Does the "mind" even exist?

Author: Sum1hugme

Total: 65
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
Does the mind even exist or is it only the brain?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
In the regard of using it to try to discount naturalism? No.

In actuality? Kinda. 

I would define a mind as the product of the workings of the brain, such as a consciousness, "free will" in whatever fashion you look at it, gender, sexuality, etcetera. In that case of a mind, then yes it would exist, but I find that most people try to ascribe it supernatural or metaphysical in nature, whenever it is simply the product of a physical things, almost like mathematics in a way.

To be clear the actual definition of mind is: "A person's mental processes contrasted with physical action." or "The element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought" but the mental process is exactly what i was describing)
Utanity
Debates: 0
Utanity
-->
@Sum1hugme
The mind is not being a brain because the brain is just like a sloshy slinky stuff in your head but we have the mind because it minds us and it reminds us and that is why it is a mind. Some peoples having half a brain and some peoples they having half a mind but when you have half a mind thats different like when your having half a mind to smack someone but when your having half a brain other peoples will having half the mind to smack you for being to dumb.
Lit
Lit
-->
@Sum1hugme
The brain is the medium between the firing neurons and the mind.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Lit
So what's the mind then?
Lit
Lit
-->
@Sum1hugme
So what's the mind then?
The mind is the part of you that receives, judges, and responds. The neurons reflect the mind and this is because the mind is able to force a change in their lifestyle, rendering the neurons to change as well.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Lit
How do you know the brain isn't simply processing the information received from the sense organs?
Lit
Lit
-->
@Sum1hugme
How do you know the brain isn't simply processing the information received from the sense organs?
The brain does do that.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lit
"The mind" is how we refer to internal electro-chemical physiological processes...... Particularly, processes relating to consciousness and conscious thought.

In other words, brain function.....Or as some people refer to it, "sloshy slinky stuff".

To read more into it, is to simply making use of said sloshy slinky processes.
Lit
Lit
-->
@zedvictor4
"The mind" is how we refer to internal electro-chemical physiological processes...... Particularly, processes relating to consciousness and conscious thought.

In other words, brain function.....Or as some people refer to it, "sloshy slinky stuff".
The mind may be embodied, and in this way it is brain function. The brain by itself doesn't organize the thoughts towards coherency, this is the work of the mind.

The mind is also relational, and so it extends outside of the body as well.

To read more into it, is to simply making use of said sloshy slinky processes.
Well, reading more into things is the work of the mind and not the work of the brain; the brain can only bring forth what it has processed, it does not actualize its purpose or meaning.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Lit
Mind is brain function, nothing more. 

To suggest otherwise, is to fantasise.

No functioning brain....No mind.

36 days later

Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Sum1hugme
Mind is an abstract. All thoughts are abstract in a sense.
Does your question exist? It’s a rhetorical question by the way.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Reece101
Well we wouldn't say that a question is separate from the sound waves or photons that constitute and transmit it. So can you say the mind is separate from the brain? 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Sum1hugme

No, the mind is not separate from the brain, and that is the reason why anesthesia works.
Your afterlife will be the same as your beforelife.

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@FLRW
so every time you say "mind" you mean "brain" ?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Sum1hugme

Yes, The human brain, the most complex object in the universe, comprises a hundred billion neurons linked in networks that give rise to intelligence, emotion, consciousness, memory and creativity. Emerging from the collective activity of all brain regions is the most fascinating neurological phenomenon of all - "the mind."

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@FLRW
  Does "the mind" exist in the same way if one does not have eyes?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Sum1hugme
Yes, as long as one can hear. Many blind people build pictures using their sense of touch, a technique called echolocation.
For blind people who are adept at echolocation, sound information routes through the visual cortex as well. Their brains use echoes to generate spatial maps, which are sometimes so detailed that they enable mountain biking, playing basketball and safely exploring new environments. In fact, last year, Canadian researchers discovered that even when blind echolocation experts listened to audio recordings of their tongue clicks echoing off different objects, they could easily identify the objects that had been present at the time of the recordings. Scans with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) showed activity in areas of their brains associated with visual processing. In other words, their brain scans resembled those of a sighted person identifying an object in a photo.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Sum1hugme
Well we wouldn't say that a question is separate from the sound waves or photons that constitute and transmit it. So can you say the mind is separate from the brain? 
The known universe is singular. So can you say anything that resides within is separate from the universe? My answer is no to both your question and mine.
Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
-->
@Sum1hugme
I'm doubtful it is real. No can answer the question of how a non-material thing can impact a material thing. 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Wagyu
I'm doubtful it is real. No one can answer the question of how a non-material thing can impact a material thing. 
Well for sentient beings perception plays a big part in chemistry.

What about the fundamental forces in physics? They are all for the most part non-material.
I doubt you could explain how two materials impact each other without non-material qualities.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sum1hugme
Mind is the definition of function

So does exist 

Within that context.

And without light 

There is all other sensation to convert.

To awareness.

10 days later

The_Meliorist
Debates: 2
The_Meliorist
-->
@Sum1hugme
I think, therefore I am. 

so I at least have a mind, according to  René Descartes.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@The_Meliorist
Well you have a brain that is capable of being aware of being aware. Does that mean you have a mind that is separate from the brain?
The_Meliorist
Debates: 2
The_Meliorist
-->
@Sum1hugme
what is your definition  of mind and brain.
sadolite
sadolite
No one should have responded.  LOL
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@The_Meliorist
Mind - the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought.

Brain - an organ of soft nervous tissue contained in the skull of vertebrates, functioning as the coordinating center of sensation and intellectual and nervous activity
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Sum1hugme
Metaphysical-1 { spirit-1 } mind/intellect/concepts are what the brain may access to various degrees of existence ex complex human brain [ nervous system } has more degrees of access to mind than does brain { nervous system }flatworm.

Brain { nervous system } = awareness ergo * *

Mind = intellectually conceptual pattern accessing of relationship ergo i

.................................Space( * ) i ( * )Space......................................
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@ebuc
Are you implying that concepts exist independently of a rational being and that thinking person's simply access them?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Sum1hugme
Are you implying that concepts exist independently of a rational being and that thinking person's simply access them?
Yes, but understand that concepts are not occupied Space nor are they a non-occupied Space.

Concepts of Space or not a Space, occupied or not.  So there are three very distinct catagories in the Cosmic Trinary Outline.

Are you able to understand, comprehend and repeat to me, those three primary catagories of existence?