Another one of my arguments for God's existence

Author: Soluminsanis

Total: 105
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
We make up the meanings of classifications....Just the same.

And we can also make up distinctions, great or small.

Once again you are confusing brain and book.
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
We wouldn’t do that unless theirs truth to it, so what’s your point?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
That is my point.

We do do it.

Because we have a reason for doing it.

WE DO IT.......Says it all, in a nut shell.

None of IT is plucked out of thin air and then magically transcribed to a dictionary.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
So what? Like really what’s your point? Regardless of whatever labels we make the narrative originally was that they’re all the same and that’s not true that’s why I said to refer to a dictionary because even if humans choose the labels to put in a dictionary we choose different ones to describe different things like objectivity and subjectivity.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
we choose different ones to describe different things like objectivity and subjectivity.
We also describe things like bigfootlochnessspacealiens, that doesn't make them true.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
I don't need to...Because you can't find a recipe in a dictionary.....You answered the question.
Great point.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Actually we don’t
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Actually we don’t
Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell which noun a participial phrase is modifying. In fact, the noun that it is intended to modify may not be stated in the sentence.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
bigfootlochnessspacealiens
We don’t describe this.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@drafterman
P1. A command is only intelligible if received from a higher authority.  (i.e. a Private in the military commanding a General is unintelligible)
False.
Excellent analysis.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Lexicography is divided into two separate but equally important groups:

• Practical lexicography is the art or craft of compiling, writing and editing dictionaries.
  • Theoretical lexicography is the scholarly discipline of analyzing and describing the semantic, syntagmatic, and paradigmatic relationships within the lexicon (vocabulary) of a language, developing theories of dictionary components and structures linking the data in dictionaries, the needs for information by users in specific types of situations, and how users may best access the data incorporated in printed and electronic dictionaries. This is sometimes referred to as 'metalexicography'.
There is some disagreement on the definition of lexicology, as distinct from lexicography. Some use "lexicology" as a synonym for theoretical lexicography; others use it to mean a branch of linguistics pertaining to the inventory of words in a particular language. [**]
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
...Good to know

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Soluminsanis
And therein lies the problem with moral subjectivism.

Let's say my standard says there is no possible world where torturing infants for fun is morally acceptable. 

Let's say another person's standard is that it is totally acceptable to torture infants for fun. 

Which of those two standards is right?
There is no such thing as a “right standard”. The standard is the very thing we use to measure a claim against in order to tell if it is right or wrong.

If I claim “the earth is round”, the standard is reality. Reality being the standard is what defines the word objective.

“Torturing babies for fun” has no such  basis in reality to compare it to for accuracy, so it cannot be objectively right or wrong. It can only be right or wrong in accordance with our subjectively chosen standard.

I subjectively choose the principals of less harm and fairness for my standard. You subjectively choose the word of god as yours. We’re no different in this regard.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
If I claim “the earth is round”, the standard is reality.
ECCENTRIC OBLATE SPHEROID. [**]
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Soluminsanis
P1. A command is only intelligible if received from a higher authority.  (i.e. a Private in the military commanding a General is unintelligible)
I reject this premise immediately. A private giving a general an order (moral or otherwise) might not be obeyed but that doesn't mean he was not intelligible. Commands are intelligible or not purely based on the ability of one actor to communicate it to another. Take a dog owner whose pet demands to go for walkies. The command (takeme for walkies) and the consequences (or I'll mess on your most expensive shoes) is implicit if not explicit. The dog is not a higher authority but the owner would be best served by capitulating... if we assume the goal of maintaining a tidy home and the health of one's pets.