Total: 11
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
What if god directly contacted you and proved they were god but told you that the only way you can stay in touch and experience your privileges (which may include getting into the heaven) is if you never talked about the god to others and kept it a secret, perhaps even masquerading as an atheist or at least agnostic?

Would you lie to everyone you knew?
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@RationalMadman
What if god directly contacted you and proved they were god but told you that the only way you can stay in touch and experience your privileges (which may include getting into the heaven) is if you never talked about the god to others and kept it a secret, perhaps even masquerading as an atheist or at least agnostic?

Is keeping quiet about something personal you know of considered lying? most people don't give a fig about what others believe, I've learned that a long time ago. Makes me wonder why I share anything anymore lol.
Nothing I see wrong here with obtaining something special and then keeping it that way. But in all honesty, the question of the OP seems kinda strange. What are you trying to discover here?

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
No.

Why in the right mind would a god do this? I mean, if this is the god, then I would rather not believe in it.

The same way I believe that Fascist dictatorships exist, but I choose to not believe in them.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I keep my religion to myself most days. Not a big request.
Soluminsanis
Debates: 1
Soluminsanis
The question itself is incoherent. 

Why would God, the locus and grounding of all truth command someone to lie?

Why would God, the One who created man to glorify and love Him command His existence be kept secret? 

I might respond by saying what is the smell of blue? 

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi

This pretty much describes my sex life.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@RatMan

It would be the same old story either way.

Some would believe and some wouldn't.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
It's sort of impossible to choose not to believe in something that is known to exist..... You can choose to say that you don't believe.....But that doesn't alter the fact that you actually know that it does exist.

And if something cannot be proven to exist, then it's a similar dilemma....You can choose to say that you believe....But that doesn't alter the fact that you don't actually know if something exists

Belief is a really sketchy word when it comes to being honest.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Soluminsanis
Why wouldn't he/she/they do so? God is not necessarily the histrionic narcissist that the Abrahamic religions make 'him' out to be.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
What if god directly contacted you and proved they were god
So, basically GNOSTICISM.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
Basically, you are a gnostic theist in this scenario, yes.