Morality - Is Atheism More Reasonable than Theism?

Author: PGA2.0

Total: 1,638
Amoranemix
Debates: 0
Amoranemix
-->
@Mopac
@PGA2.0
@3RU7AL
PGA2.0 335
Furthermore, since [a] the Bible makes the point that we, as humans, are created in the image and likeness of God, we would have a consciousness that retains some of His goodness [96](even while denying Him), but the problem is that the moral standard is garbled by the Fall and our subjectiveness without God
because we have no clear ideal we can mirror right and wrong against, just a dim reflection.[97] So, even to an extent, Hammurabi can reflect some of the standards of God without that close personal relationship. We see that Caan knew that killing (murdering) his brother was wrong. He hid from God just as Adam did when he took the fruit of the tree of knowledge.
[96] Is that hypothesis supported by evidence ? [a, b]
You like to ask how questions. Answer one yourself. How did God inscribe morality in our hearts ? [*]
[97] [a] So God messed up. Did he mess up on purpose or out of clumsyness ?
PGA2.0 1065
[a] Yes, evidence you continue to pretend does not exist. The Bible is evidence. It makes claims that are backed in several ways.
[b] You continually speak of good and bad, right and wrong as a reasoning being that the Bible says is made in His image and likeness.

[*] By creating us as intelligent beings who are capable of finding MEANING and purpose. The problem is that we mar the meaning and purpose when we do not rightfully understand where it comes from or that there are objective truths regarding meaning/morality/right/wrong.

[a] Again, a false assumption from a biblical perspective.[591] God did not mess up; humanity did.[592] That is a clear message revealed in its writings. Even those who are mentally challenged can understand it.
[b] He did not mess up,[592] yet He allowed us to by giving Adam a free will to choose. Even though you have a will to choose, you will not choose God without His mercy and grace. Thus, in a sense, your will is not free but in bondage to whatever controls it. 
[a] You are mistaken, as usual. I do not pretend the Bible, that wich you claim is evidence, does not exist. The Bible is the claim or hypothesis, not the evidence. Please present the evidence that allegedly supports your hypothesis, so that we may evaluate its strength.
[b] You got it : “The Bible says.” Enough assertions. Demonstrations now !

[*] You fail to provide a mechanism, you just rephrase your beliefs. We allready know God allegedly created humans with the morality he wanted.  The question is how did he do that ? Apparently through speaking, but how did that work ?
From where is that meaning and purpose and how did humans find it ?

[591] That is not an assumption, but a conclusion.
[592] The Bible, Christians and PGA2.0 contradict you. If one tells the Genesis account without bias, then it shows almost everyone messing up. However, humans are simply incapable of carrying all the blame, despite Christians using them as scapegoat and despite the insertion of free will as a mechanism for transferring responsibility. They are too weak and ignorant.

3RU7AL  306
Any human can detect their own moral intuition without any assistance from a book.
PGA2.0 335
I would argue they are personal preference, not moral right, unless the belief reflects God's principles.
Then they would reflect God's personal preference.
PGA2.0 1065
God knows all things.[593] Thus, He has an objective knowledge of all things or, if you like, a real, true knowledge. You do not unless you think His thoughts after Him. I have been trying to demonstrate the inadequate, small-mindedness of our limited reasoning without God, and you are doing an outstanding job of backing me up![594]
[593] Rubbish. We have been over that. God (allegedly) knows only true things. Presumably God also knows his personal preferences, but so did Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Mao Zedong.
[594] You have even been more successful at demonstrating the inadequate, small-mindedness of your limited reasoning without the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
So you have been busy trying to demonstrate red herrings. How about demonstrating the claims you have been asked to prove ?
Pretending that only God's personal preference constitutes moral right is committing the no true Scottsman fallacy.

[98] [a] Right according God's personal morality (GM), you mean. So what ? [b] Why should people who don't believe in God and who dislike GM, want to do what is right according to GM ? [c] That sin is preventing me from doing that, doesn't bother me.
[99] Indeed. [a] Biological evolution tends to generate animals that [b] couldn't care less about GM.
PGA2.0 1066
[98, a] So what? He knows all things; you do not.
[b] They don't usually.[595] They want to do the opposite, like giving a licence to kill the most innocent human beings (the unborn).[596] If they truly want to find out what is the right thing to do, it requires an omniscient, omnibenevolent, immutable, eternal God revealing it to them.
But sometimes, people get tired of all of humanity's inhumanity and look for the answer and find God in/as that answer.
[c] You are not telling me anything I don't know.

[99, a] That is your worldview, biological macro-evolution, not mine. I believe human beings were created differently from the animals to their own kind. You think that we have a common ancestor, the one-celled organism, whereas I believe that our common ancestor is God. You believe the "evolutionary chain" shows animals adapting and changing from that one common ancestor. I believe we are similar and yield similar traits because we share the same environment and food sources. Thus, we must share common traits.

[b] Except for humanity. Most societies throughout history have looked to God or gods.
[98, a] So another red herring. Again, read the OP to discover what this thread is about. (It is not about who knows all things.)
Moreover, you committed a non-sequitur fallacy. That God knows all things and I do not does not follow from the premises.
A predilection for fallacies is indicative of a fallacious worldview.
[595] So we agree on that. Usually people who don't believe in God and dislike GM, like most skeptics, should not adopt GM. Yet you are trying to convince those people to do that anyway. You are trying to get them to do something they shouldn't.
How about someone who believes in God and dislikes GM, why should they adopt GM ? (Remember, they don't necessarily care about the attributes you are fond of, like fixed, absolute, objective, etcetera.)
[596] That looks like a bald, red herring ad hominem fallacy.
[c] The point is that sin is irrelevant.

[99, a] Indeed. Biological evolution, a well-established scientific theory, predicts what we observe. My worldview includes biological evolution. Yours apparently does not.
[b] Only a minority of humans has cared or does care about about GM.

PGA2.0 352 to 3RU7AL's ten yamas
Some of these are restated in the Ten Commandments. Others I disagree with. Finally, who is the authority who revealed them? Is such an authority almighty? If so, let's discuss that being.
So what if the source is not mighty enough to [a] your taste ? I am sure God, were he to exist, [b] could smite all his competitors, but [c] not everyone likes might makes right morality.
PGA2.0 1066
[a] You mean your "tastes." We are not even there yet until you understand that your worldview is insufficient and unreasonable. 

[b] Yes, He could immediately. Instead, He has given us a lifetime, and when we die, we will come into His presence and be accountable. Usually, He lets our sins reach their maximum before He holds us accountable, but all the while, we face trials in this life that turn us to or against Him. The trails can come by our fellow human beings doing wrong that affect us, or they can come by a natural disaster in which judgment comes in some form, even up to the taking of our lives. 

[c] The only might that is right is the might that knows right. You have not demonstrated that you know what is right.[597] It can change according to who holds the idea in your worldview. After all this time, you still have avoided proving what you believe as an atheist is more reasonable than what I believe as a Christian.[598]
[a] Where are you talking about ? I was talking about your (PGA2.0's) taste, in singular.
Again, so nothing apparently. Merely another red herring to distract from the fact that you don't have a case.
[c] You again omitted to mention the reference standard to promote confusion (the skeptic's enemy). Presumably you are referring God's personal morality GM. Usually might makes right fans know what is right according to themselves.
[597] So what ? You seem to be under the impression that it is the atheist's duty to demonstrate that he knows what is right GM. However, that is merely an ASSUMPTION of yours.
[598] I have avoided nothing of the sort. I believe in the natural world, which is a reasonable belief by default. You add something very complicated to it. It is your burden to prove that addition exists, not the skeptic's burden to disprove it. Go ahead and prove it.

PGA2.0 1068 to 3RU7AL
If you wanted proof, I am willing to go into the prophetic argument as to its reasonableness. Are you willing to go there? If not, I will not bother. If so, I want a commitment to staying the course, and I want feedback from you. When I ask a question, I would expect an answer.
Proof does not require asking questions nor someone else providing answers to those questions. These can serve as a rhetorical device for deception though.

PGA2.0 1068 to 3RU7AL
That is a big assumption; providing physical necessities makes you free. If your mind is not free, neither are you. Whatever controls you keeps you unfree.
3RU7AL 1070
(IFF) you cannot freely generate your own food, clothing and shelter (THEN) you must submit yourself to your (human) provider
Indeed. To be provided with something, one must turn to someone that exists, like humans. Even Christians turn to humans for clothing and food. Praying to an invisible sky magician gives unreliable results.

Mopac 386
The Truth is God.[101]
As atheism is a denial of Absolute Truth or Ultimate Reality, it is the position of nihilism.[102]
Nihilism demolishes morality. Anything built off nihilism is like a house built on sand. Morality becomes a matter of convenience for whomever has the ability to excercise authority.[103]
[101] What do you mean ?
[102] Can you prove that ?
[103] If morality becomes a matter of convencience, then, contrary to what you claimed, it is not demolished.
Mopac 1078
[101] I mean that The Ultimate Reality is God. That is, God is what is ultimately real. The singular reality, The Truth
[102] As God is The Ultimate Reality, to be an atheist towards this God is very naturally the position of nihilism.
Nietzsche himself, who was instrumental in bringing nihilism to the forefront of philosophy said...
"That there is no truth; that there is no absolute state of affairs-no 'thing-in-itself.' This alone is Nihilism, and of the most extreme kind."
[103] It certainly is, because this is not morality.[599] This is arbitrariness. From the orthodox standpoint, morality has everything to do with one's relationship with The Truth.[600] If The Truth doesn't exist, there is no way of operating that can be properly called moral.
[101] What is the difference between something real and something ultimately real ? Are matter, energy and time ultimately real ?
[102] Not necessarily. Atheists could still believe in the non-ultimate part of reality.
[599] Are you going for the no true Scottsman fallacy ? Please demonstrate that morality that is a matter of convenience and thus perhaps arbitrary, is not really morality.
[600] Perhaps the orthodox standpoint is merely an opinion and not the truth.

FLRW
FLRW
I pray to the creators of this simulation that you all find Humanism.

26 days later

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@ethang5
@PGA2.0
Amoranemix 1095 to PGA2.0
Notice again that it someone with a reality-based worldview who is teaching someone with a god-based wordview, not the other way round.
ethang5 1096
Would you be that person teaching others?
Among others, teaching someone, yes.

Amoranemix 808 to PGA2.0
A problem is not all theists believe in the same god. So God changes depending on who your are talking to. Can one really know a fictional being that keeps changing ?
ethang5 1096
You think the reality of God changes by peoples opinion?[601] I bet you don't say the same thing for evolution or the constitution. So at least you're half logical.
[601] No. God would not be changing if he were real. It is the God-fiction that changes.

Amoranemix 808 to PGA2.0
Atheism is not a worldview, so why would it need to pass a test for worldviews ?
ethang5 1096
Atheism CAN BE a worldview, and often is. It needs to be justified by those who hold it as a worldview.
In this thread only the moral aspect of that worldview.

Amoranemix 995 to PGA2.0
So far the only way to discovering that truth has been by making it. How ? Create an objective moral standard and then discover what it says.
ethang5 1096
So far in the insane world. This is utter gibberish.
No, it is not.

Amoranemix 995 to ethang5
First, claiming actions that God cannot do seems at odds with God's alleged omnipotence.
ethang5 1096
And citing this inability as a weakness of God does nothing to remedy the incorrectness of the original comment that "Whatever God does is good and just according to his own standard." Please stay on topic.
You are repeating yourself. I had read you the first time. Please stop deflecting.
If you had bothered reading my next paragraphs before responding, you would have noticed that I have addressed the objections you made.

Second, God's actions being morally good does not a priori place a limitation on God's actions, since we lack an objective measure for what actions are morally good.
ethang5 1096
It is God Himself who places limits on His actions. Your incorrect statement assumes God sets no limits.[602] And Christians do have an objective standard for what is morally good, you don't.[603]
[602] You are mistaken twice, for I have not made an incorrect statement and have not assumed God sets no limits.
[603] So far, Christians have been unable to demonstrate they have an objective standard. They have merely claimed and repeated they have. Furthermore, this thread is not about which worldview has an objective standard for morality. Please stay on topic.

If morally good actions are those actions done by God, then he could still do anything he wants, as the only action he could not do would those he does not do. Hence, if morally good is some aspect of his nature, then he could still not restore killed children if it is not in his nature to do so.
ethang5 1096
This comment did not stay long enough in your oven and came out half-baked.
Please read the OP to discover what is on topic in this thread.

So from a Christian perspective, assuming the latter definition, whatever the Bible says on the topic, it should not be a problem, as God would merely be acting in according with his nature, which by definition would be good.
ethang5 1096
Which means something definite, not what you want it to mean, that ANY action can be included. Logic is required here.
What I want it to mean, is irrelevant, as I was talking about the meaning suggested by Christians. You complain about me using the wrong definition, but fail to provide the 'correct' one to avoid clarity (the Christian's enemy).
Christians dislike the two options provided by the Euthyphro dilemma. I relied on the third option provided by W.L. Craig, namely that the good is defined by God's nature. However, investigation into that option shows it does not resolve the arbitrariness of (the) good either. Now you say that is not the right definition either. Has yet to be presented a definition for (the) good that would be satisfactory. You allude to a definition that would prevent behaviour perceived as evil to be good, but fail to provide it.

Amoranemix 995 to PGA2.0
[266] That is easy to refute : Torturing little children for fun is wrong
ethang5 1096
Do you have any objective reason for saying it is wrong? I don't think you do.  Torturing little children for fun cannot be wrong simply because YOU think it is.
Skeptics have the objective reasons Christians have, the law for example, and more can be made (see the alleged gibberish). However they do not have the objective reason that Christians believe having.

ethang5 1096
You have not presented a coherent argument, one not plagued with problems. I want logic, not opinions.
You are confusing the coherence of an argument with your desire to understand it. Moreover, you failed to provide an argument supporting that by basing morality on God, it is possible for some behaviour to be good.

PGA2.0 1100
79 posts behind. Help. This is going to take a while.
Refraining from presenting all those red herrings would save you time.

3RU7AL 1097
ATHEISM is a "worldview" in exactly the same way "NOT-Hinduism" is a "worldview".
ethang5 1102
ATHEISM is a "worldview" in exactly the same way "Hinduism" is a "worldview".
So you claim, but can you prove that ?

3RU7AL  1107
Of course, nobody is under any OBLIGATION to describe themselves as an ATHEIST, regardless of what they might or might not happen to believe.
ethang5 1109
Just like Hindus!
And just like lumberjacks, merchants, children and tennis players.

3RU7AL 1107
There is no ATHEIST tradition.
ethang5 1109
Yet every atheist here will quote atheist comments of our founding fathers if you tell them that America's tradition is Christian.
You are mistaken, for not every atheist will do that.

3RU7AL 1113
There is no uniformity of ATHEISTS.
ethang5 1114
They are quite uniform here.
There is no good reason to believe atheists active on religious forums are representative for all atheists. I haven't seen any atheist on here quoting the founding fathers in support of their claims.

3RU7AL 1113
They only share a particular LACK-of belief.
ethang5 1114
But for the word "only" above, your comment would be correct.
Atheism defines the lack of a belief, while Hinduism defines a belief.

There appears to be another inconsistency in your worldview. You claim that skeptic's views are merely preferences because not based on some ultimate, absolute, fixed standard and yet you keep asking skeptics for their views, as if their preferences matter. [a] What relevance do their preferences have ?
PGA2.0 1115
No, what I do is invite them to prove me wrong, that your preference does matter in determining what is moral.[604]
[a] [About atheists imposing their views on others using means PGA2.0 dislikes] [605]
[More about those terrible atheists and even about the thought pattern controlling Democrats] [606]
[604] First, you are mistaken, for you have been asking a lot after atheists preferences. Second, atheist preferences matter as they impact reality. For example, Kim Jong-Un's preferences matter a lot to the North Koreans. I am unclear on how that is supposed to prove you wrong, but I am happy to have been of assistance.
[605] No relevance so far.
[606] Still no relevance. You are supposed to explain how the subject I mentioned atop post 911 contributes in clarifying on topic contentions of this thread, i.e. whether adding God to nature helps sufficiently explain morality for the cost of adding him. You are deflecting. Complaining about abusive atheists and Demokrats does not explain how asking atheists after their preferences helps shed light on that topic.
A problem you keep having, even after a thousand posts, is false assumptions on the beliefs of atheistic posters. You assume they try to impose their morality on you, while in fact it is you who tries to impose your morality on them.

61 days later

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@PGA2.0
PGA2.0 369 to secularmerlin
I have told you many times. You do not listen. It is immoral because if offends the righteousness of God. It is wrong if there is an objective standard that we can measure values against that is fix and best. If not, nothing ultimately matters and morality becomes nothing more than subjective individual or group preference. Which way do you want to live?
You believe that reality reasons like this : “PGA2.0 would dislike it if there is no objective standard that people can measure values against that is fixed and best. He does have a point. Morality would be nothing more than a preference. One wouldn't be able to tell what is really good. That would be terrible. Hence, to please PGA2.0, I make sure that there is such a standard.”
[a] Skeptics on the other hand, know that reality doesn't work that way. [b] They know that reality does not cater to their desires. Hence, [c] which way skeptics want to live is irrelevant to the existence of an objective standard, unless they can create such a standard themselves.
PGA2.0 1115
[About purpose of this thread]
[a] Again, you use spiked language to influence others. You are begging how you know the real (reality) by personal preference since you never state the evidence.[607] How does an opinion make something real unless it supplies justifiable evidence that its thought system conforms to the real through argumentation?[608]

[b] Skeptics know reality does not cater to their preference because they have nothing real or concrete to measure their opinions against other than other subjective, shifting opinions.[609] That begs the question of why I should believe you?[610] There is no reason that your opinion is any BETTER than any other (no better than Hitler or Kim Jong-un) unless you can supply an objective source for your opinion, an unchanging measure. That means giving evidence that meets the standard of objectivity. You can't.[611] You offer hot air that you want to meld and mould other opinions in conformity to your nonsense.[612]

[c] Again, "which way skeptics want to live" is very relevant to those who are being subverted and dehumanized and discriminated against by such skeptics and just saying so does not make it so.[613] Your thinking on this topic is reminiscent of T.S. Elliot's first stanza of The Hollow Men, IMO.   You base morality once again on FEELING ("a skeptic wants").

[d] An objective standard is one independent of subjectivity. It conforms to what is the actual case,[614] to reality, not whatever you want to make the case to be.[615] The laws of nature, gravity, thermodynamics, of relativity, are actual principles. They are proven valid. The laws of logic are actual principles that exist. The laws of logic are self-evident. They are necessary to make sense of anything. You can't deny these laws without using them. To deny them does not make them any less real. They still operate whether you realize them or not. The laws of morality operate in the same manner.[616] There is such a thing as the good, the right, for any given actions, or else goodness is meaningless. It can mean anything because it has no fixed address.

Again, your worldview is absolutely pathetic, IMO, of making sense of morality.[617] I keep inviting you to try from an atheistic perspective. Go ahead. This is the objective of this thread. Show me you have what is necessary.[618]
You use ambiguous language to influence others.
[607] You are mistaken, for I beg no such thing.
[608] I wouldn't know. Please enlighting me.
You seem to be suggesting that you believe reality does in fact cater to your desires. Do you really believe that ? I don't understand what else you could be complaining about.
[609] Don't be silly. Skeptics know reality does not cater to their desires because they base their beliefs on reason and evidence. It is irrational to believe otherwise.
[610] That question again. Since you prefer God-belief over reality-belief, you should not. If you argumentation depends on reality catering to your desires, you should present evidence that it does i.s.o. just assuming it.
[611] So you assert without any support.
[612] That is another blank accusation. That is typical in our engagements : there are few specific faults you can find in my posts, especially regarding content, so you just vent your frustration. In the mean time, I keep finding faults in your posts and pointing them out.

[c] [613] Your fallacy of choice is missing the point. There are aspects of reality that humans can influence and are thus dependent on our desires, but I was referring to those that don't, more specifically to whether an ultimate, objective, fixed, absolute, objective moral standard exists. If you have evidence that the existence of such a standard depends on one's desires, then please present that evidence.
[d] [614] A created standard always conforms to what is the case, namely the standard itself.
[615] That is also what skeptics aspire their worldview to be a good model of : reality. They do not strive to make it a model of what you or they want the world to be. They are less vulnerable to the nirvana fallacy than Christians.
[616] I commend you for deviating from you usual tripe with a new claim. It does however remain a bald assertion. Please demonstrate the laws of morality work in the same way as the laws of logic.
[617] Skeptics base their worldview on reason and evidence, not on PGA2.0's appreciation of it.
[618] Again, not I but the universe has what is necessary. Again, I already have made sense of morality. I even have explained morality. You on other hand, still have douzens of bald assertions to demonstrate. Go ahead !

PGA2.0 352
Morality is based on His nature.[100a] The Being that is God is pure, holy, just, compassionate, loving. These are good qualities. Since He knows all things He knows what is harmful and hurtful to us[100b], thus He commands that we do not kill, do not steal, do not lie, do not covet (that hurts us, creating all kinds of discord and inner turmoil within our life), do not commit adultery, do honour your father and mother, and honour your Maker.
[100a] So you claim, but can you prove that ?
You could of course choose to base your standard on God's nature somehow. The result would then be your favourite standard.
[100b] Harmfull and hurtfull are tied to well(/ill)-being. Are you saying that goodness and God's nature are tied to well-being ?
PGA2.0 1116
[100a] You can't prove things to someone who is not open to the evidence. It is like talking to a wall. There is always one more "what if..."

I keep telling you the evidence or proof is reasonable.[619] You keep denying there is evidence.[620] How can I have a conversation with someone who does not want to hear it or look at the evidence?[621] You say the Bible is not evidence of God, yet it claims to be a self-revelation of God. Thus, what it contains is either reasonable to believe, or it is not. So, how reasonable is this evidence, these written records, in accordance with what we can know (via history, archaeology, and internal evidence/consistency aligned with external evidence)?[622] What is more reasonable to believe about our existence, our morality, our universe? Two of these are philosophical questions that should be weighed on logic and reason. The third, the universe, is more apt in applying physical evidence in its proof. The Bible speaks of creation by God, a Saviour, a covenant with a people (Israel), the destruction of that covenant, and the making of a better one. It speaks of a judgment in which a city and temple will be destroyed and a particulate people judged according to a specific timeframe. How reasonable are these things to believe as happening? How reasonable is it to believe these prophecies were written before the fact, the event, not after?[623] [ . . . ]

You are a master of smoke screens.[624] You seldom reveal your own perspective or how these moral things can make sense from your atheistic perspective.[625] Why should I believe what you say unless you can justify your belief???[626] This has been one-sided to date, IMO. How many times have I asked you to justify morality from your perspective to no avail?[627] On the other hand, I have given you a more reasonable perspective with common sense and logic.

[100b] [no response]

[100a] You are mistaken, as usual. Morality is based on what is actually right and wrong, not on God's nature. Moreover, in the real world, almost everything true can in principle be proven and nothing false can be proven. Furthermore, your follow-up comments are deceitful : I rarely ever use “what if …” as follow-up question. In addition, you frequently rebut with follow-up questions yourself.  So again, you are complaining to others about behaviour you exhibit yourself.

[619] Have I asked you whether the evidence or proof is reasonable ? No, I have not.
[620] You are mistaken again, for I don't keep denying that. I don't think I have denied it even a single time in this thread. Would a rational person believe someone who keeps piling up false claims ? No, (s)he would not.
[621] I wouldn't know. Relevance ?
[622] The Bible makes claims. Using these claims as evidence is (in general) an appeal to authority fallacy. It can be used as evidence as accounts from ancient documents, interpreted by scientists and historians. It is no evidence for the supernatural or for morality being based on God's nature.
[623] Those are red herrings. I have asked you whether you can prove whether morality is based on God's nature. The answer is no. The rest is distraction.
[624] That is another unsupported accusation of yours.
[625] I only need to do so once. When asked and when relevant, I have given my perspective. You on the other hand, should stop repeating your red herrings.
[626] I have never said you should believe me when I cannot justify my belief.
[627] If you mean explain, then zero times, as far as I remember.

That is a long response, void of evidence for the claim it was supposed to be about. A simple 'no' would have sufficed.

[100b] You forgot to answer my question.

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@SkepticalOne
...Especially as related to standards of evidence, burden of proof, Biblical slavery, and the moral relativism of slavery being justified by "it was a different time and culture".

I am not sure if you are for or against what the ancients were doing. 

I have never read of any holy man badmouthing slavery in the distant past.

What would be your best advice to a slave in those days or to those who held slaves?

Regards
DL

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@3RU7AL
"(A)GNOSTIC = (WITHOUT)GNOSIS = no memory (of direct experience) of any "higher power(s)"

Gnosis, to this Gnostic Christian, has nothing to do with a higher power.

Here is a link that  defines Gnosis.  Gnosis - The Secret of Solomon's Temple - YouTube

There is no willed power higher than what humans can demonstrate.

Regards
DL

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
Atheism is not just more reasonable, it is show8ing that the atheist ideology is more peace loving and law abiding than all the Western religions.

That means, that atheists who are not militantly trying to change minds, by both supporting atheist churches, and bad mouthing the lesser homophobic and misogynous religions and theologies, are not doing their duty to humanity.

For evil to grow and all that.

Regards
DL
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
LOL
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Atheism is not just more reasonable, it is showing that the atheist ideology is more peace loving and law abiding than all the Western religions
You will be going to the next level in this simulation.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
I have had my apotheosis or theosis already.

Most do not think those term to be speaking of anything real, but I would disagree with that.

Regards
DL
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Great way to communicate, stupid.

Nice if I knew what you were laughing at, but 9if that is your best -----.

Regards
DL

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
It's so easy.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
I hate stupid ass holes.

Regards
DL
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Then you're in the wrong place.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
You appear to have missed this , Witch.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
...Especially as related to standards of evidence, burden of proof, Biblical slavery, and the moral relativism of slavery being justified by "it was a different time and culture".

I am not sure if you are for or against what the ancients were doing. 

I have never read of any holy man badmouthing slavery in the distant past.

What would be your best advice to a slave in those days or to those who held slaves?
I am confused at your confusion. My position is spelled out fairly well in the post you sampled.

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@SkepticalOne
I know your position and dislike slavery just as much.

I just could not answer my own question and thought that you, likely  better thinker than I, might help me out.

We will chat again when mutual confusion due to quotes are not around.

I have yet to debate and am formal debate stupid.

We will have to find something to disagree on and have some fun.

Regards
DL

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
In Lak’ech Ala K’in
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@3RU7AL
Is it appropriate for me to offer my sympathies?

Regards
DL

32 days later

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@PGA2.0
PGA2.0 352
If God allowed His people to be destroyed by these hostile groups or be grossly influenced it would nullify the prophecies about the Messiah's lineage. Thus, God had the greater good in mind, the salvation of a vast number of people in the long run.
No doubt God has his personal greater good in mind, [a] as he is a narcissist. [b] However, what evidence can you present that he had the salvation of a vast number of people in mind and that [c] the promotion of military conquest and the oppression of natives contributed to that ?
PGA2.0 1116
[a] Again, just saying so does not make it so. The Bible repeatedly states that God is looking out for the good of us by requiring what is right, and just since He is loving.

Love does not seek its own benefit; thus, how can it be narcissistic?[628]

[b] Again, what evidence will you accept?[629] You do not accept the Bible as His word; you do not accept the proofs within its pages.[630] You do not accept the logic of/for God as a necessary being but assert yourself as one in your pronouncements of declarative and imperative statements.[630b] You keep begging that I should believe you.[630c] Why?

[c] About what?[631] You try to detach the context from your statements all the time when it comes to biblical things.[632] What specifically are you referring to? IMO, you fail to inquire why God would do such things to judge such people or save others. There are sufficient reasons.
[a] Again, the Bible saying so does not make it so, nor your repeating it.
[628] I was not talking about love, but about God.
[629] Stop stalling. Present the best evidence you have so that we may evaluate its strength.
[630] Proof is compelling evidence. So if there is of that in the Bible I should accept it when it is presented properly.
[630b] What does that even mean ? You like making vague accusations because their vagueness makes them hard to challenge. However, contrary to what you suggest, I have not asserted myself as necessary for morality. You on the other hand, have repeatedly asserted God as necessary for morality and I have challenged you repeatedly to demonstrate that. I am still waiting.
[630c] You are grossly mistaken, for I haven't even begged you once. Repeatedly making false accusations is an indication of a corrupted worldview.
I am still waiting for you to answer my question.

[c] [631] Sorry, but I don't understand the question.
[632] You are mistaken, for I do not.
I won't insist on a discussion about whether the promotion of military conquest contributes to the salvation of a vast number of people, as that is off topic. Feel free to demonstrate it does though.

[*] Maybe. I don't know the figures, but what matters is what fraction of pregancies come from consensual sex, which is probably lower. Moreover, that consent to sex is consent to pregnancy is disputable.
In addition, [a] on what grounds would the mother have responsibility, beside opinions ? [a] Furthermore, what about the responsibility of the father ? Usually, in the case of abortion, he did nothing for the foetus, yet receives no blame.
PGA2.0 1116
[*] Maybe? These stats are gathered from US polls, which I noted in previous debates and posts. I am not doing the work again of listing them.

When sex is engaged in, there is often a chance that pregnancy will result, that a condom will fail and that fertilization will occur. To sluff off the idea that this can happen is again to find excuses if it does happen..."I did not know I could/would get pregnant."

Would you use the same excuse if you ran a red light and hit a pedestrian?[632] "I did not know this could/would happen by running the red." It is your responsibility to know the consequences of doing the act, either sexual or disobeying traffic laws.

[a] Because the woman knew that having sex could result in a pregnancy ( as did the father), however small that might be. Not only this, do we not have a moral responsibility to protect innocent human beings?[633] If not, what is stopping someone from killing you even when you have not committed a crime or done anything wrong?[634] Is it not self-evidentiary that it is wrong?[635] We are speaking of killing an innocent human being here. Do you not recognize that? You continually gloss over that fact. Why do you do this?[636]
[632] No. Relevance ?
You have addressed neither of the claims I have actually made.
[633] You seem to be relying on the principles :
- One has some responsibility for the known possible consequences of one's actions.
- One has some responsibility for protecting innocent human beings.
Obviously, agreement with the latter depends on innocent according to who.
Are these principles presuppositions of yours ? You said the 10 Commandments are your presuppositions.
If so, then God, if Christianity were true, would have some responsibility for almost everything.
[634] That would depend on who and on the circumstances. Obviously, innocent people sometimes get killed in the real wold (the one skeptics believe in).
[635] Relying on your suggestion that you are referring to God's morality (GM), then question becomes : “Is it not self-evident that that killing someone who has done nothing wrong, is wrong according to GM?” No. To me that is not obvious. Why are you asking me whether something is wrong according to GM ?
[636] I gloss over it, first, because I don't value guilt or innocence according to God's personal opinion. Second, because abortion is off topic.
Why do you gloss over the fact that no one blames God for problems fetuses face ?

86 days later

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@PGA2.0
PGA2.0 382 to secularmerlin
First of all, let me give you an idea of what it is in a nutshell. Justice is equal treatment under the law. It is not being particular depending on whether a person is rich or influential. It applies the letter of the law equally regardless of persons.
Aha. We have an objective definition for justice. [a] So far you seemed to use justice as if it were whatever is consistent with with God's personal standard of justice. [b] I presume God is exempted from equal treatment and deserves better treatment. That is self-serving favouritism.
PGA2.0 1116
[a] What the hell are you talking about?[637] Where did I mention God in my statement?[638] Is it not self-evident to you that if one innocent person is fined for breaking a law that he did not break and another guilty person is let off for breaking the same law that justice has not been served?[639] IMO, you continually manipulate words and thoughts to serve yourself and your corrupt and illogical ideas.[640]

[b] First, you assume that moral rules are above God, not part of His nature.[641] Second, you assume that moral laws apply to Him.[642] Greg Koukle raises some good points about the Ten Commandments and morality.[643] They apply to human beings, but how can they apply to God?

How can stealing apply to God? Since God owns all things and created all things, how can He steal? He is just taking what already belongs to Him. How can that be considered stealing?[644]

As a human being, do you have a right to do with what you own as you want to do (on a human level)?[645] Can you break the computer you own because you are frustrated with it? Can you give it away if you want to do so, as an adult?[646] If so, how can you deny God the same right as the owner of all things?

How can murder apply to Him?[647] He has revealed that He will not take innocent life without restoring it to a better place, so He does not murder.[648] [ . . . ]

In the stealing and ownership example, are you not being hypocritical, applying one standard to yourself and another to God?[649] And as if it should apply to Him. How can you speak back to Him as if He is unjust?[650] How do you determine this by your subjectiveness?[651] What is justice to you?[652] You required I define it. I defined my terms, yet you should also define yours, so we know we are speaking about the same thing. You always want to critique my view but seldom give justification for your own.[653]

What makes you think God is accountable to you?[654] He is under no obligation to answer you (per the Bible) but has graciously decided to anyway through the biblical revelation.[655]
[a, 637] I was talking about what I said what I was talking about (surprising, isn't it ?) : your use of the term justice.
[638] What statement are you asking about ?
[639] It is not self-evident, but I agree with it. Do you have a relevant point to make ? If so, what is it ?
[640] Thank you for sharing your personal opinion with me, but I prefer to believe in reality.
[b, 641] How so ? You assume moral rules are beneath God.
[642] Do I ? What does it mean for a moral law to apply to someone ? Can you give an explanation without relying on opinions ? In other words, can you give an explanation where all the 'oughts', 'shoulds', 'obligations', 'duties' and similar terms are accompanied by the reference standard. For example, an explanation could be : “A moral law applying to someone means that it ought to be followed by that person according to God's moral standard.” (If you make that claim you should prove it too.)
With the above definition of course, I did not make the assumption you claim I make.
Do you assume moral laws do not apply to him ?

[643] In the first paragraph Greg Koulke admits that the motive is not justice, but catering to God's interests : it would be inconvenient for God if some laws would equally apply to him as to humans. God would not be able to do as he pleases. God can't have that, so Koulke searched for a way to free God of their chains. I am sure God appreciates his efforts.
Furthermore, Koulke's argumentation is based on two assumptions : that God created everything and that creating something makes one its owner. Both those assumptions require demonstration.
Moreover, creating something apparently only comes with rights, not with obligations (which you contradicted in your comments on abortion). I suspect God would dislike having obligations.
So God's supposedly egalitarian justice is more favourable to you the more you own and God decided that he owns everything. It must be pleasant to be God.

[644] One problem with your approach is that you presuppose your beliefs are correct (begging the question) and from that you conclude – not surprisingly – that those who disagree with you must be wrong. Then you are baffled that they don't just roll over and agree with you. The explanation is simple : your beliefs being correct is not one of their presuppositions.

[645] You omitted to mention the reference rights standard to avoid clarity (the Christian's enemy), but if you are asking for my opinion, then the answer is no, only that which does not infringe on other rights.
[646] Usually, yes and yes.

[647] God could for example murder by committing intentional, wrongful manslaughter.
[648] If I decide that bicycle you think you own is my property, then I can't steal it from you. I just take what rightfully mine. If I decide that your are guilty of a capital crime (like worshipping a false god), then I can't murder you. I just give you the punishment you deserve.
The reason you recognize the above propositions as preposterous is because you are not infatuated with me. However, your bias for God is so extreme, that you find it perfectly acceptable that God reasons that way. On top of that, you fail to take into account that skeptics are not infatuated with God.

[649] You are exceptionally correct. I am indeed not being hypocritical, as I had not presented a stealing and ownership example.
[650] I am not infatuated with him. I disapprove of his justice.
[651] I have my idea of how justice should that be (the ideal as it were), like being void of self-serving favouritism, and compare God's with that.
[652] That could be a good discussion topic in a language class, but my detailed opinion seems irrelevant here. Since you insist, your definition, equal treatment under the law, is a good start. The problem is that the law may be unjust by not treating everyone equally.
[653] That is a disingenuous, unsupported accusation. I systematically address your (non-repetitive) requests for information. If I have not given the information, then either you didn't ask properly or I had good reason not to give it.

[654] What makes you think I think God is accountable to me ?
[655] You are mistaken, for he has revealed nothing to me.

PGA2.0 400
I point you to the Ten Commandments. That is the standard from which we derive many other laws for the principles focus on love for God and love for neighbour. We are not showing love when we harm our neighbours. But what does that mean outside of a fixed, final standard or measure? It would be relative and subjective. Because of that such a system of thought is incapable of providing a fixed and necessary standard.[104] Remember, I have asked SkepticalOne to provide one since he stated he has one. I am still waiting
[104] So what ? Can any relevant conclusion be drawn from that ?
If so, why haven't you provided or demonstrated it yet ?
PGA2.0 1117
Yes. It means that morality is constantly shifting and that the law of identity (A=A) is contravened, making nonsense of meaning. Thus, two people, two groups, two cultures, can have the opposite meaning of the other for the same thing being right.* That begs which is the actual right view.

* Group A = It is right to steal.
Group B = It is wrong to steal.

Which is the actual case?
The only relevant conclusion you are attempting to draw there is invalid. It is based on the equivocation fallacy, as has been explained to you a few times already. You said it yourself : meaning depends on context, but you suppress that knowledge when it hinders God-belief.
Hence, no relevant conclusion can be drawn from your complaints.

These moral instincts are  universal  (relative to mammals anyway) and  unchanging.
These moral instincts predate the "discovery" of "YHWH" by Abraham.
PGA2.0 428
That is your assumption and presumption that comes from your worldview bias.
Are you disputing that these instincts existed before Abraham ?
PGA2.0 1117
The biblical revelation does not say that Abraham invented the biblical YHWY or morality, so why Abraham is included is a mystery. 

No, I am debating that humans instincts are not what is necessary for morality. How I protect myself, my family, my property, or determine that I need to protect myself, family, or property may have a detrimental effect on those who have done nothing wrong or even on what is right and wrong.[656] It is not based upon my feelings or perceptions but upon what is right and wrong. My instinct on right or wrong may or may not meet the moral standard.
You should not merely debate whether these instinct are not what is necessary for morality. You should demonstrate it. Morality is not a black and white thing. There can be more or less of it, like beauty or order. These moral instincts do not make a complete moral palette, but there are more moral instincts (like pity) and they do contribute to morality.
[656] What is detrimental to other is related to ill-being. I agree with your objection because morality IMO should be related to well-being an intentions. On those grounds indeed, these moral instincts are insufficient. But why should you or God care about what may be detrimental to others ?

18 days later

amandragon01
amandragon01
Atheists, as people who have thought about existence, often make the claim that Atheism is an absence of belief in God or a deity. Does that argument work? I say no. I could claim theism is a lack of belief in atheism or an absence (not the presence) of the denial of God or gods.
Well, I suppose you could. Though atheism as the absence of belief in the existence of god(s) doesn't necessitate the denial of them. This is a common misconception. Belief is the acceptance that something is true or does exist. Denial is the position that something is not true. While I agree everyone who believes 'god(s) don't exist' is an atheist. Not all atheists need believe gods don't exist, they need only not believe they do. It's a false dichotomy my assert that be cause I don't believe X exists, I must believe X doesn't exist. I could simply be uncertain enough of X's existence that I don't feel either position warrants belief. If X is god(s) then it's atheism.

An atheist not believing in God as Creator would have to believe something else as there cause, yet something about God too in their denial of Him. You can't deny something you have no idea of and SkepticalOne definitely has views about God. Thus, atheism is a worldview. It examines life's most basic questions and comes to a conclusion from a standpoint lacking God.
Yet as an atheist I don't deny god(s) I simply see no reason to accept the claims of their existence as true. Does that mean I need to believe alternative views? I'd say no. I find myself uncertain how the universe began, where life came from and most of the other subjects contested. My views are simple. I haven't been presented with the necessity for a creator of the universe so I don't believe in one.

First, what is the origin (reasoning the chain of events back to its furthest point possible) of moral conscious beings? Is such a causal factor intentional (thus mindful) or random, chaotic? A personal Being who has revealed Himself as omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, immutable, and eternal would have what is necessary in determining what is moral because there would be a fixed measure or reference point in which a comparison can be made as to 'the good' (since there is a best). How does SkepticalOne arrive at best? What is the ideal, the fixed reference point? That necessary Being is reasonable to assume since we only witness or observe moral mindful beings deriving their existence from other moral, mindful beings. With atheism (no God or gods) what is left for the origins of morality and before that conscious beings? I say it is a blind, indifferent, mindless, random chance happenstance. How is that capable of anything, let alone being the cause of moral mindful beings? 
The theist position I feel would be preferable if it were true, as of yet I have seen no reason to conclude A personal Being who is omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, immutable, and eternal has revealed himself. Until such a time as it can be shown that it has I feel it's a moot point which is preferable. Why disclude the worrying possibility that morality is an idea of humans? Not an absolute, not a constant, but a subjective human idea. This is a horrible idea, one that's definitely not what I would prefer to be true. However, what I want to be true is immaterial.

Whereas I believe I derive my moral aptitude from a necessary moral being, you believe you derive yours from chance happenstance. How is that more reasonable? Am I missing something here?
Again, this is dependant on the existence of your supposed necrsary moral being. Until you can show there is a necessary moral being then why would it be reasonable to assume one?

It takes faith to be an atheist, a blind faith if you look at the causal tree of blind indifferent chance as your maker. How is that reasonable in arriving at morality? Somehow, there is a giant leap from chance happenstance to uniformity of nature and sustainability of these natural laws.
You speak of random chance. I don't know the probabilities of this universe forming as it has. I also don't know as anyone does. But that only matters if the universe forming as it has is somehow intended/special. Of course to us it's great that the universe formed as it did (in a way that had life develop as it did) but can you give any reason to assume that this is somehow special rather than simply how it turned out? Why must a universe with life be intended/special rather than simply how it turned out? Is it objectively special or merely special to us because if it was otherwise we wouldn't be here?

8 days later

imdancin
imdancin
-->
@PGA2.0
“It takes faith to be an atheist, a blind faith if you look at the causal tree of blind indifferent chance as your maker. How is that reasonable in arriving at morality? Somehow, there is a giant leap from chance happenstance to uniformity of nature and sustainability of these natural laws. We discover these laws, not invent them. And, these laws appear to be a mindful thing because we can use mathematical formulas in expressing and conceptualizing them. Why would that be possible or probable in a blind, indifferent, random chance universe? Does SkepticalOne believe we just invent morality too, that there is no objective mind behind morals, just chance happenstance as the root cause? There is a giant leap between inorganic things and organic mindful, moral people. How does atheism transition between or scale this chasm?”

No one can live without faith even if they just have faith in themselves. I am a Christian and while there are many things I can’t prove scientifically I do not believe my faith or reasoning, morality comes from a blind place. I believe the Bible is true and much of it has been verified even by secular sources. I look at everything in the world that I have seen my entire life (I am 66 years old) and know that all of it could not have come from nothing. Science states that something can’t come from nothing. So how did we get the earth, planets, gravity, solar system, DNA, the egg, the eye, photosynthesis, the tides, all animal life, human life and our miraculous bodies, blood clotting, morality etc….? I choose to believe in God that He was the intelligent creator. What possible answer could a skeptic give when asked to give the proof for what they think was the FIRST CAUSE? I also don’t believe someone can claim to be an atheist because they have to admit they just don’t know. Without God what are we left with? A world with subjective answers to what is moral and what isn’t. Morality that changes. Abortion, once thought to be immoral..now is cool, hip, and many women getting one, wear it like a badge of honor. 

“Human beings are subjective relative beings in that we do not know all things and constantly revise and change our moral views. Once, not long ago, abortion was considered a moral wrong in America, except when the life of the mother was threatened with certain death, such as with a tubal pregnancy. Now, some even condone the abortion of the unborn right up to the time of birth and beyond by choice, by preference, and they pass laws to accommodate their preferences. Who is right? And once again, if there is no objective standard, what makes your view any better than mine? Force, duress? How does that make something good or even objective? So you get a bunch of like minded people to push your views and make it law by force. Dictators, benevolent or tyrannical, do the same thing. What is good about that? SkepticalOne says although he is an atheist he believes in objective morality. Is this reasonable from an atheistic standpoint? How is his view anything but subjective since he needs a true, fixed, unchanging point of reference for something to have objectivity? An objective standard is not subject to personal preference but to what is the case.”

What moral issues do you think can be changed? For the Christian the answer would be none. For the agnostic or skeptic, morality could change, because they live in a world of moral relativity. Whats good for you might not be good for me. What would give anyone the incentive to be a good person if they don’t believe in God? Why would it even matter? How can a society be safe, protect citizens if everything is allowed? And we see the chants from the radical pink abortion loving people to allow all abortions because it’s her body, her choice and no one else, even the living human child inside her matters?  I wonder what this crowd will want next. Does this living without God worldview provide an adequate basis for meaningful thought and life? That question is constantly asked to Christians...rarely asked of the atheist/skeptic?  
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@imdancin
I also don’t believe someone can claim to be an atheist because they have to admit they just don’t know.
everyone agrees that a "first-cause" is a logical necessity

if you want to call this "first-cause" "YHWH" that's your choice

i prefer NOUMENON

also

most people who self-identify as "atheists" have the same "lack-of-belief" that you have regarding gods such as NANABOZHO and PANGU

for example

you have no obligation to "disprove" the "existence" of NANABOZHO and PANGU (because that would be technically impossible)

in the same way, an "atheist" has not obligation to "disprove" the "existence" of "YHWH" (because logic tells us you can't prove a negative)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Is this reasonable from an atheistic standpoint? How is his view anything but subjective since he needs a true, fixed, unchanging point of reference for something to have objectivity?
if christian morality is so "true, fixed, and unchanging" why don't all christians agree that divorce = adultery ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@imdancin
And we see the chants from the radical pink abortion loving people to allow all abortions because it’s her body, her choice and no one else, even the living human child inside her matters?
(IFF) you consider abortion a moral issue (THEN) you can rest easy knowing for certain that your god of choice will punish all violators

self-ownership is sacrosanct

legal scope does not include all conduct that is broadly agreed to be immoral

for example, the holy scriptures recommend the death penalty for WOMEN (not men) who commit adultery

do you personally believe this holy death penalty should be codified in modern legal systems ?
imdancin
imdancin
-->
@3RU7AL
“(IFF) you consider abortion a moral issue (THEN) you can rest easy knowing for certain that your god of choice will punish all violators

self-ownership is sacrosanct

legal scope does not include all conduct that is broadly agreed to be immoral

for example, the holy scriptures recommend the death penalty for WOMEN (not men) who commit adultery

do you personally believe this holy death penalty should be codified in modern legal systems ?”

Thank you answering my post.

I think abortion is a moral issue. Is killing unborn children moral? How are they killed? It is completely inhumane. They could be sucked out and broken up into a mass of blood and tissue. They could be scraped out. The doctor inserts a spoon-like instrument like forceps and scrapes out the baby. Sometimes he has to cut the baby into several pieces in order to get it out. The chemical method is also used where a toxic salt-water solution is injected into the womb. For the life of me I can’t with all the new technology that is available today confirming personhood…that someone would willingly do this to their child. Is it immoral? Absolutely it is. People use friendly words to describe what happens…but it is a slaughter tied up with a pretty bow to the pro-choicer. Abortion is premeditated murder. 

My God of choice you say?  My God is a loving, just God who will judge everyone who has ever lived including me. I am glad He will because much evil in the world goes unpunished. He will uphold judgement and mercy. Retribution is an important factor here because it connects punishment with wrongdoings or sin. Don’t you think punishment is necessary and rational in a civilized society? For a serial killer to kill dozens of people and not to face any punishment, is that moral? For a drunk driver to kill a family who he happens to hit while driving down the road? A man who brutally rapes a woman? Child molesters, pedophiles? Actions lead to punishment. Why is the concept of Gods punishment for sin so shocking? Wrongdoings have to be recognized in every culture around the world. Justice requires that the wrongdoer be punished. And God will punish, righteously.

When you post something that concerns the Bible will you please post the scripture number so we both can be on the same page. Thanks. 

The Old Testament law commanded the death penalty for various acts of murder. Kidnapping, bestiality etc. You mention women. 
When the Pharisees brought a woman who was caught in the act of adultery to Jesus and asked Him if she should be stoned, Jesus replied, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” John 8:7. This should not be used to indicate that Jesus rejected capital punishment in all instances. God has instituted capital punishment in His Word, and His standard is the highest. God has given government the authority to determine when capital punishment is due. But how fairly does the government carry it out?  Genesis 9:6
Should it be legal? I struggle with it I must be honest. Innocent lives have been lost and in the past I am sure racism played a big part….unjust results. It has Biblical origins for sure.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@imdancin
Don’t you think punishment is necessary and rational in a civilized society?
the only valid justification for the state to kidnap someone and hold them prisoner is to mitigate an eminent threat to other citizens and or their property

it's the same justification one might apply to capturing a rabid dog

"punishing" a rabid dog is more than pointless, it's obviously cruel

if the threat is mitigated, no additional "punitive" measures are called for

afterall,

if they're going to suffer for all eternity in a lake of fire, why would we need to heap any additional pain and or suffering and or discomfort upon them at this point ?

why would we stoop to their level ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@imdancin
When you post something that concerns the Bible will you please post the scripture number so we both can be on the same page. Thanks. 
The basis for punishment of stoning specifically for adultery is clearly provided in Leviticus (20:10-12) which reads: "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, even with the wife of his neighbour, both the adulterer and adulteress must be put to death...." Further, in Deuteronomy (22:22-24), it is stated that, "If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you should take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death."

notice this only applies to the man if and only if the woman in question is either married or pledged to be married

Intercourse between a married man and an unmarried woman was fornication. Adultery was regarded as a great social wrong, as well as a great sin.

“Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

imdancin
imdancin
-->
@3RU7AL
“The basis for punishment of stoning specifically for adultery is clearly provided in Leviticus (20:10-12) which reads: "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, even with the wife of his neighbour, both the adulterer and adulteress must be put to death...." Further, in Deuteronomy (22:22-24), it is stated that, "If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you should take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death."

Why don’t Christians stone people for Sabbath breaking, adultery, murder, or anything else?  Understanding the difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant law is important to understand this question. In the Old Covenant, animal sacrifices were made for the sins of the people. But these sacrifices were insufficient to erase the conscience of the worshiper towards sin. The cost of sin was death. Jesus came and He put into place new law with His blood. Matthew 26:26-28 His sacrifice was much more than any animals was. Hebrews 10:1

In I Corinthians 5 there is a story about a man who slept with his father’s wife. “It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: a man has his father’s wife…” (verse 1). According to Leviticus 20:11, the punishment should be death. How did the Apostle Paul address the situation?
“4 When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord…11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. ‘Expel the wicked man from among you.’” (I Cor. 5:4-5, 11-13). Paul didn’t want to put someone to death, he removed the sinner from the congregation. He even expressed that his wish was that the discipline or removal would still result in the man’s salvation on the Day of the Lord when God will make the final decision about life and death.  

“Intercourse between a married man and an unmarried woman was fornication. Adultery was regarded as a great social wrong, as well as a great sin.”

Jesus found his teaching on sexual intimacy was found in Genesis where the divine image was expressed in both male and female. Actually any sex unless it is between the marriage of man and woman was sin and is still sin today. 

“Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”

Jesus goes back to Genesis to establish God’s original plan for marriage. God’s moral will for marriage is one man and one woman joined together for life. They are to "cleave" together.  Bottom line Jesus does NOT sanction divorce, marriage was to be permanent. Divorce is caused by sin…but is not unforgivable.