MBTI personality types...

Author: MisterChris

Total: 44
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
Also, for what it's worth, there's an additional letter that's been appended to the end of the other four in the longer form tests. It's either an A or a T, Assertive or Turbulent. I'm personally very strongly Assertive, so my full readout would be ISTP-A.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@whiteflame
Interesting, I would expect most debaters to have the NT (intuitive, thinking) traits. Sounds like you like the concrete a lot more than the abstract
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@MisterChris
Looks like I'm an ENTJ, although I recall taking this some time ago while still working full-time, and I think it was ENFJ then. Even now, I just barely tip to thinking from feeling, so, apparently, I'm in transition. I've been around long enough to think with reasonable confidence that this is a valid assessment
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
100% true. It's part of why I tend to focus in so hard on impacts. I think the more intuitive tend to tell better stories with their arguments and notice more faults automatically. I had to really train hard to get to that point, but it's not at all natural for me.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@MisterChris
I think the test is valid insofar as you use it correctly. Would I want to disqualify a potential job candidate because they aren't the right type? No. Would I use it as a professional diagnostics tool? No. I would use it for my own personal satisfaction. 

Keep in mind that any tool measuring personality will be flawed. 1) personality changes over time and 2) the traits described in these sort of classification systems are not all encompassing. Peoples' psychological makeups are unique due to life experience, how their parents raised them, etc. So, you might have 2 INTPs or ENFJs who are very different from each other. 

As for my type, I'll take the test and get back to you.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@MisterChris
INTP-T
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@blamonkey
INTP-T
Welcome to the club.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@blamonkey
Yupppp, I figured most of our debaters would be INTP/ENTP types. Whiteflame is an outlier
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@whiteflame
100% true. It's part of why I tend to focus in so hard on impacts. I think the more intuitive tend to tell better stories with their arguments and notice more faults automatically. I had to really train hard to get to that point, but it's not at all natural for me.

I see... Clearly you've done a good job learning how to pick out flaws in arguments. And by focusing on the concrete, you've got an advantage when it comes to policy topics I think. You can more easily see how things may actually play out in the "real world."

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
Yupppp, I figured most of our debaters would be INTP/ENTP types. Whiteflame is an outlier
I'm pretty much an outlier wherever I go. Scientists are almost always hardcore judging types (though IST is very common among that group), so I stand out among them. Debaters certainly tend to be more intuitive. So both groups that I would consider myself to be party to have a very different "normal" in their personalities than I occupy.

I see... Clearly you've done a good job learning how to pick out flaws in arguments. And by focusing on the concrete, you've got an advantage when it comes to policy topics I think. You can more easily see how things may actually play out in the "real world."
Yeah, though that also makes it more difficult to see anything that isn't concrete. Give me a philosophical topic and I'll play around on the shallow end of the pool, trying to link things to greater impacts. I've learned how to pick out flaws, but it's usually about pattern recognition - take me out of that pattern and I start to lose my grip real fast.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@whiteflame
Yeah, though that also makes it more difficult to see anything that isn't concrete. Give me a philosophical topic and I'll play around on the shallow end of the pool, trying to link things to greater impacts. I've learned how to pick out flaws, but it's usually about pattern recognition - take me out of that pattern and I start to lose my grip real fast.

Now I know what to challenge you on xD
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
Now I know what to challenge you on xD
*runs away in terror*
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->