Why are there so many sheep in this world?

Author: Tradesecret

Total: 44
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Why are there so many sheep in this world?

I am assuming that by "sheep" you mean those so easily led and believe the first thing they are told without any research of their own;  and not "sheep" in the sense of a church flock? ......... that coincidently have been doing exactly the same for millennia.

So, in your own opinion, why are there so many "sheep"?

Why is there no serious critical thinking any more?

What is your opinion?  And I believe there is much critical thinking to be seen and heard in this day of the  WWW, but it is slowly being closed down / cancelled.

Why is it that something is said - repeated and then suddenly it is gospel and you are not allowed or permitted to speak against it? 

Well you are ' allowed ' but don't expect to be liked for your opinions or criticism of those that you have opinions about and are criticising.  

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
There are sheep today that still believe Fauci cares only on the basis of Orangeman/Foxnews bad.

Facts never matter to a sheep.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Greyparrot
Facts never matter to a sheep.

A+1

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Hi stephen you must be bored - finding old topics of mine. I assume bored over trolling. 

Still thanks for the question.

Why? I don’t know. I assume it is because society is more and more attuned to just accepting the noise of the day. Unable to tune out the good from the bad. This I suspect arises because schools don’t teach logic anymore. A book I have mentioned before titled “how to read a book” by Mortimer Adler is worth reading if you are interested. You can download a PDF. 

Cancelation is the tune of the say. I find it tedious more than anything else. Unfortunately because we have so many sheep, there is no real objective or critical thinking. 

I suspect in many ways that you and I are more in common than either of us will admit. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Tradesecret
We just had 5 years of "whataboutTrumpism" where every person in the world stopped critically thinking about every problem in the world and ascribed it to something other than themselves. America deserves the consequences for that.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Tradesecret
How do you know you’re not one of them?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Ramshutu
That's easy. If you are looking for or receiving affirmation, then you are a sheep to some extent, depending on the level of attention seeking.

Facebook, Tiktok, Twitter has exploited many a sheep.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Hi stephen you must be bored - finding old topics of mine. I assume bored over trolling. 

Bored?  Why ever would you say that?  Not that I have to explain my moves to you, but;   I happened to be in the Politics sub forum and your thread , unusually, wasn't that far down the list.  I seen the word "sheep" in your title and thought you may have come to some kind of awakening , with you being a fully qualified Pastor and Chaplain that ministers to the lords flock.   Its that simple. Surely you see the connection. 

So, in your own opinion, why are there so many "sheep"?

Why? I don’t know.
Well it seems to me that following governments blindly and having blind faith in one's leaders and their promises, is not too far from the "sheep"  that  have blind faith in god, Jesus, and church elders such as Pastor and Priests and words written in the bible by authors unknown.   With only the slight difference that sometimes governments and their members can be held to account. And god cannot. But blindly he is followed anyway. As are those that claim to have seen Jesus and spoke with him. 

This I suspect arises because schools don’t teach logic anymore.

Ok, so what is the logic in that which you tutor university students?

A book I have mentioned before titled “how to read a book” by Mortimer Adler

I have recommendation for you too.  The New Testament, author unknown. I am sure that with a careful reading that  you and your university students will find that on the surface it  is nothing less than what is promised by governments today, without, of course,  the over the top promise of everlasting life but only if you believe in them.  But I am sure that a politician/government one day will edge this into their manifesto. Its not as if it hasn't been done before , is it?

In my own opinion, the people/sheep of the  world are being trained from an early age  or coerce in older age into becoming totally reliant on technology to provide for the simplest of things in their daily lives.
   Such as when cash is obsolete and everything is  online;  banking and shopping etc.  I wonder if  there will ever be  a "sheep"  to wake up and realise  how they are being led back into times ancient, of ignorance and illiteracy, when Pastor and Priests had full and total control over the minds  of the population and their everyday lives?

It will only take a flick of the switch and there we will be, back to the year dot, no food to be had and no denarii to buy it with if there was , and  with new kinds of  pastors and priests in full control of the wheel telling us what is good for us and  how to think, what we can have, when we can have it

I suspect in many ways that you and I are more in common than either of us will admit. 

I don't know. If I   was to ever recognise any commonality between us, I am sure I would have recognised it by now and pointed it out. Besides, I  am sure that I must  have a lot of political views and opinions that are as common to millions of  others so maybe that could include you too. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
So if not bored, trolling. Ok. 

My view on the current modern church and people in mainstream society are not so far removed. I do think that the majority of people who call themselves Christians probably fall into the sheep category. Sheep in the context of this topic but I’m not commenting about the sheep in a church context. 

I’m not currently teaching or working at all. I have been basically retired until my health gets better.  But thanks for asking. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Nonetheless.......It was an ill thought out thread that would always come back to bite you on the butt.

The Christian flock and all that......Baaaaaaa.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

trolling

Nope.  But I see an old pattern of yours emerging here. Is this where you begin to complain of being a victim?? 

My view on the current modern church and people in mainstream society are not so far removed.

Well I have said as much above, haven't I?  I said, they are both sheep that follow blindly their leaders fed on a diet of promises. They  never have been far removed at all, Reverend.  And  if you have read any ancient history apart from the bible, it is not hard to point out they are both about control for the minds of the masses. Besides , I am of the opinion the most people understood that the priesthood in ancient times and almost up to date were the government. 

I do think that the majority of people who call themselves Christians probably fall into the sheep category.

Of course they do.   For one, they believe without question things that simply go against natural law  and believe in the  promised of tickets to heaven and everlasting life.

[ I will only be talking about ] Sheep in the context of this topic but I’m not commenting about the sheep in a church context. 

But you do agree, they are non-the-less, both "sheep".

This I suspect arises because schools don’t teach logic anymore.

Ok, so what is the logic in that which you tutor university students?

I’m not currently teaching or working at all.  I have been basically retired until my health gets better.

Sounds like you are hoping to shed an old skin, Reverend. How coincidental. That happened just recently to a `new` member here. Although such a busy and colourful past such as yours will be hard to shake. I mean, so much crammed into ones daily life, is it any wonder that you are recovering from an illness. #140 and this on top of family and the family farm. 

But I suppose you will be telling us next that you will emerge from your semi sick bed like a new moth from its cocoon after having all this time on your hands to think and ponder  since your rest-bite from such a busy,busy life style;   and that you  will want to put your past comments about your  busy busy lifestyle all behind you.

However, Reverend, sick or not, you will still have all those qualifications and high education taught to you by those " academics, scholars, and priests and fathers from the Orthodox Church", won't you? And  illness will never erase those , will they?  And so  this shouldn't at all give you any  reason not tell us what logic it was that you once tutored those students, is there, Reverend? 

You are still a man of the cloth aren't you? That ministers to your countries Defence Force? Not that it matters. You still believe the unbelievable  whatever your standing.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Lol @ your comical attempts at humour. 

Your presumptions about christians is legendary.  And how little you know or understand. We don’t believe out of some misguided view about heaven or punishment for wrong but out of a love and thankfulness for Gods grace and mercy. 

Do you really think that your infantile and futile attempts at ridicule bother me? I use your words as a pinup testimony of how atheists debate. You are the laughing stock of many a college lunchroom.  This how an atheist debates. He uses ad hominem language.  And he thinks this wins the argument. 

As for me doing anything. You think. Simply none of your business. You are not even a has been. You are a never was. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

Your presumptions about christians is legendary.

Are they?  Is it not a fact that the Christian religion is nothing more than  faith based? 

And how little you know or understand.

Its always the nonbeliever or simply anyone else but yourselves that doesn't understand., isn't it? 

We don’t believe out of some misguided view about heaven or punishment for wrong but out of a love and thankfulness for Gods grace and mercy. 

A god that you simply believe to exist on faith alone and without facts.  

But it is the "logic" that you have mentioned and have been tutoring your students on,  is what I asked you about.  In what sense  "logic" were you tutoring these "sheep"?

Do you really think that your infantile and futile attempts at ridicule bother me?

Do you feel ridiculed?  I don't see why, or is this just as I predicted above and that this will be your second attempt at claiming to be being victimised.

I use your words as a pinup testimony of how atheists debate.

Well I am on about "sheep" in both camps as per your thread and its title, Or have you forgotten already the title of your own thread, concerning there being -       "so many sheep in the world", <<<< and this coming from one of the greatest sheep on the planet.

You are the laughing stock of many a college lunchroom.

I am?  Strange that I have never felt that myself , isn't it.

This how an atheist debates. He uses ad hominem language.

And you can show me where on this thread that I have used  ad hominem language towards you or anyone? 

You are not even a has been. You are a never was. 

That will be the " ad hominem" language you mentioned about , I take it.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Lol at your feigned attempts at ignorance.