The one area that will haunt democrats

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 35
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff

packing the courts with right wing judges so they can make the courts swing the law to the right even though that is not what the people want. That is undermining democracy.
Ah, so electing right-wing senators and a right-wing president, whose combined job it is to elect Supreme Court justices is “undermining democracy”. Intriguing.

The republicans used political games to pack the courts with right wing judges. Now the democrats are thinking of doing the same. But in your mind the republicans are fine, but if the democrats do that, that's wrong. That is some hyper partisan bullshit
After decades of left-wing rulings on gay marriage and abortion and your judges legislating through the courts, I’d say it is about time for conservative rulings. If we’re being honest, it is only a 5-4 majority since Roberts cucks all of the time.

there is some twisted logic. Having everyone's votes count for the same amount is a "power grab". having rural people's votes count for way more than urban people's votes is totally fine though....

Two options: give rural voters a little bit of power or give them no voice at all. I’d choose to give them some. Their states are only worth like 3-8 votes while California is like 55.

If it was popular vote, who is going to actually represent the interests of people in states with 200k people? Nobody

lol just because someone disputes something, doesn't mean they are right. I can dispute that the moon exists, but that doesn't change that it is there. Biden won, that is extremely clear. Trump can dispute all he wants, he's an idiot.

I mean, I doubt the results will be overturned, but it is possible. Depends on if there was significant fraud and what routes are taken to remedy that. There are people coming forward and signing affidavits. I haven’t looked into them too much because I’m doubtful, but it is possible.

Also there is always the wildcard of faithless electors. Cenk for TYT in 2016 said they should vote against their state since Trump was “unfit”. Could see the same with Biden, since some days he can barely finish a sentence.

this says alot about the republican party. They recognize they do not represent the majority of americans. They know that they are attempting to force a minority of people's wishes on the majority, and they are ok with it. They actually enjoy it. Its a bit perverse.
I would say that the GOP is very representative of your average American. If you look at county-wide elections for president, the vast majority of them are red. It is just big cities that vote blue, so while they represent “more people” depending on the year, they are really only representing urbanites. While most “areas” don’t vote for them.

That happens now. The only states that get paid attention to are the swing states. Any state that is "safe" is ignored. All the system does is change which states get ignored.
Well the others are “ignored” during election season. But Trump held rallies in tons of safe red states during his presidency like Mississippi to meet the people there. And traveling to swing states is just all for election purposes.

If it was just a popular vote, rural America would probably get ignored while currently with the “undemocratic” Senate and electoral college, they have enough influence to matter in elections.

Policy-wise, I don’t think only swing states matter to the president in the way only urban interests would matter under your proposed system.

yes. California has more people than many countries.

California has about 40 million people. That is about 12% of the US's population. they have 55 of 538 electoral college votes. that is a bit over 10% of the electoral college vote.

Iowa has 3.15 million people. That is about  0.95% of the US population. They get 6 electoral college votes. That is about 0.11% of the electoral college.

So yes, California should have a bigger say in the electoral college than they do. A vote in california is worth less than a vote in Iowa.
California should have a bigger say and they do. But the way the country is set up, via states, popular vote isn’t a good system.

Each state has its own culture, distinct economy, environment, etc and it isn’t a good idea to bulldoze them all simply because they don’t have a massive population. Iowa could still flip either way and not change the chances of winning the presidency that much. If Democrats lost California? They couldn’t win at all.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@HistoryBuff
1.no evidence again

this has been going on and the dems keep blocking them in the senate so why wont republicans do it to the dems?
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
Ah, so electing right-wing senators and a right-wing president, whose combined job it is to elect Supreme Court justices is “undermining democracy”. Intriguing.
and if they were behaving in the same way as the democrats, then fine. However they did not. They actively blocked a democratic president from appointing judges (and lying about why they were doing it) so that they could pack the court under a right wing president. It's not illegal, but is fucking with the system to attempt to get the courts to do what they cannot do in the legislative branch. 

Two options: give rural voters a little bit of power or give them no voice at all. I’d choose to give them some. Their states are only worth like 3-8 votes while California is like 55.
no, the options are to give them the same voice as everyone else, or to give them a louder voice than everyone else. You want to give them a louder voice. You want to make their votes matter more than someone in California or New York. 

If it was popular vote, who is going to actually represent the interests of people in states with 200k people? Nobody
their state. that is what the state is there for. They have congressmen and senators for that. they don't need to have an outsized voice in picking the president to have a voice. 

I mean, I doubt the results will be overturned, but it is possible. Depends on if there was significant fraud and what routes are taken to remedy that.
true, if there was significant fraud that could happen. However, recounts and investigations have been ongoing for weeks and no one has found any evidence of that. 

here are people coming forward and signing affidavits. 
and that means precisely nothing. You can sign an affidavit saying the moon doesn't exist. Unless you can back that up with something, it is meaningless. There is no evidence of fraud, so an affidavit is a complete waste of time. and most of them are worthless anyway. One woman signed an affidavit saying someone told her to "go back to the suburbs karen". They actually entered that as evidence in a lawsuit lol. 

Also there is always the wildcard of faithless electors. 
1) if the republicans tried that, it would be the death of democracy. that is outright, blatant, theft of an election. that would definitively lead to violence. 
2) most of the swing states have already confirmed they are not doing that. 

I would say that the GOP is very representative of your average American.
by definition, no. If you lose the popular vote and your only way to win the election is the electoral college then you do not represent the average american. You represent the states with oversized representation in the electoral college. 

If you look at county-wide elections for president, the vast majority of them are red.
all that means is that rural voters are more likely to vote republican. Rural does not equal "average". in fact here is a link. "About 46 million Americans live in the nation’s rural counties, 175 million in its suburbs and small metros and about 98 million in its urban core counties." so the average american is definitely not rural. 

Well the others are “ignored” during election season. But Trump held rallies in tons of safe red states during his presidency like Mississippi to meet the people there. And traveling to swing states is just all for election purposes.
so? he yelled at them on a stage. that doesn't benefit them in any way whatsoever. Actually, since he spread covid at those events, he actually killed people with those visits. 

Each state has its own culture, distinct economy, environment, etc and it isn’t a good idea to bulldoze them all simply because they don’t have a massive population. Iowa could still flip either way and not change the chances of winning the presidency that much.
the current system is designed to make specific states the only ones that matter. It keeps critical issues stuck. If you know that voters in a specific swing state won't like something, but the majority of the rest of country do want it, then they wont do it. Because 50,000 people in a swing state matter more than a million in California. 

HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Dr.Franklin
1.no evidence again
we've been through this before. I don't care that you want to pretend it doesn't exist. 

I can't seem to access your link without a subscription. I had to find other articles about this. 

this has been going on and the dems keep blocking them in the senate so why wont republicans do it to the dems?
you don't seem to understand the trend. The dems passed a 3 trillion dollar package, the republicans blocked it. The dems passed a 2.1 trillion dollar package, the republicans blocked it. The dems pitched a 1.3 trillion dollar package in july, the republicans blocked it. 

This one bill the democrats refused was about 500 billion. It was far too small to actually address the problem. The republicans knew that. Even trump has said he supported a relief bill over 1 trillion. 

The problem isn't that the republicans really wanted to pass something and the dems wouldn't let them. It was that the republican ideology is against government spending. they kept blocking the democrats because they didn't want to spend any money. The republicans blocked all attempts to get a real relief bill passed. 

So i ask again. why would this be the democrats' fault?

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@HistoryBuff
no evidence