and bent on POWER. They lie, manipulate data, use the mediate, academia, Holywood/Arts and Entertainment, the judicial system, the economy, healthcare, religion, evolution, science, and politics to snow job the masses.

and humans were concerned about what actions and attitudes ensured their survival long before Christianity came to be.
To benefit themselves and ensure their own survival at the expense of others.

Christianity is different; it looks out not only for self but also for everyone, denying oneself for others' benefit. 

Christian morality is made better by humanistic interests, but the relationship is not symbiotic - Christianity is parasitic to humanism (most especially in regards to fundamentalism).
I'm not following your thinking here. How can it be better when the standard keeps shifting. I could give you numerous examples of these changing standards. I will keep it at abortion, so we don't get into too many tangents. Not long ago, the standard was that abortion was wrong, except in very limited cases such as a tubal pregnancy where both the woman and unborn would die if the unborn were not aborted. So, it saved at least one.

Now, a woman can get an abortion for almost any reason.  

Where "god's will" and humanism conflict, the former is always given dominance by the dogmatist.  Case in point: attempted justification of Biblical slavery because "God".
Again, biblical slavery (and I speak of the OT law case, not what Israel experienced in Egypt) was granted by God for poverty or debt payment. In foreign slavery, it was for two reasons, reparations for war damages or because of poverty, thus a rescue. With either of these two foreign cases, if the slave converted to Judaism, the slave would be free after seven years. If the slave was mistreated, forbidden by God, or beaten for just reasons, the slave could flee to another area and be granted freedom. Thus slavery was more like an employer/employee situation in which both parties benefited from the other. With foreign slavery, it was a contract for life unless one of the two conditions was met. 'Property' did not hold the same definition to Israel that we think of it today, or as experienced in Eygpt, as I pointed out to you before.   

And most through human history have believed in God or gods.
...an actual argument from popularity. 
It is just a fact. 
Ok, it's just a fact most people are non-Christians (and are just as moral as Christians). 
Because they adopt the Judeo-Christian standard - it is wrong to murder, wrong to steal, wrong to lie, wrong to covet, wrong to commit adultery. 

No, I have stated that I only stand for and defend the biblical God. I believe all others are fake.
Ah, so your fact above is irrelevant to your point? 
No. Other gods are fake. I allude to morality is a mind thing and requires a necessary being that does not base morality on subjectivity but knows everything. While you could argue such a definition could be said of God or gods, I will argue against those other gods. But I did not want to get into a tangent until someone brings up a specific god other than the biblical God. 

If not, then this fact couldn't help you even if it weren't logically fallacious.
What is fallacious about the biblical God? 
You've lost the context. Argument from popularity was the context ("Most people through human history have believed in God or gods").
I.e., That means they think morality owes its existence to a personal being or beings, not blind, indifferent chance happenstance. They think there is a being or beings greater than themselves responsible for the universe and their being. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
I have always stated there is a correct interpretation of Scripture, and I point to the Scriptures as the final standard in arguing disputes. I have reasoned that the type of slavery you are suggesting as being practiced by Israel is a misinterpretation based on several arguments, one of which is God's warning not to do what was done to them in Egypt and two, the principle of loving your neighbour. I had also argued that the 'slave' was not to be treated harshly, even when punishment was required. The slave was given the same treatment that a Hebrew was in punishment. If the slave was injured in a prescribed way, they were granted freedom. The foreign slave could be acquired in two ways, through war (thus restitution) or purchasing. 

You have actually argued for slavery in the name of god ...today...so ..yea, you have no room to talk. Besides, this undermines the assertion that belief in the Christian god justifies morality.
I have given sufficient reason for biblical slavery. You do not accept it, but the argument is logical. I have asked how a God who promotes love for our neighbours could also promote mistreatment of them? Again, you misread God's intent by not understanding the ANE or Scripture. 
There is no such thing as "sufficient reason for slavery". You cherry pick verses and compartmentalize arguments so as to avoid the obvious broader conclusion that the Bible (and the god of the Bible) condone forced servitude, sexual slavery, and the severe mistreatment of chattel slaves.
No, you ignore the greater context of Scripture in which God specifically warned Israel not to treat foreigners or others as they had been treated in Eygpt. Not only this, God taught both Israel and us to treat others with dignity and respect in the many examples provided in Scripture. The type of slavery you attribute to chattel slavery is not the same kind that God granted due to poverty, debt, or war reparations. What is more, I recorded some of those passages, and you passed over them. Now you are sneaking the topic back into the conversation. 

'Neighbor' in the OT wasn't referring to the guy that lived next door, but those (men) who shared beliefs - 'neighbors' were Hebrews.
Jesus, who taught on the OT (and He should know being God incarnate), spoke of the Good Samaritan as looking after a man on the road. He explained who the neighbour was, and it was not just the immediate neighbour but included all people. 

With this understanding, one can love their neighbors while beating their (non-Hebrew) slave just short of death, sell their daughters as sexual concubines, take virgins as the spoils of war, etc., and there be no conflict in the law. You attempt to advance the golden rule AND argue for things which no one would want for themselves.  It is you who does not understand your own Bible.
And behold, a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” ...

Luke 10:29-31 (NASB)
29 But wanting to justify himself, he said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
The Good Samaritan
30 Jesus replied and said, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he encountered robbers, and they stripped him and [a]beat him, and went away leaving him half dead. 31 And by coincidence a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

No, Hitler's antisemitism was not rooted in Christian theology.
It may not be part of *your* Christian theology, but Hitler's hatred of the Jew was rooted in *his* interpretation of Christian theology - a.k.a. the will of god.
What did Hitler ever do for Christianity but misinterpret its tenants? Love became hate. The Jew became the scapegoat for Germany's woes. Hitler used his ideas of the Ayran race as an excuse to eliminate undesirables. He singled out many other groups, such as the gypsies, gays, and political opponents.

Apartheid read into Scripture because they ignored the audience of the address. 

The South's view on slavery was one that God explicitly warned His people (Israel) against under the Old Covenant. God made the Old Covenant obsolete in AD 70.  
It is so ironic you are arguing against the interpretation of god's will by others because you (apparently) have correctly interpreted the will of god. I think the point may be lost on you.
Rubbish. Abraham Lincoln understood what it meant to love your neighbour and demonstrated it during the Lincoln Douglas debate in which he showed his biblical understanding

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, "Letter To Henry L. Pierce and Others" (April 6, 1858), p. 376.

"Slavery is founded in the selfishness of man's nature - opposition to it is his love of justice. These principles are an eternal antagonism; and when brought into collision so fiercely, as slavery extension brings them, shocks, and throes, and convulsions must ceaselessly follow." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Speech at Peoria, Illinois" (October 16, 1854), p. 271.

"I believe the declara[tion] that 'all men are created equal' is the great fundamental principle upon which our free institutions rest; that negro slavery is violative of that principle; but that, by our frame of government, that principle has not been made one of legal obligation; that by our frame of government, the States which have slavery are to retain it or surrender it at their own pleasure; and that all others---individuals, free-states and national government---are constitutionally bound to leave them alone about it. I believe our government was thus framed because of the necessity springing from the actual presence of slavery when it was framed. That such necessity does not exist in the teritories[sic], where slavery is not present." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, "Letter to James N. Brown" (October 18, 1858), p. 327.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne

Even the current resistance to abortion is a manipulation of Christian theology to affect political gain. 
How is that? 
So glad you asked.  There is nothing in the Bible that directly disallows abortion. 
The warning, 'do not shed innocent blood' cover the unborn of which God considers alive and persons. 

So innocent blood will not be shed in the midst of your land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, and guilt for bloodshed will not be on you.

Proverbs 6:16-18 (NASB)
16 There are six things that the Lord hates,
Seven that are an abomination [a]to Him:
17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,

Since they have abandoned Me and have made this place foreign, and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and since they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent

This is what the Lord says: “Do justice and righteousness, and save one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. And do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.” But they said, “What is that to us? You shall see to it yourself!”

In fact, there are many instances of the Biblical god committing or condoning the destruction of fetuses and infants (Isaiah 13:18
God is describing or prophesying what will happen. He will remove His hand of protection on Israel because of their sin, and the Medes will shed innocent blood. Notice the GREATER context and pay attention to the pronouns of verse 18:

17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.

And here is the verse you supplied, which is the next verse:

18 Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children.

Who does 'their' and 'they' refer to?

Hosea 9:10-16 (NASB)
10 I found Israel like grapes in the wilderness;
I saw your forefathers as the earliest fruit on the fig tree in its first season.
But they came to Baal-peor and devoted themselves to [a]shame,
And they became as detestable as that which they loved.
11 As for Ephraim, their glory will fly away like a bird—
No birth, no pregnancy, and no conception!
12 Though they bring up their children,
Yet I will bereave them of their children [b]until not a person is left.
Yes, woe to them indeed when I depart from them!
13 Ephraim, as I have seen,
Is planted in a pasture like Tyre;
But Ephraim is going to bring out his children for slaughter.
14 Give to them, Lord—what will You give?
Give them a miscarrying womb and dried-up breasts.
15 All their evil is at Gilgal;
Indeed, I came to hate them there!
Because of the wickedness of their deeds
I will drive them out of My house!
I will no longer love them;
All their leaders are rebels.
16 Ephraim is stricken, their root is dried up,
They will produce no fruit.
Even though they give birth to children,
I will put to death the precious ones of their womb.

Again, God is the giver and taker of life. If he takes an innocent life, He will restore it to a better place, with Him in glory. 

The precious ones of their womb. God sees the unborn as precious. They are not yet capable of practicing sin so they are innocent of that charge. But why is this judgment happening? It is because Israel has not kept their promise to God, the promise they made in ratifying the covenant. Thus, God is being faithful to His word, He is bringing judgment on them by withdrawing His hand of protection and allowing foreign nations mastery over them, per Deuteronomy 28

Hosea 9:1, 6-7, 9, 17
1 Do not rejoice, Israel, [a]with jubilation like the [b]nations!
For you have been unfaithful, [c]abandoning your God.
6 You have loved the earnings of unfaithfulness on [d]every threshing floor.
For behold, they will be gone because of destruction;
Egypt will gather them together, Memphis will bury them.
Weeds will take possession of their treasures of silver;
Thorns will be in their tents.
The days of punishment have come,
The days of retribution have come;
[i]Let Israel know this!
The prophet is a fool,
The [j]inspired person is insane,
Because of the grossness of your wrongdoing,
And because your [k]hostility is so great.
They are deeply depraved
As in the days of Gibeah;
He will remember their guilt,
He will punish their sins.
17 My God will reject them
Because they have not listened to Him;
And they will be wanderers among the nations.

God is a just God. He will punish sin in His time. Israel, once they had heaped up their sins to the limit, would suffer the consequences. When they abandoned God He let them experience the consequences of disobedience, as promised in Deuteronomy 28. How does God punish His people? By removing His hand of protection and allowing foreign nations to conquer and subdue them, nations like Assyria, Eygpt, Babylon, and the Romans.

Hosea 10:1-4 (NASB)
Retribution for Israel’s Sin
10 Israel is a luxuriant vine;
He produces fruit for himself.
The more his fruit,
The more altars he made;
The [a]richer his land,
The better [b]he made the memorial stones.
Their heart is [c]deceitful;
Now they must suffer for their guilt.
[d]The Lord will break down their altars
And destroy their memorial stones.
3 Certainly now they will say, “We have no king,
For we do not revere the Lord.
As for the king, what can he do for us?”
4 They speak mere words,
[e]With worthless oaths they make covenants;
And judgment sprouts like poisonous weeds in the furrows of the field.

Over and over, God sends prophets and teachers to warn them to return to Him, but they will not listen. So, He gives them the consequences of their sin.

Hosea 13:!62 Kings 8:12).  A prescribed process to cause fetuses to be aborted as proof of adultery (Numbers 5:11-31). Life begins with "the breath of life" ie. birth (Gen 2:7). Fetuses are not persons (Ex 21:22-25). And yes, I know an indirect argument against abortion can be extricated from the Bible as well, but this can hardly stand against an explicitly pro-abortion god.
How is it indirect, because they are not mentioned specifically? Are not the unborn human beings? Did not God tell Israel not to take innocent blood? That includes the blood of the unborn. I argue the unborn are not intentionally being aborted in these descriptions but die as a result of the woman's sin because the woman dies. The women are being slaughtered due to their sin, which affects the unborn. Innocent people are always affected by sin. When we sin, others felt the consequences.  

Furthermore, politician's views on abortion did not break down along party lines until the 1970's.  It was Richard Nixon that first pushed a pro-abortion stance, but reversed his position specifically to attract Catholics and conservatives. Seeing his success, Republicans strategists began using an anti-abortion position to form alliances with evangelical groups and social conservatives. It was all about using an interpretation of "God's will' to attract more voters and political power. 
It was during the 1970s that abortion became an issue. Before this time, it was considered wrong, just plain wrong, except when a woman's life would be lost without aborting the unborn, and it would not survive because it was not developed enough to survive. With Roe v Wade, abortion was brought to the forefront of national awareness, and the Republicans were the ones to step up and cry out against such a policy as abortion. So, when the time arose, the Democrat's, the party of slavery and segregation, promoted the taking of innocent life. Way too often, they are on the wrong side of big issues. Marget Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood and arguably a racist, promoted abortion as population control for black Americans and other undesirable (in her mind) groups.  

It was Roe V Wade that helped shape the view of vast numbers on the unborn. Before this, back to the early founding states, the position was that abortion was evil, that life was sacred because God gave it, and that the unborn was a person. This has been well documented by James S. Witherspoon's article, Reexamining Roe: nineteenth-century abortion statutes and the Fourteenth Amendment. Twenty-three of thirty-six states had abolished abortion before the start of the civil war (Defending Life, Francis Beckwith, p. 23).  Beckwith alerted me to Witherspoon's article that I sifted through to prepare for one of our debates and quoted from. Christians who understand the issue have always been defenders of human life and the unjust taking of such life. 

In the womb he took his brother by the heel, And in his mature strength he contended with God.

For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while still in his mother’s womb.

When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy.

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
Second, how do they arrive at the 'best' if morality has no fixed address, no fixed reference point? It is a constantly shifting standard that points to 'better' but better than what?
This appeal to a "fixed reference point" has been shown unnecessary in a post you haven't caught up to yet. A compass doesn't use a fixed reference point, yet the world can be successfully navigated with it. 

While atheists can and sometimes do live more morally than many Christians do, from where their worldview starts (their most basic presuppositions), there is no reason they should.
Again, atheism is not a moral philosophy.

...and the tired old argument of the 'vast killings due to atheism'  (in the name of atheism?!) is something that may work in dogmatic echo chambers, but not to any reasoning person.  Mao (et al) didn't kill because of atheism - that would be like killing for a-unicornism.  It is a nonsense argument.

Whose well-being?
...humans. 

and humans were concerned about what actions and attitudes ensured their survival long before Christianity came to be.
Given that we are a social species, our survival is typically linked to others...

Christianity is different; it looks out not only for self but also for everyone, denying oneself for others' benefit. 
That is revisionistic.  Christianity has a far from perfect track record for a moral philosophy supposedly laid down by a perfect lawgiver. On the other hand, humanism is the tide that raises all boats, and Christianity is along for the ride while it maintains a humanistic component. (That's a good thing!) 

Again, biblical slavery  [...]
...is slavery.  There is no justifiable reason or context where one human owning another is justifiable. Biblical slavery is an aspect of Christianity where it conflicts with humanism. That's problematic if Christianity really is about treating others as you would have them treat you. 

Ok, it's just a fact most people are non-Christians (and are just as moral as Christians). 
Because they adopt the Judeo-Christian standard - it is wrong to murder, wrong to steal, wrong to lie, wrong to covet, wrong to commit adultery. 

...and I suppose you think murder, theft, dishonesty etc., were all considered completely acceptable before Judaism/Christianity? It's a wonder mankind made it 10,000/100,000's years until "God" decided to finally reveal himself! 

I'm having real difficulty finding anything compelling in your assertions here. 

No. Other gods are fake.
Christopher Hitchens: "From a plurality of prime movers, the monotheists have bargained it down to a single one. They are getting ever nearer to the true, round figure."

That means they [believers] think morality owes its existence to a personal being or beings
I would agree morality doesn't exist without conscious beings. It makes no sense to me that you continually discount the personal beings we all know/see and appeal to one we can't. That is an ugly part of your theology, imo. You deny dignity to humanity in order to revere the undetectable. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
This appeal to a "fixed reference point" has been shown unnecessary in a post you haven't caught up to yet. A compass doesn't use a fixed reference point, yet the world can be successfully navigated with it. 
"What is true north?
True north is the direction that points directly towards the geographic North Pole. This is
a fixed point on the Earth’s globe.

True north is a fixed point on the globe. Magnetic north is quite different."

There has to be a true north to reference the magnetic north with. You have the same problem with moral views. There is nothing more than preference unless there is something true to fix morality with. You have to have a 'best' to compare 'good' and 'better' to, or else you have better concerning nothing. Thus, you can never be sure that your 'better' is actually so because it is always shifting and changing. Better in relation to what??? Shifting and changing begs the question of why it is better. No fixed reference point begs the question of why your relative opinion is better than mine. Says how? Opinions become fighting words if there is no moral good, just opinion. 

While atheists can and sometimes do live more morally than many Christians do, from where their worldview starts (their most basic presuppositions), there is no reason they should.
Again, atheism is not a moral philosophy.
Atheists, like Christians, hold to moral views that originate somewhere, the way they view the world and universe. Morality is a part of their worldview. They do not see moral values coming from an ultimate being. They try to make themselves that being in question. If there is no ultimate, necessary being, the point of reference is changing. Atheists (like you) sometimes try to attach morality to universals and objective values, but they do not have the means to do so. Christians do. You try to attach morality to 'well-being.' The problem is whose well-being? You say humanities, but who decides for humanity - you?   

...and the tired old argument of the 'vast killings due to atheism'  (in the name of atheism?!) is something that may work in dogmatic echo chambers, but not to any reasoning person.  Mao (et al) didn't kill because of atheism - that would be like killing for a-unicornism.  It is a nonsense argument.
It is just a fact that atheists during the 20th-century killed more people than all Christian conflicts through the ages, as the data points to and you ignore. Instead, you try to suggest dogmatism, not recognizing your own, for you go against the facts

As an atheist, Mao did not value human life to the same degree that most Christians do. Life was expendable to him just like it is to Qi Jiping or in communist influence countries like Russia with Putin, a holdover from the Soviet Union's grand days. In those two countries alone, some estimates put 100 million dead at Stalin and Mao's hands. Mao let a huge percentage of his population starve to death during the Cultural Revolution. He eradicated opposition from Christianity and other views that opposed his philosophy of life during the great purge. With all Leninist philosophy, religion is the opiate of the people and needs to be purged. Qi Jiping is doing this with his cultural retraining centers in our day.   

Again, your suggestion that my reasoning is non-existent is another attempt to poison the well. I recover by pointing to data. Under an atheist leader, mass numbers were either put to death or left to die of starvation. His atheistic values did not hold human life as valuable as those who understand we are created in God's image and likeness. 

Democide by atheist leaders in atheist countries:

Whose well-being?
...humans. 
Which ones? There are many conflicting views of morality in every culture during every age. Why is yours, THE one? 

Your one-word answers have zero explainability.

Given that we are a social species, our survival is typically linked to others...
You ignored my charge. Do you think that Mao's China was beneficial to those who opposed his thinking? Do you think that those who oppose Kim Jung-Un think the way you do? How about those who oppose Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela? Do you think that it is beneficial to 1.6 billion unborns whose life is snuffed out on women's choice? 

That is revisionistic.  Christianity has a far from perfect track record for a moral philosophy supposedly laid down by a perfect lawgiver. On the other hand, humanism is the tide that raises all boats, and Christianity is along for the ride while it maintains a humanistic component. (That's a good thing!) 
It is not revisionist but the teaching of Scripture. The problem is that many only give lip service to teaching and doctrines. 

Again, biblical slavery  [...]
...is slavery.  There is no justifiable reason or context where one human owning another is justifiable. Biblical slavery is an aspect of Christianity where it conflicts with humanism. That's problematic if Christianity really is about treating others as you would have them treat you. 
It is like an employee/employer relationship, except the employment is a life-long one. I have given you the reasons why and you keep ignoring them. You are talking past me.

With Christianity, there is no slave, no free, no male, no female. We are all one in Jesus Christ. The barriers are taken down imposed by the world. 

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

We are brothers and sisters in Christ, joint-heirs with Him in our heavenly family. 

...and I suppose you think murder, theft, dishonesty etc., were all considered completely acceptable before Judaism/Christianity? It's a wonder mankind made it 10,000/100,000's years until "God" decided to finally reveal himself! 
No, I believe humanity is made in the image and likeness of God. They understand (deep down) these things are wrong (their consciences bear witness to each), but because they are naturally inclined to sin, they ignore God and His standards and try to justify their own. The problem is, without an ultimate, absolute, objective, unchanging reference point, anything goes. It just depends on who holds power.  

I'm having real difficulty finding anything compelling in your assertions here.
And I have difficulty in finding anything compelling in yours. You can't explain why your view is anything other than an opinion and preference. 

No. Other gods are fake.
Christopher Hitchens: "From a plurality of prime movers, the monotheists have bargained it down to a single one. They are getting ever nearer to the true, round figure."
As if I take his view as the gospel truth. He is a subjective human being. Truth is Hitchen's view is just a mascarade for deception. He is selling books with his vain concept, IMO. Again, I do not bow to your atheist gods!

That means they [believers] think morality owes its existence to a personal being or beings
I would agree morality doesn't exist without conscious beings. It makes no sense to me that you continually discount the personal beings we all know/see and appeal to one we can't. That is an ugly part of your theology, imo. You deny dignity to humanity in order to revere the undetectable
I do not discount them. I look at them and question why one opinion wins out over another and what that opinion is fixed on? It is fixed upon relativism and subjective preferences. How does that make anything good? Hilter, Mao, Stalin, Maduro, Castro, Idi Amin, Tito, Ho Chi Minh, Kim Jung-Un, and a host of others teach me just what can happen when someone thinks their good is the good. 

Again, another ad hom attack. I do not deny dignity for humanity. I fight for it. I question how you get 'goodness' as a value if morality is a shifting standard.  

Woe to those who call evil goodand good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@PGA2.0
Dogs, like Christians, hold to moral views that originate somewhere, the way they view the world and universe. Morality is a part of their worldview. They do not see moral values coming from an ultimate being. They try to make themselves that being in question. If there is no ultimate, necessary being, the point of reference is then self preservation and kindness. This is why they don't kill other dog's puppies.