I do APDA

Speaking times are:

PMC: 7:30
LOC: 8:30
MG: 8:30
MO: 8:30
LOR: 4:30
PMR: 5:30

PM and MG are Gov, LO and MO are Opp. Rebuttal (R) speeches cannot make new arguments, and if they do you can call them out by calling a point of order.

PM gives a regular constructive, LO gives counter points as well as rebuttal, MG and MO are both just rebuttal and defense, then LOR and PMR wrap up the debate

You learn the topic 15 minutes before the debate begins and write your case within that 15 minutes, you use mainly logical warrants
Not terribly different from NPDA (basically, just take away the half minute extras and the times are the same). Just going to add a few things about what makes this different from other styles of debate:

You might note the lack of CX periods. They're replaced by the ability to ask questions during debate rounds (we'll need some way for people to indicate a question without being seen if they don't want their cameras on). There are limitations there as well, though, as you can only ask questions after the first minute and before the last minute of someone's speech, and they have to take your question (usually, a brisk "not at this time" will work for questions you don't want to take).

The MG and MO speeches can add something new to the debate (maybe that's just NPDA - APDA might have a stronger rules against that), though it's generally frowned upon to add a lot, given that they're the second speeches (and especially the MO because they're part of a 13 minute bloc of speeches that the PMR will have to address in 5 and a half minutes). Still, during prep periods, I'll usually partition arguments a bit, giving more to the first speaker and something substantial (but usually small) to the second.

There may or may not be any value in a debate, depending on how the debaters seek to handle it. Usually that's topic-dependent (some scream value debate while others are more policy or fact oriented). We could talk about this a lot, but suffice it to say that I don't believe there are that many topics that are slated into one of these three categories so securely that it can't move around at all.

Usually not a lot of quoting in this style of debate. You can only take notes that you've taken down during the prep period into the debate with you, and 15 minutes isn't enough time to take down big block quotes, so while you can cite someone, there's usually a limited amount of that on the basis that we can't really check your work. Some people do just straight up lie, but that's pretty rare and frowned upon.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Speedrace
I'll need to get back to you on times.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@whiteflame
You might note the lack of CX periods. They're replaced by the ability to ask questions during debate rounds (we'll need some way for people to indicate a question without being seen if they don't want their cameras on). There are limitations there as well, though, as you can only ask questions after the first minute and before the last minute of someone's speech, and they have to take your question (usually, a brisk "not at this time" will work for questions you don't want to take).
Yep, do you guys call them POIs too?

The MG and MO speeches can add something new to the debate (maybe that's just NPDA - APDA might have a stronger rules against that), though it's generally frowned upon to add a lot, given that they're the second speeches (and especially the MO because they're part of a 13 minute bloc of speeches that the PMR will have to address in 5 and a half minutes). Still, during prep periods, I'll usually partition arguments a bit, giving more to the first speaker and something substantial (but usually small) to the second.
APDA allows it, it's called MG spikes or MO dumps if they add a ton of new stuff but is perfectly legal

There may or may not be any value in a debate, depending on how the debaters seek to handle it. Usually that's topic-dependent (some scream value debate while others are more policy or fact oriented). We could talk about this a lot, but suffice it to say that I don't believe there are that many topics that are slated into one of these three categories so securely that it can't move around at all.
We never really did "values" in APDA, individual debaters will just give framing on what the most important issues are regardless of the topic
Bugsy460
Debates: 4
Bugsy460
-->
@whiteflame
@Speedrace
@MisterChris
I'll create a  new forum post and I'll base it on NPDA (actually just went to it this weekend). In the post, I'll give all the rules that will be helpful, as well as, it'll be a place to sign up for the round. When we get at least four competitors and an odd number of judges/moderators, We can then use Discord to find a time that works for all.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Speedrace
Yep, do you guys call them POIs too?
We do indeed, same with BP.

APDA allows it, it's called MG spikes or MO dumps if they add a ton of new stuff but is perfectly legal
Yup, sounds about the same as with NPDA and BP. There's usually more of a focus in BP on adding something new in the MG/MO speeches, but that's because they're before the halfway point.

We never really did "values" in APDA, individual debaters will just give framing on what the most important issues are regardless of the topic
Yeah, it comes up in NPDA, but not super often. Most debates are policy, but I've had a few fact debates here and there and a handful of value debates, and most of those (both fact and value) are done poorly in NPDA. There's also a split among debaters and judges about the trichotomy (that certain topics are definitively policy, while others are value and still others are fact), which complicates things further.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Bugsy460
Sounds good. Happy to debate, but happy to judge as well.