What (dis)qualifies a person as being an actual member of a religious group?

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 45
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@BrotherDThomas
You are certainly not a Christian, so I suggest you go to the church and ask how to be a Christian rather than pretending to have knowledge on the subject.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Mopac

Mopac, the running away pseudo-christian from actual biblical axioms,

What part of the Bible axioms that I gave you didn't you understand? I am TRUE Christian, whereas you are a pseudo-christian at best, understood?  I follow ALL of the Bible, whereas as shown ad infinitum in my past posts to you, you do not, and as you are doing right now, you run away from complete Bible FACTS with once again child like statements!

I don't have to "pretend" to have more Biblical knowledge than you will ever have, and this is because of what knowledge I gave you in my post #30 above, YOU ARE RUNNING AWAY FROM IT AS USUAL! LOL!

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN THAT HAS JUST A MODICUM OF MORE BIBLE INTELLECT THAT MOPAC WILL BE ...? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Perhaps you'd be better off learning from the church, because when left to your own interpretation you adopt heretical beliefs.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4
But hey...What else you going to do on a Sunday.....Religious club, cycling club, rambling club etc etc etc.....All brings Monday
Strip Club, remember that God created Man in his image and Women from his Fleshlight.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I practice joining multiple religious groups hastily.
So like, if I'm on my "death bed" with minutes to live an I know this some how.  I will spend one minute of my five to join as many religious   groups as I can.  
It starts like this. 
I except Jesus Christ as my saviour.
Allah akbar.  
Ommmmm. 
I've always believed in you Zenu. 
So on and so on. 
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beeeeee.
You know what I mean. 
Multi group joining in a minute.
A razor if you will

If I'm met by one of these gods upon my death I am just going to flat out lie. 
Of course I believed in you god.  

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Yep, not forgetting Strip Clubs.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Can tell fact from fiction though.

And true enough, it is all the same to me....A popular Middle Eastern GOD hypothesis, variously embellished.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
You don't really know anything.
Mopac
Mopac
Orthodoxy is about loving The Truth, and living in synergy with The Truth. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
I don't need to know the intricacies of Orthodoxy or those of any other theistic variation of the Abrahamic GOD hypothesis.

Who swings the sweeter incense or wears the fanciest robes or chants the the most tuneful chants or paints the most colourful icons, doesn't interest me in the same why that it is important to you.

You either believe in a GOD or you don't....Irrespective of the variously available, rituals and embellishments....It's either the same GOD for everyone, or it isn't a GOD at all.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
The Lord surely is the God of all. 

And if orthodoxy was simply incense, fancy robes, and chants, I wouldn't be interested in it. It isn't about the rituals and embellishments. That isn't what our faith is about.

The Christian walk is far more about what goes on internally than what goes on externally. One of the purposes of the liturgy is to make visible what is invisible. How can I explain that?

But an orthodox liturgy will show you the proper approach one should have before God in worship and in prayer. Yes, it is something passed down for the edification of the church. 

There is a purpose behind everything. From what the clergy wear, to the actions being done, the color schemes of everything, the numbers we use, etc. 

We like to use symbols. We use typology to teach the faith. We use parables. Why though?

Everything about orthodoxy is a mystery to be experienced. It isn't about having a bunch of head knowledge, vain ritualism, or having the most exotic incense. It is a way of life that we take  wherever we are, whether with others or in private.

The Eternal Way of Truth is the religion we teach, and it is true religion. It is primordial religion. There never has been a time when there wasn't true religion, because true religion was created by God, not man. 

Certainly, we have stories we use, texts we draw from to teach. We have The Holy Tradition, which is the faith itself, and we have customs. Even customs that vary among the nations. We have a culture, certainly. Humans are cultural creatures, and there is a reason for all these things. Passing down what is important. The faith isn't simply for the educated elite. It is for everyone, even the simple. The illiterate. Children. It is a faith that anyone can come to know and experience, regardless of their sophistication.

How does one communicate The Uncreated and Eternal God, The Ultimate Reality through the medium of that which is temporal, created, and ultimately unreal? It is an absurd task. It isn't man that communicates God, God reveals Himself in the mystery. It's very personal. No one can do the work for somebody else. I can not make anyone's heart pure to see God. I can not abide in The Way for someone else. To be a Christian, one must take the cup of suffering in front of them and drink it themselves. One must pick up their own cross, and carry it.

The Orthodox Catholic Church is the original church, founded by Christ Himself, passed down from the apostles through the bishops, being the oldest and longest lasting continuous international organization in world history. The gates of hell will not overcome the church.

So who are these "Christians" outside the church? They are the descendents of those who were kicked out of the church. If they follow after those who were kicked out of the church, how can they be in it? If they are not in the church, how can they be Christian?

The symbol of faith, the very ancient creed of the church expressly makes the church an object of faith. "I believe in One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church."

What that makes very clear is that denominationalism is a heresy. Orthodox Christianity is not a denomination of Christianity, IT IS Christianity. 

There is nothing about God that is a hypothesis. God is the surest there is. If you want to be confused by the many so called "Abrahamic religions" as the academics say, at least don't be confused by Christianity. There is only Orthodox Christianity. Nothing else calling itself Christian can be properly said to be so. You learn to spot counterfeits by studying the real thing, not by studying counterfeits.

FLRW
FLRW
“The word 'God' is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this.”

Albert Einstein 1954

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Mopac

Mopac,

Whoops again!  You forgot to address the following that you RAN AWAY from THREE TIMES NOW in my post #30 to you, don't you realize the membership is watching you and Jesus too? (Hebrews 4:13) Tsk, tsk, how shameful can you be? :(.

To save you time, I have given you the main point of my said post to answer below:

"Mopac, you are correct in accepting that Jesus is the King of the Jews (Matthew 27:37), and came to earth for the Jews ONLY (Matthew 15:24).  Therefore, I have to ask you in what branch of Judaism of today do you follow? Reform, Orthodox or Conservative, or one of the many sects?   Remember, a Christian is defined as a follower of Jesus who was Jewish, therefore to continue in following Jesus you have to be a Jew." 

BEGIN:

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
A GOD PRINCIPLE is the surest thing...Whether that be a chance thing or a purposeful thing......But more than likely, not the beardy Caucasian of Orthodox iconography.

Not matter how much you espouse the "Ultimate reality", the image of the Orthodox God is still a beardy bloke.

An ultimate reality/GOD principle could be anything...An infinite beardy bloke, a big boom, the accumulation of all necessary knowledge etc etc.

So why would an omni-sensible universal GOD only be conducive to an Orthodox style of ritual?.....A somewhat narrow minded GOD it would seem.

In fact, why would an omni-sensible GOD feel the need to be worshipped at all?

I would suggest that the need to worship the unknowable, has simply become something of a silly human habit.... As humans are far from omni-sensible.

If there is a Orthodox style GOD out there somewhere, I expect that it finds us quite amusing.

Nonetheless, what you enjoy doing as your chosen pastime in your chosen club, is fine by me, as long as it remains harmless to others.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
We don't believe God is a beardy bloke in the sky. That's silly.

You don't know what worshipping God actually looks like. 

Religion is for people, not God.

But I can't speak at length. I will be in transit all day, and by tomorrow I will be starting my novitiate.

Our religion is Truth worship. It is a reasonable worship. What does Truth worship mean? It doesn't mean making lipservice to God, dancing, singing, and performing rituals. It means living life in a manner consistent with loving The Truth over one's own ego. To put aside self will to life a life that glorifies God. To be a living icon of Truth in a world that does not love The Truth