God and the BoP

Author: Juice

Total: 122
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
So, it sounds like you've decided "YHWH" = "SPIRIT".

In your personal opinion, what's a "SPIRIT"?
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
 Incidentally, God being light (photons to you) is in the Dead Sea scrolls.

And also in the dead sea scrolls is Jesus telling his followers to call him The Amen.  All very Egyptian that , don't you think.

It is also in the dead sea scrolls  where we read of  the lovely Peter, AKA the lords "rock" saying to Jesus " letMary leave us, for woman are not worthy of life”. .

This will be the same  lovely St Peter from whence the Roman Catholic Church  claim to have got  their authority.

You really are a tolerate bunch aren't you, you Roman Catholics.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
So, it sounds like you've decided "YHWH" = "SPIRIT".
No, I didn't decide at all. That is what scripture says. I do not create reality, I discover it.

My personal opinion is of no importance here. And did you not just say that "any specific aspect of "ultimate truth" that you "discover" or "directly experience" by your personally preferred procedure is going to be "diminished" if you try to "explain" it to anyone"?

But really, the sheer silliness of your comments to the verses you asked for have convinced me you either aren't bright enough or sincere enough to be worth my time. If you're looking for someone to be silly with, you chose poorly with me.

Have a nice day!
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
My personal opinion is of no importance here.
The importance of your personal opinion is the only reason I'm giving you my attention.

Strangely, it appears I value your opinion MORE than you value it yourself.

You're trying to say that your understanding and definition of "YHWH" is somehow, inexplicably, NOT your personal opinion??

Who's opinion are you FOLLOWING?

And YES,

(IFF) your "spiritual insight" is based purely on your personal, first-hand, unfalsifiable "direct experience" of what you interpret to be "YHWH"

(THEN) STOP PRETENDING YOUR "FAITH" IS LOGICALLY-COHERENT.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

ethang5 wrote:  My personal opinion is of no importance here.

My my ,  dear o dear o dear. You are struggling today aren't you?  Just like most days .  So you don't know what a spirit is either, neither do I. Never spoken to one or seen one.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
There are a great many ancient traditions of devout and sincere "seekers".

Strangely, they haven't managed to all find the exact same "YHWH".
Any examples?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings who have put off entering paradise in order to help others attain enlightenment.

There are many different Bodhisattvas, but the most famous in China is Avalokitesvara, known in Chinese as Guanyin.

Bodhisattvas are usually depicted as less austere or inward than the Buddha.

Renouncing their own salvation and immediate entrance into nirvana, they devote all their power and energy to saving suffering beings in this world.  [**]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stephen
So you don't know what a spirit is either, neither do I.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL

Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings who have put off entering paradise in order to help others attain enlightenment.

There are many different Bodhisattvas, but the most famous in China is Avalokitesvara, known in Chinese as Guanyin.

Bodhisattvas are usually depicted as less austere or inward than the Buddha.

Renouncing their own salvation and immediate entrance into nirvana, they devote all their power and energy to saving suffering beings in this world.  [**]

These are people seeking enlightenment, not seeking the/a creator.

Eastern religion in general focuses on spiritual enlightenment. The Buddha himself actually made no claim of a creator. His view was that if there is a creator, or deities, it's not of importance in terms of achieving enlightenment.

I was actually expecting a reference to people who sincerely have sought the creator, without preconceived notions, and found the creator to be one other than Yahweh (Allah, Vishnu, Dagon, Xanadu, etc.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
These are people seeking enlightenment, not seeking the/a creator.
They are seeking "the truth" (meaning).

They are seeking "the source" (creator).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
I was actually expecting a reference to people who sincerely have sought the creator, without preconceived notions, and found the creator to be one other than Yahweh (Allah, Vishnu, Dagon, Xanadu, etc.
Perhaps you've heard of GNOSIS?

Here's an example of what I believe you're referring to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOvWGuQTow
ethang5
ethang5

The importance of your personal opinion is the only reason I'm giving you my attention.
Then you're wasting your attention.

I do not find it strange that our value systems are different.

You're trying to say that your understanding and definition of "YHWH" is somehow, inexplicably, NOT your personal opinion??
I don't "try" to say things. I either say them, or I do not say them. Attempting to make my words mean something else by restating what you claim I'm "trying" to say is smarmy. I gave you what the Bible says. You can accept it or reject it.

Who's opinion are you FOLLOWING?
How does it matter to you?

And YES,
(IFF) your "spiritual insight" is based purely on your personal, first-hand, unfalsifiable "direct experience" of what you interpret to be "YHWH"
(THEN) STOP PRETENDING YOUR "FAITH" IS LOGICALLY-COHERENT.
Ethan doesn't pretend. And your opinion is not fact.

In post #93 I told you, "the sheer silliness of your comments to the verses you asked for have convinced me you either aren't bright enough or sincere enough to be worth my time. If you're looking for someone to be silly with, you chose poorly with me."

I don't need, and didn't ask for, lessons or advice from you. I find you wholly incapable of teaching me religion, much less, logic. If you are looking for a student or disciple, I already have a mentor. Your little delusion that you have desirable knowledge is cute, but not really worth my time. If you want to discuss topics intelligently, fine, but if you only want to play "puff my ego", please find someone else. You will not like me.

A word to the wise.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
ethang5 wrote:  My personal opinion is of no importance here.

My my ,  dear o dear o dear. You are struggling today aren't you?
Pointing out your delusions have never awoken you.

The difference between you an I is that I did not say I didn't know.

Never spoken to one or seen one.
Your personal opinion is of no importance here. Which is probably why no one asked for it.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
@3RU7AL
  Why are you posting this to me, Ethang 5 ?  It looks like to me like the intended  recipient was  3RU7AL

The importance of your personal opinion is the only reason I'm giving you my attention.
Then you're wasting your attention.

I do not find it strange that our value systems are different.

You're trying to say that your understanding and definition of "YHWH" is somehow, inexplicably, NOT your personal opinion??
I don't "try" to say things. I either say them, or I do not say them. Attempting to make my words mean something else by restating what you claim I'm "trying" to say is smarmy. I gave you what the Bible says. You can accept it or reject it.

Who's opinion are you FOLLOWING?
How does it matter to you?

And YES,
(IFF) your "spiritual insight" is based purely on your personal, first-hand, unfalsifiable "direct experience" of what you interpret to be "YHWH"
(THEN) STOP PRETENDING YOUR "FAITH" IS LOGICALLY-COHERENT.
Ethan doesn't pretend. And your opinion is not fact.

In post #93 I told you, "the sheer silliness of your comments to the verses you asked for have convinced me you either aren't bright enough or sincere enough to be worth my time. If you're looking for someone to be silly with, you chose poorly with me."

I don't need, and didn't ask for, lessons or advice from you. I find you wholly incapable of teaching me religion, much less, logic. If you are looking for a student or disciple, I already have a mentor. Your little delusion that you have desirable knowledge is cute, but not really worth my time. If you want to discuss topics intelligently, fine, but if you only want to play "puff my ego", please find someone else. You will not like me.

A word to the wise.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

That is interesting. So,  considering that you have successfully buried your friends the Reverend  Tradesecrets embarrassment on matter B of P once again,  will you share with us your  knowledge and experiences  of what a spirit actual is?  And does the word spirit mean the same today as it did hundreds of thousands of years ago?

Incidentally, God being light (photons to you) is in the Dead Sea scrolls.
Yes  and that was extremely interesting but you have already mentioned this twice now. You must have missed response.

And also in the dead sea scrolls is Jesus telling his followers to call him The Amen.  All very Egyptian that , don't you think.

It is also in the dead sea scrolls  where we read of  the lovely Peter, AKA the lords "rock" saying to Jesus " let Mary leave us, for woman are not worthy of life”. .

This will be the same  lovely St Peter from whence the Roman Catholic Church  claim to have got  their authority.

You really are a tolerate bunch aren't you, you Roman Catholics.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Why are you posting this to me, Ethang 5 ?  It looks like to me like the intended  recipient was  3RU7AL
It was in response to your post #95. Did you forget it?

That is interesting.
Really? I thought it was also telling.

So,  considering that you have successfully buried your friends the Reverend  Tradesecrets embarrassment on matter B of P once again,...
Why do you say deluded things like this? Are you trying to make us think you are mentally unstable? Why would you want that?

will you share with us your  knowledge and experiences  of what a spirit actual is?
You aren't capable of that discussion.

And does the word spirit mean the same today as it did hundreds of thousands of years ago?
Do you know any word from hundreds of thousands of years ago? The meanings and usage of words change. Did you not know that?

You think Jesus is responsible for what is written in the dead sea scrolls? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just profoundly ignorant or if you're just pretending to be dumb. I really can't.

You really are a tolerate bunch aren't you,...
All it takes is for some anonymous people to write something and you believe and start blaming Peter who wasn't even there?

...you Roman Catholics.
I'm not Roman Catholic.

You're just all over the place in your posts like a drunk person. The thread is about the BoP and here you are blathering about spirits and scrolls.

The BoP is on the one who makes a positive claim. That will not change. If an atheist doesn't want the BoP, he shouldn't make any claims. It's that simple.
Stephen
Stephen

No I didn't forget. I responded to that.  But you have now made clear that won't be discussing the "spirit " with me at least and I am not too surprised as you have, on the few odd threads that you have created declined to discuss subjects that we even appear to agree on........ in part at least. 

You think Jesus is responsible for what is written in the dead sea scrolls? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just profoundly ignorant or if you're just pretending to be dumb. I really can't.

Is Jesus responsible for what is written in the New Testament? 

And how come you want to accept on one hand what the Dead Sea Scroll have to   say  on Jesus being " light" when they work in your favour, but then straightaway,  in the next breath, you appear  dismissing the dead sea scrolls as heresy. 

Do you believe the Dead Sea Scrolls to be heresy?   You mentioned the Scrolls before I did princess. 

You have used and referenced the Dead Sea Scrolls to support your "god is light" argument. So tell me, why is one from the same source heresy and another acceptable
to you ?
Such as this 

also in the dead sea scrolls  where we read of  the lovely Peter, AKA the lords "rock" saying to Jesus " let Mary leave us, for woman are not worthy of life”. .

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Wagyu
And which concession was that? 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Pakistan? 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen

No I didn't forget. I responded to that.
And I was responding to you. Are you confused?

But you have now made clear that won't be discussing the "spirit " with me at least and I am not too surprised as you have, on the few odd threads that you have created declined to discuss subjects that we even appear to agree on........ in part at least.
Your dismal attitude and dishonest style are the problem Stephen. And when we try to point it out to you, you become vulgar, call us liars, dodge, and then spam the silliness again. Have you noticed that fewer and fewer people want to discuss anything with you?

Does Jesus tell His followers to call Him "The Amen" in the NT?

And how come you want to accept on one hand what the Dead Sea Scroll have to   say  on Jesus being " light" when they work in your favour, but then straightaway,  in the next breath, you appear  dismissing the dead sea scrolls as heresy
Any text that agrees with scripture is correct, though not scripture. Any text that contradicts scripture is wrong and should be rejected. The dead sea scrolls is not scripture. When I copy bible verses, that copy is not scripture.

Do you believe the Dead Sea Scrolls to be heresy?   You mentioned the Scrolls before I did princess. 
Mentioning something does not automatically mean I endorse or reject it. It depends on what my mention says. Plus, a thing does not need to be rejected entirely if parts of it are correct.

You have used and referenced the Dead Sea Scrolls to support your "god is light" argument.
I did not. You are just not a good thinker so I won't try to explain it to you, the comment was to 3RU7AL anyway. But I will say that "God is Light" is not an argument. It is scripture. And I said was that the verse is also found in the dead sea scrolls.

So tell me, why is one from the same source heresy and another acceptable
to you ?
Because sources do not have to be 100% right or wrong. Sources can contain many claims. Some true and some false.

...also in the dead sea scrolls  where we read of  the lovely Peter, AKA the lords "rock" saying to Jesus "let Mary leave us, for woman are not worthy of life”. .
Because it contradicts other known scripture. The bible is one book, you like to take verses out of context. First, Peter is not "the Lord's rock", you have been fooled by Roman Catholic doctrine. Jesus told us earlier who was the Lord's Rock. You, being ignorant of scripture, don't know this. Second, the account of Peter's comment makes no sense. It is stupid, and totally unlike Peter's character in the Gospels after Christ had risen.

You have been hoodwinked by some atheist website with an agenda.
Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
-->
@Tradesecret
The one you subconsciously gave
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Wagyu
uh ok. I certainly am going to reserve my objections. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

Stephen wrote: And also in the dead sea scrolls is Jesus telling his followers to call him The Amen.  All very Egyptian that , don't you think.
ethang5 wrote; You think Jesus is responsible for what is written in the dead sea scrolls? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just profoundly ignorant or if you're just pretending to be dumb. I really can't.

And how come you want to accept on one hand what the Dead Sea Scroll have to   say  on Jesus being " light" when they work in your favour, but then straightaway,  in the next breath, you appear  dismissing the dead sea scrolls as heresy. 

You have used and referenced the Dead Sea Scrolls to support your "god is light" argument. So tell me, why is one from the same source heresy and another acceptable
to you ?
Such as this 

also in the dead sea scrolls  where we read of  the lovely Peter, AKA the lords "rock" saying to Jesus " let Mary leave us, for woman are not worthy of life”. .

Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@Tradesecret
I stated the following

The problem is that there are two lots of positive assertions being made. 
So would you consider the prosecutor and defendant of a legal case to both be making positive assertions?
Sometimes.  If a prosecutor states that the defendant has broken the law and the defendant says I do not have the capacity of forming the intent to break the law.  Then the burden falls firstly on the prosecutor, but then once the defendant raises this point which they are legitimately expected to do - then the burden shifts from the prosecutor to the defendant.  I think the same thing applies in a manner in this particular discussion.  Theists (although I think the reverse is more true) raise God. Then the atheist says - I have seen no evidence for God, therefore, the burden shifts - because the atheist is asserting positively that they have a standard they using to measure the existence or non-existence of God. 

So are you saying if I am accused of murder right now, walk into court and say (I quote from you, highlighted words being what I changed) "I have seen no evidence for me committing murder", the response I would receive from the judge would be "The burden shifts - because you are asserting positively that the prosecutor have a standard they using to measure the existence or reality of you innocence."

This is complete jargon. The law always fundamentally works under the statement "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt". In no recognised legal system do I have bear the burden for proving something of which I have been accused of doing. I am always innocent until the prosecutor can prove otherwise. I do not need to defend myself if my opponent doesn't make an evidence based claim. 

In response to my excellent invisible dwarf analogy, tradesecret stated:

People do not make dwarves the center of their universe. 
The importance of a being does not equate to it's validity. By your flawed logic, if I rallied up my dwarf believing friends and drilled it into them that the dwarfs created the universe, would that then mean they are real? Just because you believe your God is (without testable evidence) the centre of the universe, doesn't mean it is. (Just like how if I believed these dwarves were the centre of my universe, that wouldn't make them any more real)

God is not in the same category as santa clause or imaginary creatures.
Actually, Santa clause is an excellent person to bring up right about now. If I told you santa was real, and you said "there's no evidence", would it then be valid to say "You have made a positive assertion and the BoP has therefore shifted". 

God is a completely different matter. People all around the world place their lives into his hands everyday.  They build entire philosophies and doctrines and religions around God. They don't do this with imaginary creatures as such - oh yes there is the Yedis or whatever they are called - but this is completely a mock religion in any event. And it started of  in such a manner. To equivocate that with God is an absurdity.  
Notice the words I have highlighted. 

Allah is a completely different matter. People all around the world place their lives into his hands everyday.  They build entire philosophies and doctrines and religions around Allah. They don't do this with imaginary creatures as such - oh yes there is the Yedis or whatever they are called - but this is completely a mock religion in any event. And it started of  in such a manner. To equivocate that with Allah is an absurdity.  
If you switch the word "God" around with any other God from any other religion, the impact of you statement is still present, just directed from a different religion. If you want to truly prove God's existence, you need to find logic and reasoning which demonstrates that it is superior to other religions, instead of just vague statements of which can be applied to any religion. 

Besides this point, the actual arguments being made aren't good either. Just because there are doctrines (I assume you mean the bible) written about a cause, it doesn't mean it is automatically true, especially not the bible, a book of which has at least 3 errors on the very first page.  

I understand that it is impossible to prove a negative. 
You are a very confusing person. The above is exactly correct. It is impossible for me to disapprove of your God if you do not first provide some evidence for me to debunk. But alas, you go on. 

Yet, this is not what atheists are doing. In your case of an invisible dwarf, that is a negative thing. In the case of God, there is oodles of proof, it is not the amount of proof, nor the extent of it, it is the understanding and interpretation of it that is the issue.  
Oodle of proof? Where? Please, and this is genuine, if you really have evidence, atheists are more than happy to hear it. 

The person who believes in invisible dwarves does not say - everything proves its existence. 
Really? Is this an issue? I can easily add that to my analogy. Let's assume from now on that everything does in fact prove it's existence. 

p1. If I said that the nature of humanity is evidence, would you accept it? No.
p2. If I said the existence of evil is evidence? Would you accept that?
p3. If I said the existence of the universe is evidence, would you accept that? No.
p4. If I said that the existence of absolutes is evidence. Would you accept that? No.
p5. If I argued from first causes? Would you accept that? No.
p6. If I argued from the probability that evolution is impossible would you accept that? No.
p7. No. If I argued from the ontological position, would you accept that? No.
p1. You need to evaluate your point, but I can already foresee where it is going. 
p2. I would say the opposite because of the "problem of evil", a strong case against an omni God. Nevertheless, I would like to hear why you believe evil is evidence of God. 
p3. You would have to evaluate, though I can say, scientific evidence has shown how the universe most likely came about.
p4. Nothing is absolute. 
p5. Nothing came from something. 
p6. For you to think that probability is an issue regarding evolution shows you do not understand it. Evolution is a very simple thing which makes use of "survival of the fittest". I fail to see how this is an issue. In fact, I could use this argument against God, the fact that God is a very complicated being. 
p7. True. No. Because it's a bad argument. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6yH0QgwR6Q

Overall, I would be happy to hear about all your arguments, except for the ontological position because, though it does have a fancy name, is quite poor. 

Do you see the issue? Everything put up as evidence - and indeed even in isolation or as a totality the evidence is there. But this is not enough for you. You are not using a standard of on the balance of probabilities. you are not even using beyond reasonable doubt - your standard of evidence is way above what is acceptable in any sense of a proper test of evidence. You are asking for a standard where there are no lingering doubts - or indeed something of such persuasive weight that you have no alternative position. 
The issue is that no evidence has been provided, although there is another fundamental issue you have made, so I will clarify one point. There is a difference between evidence and assumption. Take the following example. 

If we time travelled 400 years back in time and dropped off an iphone, what reaction do you think will be caused. Obviously, this piece of everyday tech would become magical. How could these people explain these small slim screens? This is when one person suggests God. Clearly, since there is no other way it must be God. 

Though it may be logically sound for these people that God dropped the phone off, from our perspective, that would be incorrect. My point here is that even though there seems to be no other option, providing a logically sound proposal without evidence is not productive. If one really wanted to believe that God dropped of the phone, evidence would have to be provided. Is there a note? Was there a sighting? Are these credible witnesses? Can these people undergo questioning?

Essentially this is how religion first manifested. People had questions and no answers. What's the solution? God. How did the universe begin? I dunno, God I guess. How did humans come onto the planet? I dunno, God I guess. How old is the planet? 10 000. Why? I dunno, God I guess. Just because it seems "logical" that God is the reason for all these things, as evidence cannot be provided, being "logically sound" is no use. 

Actually I know of several Muslims who claim that Jesus has saved them - and become Christians. Although they don't tell their family because they are fearful of being killed.  
Perhaps I didn't word myself well. As you place so much emphasis on "sightings", explain why Muslims see the Allah at all? Explain why Greeks saw Thor? Explain why Egyptians saw Osiris?
To which to said

Go and check out the European legal systems which use the inquisitorial system of Napoleon. France is one such nation.  There the law is not innocent until prove guilty.  When you say there are no such jurisdictions, you are incorrect. 
Essentially dropping all points I have raised. So again, I thank you for you concession. 
Utanity
Utanity
-->
@Wagyu
Can someone explain this situation to me? This seems like a pretty simple question yet it has yielded much controversy.  Just take a look a criminal court cases. 
Criminal court and proving the gilt has nothing what to do with proving something is their so we nock that 1 in the head. So if you said there is no god and I say there is god then we wood playing cat and dog until the cows they go home. So what do we doing to be resolving the ishew. Do you no that most, yes most of what you think of or that your deciding are only gessis and your not going to have to prove everything what you are going to do is rite. Rite so the same is with god because he is so big and powerful your not going to have the ice cream chance in hell of proving that he is their.

That meens  we live in different realtys and who can be telling you that your reality is wrong. Me thats who because if your living in the atheist reality then your only going to believe what is logic and that is being very limited because remember we no only a tiddle bit of what actually is. I live in a bigger reality where there are many things what we dont no and havent proved but I accept god as reality. Just because god is unproven it doesnt meen he aint there but i have more than a hunch because I can feel the presents of god and Im going to heaven and your going to hell when weir snuffed. As simple as that.
Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@Utanity
If this isn't some sort of joke, I recommend some English classes. I don't think gessis approves of your description of him. 
Utanity
Utanity
-->
@Wagyu
If this isn't some sort of joke, I recommend some English classes. I don't think gessis approves of your description of him. 
Are your going to give the intelligent answer or are you keeping on making up things.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Repeating your posts after they have been answered is spam Stephen.

Your questions were addressed in post #110 above.
ethang5
ethang5
Lol! Willows thinks talking to his sock will lend them credibility. Funny.

10 days later

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Juice
The God we believe in is The Ultimate Reality.

It is self refuting to deny God. It is like saying, "It is the truth that there is no truth!"

All atheist arguments are contingent on a heterodox understanding of what God Is.