will trump run and/or win in 2024? what's your prediction?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 37
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
He couldn't even get funding for a wall- his main campaign promise- when Republicans owned both houses of Congress.
yeah that was actually really funny. But to be fair, it was a stupid, stupid idea and a giant waste of money. The republican's are all for racism and xenophobia, but if they have to actually negotiate with democrats and exchange something for it, they are much happier focusing on getting more stuff for rich people instead. 

So, it is quite reasonable to see that if he can't even get support on that, there was no way in hell he could replace Obamacare with anything decent or end foreign wars when both parties' politicians support foreign wars.
to be fair, he made no attempt whatsoever to do anything about healthcare. He didn't make one single suggestion, let alone fight for it. And he is commander in chief. He could have ordered the troops home. The problem is when the war hawks (which he put in his own cabinet) pushed back, he caved. 

He didn't really start any new wars.
again, to be fair he did try to. He ordered an act of war on Iran and, by his own admission, called if off at the last minute. 

He used tariffs, albeit not always wisely, to defend manufacturing.
but that means absolutely nothing. You are saying he used a tool, but didn't accomplish anything. You might as well say he used a gun to pick his nose. at least that way he wouldn't have caused a bunch of damage, as he did to millions of americans with his tarriffs. 

Really, I think he was just incompetent. He always appointed people who didn't agree with any of his positions. He even had Bolton serving him for a hot second. He didn't coordinate tariffs with allies against China to stop IP theft. There were plenty of things he couldn't have done and a lot of things he could do that he didn't.
I 100% agree that incompetence played a large part in his presidency. But I don't think he really cared about most, if any, of his campaign promises. I think he cared about the parts that were good for him personally, like a huge tax cut for the rich, or improving relations with the saudis (who give trump lots of money). When it comes to anything that else, he just half assed it. 

I'm hoping they actually take the right message. They need to realize that just shilling for low taxes, mass immigration, and free trade for the rich is a losing strategy.
so far i'm not hopeful. Both because of how trump's presidency went and because of how things are going now. Trump is throwing his support behind anyone who will spread his lies and kiss his ass. People like marjorie taylor greene are being championed by trump even though she is a hateful lunatic who believes in evil jewish space lasers starting forest fires. Sadly, that is the future of trumpism. Cultish worship of trump while pushing insane conspiracies. 

But on the other hand, it cripples the right. No one will be able to survive on the right without kissing trump's ass and going along with his lies and insanity or they will be primaried. But the majority of americans don't want policians who are so obviously insane or evil (like greene). So it further destroys the right wing coalition. Which is good for the country. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
he wont but he will still influence the election
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
yeah that was actually really funny. But to be fair, it was a stupid, stupid idea and a giant waste of money. The republican's are all for racism and xenophobia, but if they have to actually negotiate with democrats and exchange something for it, they are much happier focusing on getting more stuff for rich people instead. 

I'd have to disagree there. Walls work. They aren't all you need. You need patrols as well and other technology, but a wall is a crucial part of border defense. And putting up defenses to help keep unwanted individuals out of your country isn't a bad idea. 

Furthermore, most Republicans roll over on any issue whenever they are called "racist". They have no balls and only care about popularity.

to be fair, he made no attempt whatsoever to do anything about healthcare. He didn't make one single suggestion, let alone fight for it. And he is commander in chief. He could have ordered the troops home. The problem is when the war hawks (which he put in his own cabinet) pushed back, he caved. 

Yeah, he did cave. I don't know why he put so many imbeciles in his cabinet that probably convinced him to work against his promises. I was always struggling to determine if he lied or is just a political idiot. I try to hope it is the latter. A lot of people blame his son-in-law Kushner. Not sure how much merit there is to that.

but that means absolutely nothing. You are saying he used a tool, but didn't accomplish anything. You might as well say he used a gun to pick his nose. at least that way he wouldn't have caused a bunch of damage, as he did to millions of americans with his tarriffs. 

He brought China to the bargaining table. I'm not sure what happened to that bill now that Biden is in office. I was more concerned that he used it on allies and pissed them off. He used them well in terms of making Mexico keep illegal immigrants from traveling across their country to the US. He failed in other respects. He didn't really use them as part of a coherent strategy, which I again blame on him not being particularly politically competent.

so far i'm not hopeful. Both because of how trump's presidency went and because of how things are going now. Trump is throwing his support behind anyone who will spread his lies and kiss his ass. People like marjorie taylor greene are being championed by trump even though she is a hateful lunatic who believes in evil jewish space lasers starting forest fires. Sadly, that is the future of trumpism. Cultish worship of trump while pushing insane conspiracies. 

But on the other hand, it cripples the right. No one will be able to survive on the right without kissing trump's ass and going along with his lies and insanity or they will be primaried. But the majority of americans don't want policians who are so obviously insane or evil (like greene). So it further destroys the right wing coalition. Which is good for the country. 
Well I'm not sure anti-business policies, mass immigration, and promotion of degeneracy are good for the country, but based on our previous discussions, I'm sure we will have to agree to disagree on that.

I'm somewhat surprised by the cult worship but also not really surprised. He was really the last hope for a dying America, so people clung too hard to him. He proposed a lot of good policies, but it is seeming more and more every day that most Americans are too uninformed to stick behind a platform of ideas and really only care about one or two issues. So, we'll probably end up with the old free trade GOP and die out for the next 30-40 years.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
I'd have to disagree there. Walls work. They aren't all you need. You need patrols as well and other technology, but a wall is a crucial part of border defense.
no one disagrees with that. That was never in question. But there were already miles and miles of fencing along the border. The areas that needed a wall already had one. So trump's "wall" rhetoric was just stupidity and xenophobia. He wanted people to believe that hordes of evil mexicans were streaming across the border unchecked and that a wall would save us. But that is just stupid. 

And putting up defenses to help keep unwanted individuals out of your country isn't a bad idea. 
but spending billions and billions putting walls in the middle of no where and doing no good is a very bad idea. That is what trump was advocating. 

Furthermore, most Republicans roll over on any issue whenever they are called "racist". They have no balls and only care about popularity.
lol, if that were true they wouldn't dog whistle racism. Yet they do it all the time. 

Yeah, he did cave. I don't know why he put so many imbeciles in his cabinet that probably convinced him to work against his promises. I was always struggling to determine if he lied or is just a political idiot. I try to hope it is the latter. A lot of people blame his son-in-law Kushner. Not sure how much merit there is to that.
I'm certain trump is an idiot. But you don't fill your cabinet with people who are dead set against the policies you claim to be for if you are actually for them. You'd have to be a drooling imbecile to do that. It is far more likely he simply never cared about those issues. Then appointing people opposed to his campaign promises makes perfect sense. 

He brought China to the bargaining table.
what does that even mean? nothing changed. 

I was more concerned that he used it on allies and pissed them off... He didn't really use them as part of a coherent strategy, which I again blame on him not being particularly politically competent.
that isn't just politically incompetent. That is just incompetent. A successful businessman would know how to set a goal, make a plan and then execute it. Trump started using tariffs pretty much at random. And the end result was that he did more harm than good. 

He was really the last hope for a dying America, so people clung too hard to him. 
The KKK certainly think so. 

He proposed a lot of good policies, but it is seeming more and more every day that most Americans are too uninformed to stick behind a platform of ideas and really only care about one or two issues.
strongly disagree. He campaigned on some good policies. Once he entered office, it was pretty uniformly shitty policies that came from his government. You can choose to believe that is because he was too weak and stupid to control his own government, but either way he was a shitty president. 

So, we'll probably end up with the old free trade GOP and die out for the next 30-40 years.
I kind of doubt it honestly. Trump still wields alot of power, and he is a petulant child. He will reward anyone who is willing to kiss his boots. So whoever grovels hard enough, will get his endorsement. Sadly, it is looking like marjorie taylor greene and people like her are the future of the republican party. And while it is sad that insanity is going to take over a major political party. It will absolutely destroy the republicans ability to win elections outside of deep red states. 
Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
Trump just came out and basically said yes, but I wouldn't take him seriously. He basically hinted he would run for the 4 prior elections leading up to the 2016 one, and did run another time for an independent party that everyone forgets about. It will be interesting if both him and pence run against each other so we can see some valid criticism of trump's actions in office as opposed to just reactionary hyperbole.
Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
-->
@HistoryBuff
This is funny. You basically said you agreed that a wall was needed for border security and then decided that being pro wall was somehow xenophobic. Are you admitting to being xenophobic or is this cognitive dissonance?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Bringerofrain
You basically said you agreed that a wall was needed for border security and then decided that being pro wall was somehow xenophobic.
You appear to have misunderstood what I said. Fencing along a border makes sense. But that already existed before trump ever said he would run for president. This was built under Bush and Obama. Trump campaigned on building a wall that already existed pretty well everywhere that one would be useful. The only reason to campaign on building even more fencing, is because you want to scare/appeal to xenophobes who are so afraid/hateful of immigrants that they will sign up for any policy targeting them, even if it makes no sense and would waste a huge amount of money. "The wall" that trump was campaigning on served no real world purpose. It was a symbol and dog whistle for racists. 

Fencing in and of itself is not a problem. Spending billions and billions on fencing in the middle of nowhere where it will serve no purpose just to appeal to rednecks and racists, that definitely is a problem.