I am about to become a monk ama

Author: Mopac

Total: 94
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
You should probably ask questions to someone you will respect the response of rather than me. I'm not interested in debating these things with.you.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
I'm not interested in debating these things with.you.

Then simply stay of my threads and don't ask me anything and do not comment on anything I have said.  But you can't do that can you.

It takes only seconds to dismantle you BS , Mopac.  Where will you be freeloading next, a Ashram or Kibbutz?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
I am not a freeloader. 

As I stated, I start my novitiate next year. It will be a lot of work actually. Likely a lot of construction.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
I am not a freeloader.   As I stated, I start my novitiate next year. It will be a lot of work actually. Likely a lot of construction.

How much does that training cost and who pays for your keep while you sit in your cell praying and  not thinking for yourself? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Monks do not sit around and do nothing but pray. Common misconception.

There is a lot of manual labor involved in being a monk.

There are a lot of ways monks support themselves besides. For example, Holy Cross in West Virgina(a fine example of a monastery) keeps bees. They sell the honey, but they also use the wax to make candles, which they also sell. They also keep goats, and they use the milk from the goats to make shampoo and soap. Besides this, they also make incense. All of this is enough to support the monastery.

Pretty much every monastery does some type of work that generates income. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Yes it all sounds like an easy ride to me.  Bees doing all the work while you reap the rewards siting in your cell not thinking for yourself. 

Do those bees work a nightshift and on the Sabbath too to support all of you monks?

You are freeloader the depends on tithes or other donations  usually from  those that can least  afford it.  With promises of a life after death in paradise. Wicked I say. 

But fair play, there's always going to be another sucker coming through and  for all of eternity.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Bee-lieve me when I say that your hateful opinions don't concern me.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Oh you are such a fkn wordsmith Mopac. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@Stephen
He mentioned he will eventually cancel his cell service,
Well his battery hasn't worn down yet   . This thread was started -  I am about to become a monk -  29 days ago

And he's going strong  the last time I checked , this morning
Sounds like he's still trying to figure things out and find his path. I can relate to that.

But I like how this thread is now about bourgeois monks exploiting the bee proletariat. Bravo, chaps.

38 days later

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Sounds like he's still trying to figure things out and find his path. I can relate to that.

I start my novitiate around March.

The timing is not up to me.

But I like how this thread is now about bourgeois monks exploiting the bee proletariat. Bravo, chaps.

Monks live in poverty, do not have money, and live a life of prayer, temperance, and hard work. Exploitation is very foreign to what a monk does. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac

Monks live in poverty, do not have money, and live a life of prayer, temperance, and hard work. 

I do struggle to understand how ora et labora  keeps your tonsure's above water.  Besides feeding yourselves there is the utilities to be paid for and the maintenance of the monk house that you all occupy.  You can't all be working in the garden especially during winter. Would donations from the heathens &  pagans outside of your bubble play any part in your upkeep?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Why would non believers give money to a monastery?

All monasteries have different ways of supporting themselves. Certainly, some people donate to monasteries. Many pilgrims appreciate monasticism.

33 days later

Mopac
Mopac
My novitiate officially starts March 1st.

Soluminsanis
Debates: 1
Soluminsanis
-->
@Mopac
Honestly curious,  how do you cope with the unbearable sexual frustration that goes with the monastic lifestyle? I've been single and celibate for 25 years myself and I think I'm losing my marbles.  God bless in your journey. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Soluminsanis
Praying, not eating too much, avoiding meats other than fish, doing manual labor, and praying some more.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
@Soluminsanis
Manual labor.
Is that a euphemism for masturbation?

And did your Dads or the Bishop tell you, that if you keep doing that, your marbles will fall off....

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
It means working with your hands.

I mean FARMING.

Soluminsanis
Debates: 1
Soluminsanis
-->
@Mopac
I've heard about not eating meat to avoid excess sexual desires,  do you think there's anything to that?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Soluminsanis
I wouldn't think in itself, but I don't know.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

When asked the secret of his longevity, 91 year old American Actor Ernest Borgnine answered "I masturbate a lot".

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Soluminsanis
"Eating meat"........Is that another euphemism?....... LOL.

And sexual desires are pre-programmed, so there's no avoiding them.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Was he Orthodox or left handed.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
You have a choice when it comes to how you handle desires. Eventually, what once were strong desires lose their strength. I know that for certain.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
There are certainly coping strategies.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
You have a choice when it comes to how you handle desires.

Eventually, what once were strong desires lose their strength. I know that for certain.

I should imagine they do  lose there pull and strength once it realised and accepted that being locked away in monk land prohibits you from achieving those desires and that any attempt to reach those desires is futile.... under those circumstances. 

Are you suggesting  that unless you lock yourself away from "the sins of the world" that   you couldn't resist your desires, even after praying "lead me not into temptation" a billion times a day?  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@FLRW
When asked the secret of his longevity, 91 year old American Actor Ernest Borgnine answered "I masturbate a lot".

Methuselah must have been ambidextrous with massive biceps. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
For me personally, I don't think celibacy will be much an issue. I am not a sexually preoccupied person to begin with. 

Being in a monastery doesn't necessarily stop temptation either.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
We have a lot of them. That unseen warfare that goes on in the heart is a big part of the practice.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac

Being in a monastery doesn't necessarily stop temptation either.

So how many beautiful  women are in your monk house? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
It is far more likely to be tempted by the beautiful women who are outside the monastery than ones inside.

There is more to be tempted by than simply sexual desires you know.