Total: 322
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
I think people have a right to control their own bodies to an extent,
There are no part-time rights.

So can I use my body as a deadly weapon to kill another person, or should I control the use of it?
I answered that question in our debate.

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
In that case, you are allowing your understanding of a particular subject to interfere with your understanding of logic. The laws of logic work the same regardless of the subject (provided it is not self-contradictory).   - in response to this post.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
I puzzle how you build morality on biology (what is) and get objective values (what ought to be). Are you aware of Hume's is to ought problem?
I am familiar with it, but I'm not convinced it is a problem.  If it is, then I'm not convinced any view has a legitimate answer.
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
I think people have a right to control their own bodies to an extent,
There are no part-time rights.

So can I use my body as a deadly weapon to kill another person, or should I control the use of it?
I answered that question in our debate.
Wow! That was a quick fourth round. (^8
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
Why does a mindless process build into itself instinct, and instinct to live? It just happens. No reason. Those who survive have instinct and those who do not survive lack the instinct. So what? How does that make anything good? Is it good to survive in a meaningless universe that does not care about you and won't when you serve your pointless, meaningless existence?
You see it clearly enough - "It just happens. No reason. Those who survive have instinct and those who do not survive lack the instinct."

There is no need to invent the superfluous notion of 'good'   If a species or a society thrives then is it because it has effective instincts,  not because they ''possess goodness' or 'nearer to God'!

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
Wow! That was a quick fourth round. (^8
😅😉
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@PGA2.0
Show us it did and it is not your presumption instead of ours.
Both Ethan and you have been shown many times the science behind the universe and our origins so this is not about showing anything, that has already been done. The problem here is that both you Ethan don't actually want to see it, you already have your religious based answers from the Bible, so it's always been a complete waste of time to present the science and have the both of you dismiss it out of hand. We can even see the ignorance and bias in Ethans words....

It is illogical to think that a meaningless universe based on chance
Notice that Ethan assumes, based on his religious beliefs, that the existence of universe must have meaning, so he believes the universe popped into existence because some invisible super being waved his magic hand. The childish reasoning of such a answer doesn't fit with any of the observations in the adult world of logic and reason, so we hear these stupid questions that are little more than personal incredulity on the part of the believer who rejects the science.

There's plenty of material out there for you to study, but you won't do it, so why should anyone answer such idiotic questions?

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0

It does seem to be a game of pretending for them, doesn't it? (^8
Oh dear this coming from someone who pretends to have an invisible friend. Bwuahahahahahahaha
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
My you use the word "pretend" a lot, must be something you are used to eh?

disgusted
disgusted
@ET
You can't even bring up your pathetic fantasies any more because I mock and ridicule your childish stories and you are left with nothing, Poor thing.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
Bye bye Disgusting, talk to ya in a year or so lol. Have fun with your mocking. 
disgusted
disgusted
@ET
Have fun with your mocking. 
You have no idea how much I do and whats funnier is the pathetic reactions I elicit from you and your insignificant associates. You lose at all times.
disgusted
disgusted
@ET
The ET response to everything........................run away in fear
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
Thus we, as humans, can understand God and know Him in as much as He has revealed Himself, and we can experience His reality in our life through prayer and faith/trust. Providentially He guides the believer. He confirms who He is via His word and via His creation. Because you don't want to accept this is not my problem. It is an issue between you and the God you deny and pretend is make-believe. There is nothing I could ever do to convince you because WHATEVER I say you will find a way to oppose it. Thus, it is futile in dialoguing with you. Your mind is made up and may heaven help you. If God is willing this will happen. Otherwise, enjoy your life and stop worrying until the big day. For you, it is all meaningless in the end yet you constantly seek meaning while denying it really matters. Thus, you are inconsistent to what you ultimately believe. So be it!

Everything you believe is based entirely on the ideas, imagination and superstitions of ignorant, primitive, superstitious savages.(IPSS) Those same people claim that the Jewish nation was enslaved in Egypt for four hundred years and yet the Egyptians, who recorded almost everything failed to even mention that 400yrs of their alleged history, why would you believe those IPSS? They claim that a worldwide flood deeper than Mt Everest is high devastated the world and wiped out nearly all living things, why would you believe those IPSS? They claim that 4million people and livestock wandered around a small desert for forty years and there is no history of that ever occurring and there is not a skeric of evidence to be found of any human occupation of that desert, why would you believe those IPSS? All gods are the creations of man. It's you who is obsessed and worried by a big day that has zero chance of happening, I know that when I die there will be nothing and I will be totally oblivious to that fact because I'll be dead just like every living thing that ever evolved on this planet is eventually dead. Your abject fear of death is just so pitiable and it dominates what can be a beautiful life. But breaking free of your indoctrination in stupid fear takes quite some courage, courage that you are indoctrinated to suppress. Good luck with your fear, it has ruined your life, why don't you let others find the joy that exists in a real life and keep your indoctrinated nonsense to yourself.
Everything you believe is funneled through a secular worldview that can't make sense of itself. Talk about indoctrination. The Christian worldview can make sense of morality, existence, and origins. I'll take God's word over yours every time. Where prophecy can be confirmed by history it matches the biblical revelation. 

I have hope and certainty for a future after I physically die. I have a reason for meaning and reason for why things matter.

You have nothing from your worldview perspective. What is more, you continue to spend hours upon hours arguing morals and meaning when there is none. Why are you wasting your time? It doesn't matter. You delude yourself. Nothing matters. Why are you making it matter? AND, why do you continue to find meaning in a meaningless universe?

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
The law of non-contradiction applies to all logical categories. You can pluck ice cream out of the example and insert moral view X and the analogy is still applicable. I'm not sure I understand what you are even objecting to. We should easily agree on this.
You are making something that is, the like of ice-cream, something that should or ought to be if you bring morality into the equation because morality deals with right and wrong, not what you like. The two are separate categories. One is a description - I like ice-cream, the other is a prescription - you must not eat Joe's foot because Joe is a person and we don't eat people. Ice-cream is good is a subjective preference. It is subject to your likes. Eating your neighbor is wrong because it is a moral ought, not a preference. It applies to all people, not just you. One is a personal taste - I like, the other is a moral right or wrong - eating Joe's foot is wrong because Joe is a person. 

In that case, you are allowing your understanding of a particular subject to interfere with your understanding of logic. The laws of logic work the same regardless of the subject (provided it is not self-contradictory).   - in response to this post.
You'll have to explain what you are talking about. I'm not following. 

Is your subjective preference of ice-cream the same as your like of eating human beings? One is a personal taste, the other is a moral wrong. Is eating ice-cream the same thing as eating people?

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
I puzzle how you build morality on biology (what is) and get objective values (what ought to be). Are you aware of Hume's is to ought problem?
I am familiar with it, but I'm not convinced it is a problem.  If it is, then I'm not convinced any view has a legitimate answer.

Why do you not see it as a problem?

And if it is, then why would no view have a legitimate answer?

My view is that a natural view where empiricism is all there is definitely can't make sense of morality. 
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
Why does a mindless process build into itself instinct, and instinct to live? It just happens. No reason. Those who survive have instinct and those who do not survive lack the instinct. So what? How does that make anything good? Is it good to survive in a meaningless universe that does not care about you and won't when you serve your pointless, meaningless existence? 
You see it clearly enough - "It just happens. No reason. Those who survive have instinct and those who do not survive lack the instinct." 
Seeing is believing, right? How do you see the laws of logic? Are they physical? Without them, you could not make sense of anything. 

You say, "It just happens - no reason," yet here you are supposedly making sense of it. Those who have instinct through with no reason why they should; they survive? 

There is no need to invent the superfluous notion of 'good'   If a species or a society thrives then is it because it has effective instincts,  not because they ''possess goodness' or 'nearer to God'!

Unless there is a God there is no good. At least you have that right! BUT, you can't live without a moral right. If I steal your wallet, without God, you may not like it but what significance is your like or preference? Society 'thriving' is a matter of subjective opinion. Again you base thriving on those who survive. Kim Jong-un is thriving, meanwhile, a huge segment of his population is starving and suffering. Those IN POWER thrive while massive chunks of their populations suffer in many societies. That is the problem unless there is an objective measure - who determines thriving (those who survive by eliminating the opposition?). You, as a nihilist and secularist, do not have an objective standard or measure. Why should I believe what you are pedaling?  

There is no reason, for unless there is a necessary Being or opinion means nothing (nihilistic) in the long-term.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
Show us it did and it is not your presumption instead of ours.
Both Ethan and you have been shown many times the science behind the universe and our origins so this is not about showing anything, that has already been done. The problem here is that both you Ethan don't actually want to see it, you already have your religious based answers from the Bible, so it's always been a complete waste of time to present the science and have the both of you dismiss it out of hand. We can even see the ignorance and bias in Ethans words....
@ Goldtop:

No, we have not. We have been shown scientism where origins are concerned. What happens is people look at the DATA from the past through the spectrum of the present and determine the likelihood of 'theories' by what confirms and what denies their presuppositions. The problem is that you do not want to see this because you base your answers on a humanistic, secular natural, thought pattern which is fleeting and changing. Let me know when you get to certainty, will you?

It is illogical to think that a meaningless universe based on chance
Notice that Ethan assumes, based on his religious beliefs, that the existence of universe must have meaning, so he believes the universe popped into existence because some invisible super being waved his magic hand. The childish reasoning of such a answer doesn't fit with any of the observations in the adult world of logic and reason, so we hear these stupid questions that are little more than personal incredulity on the part of the believer who rejects the science.

We see and find meaning in the universe, besides our own moral thoughts. We can find reasons for things. Why would a meaningless universe give meaning for us to discover? Are we just making it up or does it really exist? Christians have the Bible as our checkpoint, you have secular scientism. You must be an empiricist if you think observations (what can be verified by the five senses) provide the answer. Reason and logic are not empirical in their nature. Grab hold of the laws of logic and let me taste one, will you? 

They may be stupid to you because you confess ignorance regarding God, but I don't see you making sense of the universe or morality or existence. You CAN'T.

Why would I believe you?

There's plenty of material out there for you to study, but you won't do it, so why should anyone answer such idiotic questions?

Same old, same old. You will spend your whole life sifting through it and still be no further ahead. You still won't be where we are. And what was the reason you did it??? None, ultimately. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
Everything you believe is funneled through a secular worldview that can't make sense of itself. Talk about indoctrination. The Christian worldview can make sense of morality, existence, and origins. I'll take God's word over yours every time. Where prophecy can be confirmed by history it matches the biblical revelation. 
My worldview makes perfect sense, I have nothing to be indoctrinated with and no one to be indoctrinated by. The IPSS are only capable of passing on their ignorance, not knowledge of morality, existence or origins. They concocted fairy tales that sufficed to them as knowledge, those fairy tales are no longer considered to be knowledge. You don't have any god's word for anything, all you have are the words of IPSS. Your prophecy is confirmed by IPSS and is therefore meaningless.
I have hope and certainty for a future after I physically die. I have a reason for meaning and reason for why things matter
You have an unrelenting, childish fear of death and you use fairy tales to pacify that fear. Look at what you just wrote, you desperately don't want to believe in death and yet it is just a natural consequence of evolving on this planet. Get over it.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
You are indoctrinated with fear.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0

Those IN POWER thrive while massive chunks of their populations suffer in many societies. That is the problem unless there is an objective measure - who determines thriving (those who survive by eliminating the opposition?). You, as a nihilist and secularist, do not have an objective standard or measure. Why should I believe what you are pedaling?  
North Korea demonstrates that there is no 'cosmic' or 'abstract force of/for good'.   NK is as it is because kim wants it that way and he posesses power that you and I - who would like things otherwise - do not; thus it is kim's will - not yours - that obtains.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser

Those IN POWER thrive while massive chunks of their populations suffer in many societies. That is the problem unless there is an objective measure - who determines thriving (those who survive by eliminating the opposition?). You, as a nihilist and secularist, do not have an objective standard or measure. Why should I believe what you are pedaling?  
North Korea demonstrates that there is no 'cosmic' or 'abstract force of/for good'.   NK is as it is because kim wants it that way and he posesses power that you and I - who would like things otherwise - do not; thus it is kim's will - not yours - that obtains.

Try living in an oppressive society like that as oppressed instead of the oppressor and see it as good. You can't. You can say it is something that you don't like until you are put in that position. Then it is a definite wrong. Your worldview is unlivable. It is inconsistent. If you think not, go live in NK and try and put your ideas forth. That is when the rubber hits the road. That is when you know it is wrong.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
You have experience of NK?
Let's be clear what we agree and disagree.    We agree most  normal people consider the NK regime to be odious.   My position is that is because most people's brains are wired-up to dislike totalitarian regimes.  you think it's because totalitarianism is mixed up with abstract etherial stuff called evil.