What if? - The Purge

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 11
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
What if? 

Its a popular question in all regards - whether that be historic, fictional, fantastic, or any other category of life. The question of what if things were different, if this was true, if this wasn't true, are often discussed and debated among people. 

What if the Purge was real?

First of all, let's just take the movie's logic, that some homicidal party took over the government and started the purge, the first one happening March 21st, 2021 at 7pm. What would you do? What do you think people would do in general? Do you think that the movie have an at all accurate interpretation of what would happen if people had no law to answer to? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, I should explain what the purge is exactly, maybe someone hasn't heard of it?

The purge is one night where all crime is legal except for killing politicians. The focus of the purge is to let everyone rampage and have a feel of catharsis that way crime is lowered the rest of the year, or at least that's the justification the government tells the people in the movies. A hidden goal of the purge is to kill off poorer people to save the government money in caring for people. Now, I don't even think these would necessarily work, but its more about what if, then if it's true or not.

So the rules officially for this little scenario: Starting at March 21st, 2021 - 7 pm all crimes are legal, except for killing governmental politicians, the movie happens in America, but substitute that for whatever country you live in. The purge ends at 7 am on March 22nd 2021, so 12 hours. A secret rule is that their are roaming bands of the military barging into apartments and mowing people down, usually in the poorer parts of towns first.

A couple of basic questions:
What would you do if you were in this situation?
How do you thin People in general would act here?
How accurate or inaccurate do you think the movies were at judging people's behaviors during the purge?
How do you think this would affect America (substitute America with the country you live in) in general?
How do you think this would affect the world in general?
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
You could probably kill 10 maybe 20 people during the year and then simply put em out on purge day for collection. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Imagine if shlt happens one day and like you kill someone, then you remember  that the Purge starts in like four days time . Phew.     
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
If the police discovered the guy was killed before purge, you'd still be arrested....
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Anddddddddd you have your time wrong. 
The purge ends at 6.00 am March the 22nd not 7am ya silly duffer.  

I'd Make A fake START PURGE and END PURGE siren.

Imagine Getting shot at 7.01am.  

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Theweakeredge
That's a lot of autopsies.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I mean... it's supposed to be 12 hours no? Then it would end at 7am.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Theweakeredge
Shhhhhhhh.  It finishes at 6am.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I never saw the movies- the premise seemed so silly.  I think escape to a more sensible country would be the best option since neither murdering others or being murdered by others sounds like much fun.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
Best to hide somewhere quiet and remote....You never know who actually thinks that you are an arsehole.
Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
I would move like the other dude said