N*g*er

Author: Wagyu

Total: 46
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
I don’t think you’re going to suggest we stop teaching our history of racism too.
If you teach some people they were oppressed by other people, doesn't that promote resentment (racism)?

For example,

If you teach people that, historically, rich land-owners extracted value from their land-ownership by exploiting captive labor, wouldn't that promote resentment of people (and institutions) who have inherited that extracted value via familial (and institutional) happenstance?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
I’m talking about judging the level of theft with what one individual has to say about it. If I break into someone’s house and steal a million dollars, I am not considered any less dangerous or heinous because the guy who’s house it was turned out to have a billion dollars stashed away somewhere and didn’t care.
The example remains exemplary.

It doesn't matter how much the thief values the goods taken.

The infraction is measured purely by the value the owner places on the goods taken.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
If you teach people that, historically, rich land-owners extracted value from their land-ownership by exploiting captive labor, wouldn't that promote resentment of people (and institutions) who have inherited that extracted value via familial (and institutional) happenstance?
Yes. So what is the fix for this problem? Do we;
A) pretend it didn’t happen
B) attempt to make amends
C) other

?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
The infraction is measured purely by the value the ownerplaces on the goods taken.
No, it’s not. If you steal $100 out of a cash register, the police don’t ask the store owner how much they value that $100.

An act of theft can in some circumstances be considered more or less heinous based of the rightful owners self imposed value, but that is generally not how we go about passing judgment (personal or thorough legal processes) on that individual, especially when the victims of said crime have not even been born yet.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
Yes, yes it is. If you steal $100 out of a cash register, and the store owner decides not to report the event, the police don’t ask any questions at all.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
Yes. So what is the fix for this problem? Do we;
A) pretend it didn’t happen
B) attempt to make amends
C) other
We make sure to pin the blame on people who aren't responsible for the situation and are powerless to fix it.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
Yes, yes it is. If you steal $100 out of a cash register, and the store owner decides not to report the event, the police don’t ask any questions at all.
Of course not, because theft requires the absence of consent which only the owner can attest to. That's a legal argument, which has nothing to do with this conversation. We're talking about assessing the value of that which is stolen. If the owner does press charges then we're back to my point - he doesn't get to decide how much that $100 is worth.

We make sure to pin the blame on people who aren't responsible for the situation and are powerless to fix it.
Based on your responses thus far including this one I'll take that as; (A)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
Based on your responses thus far including this one I'll take that as; (A)
I thought it was more than obvious I was selecting your option "(C)".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
he doesn't get to decide how much that $100 is worth.
That's merely tautological.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
It wasn't a serious response, and you previously suggested that teaching our kids about the history of racism would serve to promote racism. Seems like a logical inference to me.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
It wasn't a serious response, and you previously suggested that teaching our kids about the history of racism would serve to promote racism. Seems like a logical inference to me.
Blaming the wrong people is probably worse than blaming nobody, wouldn't you agree?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
Blaming the wrong people is probably worse than blaming nobody, wouldn't you agree?
Agreed. I fail to understand how this is relevant.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
Blaming the wrong people is probably worse than blaming nobody, wouldn't you agree?
Agreed. I fail to understand how this is relevant.
PRAXIS.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
PRAXIS
?

75 days later

3RU7AL
3RU7AL