Does the bible cause homophobia?

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 119
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
No. That is, not anymore than the bible causing fornicatophobia, adulteraphobia, liarophobia, stealophobia (a lot of red dots), etc.

This is a continuation from a discussion that veered off topic in the better explanation/origin universe thread with Theweakeredge.

--> @RoderickSpode

Perhaps this is the case, but homosexuals were one of the more persecuted groups by the church, people practically ignored the old testament, except for the popular stories and that it was evil to be gay. In fact, the god of the bible still hasn't changed their mind, it is still a sin to be gay according to the bible.
It's a sin to practice homosexuality (and heterosexual adultery), yes.

As far as persecution, I don't deny it at all. But persecution of homosexuals is universal, and not tied to any religion or ideology. The Bible doesn't make people homophobic. And if someone is homophobic, it doesn't matter whether they believe in God or not.
Um.... as Stephen (though I do not agree with them on most things, these specific things is true) pointed out, there are multiple verses in the bible that demonstrate, yes, the bible is a specific cause of homophobia. What matters is that the bible spreads homophobia, by calling it a sin. It is homophobic to consider someone's sexuality evil. Does that necessarily make the person homophobic? No. It means they are doing something homophobic, and that they should stop that, before they actually buy further in and become fully homophobic. 
Do you know anyone who became homophobic specifically due to reading the Bible?

If so, how would you know they weren't already homophobic?

Some things to consider, particularly if you're American.

The founding fathers spoke very little, if anything about homosexuality. More than likely, it was so taboo that it wasn't discussed publicly. There were more Christians in America amongst European immigrants than anything else, so we could have become a religious state akin to Islamic nations. Instead, the finding fathers decided to allow freedom of choice in terms of religious (or lack of) belief. And homosexuals could have been ostracized like today like they are in the Middle East. Instead, Christian Americans determined through the years that what people do in their bedroom is their business. And eventually we now have same sex weddings. It would certainly appear that Christians are more tolerant than our founding fathers were.

Do you really think you have cause for worry? I've seen these references often about the potential danger (a danger that isn't even present) of the bible, Christianity, and religion. You seem to be saying something like "You need to stop reading the bible because it might turn me into a homophobe".

And there's kind of a catch-22 here as well. It seems like some people are disappointed that Christians don't try and carry out, or claim contemporary need for OT punishments. And I think logically the reason would be because if we did, it would provide great reason to claim Christianity a detriment to society.

When some atheists read the OT, they see it as cannon fodder for claiming the bible is evil. The Christian (generally speaking) sees it as God showing us how serious sin is, and how much grace is being extended to us. And then we also can't help ignore the verses (that some atheists ignore) admonish us to not judge others, and to focus primarily on our own faults (and sins).

We also understand that certain laws are applied in certain circumstances where they are not in other circumstances. For instance, laws for civilians are not the same as is
within the military.

So you probably don't have much to worry about as far as American or western religion is concerned.

No, I would disagree, it's because they decide to say, "Hey what if the bible god wasn't a complete and utter arsehole?" then they cherry-pick verses or statements of god just as you have. Don't get me wrong, I love that people are becoming more and more tolerant of gay people, but the fact is, they have opposing ideas from their supposed creator. There is no struggle intellectually, god hates a group of people for something as inherent as one's ethnicity. 

Sorry, you lost me. Particularly (but not limited to) the reference to one's ethnicity.

My point was that someone does not choose their sexuality any more than they choose their ethnicity.  My points previously are that churches who accept gay people are cherry-picking verses, and while I love the fact that they are being less homophobic, it is factually correct that they are not interpreting gods will correctly. 
Again, that catch-22. If we don't persecute homosexuals, we're not doing our job, and are a big disappointment for those looking for people to play the role of the evil religious oppressors. We must be cherry-picking.

My sexuality is something I refuse to ever ask forgiveness for. Not to mention - why the h*ll am I asking that god for forgiveness? That dude is evil according to her own rules!
I think you have to admit though. You have changed your tone a bit here. In a prior post you suggested your view that God is evil was maybe subjective, or personal opinion.
When I said my morality, I meant the moral philosophy that I applied to, while it is subjective - so it all morality - and that what I meant wasn't to claim that god was objectively evil in some kind of tonal difference, but point out that even according to god's own rules, she is immoral.
One of the magnificent things about our free pluralistic (so far) society is that you have freedom to draw that conclusion. And you probably won't ever lose it.

What more could you ask for?

What? Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle, even if I were to never get married and just do a bunch of dudes my entire life, that still wouldn't be a lifestyle of homosexuality. That would just be one free of exclusive relationships.

I think you're misunderstanding me (emphasis on I think).

If 2 people of the same gender are married, and at a still young age one of the partners had an accident or became ill to where they couldn't have sex together, would the healthy partner remain faithful?

If the healthy partner needs to have sex with someone else (another person of the same gender), then I would say that yes, it's a lifestyle. The person can't do without it. It may not be as much of a lifestyle to them as the bar-hopping one-night-stand person. But still.
I thank you for your humbleness, but I must digress:
I think it sounded a bit arrogant myself.

In some cases no, but this also applies to heterosexual relationships. Is a relationship between two men or two women any less likely to fall apart than one between a man and a woman due to cheating? I do not think so, and since this is a claim that is indicative of a change in status, it should be backed up with evidence. 
I don't make any claim that a man and woman relationship is less likely to fall apart.

To your second claim, how is someone doing (what you assert as necessary) a necessary function a lifestyle? That's like saying someone who needs to eat and therefore is an eater
by lifestyle. I suppose you could semantically argue the point, but it wouldn't be true.
Eating can certainly be a lifestyle. I think it quite obviously is for a number of people.

This also presumes that the ideal relationship is marriage. Which is false, marriage, as a concept is broken. The only real difference is that you threaten each other into staying with the other. Civil unions are much more my speed. And yes, if I found a guy whom I loved, I would be willing to stay with that guy until one of us died, as long as the relationship isn't toxic of course. 

No, I make no suggestion at all that marriage is the ideal relationship. To myself, platonic relationships would be ideal. But what I'm doing is simply giving you the biblical model of marriage, which pretty much coincides with the traditional marriage vow. After all, it's the bible we've been talking about, right?
Perhaps it was a misinterpretation from me, but the point is, using marriage in your premises would imply that your points and impacts are based on the relationship model of marriage, I was simply pointing out that Marriage is not at all ideal, and therefore not a good piece of information to have in one premise. 
What I was inferring was that faithful monogamous marriage is the standard for the love that encompasses the examples you gave earlier in terms of a biblical model.

I am curious, why is a platonic the most ideal relationship platonic? Not saying I disagree or anything, I'm just curious as to your reasoning. To the last question, I suppose? I thought we were talking about god in general. I just so happened to believe in the one of the bible. 
What I meant was, for me, in a selfish sense would consider platonic relationships more ideal (or convenient). But what is ideal or convenient is not a good standard as far as unconditional love is concerned.

This entire section discounts polygamy, which is a perfectly valid area of relationships, not to mention, it once more assumes that marriage is the ideal relationship state: I can not stress enough that it is not.
I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Why do you think polygamy is a perfectly valid area of relationships?
Why isn't it? First of all, if we're talking about the bible, then you should know that in genesis it explicitly favors polygamy, or at least a descendent of adam is not punished for having two wives.
The bible doesn't favor (or condone) polygamy. It refers to specific individuals who practiced it. But that's not condoning it.

Second of all - as long as it's a healthy relationship between consenting adults, and isn't toxic, it really isn't a bad thing at all, in fact, I would argue that polygamy can be more ideal than monogamy, as each partner is given more love and affection (in a healthy relationship anyway). 
How is each partner given more love and affection?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RoderickSpode
This is a continuation from a discussion that veered off topic 
 Do you have a link?

Does the bible cause homophobia?

It may well do and it is not impossible.     But a phobic person is one that suffers from an irrational fear or dread. So to "fear" homosexuals, does to me  seem very irrational.  To be against or anti  homosexuality is another thing altogether. 

So seeing that I  have been quoted above, and  instead of trying to play down what are clear anti homosexual biblical verses,  why don't  you  simply tell us your personal stance on the matter of homosexuality and if or not you believe it is a "abomination" worthy of "death",

Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an ABOMINATION: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Leviticus 20:13

"'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be PUT TO DEATH; their blood will be on their own heads.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@RoderickSpode
Quick answer. The Bible is a book. It can't cause anything.  People can look at a book, evaluate its ideas and add these to ideas they already have or don't have. 

Of Course Mises might take a different view. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@RoderickSpode
You know I'd appreciate it if you would've linked me to this topic that way I could actually respond to each of your points.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@RoderickSpode

RoderickSpode,

YOUR QUOTE THAT GOES DIRECTLY AGAINST JESUS' WRITTEN WORDS: "Does the bible cause homophobia? No, That is, not anymore than the bible causing fornicatophobia, adulteraphobia, liarophobia, stealophobia (a lot of red dots), etc."

Listen, to save yourself from further embarrassment, like you did before in not addressing my posts to you, but only to RUN AWAY from them, like your cohort in crime, Tradesecret does, your biblical ignorance makes itself known once again.  :(

The TRUTH is that not only is the TRUE Christian to be homophobic to gay men and "slurpy" women, they are to directly follow the biblical axiom in the following passage:
"If a man also lie with mankind, As he lieth with a woman, Both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death,; their blood shall be upon them.” (Leviticus 20:13)

Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.“ (Proverbs 30:5)

Do you want to call Jesus a LIAR by stating that His words are not flawless, therefore admitting at your expense of going to Hell upon your demise, in that Jesus says all gays should be put to death by their blood being upon them?  For your sake, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT come forth with the old yarn of Leviticus 20:13 being in the Old Testament, therefore you and other pseudo-christians do not have to follow this passage, NOT!  Because, if you do, I will Bible Slap you Silly®️ just like before where Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount states with specificity that the OT is to be followed until the end of time, UNDERSTOOD?

Besides, within the New Testament we have the following passage of the inspired word of Jesus the Christ in showing that gay men, and "slurpies" are worthy of death!

"For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, Leaving the natural use of the woman, Burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, And receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. . . who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death."   (Romans 1:26-27)

The Judgment of God in the passage above is relating to Leviticus 20:13 where gays are to be put to death, and their blood shall be upon them, understood?

Therefore, once again, you are barking up the wrong tree in trying to REWRITE the Bible to your own pseudo-christian thinking which is Satanic and ungodly!  Always ask yourself and your biblical ignorance, WWJD, follow the scriptures as literally written, or use unsupported Satanic apologetics to REWRITE Jesus' inspired words? Get it?

You're excused for now, that is, until you remove one foot to insert the other again relative to the TRUE words of Jesus the Christ! (2 Peter 1:20-21)

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN TO BE BIBLE SLAPPED SILLY®️ WILL BE ....?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@BrotherDThomas
So....... you agree with me? At least that the bible is homophobic? I'm gay, question, if you had the means and were commanded to by god, would you murder me?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
Does that make anyone uncomfortable? I'll ask it again:

The bible says you should stone gay people.
I'm gay

If you had the means and God ordered you to do it, would you murder me?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Theweakeredge

You know I'd appreciate it if you would've linked me to this topic that way I could actually respond to each of your points.
My apologies.

My thought at the time was you seemed pretty active on the board, and that you would have seen the thread right away.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
I agree it doesn't CAUSE homophobia. Does it give PERMISSION to be homophobic, permission to persecute gays? Instructions on how to do so? Could someone predisposed tohomophobia use the bible to justify their feelings by saying things like "It's just not natural!" and "It's Adam and EVE, not Adam and Steve?"

To Weakeredge's question: if God ordered you to do it, which is the moral act: obedience or disobedience?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@ludofl3x
Depends:

first off, you didn't answer my question. Don't think I didn't notice the deflection.

Second off, why I am giving credence to a god in the first place? I never specified which god, so this goes to whatever you may or may not believe in. 

Disobedience all the way, I would prefer not to get murdered.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@RoderickSpode
Nah it's fine, just next time if you could tag me for convenience as you said, I'm pretty active, so I'm usually busy with something else. If I see it I also may get distracted by something else. I have a couple of other things I have to get to, then I'll address this, kay?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Theweakeredge

Does that make anyone uncomfortable? I'll ask it again:

The bible says you should stone gay people.
I'm gay

If you had the means and God ordered you to do it, would you murder me?
That's sort of like asking,

if God ordered a believer to worship Satan, would they do it.

Or suggesting,

the military placing a civilian in front of a firing squad for going AWOL from their postal service job.

Killing you is such a theological contradiction (as well as to personal sentiment) there's no way to answer it.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Theweakeredge

Nah it's fine, just next time if you could tag me for convenience as you said, I'm pretty active, so I'm usually busy with something else. If I see it I also may get distracted by something else. I have a couple of other things I have to get to, then I'll address this, kay?
No problem.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@RoderickSpode
Did you forget about..... all of the old testament?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
I agree it doesn't CAUSE homophobia. Does it give PERMISSION to be homophobic, permission to persecute gays? Instructions on how to do so? Could someone predisposed tohomophobia use the bible to justify their feelings by saying things like "It's just not natural!" and "It's Adam and EVE, not Adam and Steve?"
The bible doesn't give permission for any of those.

Someone could be predisposed to homophobia to where they may use the bible to justify their feelings. But that could happen to someone watching the movie "Cruisin".

To Weakeredge's question: if God ordered you to do it, which is the moral act: obedience or disobedience?
If moral parents who raised their child teaching them to be kind all of a sudden told their child to hate, what would be the moral or right response from the child?

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Theweakeredge

Did you forget about..... all of the old testament?
I was actually thinking of the old testament.

I wouldn't have any more right to kill you than I would someone the law was after.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@BrotherDThomas
The topic of the thread is whether or not the bible makes it's reader homophobic, not if the O.T. law should be carried out today.

Do you think that carrying out that law during the O.T. time period necessitated being homophobic?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
The Bible is a book. It can't cause anything
HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!  You know damn well it can.  Or you have to agree with me that it was >>>>> Christianity<<<<<<  that caused millions of deaths  and not the New Testament as I have been saying from almost the day I joined this forum.

Would you say the same about the "book" called the Quran that actually instructs followers of Islam to convert the world to Allah/Islam and by the sword if necessary.

Quran8:39
And fight them until there is no fitnah and [until] the religion, all of it, is for Allah. And if they cease - then indeed, Allah is Seeing of what they do.

Quran 51 - You,who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies.They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally tothem among you – then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allahguides not the wrongdoing people.

Quran8:60 - Andprepare against them[infidels] whatever you are able of power and of steeds ofwar by which you may terrify the enemy of Allah and your enemy andothers besides them whom you do not know [but] whom Allah knows. Andwhatever you spend in the cause of Allah will be fully repaid to you,and you will not be wronged.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
The Bible is a book. It can't cause anything
HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!
Ad hominin. 

You know damn well it can. 
Assumption, 

Or you have to agree with me
Bully tactics. 

that it was >>>>> Christianity<<<<<<  that caused millions of deaths  and not the New Testament as I have been telling you for a long time now.
I never said Christianity killed people - and I never said the NT has killed anyone. If you say I have please provide the links to the quotes. 
And just to be clear. Christianity per se has not caused millions of deaths.  Christianity is not the same as people in the church using the church to kill people unlawfully or even lawfully in the name of a king - such as the crusades.  That would be equivalent to saying atheism in the form of Communism has killled more people in the 20th and 21st century than all of the rest of history. 

Would you say the same about the "book" called the Quran that actually instructs followers of Islam to convert the world to Allah/Islam and by the sword if necessary.
Yes. I would say that the Quran is a book. It cannot cause anyone to do anything. People can read it and evaluate it and make their own decisions. I don't take the view that Islam causes people to murder people. People within Islam exploit people to do things over and above what the religion itself teaches. 

Andfight them until there is no fitnah and [until] the religion, all ofit, is for Allah. And if they cease - then indeed, Allah is Seeing ofwhat they do.

A literalistic reading of the text - taken out of context will always inspire people.  Yet the book itself has no power to do that. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
that it was >>>>> Christianity<<<<<<  that caused millions of deaths  and not the New Testament as I have been telling you for a long time now.
I never said Christianity killed people -

I know. I said that.  

and I never said the NT has killed anyone.
I know. I didn't say that either.  THIS is what I  actually wrote Pastor Tradesecrete   

"it was >>>>> Christianity<<<<<<  that caused millions of deaths  and not the New Testament as I have been saying from almost the day I joined this forum".#18 Stephen

If you say I have please provide the links to the quotes. 

I didn't did I.    Learn to read and scrutinize , LAWYER! if indeed you really are one? 

And just to be clear. Christianity per se has not caused millions of deaths. 

It has, The New Testament hasn't.

Christianity is not the same as people in the church using the church to kill people unlawfully or even lawfully in the name of a king - such as the crusades. 

Tell that to someone that will believe it. It was the >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Christian interpretation<<<<<<<<<<<<< of the bible  and the NT in particular that caused all those millions of deaths. I happen to agree that the crusades were a cause fighting for,  but not for the cause of supporting a  religion. But to defeat and force back a extremely  barbaric religion that hasn't and cannot change or reform in anyway.

That would be equivalent to saying atheism in the form of Communism has killled more people in the 20th and 21st century than all of the rest of history.

It probably did.  

Yes. I would say that the Quran is a book. It cannot cause anyone to do anything.......................... I don't take the view that Islam causes people to murder people.

Of course it can, does and has. stop being to fkn pig ignorant. The Quran explicitly commands its followers to kill the infidel in over 100 verses. They can't all be interpreted to mean love thy fkn neighbour. They throw Homosexuals of roof tops because the religion of Islam commands  it , just as the Old and New Testaments. Romans 1:26-27

People within Islam exploit people to do things over and above what the religion itself teaches. 

Andfight them until there is no fitnah and [until] the religion, all of it, is for Allah. And if they cease - then indeed, Allah is Seeing of what they do.

Yet the book itself has no power to do that. 

I agree. It is the WORDS in these  "holy" books  "breathe by god"  that cause people to kill .   You are a damn hypocrite!!!!!! Pastor

Quran 51 - You,who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies.They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you – then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people"

.  Are you telling me that those " WORDS" "breathed" by the same god that you hold holy are tolerant or intolerant? 

and you keep forgetting that "a book"  particularly  the Bible is full of instructions. Is he that professes to be a devotedly religious person to a faith supposed to ignore what "THE BOOK" instructs  and commands him to do?

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Theweakeredge
For clarity, I don't give any credence to a god idea either,, so to me, no reason to persecute gays at all, they're just people.  
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
If moral parents who raised their child teaching them to be kind all of a sudden told their child to hate, what would be the moral or right response from the child?
Answer my question: if god told you to do it, is it moral or immoral of you to do it?  If you woke up from a dream SURE you heard God's own voice telling you to go kill or even harass  your gay neighbor, and you decide NO, are you righteous or a sinner now? 

Moral parents don't teach children to hate. That question is a  distraction, and not a very good one. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@ludofl3x
I would agree even if I wasn't. I was just trying to distinguish what you're goal was.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@RoderickSpode
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
So....... you agree with me? At least that the bible is homophobic? I'm gay, question, if you had the means and were commanded to by god, would you murder me
I thought you were dating a trans woman.  If a guy is dating someone that is non binary, are they gay or straight?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
Technically pansexual, and I was dating a guy who was trans. His gender was male. We aren't anymore. Stuff happened, that's all I really care to talk about it.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
What if your only attracted to non binary people because your non binary?  If so, your not pansexual.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
I am cis male. (That means I was born with a penis) I am a guy. No, all being pansexual is, is that you are attracted to people regardless of gender, gender doesn't factor in. You can be non-binary and pansexual. The two are not mutually exclusive. If you think they are, explain yourself. 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x

Answer my question: if god told you to do it, is it moral or immoral of you to do it?  If you woke up from a dream SURE you heard God's own voice telling you to go kill or even harass  your gay neighbor, and you decide NO, are you righteous or a sinner now? 

Moral parents don't teach children to hate. That question is a  distraction, and not a very good one. 

It seems you're so focused on trying to trap Christians with this question, you don't really read people's responses.

I'll break it down though.

Your parents teach you to be kind. Kindness is an act of morality. So, based on this alone one can say they are moral. Then one day they change their tune, go the complete

opposite direction (basically change their mind), and tell you to hate everyone.

Just telling me moral parents don't teach children to hate has nothing to do with the question.

That being said, what would you do?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Theweakeredge
I am cis male. (That means I was born with a penis) I am a guy. No, all being pansexual is, is that you are attracted to people regardless of gender, gender doesn't factor in. You can be non-binary and pansexual. The two are not mutually exclusive. If you think they are, explain yourself. 

Sounds all very  ' Sodom and Gomorrah ' . I wonder was it ever prophesied by anyone  that the world would go this way?  Where  humans would  become so  confused and  convoluted about  gender.