Dungeons and Dragons OOC Chat

Author: drafterman

Total: 85
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Diamonds are still rare and we really dont need money THAT much. Can identify detect prices/worth? What else can we pick thats useful?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Earth
only the potions have potential and being useful in the near future, rather than the distant imo.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
(we really dont need money THAT much)

Until we actually do really need it that much. As it stands we still need money to silver weapons, and it's generally a safe idea to have a decent buffer. 

The diamonds are at best prolly going to be valued in the realm of what the gold is worth. But even if, the spellcasters who would  be using them, should have focuses that forego the need for material components. 

Trying to gauge worth would be worth a try. But like i said, I can't imagine them being anymore than negligibly more valuable than just taking the 500 or so gold straight up. The gold also provides flexibility, and leaves a buffer in case we encounter a magic shop, bookstore, etc. where we would absolutely regret not having it. 

Let's say the diamonds and dust are valued at the same 500 or so mark. We aren't going to get the entirety of the amount it would be "worth" on sale if we were to be in need of gp and decide to sell them. We'd at best fmpov get 75-80% of that, if its a good persuasion roll, so around 350-400gp by my rough estimation at best. But we're likely starting at 50% total value on sale as a starting point, or 250gp.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
And we only wanna take the potions if they're identified. Be wary about choices like this, there is usually an option where you get burned, and an option where you make better than by picking the middle option. I think the EP/GP is the middle ground.

The potions, being 12, seems like we'd get burned. Healing potions, the cheapest magical potion, are 100gp each in value/to buy. But these arent healing potions, else they would've been recognized as such as they have been before. If magical, they're a type of potion(s) more expensive than healing, greater healing, etc. potions that are easily recognizable. 

So were talking well beyond a value of 1200 minimal if they're magical and not a trick. That is absurdly above the level of the middle ground of the gold and electrum. For a reward, given the relative or estimated relative values of the other items, that is just sus AF and seems like bait. 

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
If the Diamonds aren't worth much, then maybe we can get something else. We need to cast Identify on everything though.

But its stupid to act we can't plan out something thats only 5 levels away.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
You are misunderstanding spell levels. You do not get 9th level spells, until at least, character level 15-16. This isnt something that's "5 levels away" it's something we will not hit this game, as it's levels 1-10. As in, True Resurrect will remain out of our capabilities.

Now that I have the core books and have read through them, I can see im probably wrong about being able to save Doru or Ismarck. We can hope, but most revive spells at lower levels have very limited scope and are only effective a very limited amount of time post death 😢.

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
Well shit. Not sure if Doru or Ismark can be saved then.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
Well shit. Not sure if Doru or Ismark can be saved then

My thoughts exactly in the post i edited. Sad, Im still holdimg out hope maybe we find something or someone that makes it possible. A scroll of True Ressurect or Wish would itself be very unlikely to even work too. Any such scroll would be out of regular capabilities. Which means you gotta pass a DC of 10+the spells level. So basically, casting True Ressurect or Wish would require a success on a DC 19 throw. Even with modifiers, that's still fmpov needing to roll at best a 15+ on 1d20 fmpov. So a 25% or less chance of success 😐
Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
Uuuuuuh? Maybe Wish can save us?
Still need to chat with high priests and shit.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Woops about a 1lb. gold is 50gp. 3 of the things here seem sus as to value tbh 😓

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Here is some help.

Reminder: This module goes to level 10. The highest level spell anyone will have access to natively is level 5.

List of Spells with costly/consumed Material components:

Level 1 Spells 
  • Chromatic Orb - Diamond - 50gp - Not Consumed
  • Identify - Pearl - 100gp - Not Consumed*
  • Find Familiar - Charcoal, Incense, Herbs - 10gp - Consumed
  • Ceremony - Silver Powder - 25gp - Consumed
Level 2 Spells
  • Detect Thoughts - 1 copper piece - 1cp - Not Consumed
  • Gentle Repose - 2 copper pieces - 1cp - Not Consumed
  • Augury - Marked Sticks or Bones - 25gp - Not Consumed
  • Warding Bond - 2 platinum rings - 50gp/ea. - Not Consumed
  • Arcane Lock - Gold dust - 25gp - Consumed
  • Magic Mouth - Jade dust - 10gp - Consumed
  • Continual Flame - Ruby Dust - 50gp - Consumed
Level 3 Spells
  • Clairvoyance - Glass eye or Jeweled Horn - 100gp - Not Consumed
  • Glyph of Warding - Diamond Dust - 200gp - Consumed
  • Nondetection - Diamond Dust - 25gp - Consumed
  • Revivify - Diamonds - 300gp - Consumed
  • Magic Circle - Silver and iron, powdered - 100gp - Consumed
Level 4 Spells
  • Leomund's Secret Chest - Exquisite Chest w/ tiny replica - 5,000gp and 50gp, respectively - Not Consumed
  • Stoneskin - Diamond Dust - 100gp - Consumed
  • Divination - Appropriate sacrificial offering - 25gp - COnsumed
Level 5 Spells
  • Scrying - Focus - 1,000gp - Not consumed
  • Steel Wind Strike - Melee Weapon - 1sp- Not Consumed
  • Infernal Calling - Ruby - 999gp - Not Consumed
  • Dawn - Sunburst Pendant - 100gp - Not Consumed
  • Awaken - Agate - 1,000gp - Consumed
  • Teleportation Circle - Chalks, inks infused with precious gems - 50gp - Consumed
  • Raise Dead - Diamond - 500gp - Consumed
  • Greater Restoration - Diamond Dust - 100gp - Consumed
  • Hallow - Herbs, Oils, and Incense - 1,000gp - Consumed
  • Planar Binding - Jewel - 1,000gp - Consumed
For the purposes of our campaign, we'll say that each of the diamonds/bag of diamond dust are worth 100gp and diamonds and diamond dust can be used interchangeably for the purposes of spell components.

* - I forgot about the material requirement for identify when I allowed you guys to start using is. So I've basically been treating it as if you have the pearl handy.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
can I get a longbow and arrows while we are in the Vistini camp?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If you have gold you can probably buy them.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
thought it might be useful to have the ability to range attack.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
You can ask around.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
very good, make it so #1
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@buddamoose @thedredpriateroberts @kindertina @earth 
There doesn't seem any way around it. If we want silver weapons we are going to have to take the time to get them done. That means we won't have them in time for the festival tomorrow. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
right
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
if you think it would be helpful, grab me missile weapon of some kind, not really sure if it's worth the coin or not.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(nothing precludes you from using ur double attack for ranged weapons from what i can see, so having it handy wouldn't be a bad idea. Wish i had longbow proficiency 😂. 

Longbows are 50gp. I dont really care if you get one. But just so you know, this will be 300gp+ spent on you Mr. "I don't think gold is gonna be very useful". Gonna keep giving you shit 😉. Gods help you if you need a healing pot used on you 😂. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
shop keepers might have stuff not "over the counter" or readily displayed for the general public ;)   If they are the only game around they may also be the black market.  One of the problems with unique weapons or ones with unique properties is that they may still belong to someone hehehe.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
we need to name drop more, while we got a reward for saving the dudes child his name and influence probably has some weight as well
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(outside this game, so excited, just ordered Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat. Im a simple man, I see a dragon based adventure, i buy the dragon-based adventure 😂. 

It's conveniently also the only one my friend who binged streams on the Wizards website didn't watch 😂. He agreed to DM Waterdeep after though, but from what I hear the adventure(DQ+Tia) as a whole takes a good long time to play through 🔥.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@kindertina
so what's the plan, what's next?  vampires?  let's make some best laid plans of mice and men.

we should go at dawn, get hammers etc from the shop, open windows, maybe even holes in the walls etc to let in as much light as possible, even though the chronic fog blocks a lot of it out.

my kingdom for a super soaker 2000 with holy water, sigh.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
It takes a day to make holy water no? So we won't have it tomorrow, hence why I wanted to buy some, but eh, we have a couple people that can do radiant to prevent the regen. 

This is assuming the vampires are still there. Remember, they wanted to bones taken out of the tomb specifically so they could attack. I wouldn't be surprised if they left Vallaki because we got them saints bones back, and thus they cant attack even if they want to, as them bones prevent it. Heck they might prevent undead presences in the city period.

But yeah,e ahould long rest, let Merlin change his spells and give lux the opportunity to copy invisibility to his spell book.