Antitheist AMA

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 351
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
I'm not only an atheist, but an antitheist, I do see a lot of geniune misunderstanding about what this is, and I'll use Christopher Hitchens (A rather famous Antitheist) as the definition for myself, I feel this most accurately depicts how I see myself. 

"...My view is not just that there is no reason to believe that there is a deity, but that it is a good thing that is not the case."
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Lol y do you hate god? Y'all athetits just wanna be y'all's own god and sin all the time.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I knoow right? Obviously I just hate god because I want to be gay! I wanna sin and cheat my entire life! That's something I want to be, a thief and someone that has zero interpersonal relationships because - I want to pathologically lie.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Well at least you admit it. Why you so against something you don't even believe in? That's one I've heard before.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future.
-Penn Jillette 2005
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Its almost like arguing, "Why wouldn't you want the Joker to exist? Why are you so against him! He doesn't exist." Which... you know.... I don't think nearly any sane person would  want the Joker to exist, being an antitheist is like being an antijokerist. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
why do you need tp be anti theist?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I don't "need to be one" I simply am one. I feel that it is morally better that a god does not exist, I feel that a god would do more harm than good - and this especially applies to the incantations that theists believe in.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
i am antiatheist
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Admit you're not an atheist, you're a faitheist.
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
So in other words your anti accountability because a God that punishes murderers and rapists is harmful right? Justice is equivalent to harm in your book?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Did I ever say that? No, I did not, and my primary reason for being against a god's existence has nothing to do with the christian one, I would argue - that as the christian god is defined as all good, that any god governing this world, necessarily could not be the christian god, but that isn't even my point. My point is that any god would have a mind, and as people often know: Power corupts, and absolute power, corrupts absolutely. I think the greeks and romans got it right with their interpretation of what gods would be like. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
Power corupts, and absolute power, corrupts absolutely
Maybe for everyday folk like you but everyday folk isn’t the narrative is it? Your talking about God here.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Im talking about 'gods' there is a difference
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Theweakeredge
What do you think about how the Soviet Union handled those pesky God believers?

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
Okay, so you don’t have the same feelings towards monotheism?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Mopac
They did it incorrectly, I never said i wanted to end religion, I said that i thought that it was better that no god exists.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
No I have the feeling towards all god(s), I simply said 'gods' because it was was all inclusive. I have very specific problems with a lot of monotheistic god's.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
There are some people that have personalized views of God, what if that personalized view agrees with yours? Wouldn’t that be an exception to the rule?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
I mean? If they had the exact same moral claims as I did? With the exact same motivations and reasonings? Because as you know I have pretty specific moral views, I very much doubt that, but I feel that the net affect would be loss and not benefit, and again, absolute power absolutely corrupts, I don't know how I would exactly react, but I feel most any mind, even more intelligent minds, would be corrupted by such power that any god enjoys. That is why I say, "I feel" because I don't assert these things with enough confidence to defend that position precisely. Exactly because of things like that, if there was an antitheist scale I'd be... 6 or 7ish. where 10 is the most antitheist
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@Theweakeredge
Are you trying to say that you resist idolatry?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Conway
I mean... yes? I wouldn't worship much of anything. Its not my specific motivation for being an antitheist or anything else really, that's a completely independent thought for me
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Theweakeredge
Do you really believe"absolute power absolutely corrupts" is true? Why? I don't even think that's a real thing, more like something someone made up. I doubt it's possible to have absolute power, at least on a human level. So how would it be possible to know?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@janesix
You doubt its a real thing? Interesting, that say a lot more about you than it does me. You are correct in a manner of speaking, it's a philosophic ideal, and a fairly demonstrated one at that. Its based on a simple principle, the more access something has to something, they more they will want it, consume it, use it, etc.. That's basic stuff, but it logically concludes, that someone with power will want to use it, and speaking generally, its a lot easier to use things for your own gain then it is for others. Most gods wouldn't have the binding of evolution or the need for others. You can not believe it, but you haven't put an ounce of thought into it. Quite ironic.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
I feel that it is morally better that a god does not exist
Well morals simply can’t exist without God.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Theweakeredge
Have you thought about it this way, that those who are hungry for power are those that strive for it, and they are already"corrupted" or just plain selfish beings? The majority of us don't seek power, so the ones who want it get it.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Wrong... actually... .in fact, you can even have objective morals without god, do I buy that personally? Nope, but people claim as much. I don't think morality could ever be more than subjective. That doesn't mean that there are no morals, it just means that unlike you, I don't depend on someone else for them.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
Why because of some definition that you refused to support?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@janesix
I mean... you can assume that, but the other thing is also true... the more power you have, the more likely you are to become corrupt.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
No actually, because morality literally can't be objective, definitionally... which isn't the same thing. Also, no, the last time we got into this you never critiqued my syllogism beyond pedantics, and I gave you shot after shot to do so, and you didn't, so i got tired of wasting my time with you