if you were a jew during the old testament times, would you execute active homosexuals?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 67
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
just curious. supposedly God commanded you to, so. 
rosends
rosends
No, I wouldn't. Did you have a followup question?

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Well, this is a pretty dumb question imo. Of course we would... just like if I were a white German in 1940 I might believe Jews were worthy of death, and if I were a white southern American in the 1860s I would believe blacks were inferior, and if I lived in medieval times I would think leeches cure disease. 

Hopefully you see my point. Our modern progressive ideology is just a blip in history, and within the context, views and needs of the times and a new upbringing of course we would prescribe to those ideologies, with a few exceptions. We can't pretend we as persons are somehow elevated morally or intellectually just because we live in 2020. I'm sure 200 years down the line peoples views will be very different, and we will be the ones used for such hypotheticals like "If you lived in 2020 would you have an abortion if the government said it was ok?" or "Would you believe global warming will destroy humanity?" etc. 

As for how this pertains to practices like the Halocaust or to stoning a homosexual for being homosexual, the first step to preventing such practices in the future is recognizing that we ourselves are just as capable of such evil as they were. Had the tables been turned, we would be the ones doing the stoning and they would be the ones doing the condemning. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@rosends
r u a christian?
rosends
rosends
-->
@n8nrgmi
Heavens, no.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@rosends
Heavens, no.

Surely there is and "ist"  there somewhere.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@MisterChris

Our modern progressive ideology is just a blip in history
actually this thinking has been recorded in history but only in times of collapse like in Rome or arab empires

i guide you to the fate of empires where liberal ideas such as sexual liberation and big secularism decline the empires oh history on top of many other factors
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Correct. I know this, and didn't mean to imply that there is anything particularly unique about our ideology. In fact, your point basically proves my own. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@MisterChris
nice
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgmi
just curious. supposedly God commanded you to, so. 
I would take the view that law abiding  individual Jews would not take the law into their hands - so no they would not execute homosexuals. 

The OT law clearly places homosexuality into a category of sins that carry the maximum penalty of covenant death. Along with a multitude of others. All covenantal sins required a proper trial with evidence - with two or three witnesses. Once the judge or judges had made their rulings and judgment, then if found guilt and if the maximum penalty was handed down - it was done in accordance with the law of the land. It was not up to the individual - but the state which lawfully carried out the execution of death penalties. 

Hence, like most societies which have a good legal system,  it was not the individual. 

Now of course - the difference between their system and ours is that it was also known as a fused system. It did not separate the law into civil and criminal offences. It has a strong sense of victim justice. Not that the victim had the right to take the law into their own hands - but that they had the right - to see justice is done. And the courts would ensure theoretically  that this would take place. 

Were there individuals who took the law into their own hands? Of course - just like there are in any system.  Yet they were condemned by the system - just like ours does. 
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas

Has any member of this forum seen TRADESECRET of late?  This biblical fool has RUN AWAY from many of my recent posts to him for obvious reasons.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Tradesecret

TRADESECRET, a Bible 2nd class woman NOW, the Debate Runaway on Jesus' true MO,  Bible denier of Jesus being the Trinity God in the OT, the runaway to what division of Christianity he/she follows, the pseudo-christian that has committed the Unpardonable Sin, the number 1 Bible ignorant fool regarding Noah's ark, the pseudo-christian that says kids that curse their parents should be killed, states there is FICTION within the scriptures, and is guilty of Revelation 22:18-19 and 2 Timothy 4:3, an admitted sexual deviant, and had ungodly Gender Reassignment Surgery, Satanic Bible Rewriter, 

YOUR QUOTE OF CONTINUED LYING AND BIBLICAL STUPIDTY !!!:  "I would take the view that law abiding  individual Jews would not take the law into their hands - so no they would not execute homosexuals."  The OT law clearly places homosexuality into a category of sins that carry the maximum penalty of covenant death ........  it was done in accordance with the law of the land. It was not up to the individual "

Barring the FACT that me showing your Satanic and ungodly SEXUAL DEVIANCY and GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY in not being a TRUE Christian, but only in name only, which was obviously the coup de grâce in your assumed stature within this forum because you are to SCARED to address my posts regarding these FACTS!   At your embarrassing expense, YOU  continue to show the membership in just how Bible stupid you truly are in your Satanic rewrites!!!

“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13). Their blood being upon them is a physical real time situation, not a "convenient death" that you ignorantly state as a. minion of Satan.

The Leviticus passage above is to be followed in the same manner as this one: “If there is a betrothed virgin, and a man meets her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones, the young woman because she did not cry for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbor's wife. So you shall purge the evil from your midst." ( Deuteronomy 22:23-24).

"Then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father's house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst." (Deuteronomy 22:21)

Listen up Bible fool, NOWHERE does it state within the above 3 passages had to be in accordance with the assumed law of the land, like you comically state! There're many other passages that stipulate the same outcome at your embarrassing expense.

TRADESECRET, your continued Satanic SILENCE to my recent posts to you proves beyond any doubt that Jesus and I totally OWN YOUR BIBLE STUPIDITY WITHIN THIS FORUM, thank you Tradesecret for making is so easy for me! LOL

NEXT RUNAWAY FROM JESUS' TRUE WORDS PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN WILL BE ...?
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Tradesecret

TRADESECRET, a Bible 2nd class woman NOW, the Debate Runaway on Jesus' true MO,  Bible denier of Jesus being the Trinity God in the OT, the runaway to what division of Christianity he/she follows, the pseudo-christian that has committed the Unpardonable Sin, the number 1 Bible ignorant fool regarding Noah's ark, the pseudo-christian that says kids that curse their parents should be killed, states there is FICTION within the scriptures, and is guilty of Revelation 22:18-19 and 2 Timothy 4:3, an admitted sexual deviant, and had ungodly Gender Reassignment Surgery, Satanic Bible Rewriter, 

UPDATE TO YOU RUNNING AWAY FROM JESUS' TRUE WORDS, November 15, 2020: 

Tradesecrets continued biblical ignorance in how Jesus states to stone men and woman to death: 
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5130-if-you-were-a-jew-during-the-old-testament-times-would-you-execute-active-homosexuals?page=1&post_number=12

Tradesecrets SEXUAL DEVIANCY fully exposed, no pun intended, and going directly against Jesus’ true words, and continues to remain SILENT upon!
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5019-does-the-bible-require-corporal-punishment-of-children?page=1&post_number=21

He/She Tradesecret says Jesus’ Trinity Doctrine is WRONG because Jesus is not supernatural, whereas Jesus' "spirit" part in the Trinity is supernatural, DUH!:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5026-god-is-not-supernatural?page=1&post_number=8

He/She Tradesecret says Jesus’ words are wrong in how to disipline children, whereas Tradesecret disagrees with Jesus' word in using a rod to beat your children:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5019-does-the-bible-require-corporal-punishment-of-children?page=1&post_number=13

He/She Tradesecret has yet to address their ungodly, and against Jesus’s words of their obvious Gender Reassignment Surgery:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4969-the-sons-of-god?page=2&post_number=43

He/She Tradesecret goes “crying to the moderator” because they cannot in any way respond to my biblical intellect:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4726-evidence-in-a-religious-forum?page=9&post_number=215

He/She Tradesecret denies Genesis 7:2 that derails their comical Bible REWRITE of Noah’s Ark position, one of Tradesecrets most comical threads:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1097-why-should-we-take-the-story-of-noah-as-literal?page=5&post_number=106

He/She Tradesecret never addressed in how Jesus showed mercy upon innocent drowning zygotes, fetus’ and babies when He initiated His Great Flood:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4726-evidence-in-a-religious-forum?page=9&post_number=213

He/She Tradesecret RUNS AWAY from 1 Timothy 4:10 where Atheists are going to heaven, where TS says it was “bait” to discuss it and RAN AWAY! LOL:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4754-in-prayer-with-jesus-last-night-he-said-atheists-are-going-to-heaven-wtf?page=3&post_number=56

He/She Tradesecret NEVER addressed the biblical axiom that Jesus did sin, where Tradesecret said he never did, WRONG:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4736-then-why-baptize-him?page=1&post_number=24

He/She Tradesecret actually states that children should be killed if they curse their parents,12 paragraphs down in this link:
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3557-what-is-your-favorite-argument-for-the-existence-of-god?page=9&post_number=203

Tradesecrets total and complete BIBLICAL STUPIDITY is without bounds as he continually RUNS AWAY from the above embarrassing instances! :(

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@BrotherDThomas
If there is a betrothed virgin, and a man meets her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones, the young woman because she did not cry for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbor's wife. So you shall purge the evil from your midst." ( Deuteronomy 22:23-24).
Hi Brother DTs,

thanks for bringing this verse to our attention. It proves my case for me. Read the emboldened words please. Do you notice where they shall be brought? The gates of the city. 

Do you know what the gates of the city were used for? The gates were the primary meeting places of the elders in the city. It was the place where not only business transactions took place, but where the elders and the judges of the city made their investigations and heard evidence of alleged offences.  

In the verse above - it says that they were to bring to then both out before the judges for a hearing.  This is what it is saying. And the situation is - if they were found guilty they would be sentenced by stoning.  The individuals did not take the law into their own hands. But were brought before the elders of the city for hearing. Then the elders after the judgement would allow the sentence to be carried out.  IT was a STATE sanctioned LAWFUL judgment. IT was not individual people taking the law into their own hands. 

But hey - I suppose I am telling you how to suck eggs again. Cheers. 
rosends
rosends
During biblical times, the individual Jew followed Judaism. Judaism has an elaborate judicial and legal system as delineated in the combination of written and oral law.  The individual does not do anything on his own (there was one exception, but that was a particular case with its own parameters, not a template for other behavior).
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Either way, the idea that one today would have always done what was societally acceptable at the time is a fallacy.

First the obvious. Not everyone follows society, not even religiously. That is part of the reason societies change.

Second, the question incorrectly assumes God told people to go kill others at that time.

The author probably is attempting to ask, "If God told you to do something you considered morally wrong, would you obey Him?"

That is a trick question that only works on baby Christians. The question violates the natura of God. Here is another example of a trick question.

If you were deep sea diving and and saw a dog swimming 2 miles under the ocean, would it be able to bark? The most reasonable answer is that what you see is certainly not a dog.

Questions like this also expose baby atheists.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
A measured response....is this the a new Mr Ethang?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Hi Z-man,

No. As always, Ethan is rude only to the rude. Ragnar was untruthful in his rendition of what happened in our PM exchanges, so history will probably repeat itself - as dishonest people tend to be repeatedly dishonest.

How have you been?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@ethang5
why is it so hard to just acknowledge... "yes i would have supported the execution of active homosexuals as that was the command from God"? what's so wrong with that? 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@n8nrgmi
It would be a lie. My God frown on lies. My counter point was that people do not always or necessarily follow their society. You ignored that point.

Here, I have a question.

If 2 men, who were NOT gay had sex, would they be in violation of the law and subject to its death penalty? Yes.

Thus the law was NOT against homosexuals, but against the homosexual ACT. A person could be homosexual all their life and never violate the law.

Your basic complaint here is that the bible doesn't follow your morality. My only response to that is, "so what?"
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
In fact, it doesn't prohibit homosexuals or even the homosexual act. It prohibits lying down next to a man, nothing more. Gay out, just don't fall asleep, Also, you can do it standing up and be completely okay in the eyes of god. It specifically prohibits LAYING. Not banging. Or blowing. Or even jacking off another guy.  Also, chicks are fair game, there's NOTHING at all wrong with a woman chowing down on another woman according to the bible. Get it, girls.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Tradesecret

YOUR GRASPING FOR STRAWS QUOTE AGAIN IN YOUR POST #14: "Hi Brother DTs, thanks for bringing this verse to our attention. It proves my case for me. Read the emboldened words please. Do you notice where they shall be brought? The gates of the city.   Do you know what the gates of the city were used for? The gates were the primary meeting places of the elders in the city. It was the place where not only business transactions took place, but where the elders and the judges of the city made their investigations and heard evidence of alleged offences."  

With biblical citation, actually PROVE your proposition instead of your continued "hearsay accountings,"which are meaningless as usual, this time, relative  to Deuteronomy 22:23-24.  Besides, in said passage it was already precluded that they were guilty and were to be stoned to death using Jesus' words.  How do you feel about Jesus in His actions towards stoning to death His creation in the manner shown, and allegedly being all forgiving and loving?  

You still have yet to address the blaring examples of absolutely NO ELDERS being used in the judgment in the following passages that you conveniently skated over, what's new? Nothing!  

“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13). 

"Then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father's house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst." (Deuteronomy 22:21)

The membership can readily see that you don't like sucking eggs, therefore you have yet to address the following examples of your RUN AWAY status to Jesus' true words upon this forum. What is your Satanic reasoning to continue to RUN AWAY from the following links, especially pertaining to your SEXUAL DEVIANCY, and Gender Reassignment Surgery?

Tradesecrets SEXUAL DEVIANCY fully exposed, no pun intended, and going directly against Jesus’ true words, and continues to remain SILENT upon!

He/She Tradesecret has yet to address their ungodly, and against Jesus’s words of their obvious Gender Reassignment Surgery:

Tradesecrets continued biblical ignorance in how Jesus states to stone men and woman to death: 

He/She Tradesecret says Jesus’ Trinity Doctrine is WRONG because Jesus is not supernatural, whereas Jesus' "spirit" part in the Trinity is supernatural, DUH!:

He/She Tradesecret says Jesus’ words are wrong in how to disipline children, whereas Tradesecret disagrees with Jesus' word in using a rod to beat your children:

He/She Tradesecret goes “crying to the moderator” because they cannot in any way respond to my biblical intellect:

He/She Tradesecret denies Genesis 7:2 that derails their comical Bible REWRITE of Noah’s Ark position, one of Tradesecrets most comical threads:

He/She Tradesecret never addressed in how Jesus showed mercy upon innocent drowning zygotes, fetus’ and babies when He initiated His Great Flood:

He/She Tradesecret RUNS AWAY from 1 Timothy 4:10 where Atheists are going to heaven, where TS says it was “bait” to discuss it and RAN AWAY! LOL:

He/She Tradesecret NEVER addressed the biblical axiom that Jesus did sin, where Tradesecret said he never did, WRONG:

He/She Tradesecret actually states that children should be killed if they curse their parents,12 paragraphs down in this link:

Tradesecrets total and complete BIBLICAL STUPIDITY is without bounds as he/she continually RUNS AWAY from the above embarrassing links! :(

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ludofl3x
You didn't need to verify that your position was weak. We all saw it. But thanks.

Another atheist who suddenly becomes an ultra literal fundamentalist as soon as he sees a bible. Funny.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgmi
why is it so hard to just acknowledge... "yes i would have supported the execution of active homosexuals as that was the command from God"? what's so wrong with that? 
You are changing the goal posts here. You have gone from "if you were a jew during the old testament times, would you execute active homosexuals?" and "just curious. supposedly God commanded you to, so. "  to "support[ing] the execution of active homosexuals". 

The Christian and even Jewish response on this topic has been consistently that that individuals were never given permission to execute homosexuals. It was State sanctioned law.  So no individuals would - no Christian or Jew in the OT would have executed homosexuals. 

Now you have changed the topic ever so slightly to "would you support" the execution of active homosexuals? Ethang5 was answering the original question. As I did and as others have done. 

If your question is really - do you support what God says in the bible? Then the answer is going to be yes. 

But then we are going to have to qualify what that means? What does support mean? And what did God say? Who is going to determine that? 

I wonder if your question really is" would you support someone in today's modern world to execute homosexuals on the basis that God "might have said it" in the OT? 

My answer would be - we are not  a theocratic state.  If however a majority of people in our country - Christian, Non- Christian, atheist etc, decided that it was right to execute homosexuals - then it would be democratically right to do so - based on majority rules.  

But would I support such a move on democratic rules? I would say I do not think that democracy determines right and wrong ultimately for me. It might for the generation at the time - but not for me.  And even though democracy is a good political system mostly - it too has flaws. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Tradesecret
The only flawless system is the one His Majestic Excellency governs.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Very well thank you.

It's good to have you back.

And I hope that you were aware, that once again I argued your case.

Three cheers for Mr Biden hey?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
And I hope that you were aware, that once again I argued your case.
I saw that. It was pleasant, but not a surprise.

I have been tempted to post the contents of the PMs between Ragnar and I to show how he lied, but I think I like a few days before giving him an excuse to ban me again.

Utanity
Utanity
-->
@ethang5

Here, I have a question.

If 2 men, who were NOT gay had sex, would they be in violation of the law and subject to its death penalty? Yes.

Thus the law was NOT against homosexuals, but against the homosexual ACT. A person could be homosexual all their life and never violate the law.

Your basic complaint here is that the bible doesn't follow your morality. My only response to that is, "so what?"
Youre saying that because you like hommos because if they were not you said that they should be killed and that is not being very Christian. You are protecting them because if they do not do what they do then they are not that way anyway so therefore you are not right.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Utanity
Lol!!
Utanity
Utanity
-->
@ethang5
It might be funny too you but you are not being a true Christian if you keep protecting those people.