What I realized

Author: Tarik

Total: 449
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Would you say, "breaking an immoral law is moral"?
Got any examples?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Would you say, "breaking an immoral law is moral"?
Got any examples?
Refusing to move to the back of the bus.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Refusing to move to the back of the bus.
Good question, I don’t know if I would call it moral but I don’t know if I would call it immoral either, maybe indifference.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Who do you think creates THE LAW?

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Who do you think creates THE LAW?
The politicians
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
For those of you that believe morality is subjective, a big reason I have a hard time grasping the concept is choice, assuming that it’s true, when comparing it to other unequivocally subjective things there’s a difference and that’s choice, take for example...
I find this post confusing, but I gather that you believe morality is objective and I’m betting you believe God is the source of that morality. So, isn’t using the word of God as your moral standard just as much of a choice?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
Yes, but that’s what I said originally.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
Then what is your issue with subjective morality?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
It doesn’t exist as far as I can tell.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
Morality doesn’t exist in any normal usage of the word. We’re talking about a set of principals that govern judgements regarding right vs. wrong. You could say it exists as concepts within our minds, but that’s it.

How is this an issue?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
Because I don’t view it as a concept within our mind, I view it as objectively proven, and if I’m wrong about this then that still doesn’t make subjective morality correct, it would make nihilism true by default.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
Morality is regulated by emotion which religion hijacks. You would need to be a Young-Earth Creationist to truely believe what you’re saying.
No one practices nihilism in terms of morality. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
Morality is regulated by emotion
If you truly believe this morality is inherently fallacious considering appeal of emotion is a fallacy, and like I’ve said many times before nihilism would by definition be true.

No one practices nihilism in terms of morality.
That’s not applicable to anything I’ve said, in terms of morality if there’s no proof it’s objective or subjective then the only logical conclusion to draw from that realization is it’s nonexistent ergo nihilism.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
If you truly believe this morality is inherently fallacious considering appeal of emotion is a fallacy, and like I’ve said many times before nihilism would by definition be true.
Either you don’t know what appealing to emotion is, or you’re a bad faith actor.
Please do a quick search of what the fallacy means.

That’s not applicable to anything I’ve said, in terms of morality if there’s no proof it’s objective or subjective then the only logical conclusion to draw from that realization is it’s nonexistent ergo nihilism.
No one practices the belief of nihilism in terms of morality. Is that better? 
How does one prove that morality exists apart from subjective/intersubjective opinion? 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
Either you don’t know what appealing to emotion is, or you’re a bad faith actor.
Please do a quick search of what the fallacy means.
I know that it’s one the many examples of fallacies, if you took your own advice and did a quick search you would find that appeal of emotion is a fallacy.

No one practices the belief of nihilism in terms of morality. Is that better?
How does one prove that morality exists apart from subjective/intersubjective opinion?
It doesn’t matter, because I never argued that either. As for the last question it’s through God but if God doesn’t exist neither does objective morality and if you’re an advocate of subjective morality you would have to prove it’s existence.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
Because I don’t view it as a concept within our mind, I view it as objectively proven, and if I’m wrong about this then that still doesn’t make subjective morality correct, it would make nihilism true by default.
Nihilism entails the rejection of all principals and values. There is nothing about accepting the subjective nature of morality that requires this, and in fact believing in a self described subjective moral system already makes one by definition, not a nihilist.

The question isn’t whether subjective morality is correct but whether morality is itself subjective. You say morality is objectively proven, how is that even possible? What does that even mean? For something to be objectively proven to be true it must be empirically demonstrable.  Can you demonstrate in any empirical sense the rightfulness or wrongfulness of any moral judgement?
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Tarik

"One day we will learn that the heart can never be totally right if the head is totally wrong. Only through the bringing together of head and heart--intelligence and goodness--shall man rise to a fulfillment of his true nature." -MLK Jr.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
Nihilism entails the rejection of all principals and values. There is nothing about accepting the subjective nature of morality that requires this, and in fact believing in a self described subjective moral system already makes one by definition, not a nihilist.
... Well duh I never denied this, but since there is no such thing as a subjective moral system the most logical position is nihilism (under the assumption that theism is false).

For something to be objectively proven to be true it must be empirically demonstrable. Can you demonstrate in any empirical sense the rightfulness or wrongfulness of any moral judgement?
Wouldn’t you say that once someone dies and goes to either heaven or hell that would empirically demonstrate that they were an objectively moral or immoral person? I would say so if that were to happen. Can I demonstrate this to you? Unfortunately I probably cannot so if you’re not convinced of objective morality then so be it but if you’re going to be convinced of subjective morality then just like objective morality it requires proof otherwise nihilism is true.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@FLRW
"One day we will learn that the heart can never be totally right if the head is totally wrong. Only through the bringing together of head and heart--intelligence and goodness--shall man rise to a fulfillment of his true nature." -MLK Jr.
That’s a nice little quote there by another theist born Michael King Jr.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
I know that it’s one the many examples of fallacies, if you took your own advice and did a quick search you would find that appeal of emotion is a fallacy.
But obviously you didn’t know what it meant and now you’re just acting in bad faith.

It doesn’t matter, because I never argued that either. As for the last question it’s through God but if God doesn’t exist neither does objective morality and if you’re an advocate of subjective morality you would have to prove it’s existence.
Morality by definition is the distinction between right and wrong, not what Is right and wrong (it’s situation). 
Morality requires moral agents to operate/exist. Religious scripture nor law are moral agents (though they can be helpful in their own rights). Do you agree?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
But obviously you didn’t know what it meant and now you’re just acting in bad faith.
Clearly it’s not that obvious if you can’t even explain yourself, and how am I acting in bad faith (another unproved assertion)?

Morality by definition is the distinction between right and wrong, not what Is right and wrong (it’s situation). Do you agree?
Yeah sure even though I don’t see the difference between those two definitions.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
Clearly it’s not that obvious if you can’t even explain yourself, and how am I acting in bad faith (another unproved assertion)?
“I know that it’s one the many examples of fallacies, if you took your own advice and did a quick search you would find that appeal of emotion is a fallacy.“ 

It being an example of a fallacy isn’t in dispute.  We were discussing you didn’t know what it meant. You’re clearly obfuscating because you know you’re wrong.

Yeah sure even though I don’t see the difference between those two definitions.
In other words a good or bad action in one circumstance is not the same in another. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
It being an example of a fallacy isn’t in dispute.  We were discussing you didn’t know what it meant. You’re clearly obfuscating because you know you’re wrong.
I’m not obfuscating, I wouldn’t have initiated the word if I didn’t know what it meant, what I want to know is what made you come to that conclusion? Because that’s a call you’ve yet to answer.

In other words a good or bad action in one circumstance is not the same in another.
I had a hard time following that, are you saying good circumstances are different from bad ones?

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
I’m not obfuscating, I wouldn’t have initiated the word if I didn’t know what it meant, what I want to know is what made you come to that conclusion? Because that’s a call you’ve yet to answer.
“Appeal to emotion or argumentum ad passiones ("argument from passion") is a logical fallacy characterized by the manipulation of the recipient's emotions in order to win an argument, especially in the absence of factual evidence.“

The piece you quoted “Morality is regulated by emotion” does not meet the requirements. Unless you consider it both an argument and emotionally manipulative.

I had a hard time following that, are you saying good circumstances are different from bad ones?
For example: Thou shalt not kill.
What if it was in self-defence? 
Can you see any problems with that commandment? 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
Unless you consider it both an argument and emotionally manipulative. 
I do

For example: Thou shalt not kill.
What if it was in self-defence?
Can you see any problems with that commandment?
I don’t know too many instances where murder as self defense is a necessary decision, considering there’s many ways to get the upper hand on an opponent without killing them but I hear what you’re saying, context matters in regards to morality which I agree but in order for that to be proven true there has to be some outside force other than humans that validates that belief otherwise there’s no case you can make for it other than an emotional (fallacious) one. 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
I do
Why do you consider “Morality is regulated by emotion” both an argument and emotionally manipulative? 

I don’t know too many instances where murder as self defense is a necessary decision,
Murder is a legal term (meaning the illegal killing of a person) while killing is not. 

considering there’s many ways to get the upper hand on an opponent without killing them but I hear what you’re saying, context matters in regards to morality which I agree but in order for that to be proven true there has to be some outside force other than humans that validates that belief otherwise there’s no case you can make for it other than an emotional (fallacious) one. 
How are emotions fallacious when it comes to morality? In everyday life we think of how ourselves and others will feel when making decisions, which all fall under morality. What is the value of morality without emotion? Humans are moral agents, not text. Do you talk to God directly?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
if you’re not convinced of objective morality then so be it but if you’re going to be convinced of subjective morality then just like objective morality it requires proof otherwise nihilism is true
First of all, nihilism isn’t a claim so saying “nihilism is true” is incoherent.

Second, I just explained to you how nihilism not only does not follow from belief in a subjective moral system but is incompatible with it. Do you not understand what I wrote on this?

Third, what do you mean by suggesting that one must prove subjective morality if they cannot prove objective morality? We have morality. That does not need to be proven, at least not in the context of this debate. We’re debating whether morality is objective or subjective.

Wouldn’t you say that once someone dies and goes to either heaven or hell that would empirically demonstrate that they were an objectively moral or immoral person? I would say so if that were to happen.
When we talk about demonstrating something it goes without saying that we are talking about doing so while we’re alive. But let’s set that aside...

No, an after life does not demonstrate objective morality. In fact the existence of God does not demonstrate this either. God does not solve any of the problems that objective moralists throw at subjective morality.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
Why do you consider “Morality is regulated by emotion” both an argument and emotionally manipulative? 
Because deeming something as “moral” is an argument, and since that argument is regulated by emotion than that’s what you’re attempting to appeal to which is manipulative.

How are emotions fallacious when it comes to morality? In everyday life we think of how ourselves and others will feel when making decisions, which all fall under morality. What is the value of morality without emotion? Humans are moral agents, not text. Do you talk to God directly?
I somewhat agree but before we go any further are you an atheist?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
First of all, nihilism isn’t a claim so saying “nihilism is true” is incoherent.
No, first of all truth isn’t a claim it’s reality (so much for incoherency).

Second, I just explained to you how nihilism not only does not follow from belief in a subjective moral system but is incompatible with it. Do you not understand what I wrote on this?
Second if you’re gonna accuse me of conflating nihilism with a subjective moral system then by all means quote me otherwise your claims are dismissed.

We have morality. That does not need to be proven, at least not in the context of this debate. We’re debating whether morality is objective or subjective.
Third yes it does need to be proven especially since we both have different views on the intrinsic nature of the word.

When we talk about demonstrating something it goes without saying that we are talking about doing so while we’re alive. But let’s set that aside...
Speak for yourself on that one but okay.

God does not solve any of the problems that objective moralists throw at subjective morality.
This makes no sense, morality is only one of the two objective of subjective so to say “objective moralists throw at subjective morality” is just unsound because it implies that both are the case and it’s not. But God does solve problems by implementing justice in the after life, all good people go to heaven and all bad/evil people go to hell, sounds pretty basic and fair to me.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
Because deeming something as “moral” is an argument,
What was the something I was deeming moral?

and since that argument is regulated by emotion than that’s what you’re attempting to appeal to which is manipulative.
You could consider all communication manipulative with that line of logic, which I don’t think you would have concluded otherwise. 
I consider this bad faith.

I somewhat agree but before we go any further are you an atheist?
Yeah I’m an atheist.