Why I think Spacetime fabric makes no sense

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 21
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
R2d598a0ab459c363b4e3b2a21f534b03 (800×611) (bing.com) shows that the spacetime fabric is below earth by approximately .4*the radius of earth (about 1500 km).  So this would mean that anything that is 1500 km below earth in the picture would cause a hole in the space time continuum.  This would mean that since the moon orbits earth at an 11 degree tilt, it means that anytime the moon goes below earth relative to the north pole would mean that the moon breaks a hole in the space time continuum.  It would also mean that if you launch a rocket from Antarctica and it gets a far enough distance away from earth, then that rocket would make a hole in the space time continuum.  If you launch a rocket from the north pole, you won't get this.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
nope!
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
What do you mean?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
That image is showing how gravity affects other objects - this is because objects with enough mass will impact the fabric of spacetime, this is what gravity is. It is simply showing the path that something would be attracted to the earth by.

This would mean that since the moon orbits earth at an 11 degree tilt, it means that anytime the moon goes below earth relative to the north pole would mean that the moon breaks a hole in the space time continuum. 
No... the moon is orbiting the earth BECAUSE OF how the earth's mass affects the fabric. The two are not independent factors, they are directly linked, which means that the shape of the fabric of space is dependent on the objects which lie on it. 

Considering the following: IF we were to rotate the image on it's side, then the moon would be orbiting the earth's "pole". The reason why it doesn't usually is because of how a spheroid impacts a flat blanket, which is how this image is simplified, consider four people are holding a blanket loosely. You drop a bowling ball in the center of the blanket. The "poles" or "bottom" of the bowling ball is what impacts the fabric. Thus the moon can't orbit the earth as you are speculating.

It would also mean that if you launch a rocket from Antarctica and it gets a far enough distance away from earth, then that rocket would make a hole in the space time continuum.  If you launch a rocket from the north pole, you won't get this.
That is incorrect. You see the "fabric of space" isn't two-dimensional. It is actually four-dimensional, add in z-axis there. It is not a fabric per say, that is simply an analogy used to explain it to people who don't understand it quite.

"A rubber sheet is two dimensional, while space-time is four dimensional. It's not just warps in space that the sheet represents, but also warps in time. The complex equations used to account for all of this are tricky for even physicists to work with. " [LINK]

Think about it kind of like this, the "fabric of space" is more like an "ocean of spacetime". Its a bit less intuitive so follow along, please, whenever a bowling ball is placed into the "ocean" water is displaced, and the displacement of the water forms the same pattern of gravity that the curves in a blanket would make. You see the space moves in accordance to objects with mass, not the other way around, therefore the spacetime would make the pattern around the rocket, that is because anything with mass has gravity. Hopefully this explains things for you.

oromagi
oromagi
You are applying 3rd dimensional physics to a two dimensional representation of a fourth dimensional phenomenon.  It's like looking at a map and wondering why Panama doesn't collapse under the weight of North America.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@oromagi
precisely, and ironically more concisely than I explained, lol
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@TheUnderdog
Yeah, so that image is just a way to visualize how relativity models gravity in a general sense, that being gravity as a bending of spacetime. You cannot infer mathematical specifics of the strength of gravity from that image for that reason: it's just a visual/conceptual aid, and not an exact diagram of exactly how much earth bends spacetime.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
You are applying 3rd dimensional physics to a two dimensional representation of a fourth dimensional phenomenon.
Isn't our universe 3rd dimensional?  Gravity isn't solely determined by surface area, but is determined by the following formula:

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
Our universe is four-dimensional: the regular three dimensions and time

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@TheUnderdog
I'm bad at physics but I think the current popular consensus is that our universe exists within ten or eleven dimensions
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Spacetime Fabric is a theoretical corruption of three words.....And only occurs as imagery on a computer screen....And as such makes representational sense.

In reality there is no such thing as Spacetime fabric....Just a Universe containing matter, seemingly bound by physical laws....Therefore, things occur as they do.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
In reality there is no such thing as Spacetime fabric....
False. There is and it is Gravity (  ) and Dark Energy )( which are diametric opposite curvatures of a torus an more specifically my numerical, spiral/helixed and two poles of inversion at each peak of curvature. peak >(   )< peak >(   )< Peak

Just a Universe containing matter,
Fermionic matter and bosinic forces

Seemingly bound by physical laws....Therefore, things occur as they do.
False.   Occupied space is comlpemented by involate, cosmic, physical laws/principles.

Conatractive { mass-atracitive } Gravity (  ) space fabric, contains/embraces are fermionic matter and bosonic forces.

Dark Energy )( space fabric repulses { expands } space between some fermionic matter and bosonic forces.

Eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied space, surrounds/embraces our eternally existent, finite, occupied space Universe aka Uni-V-erse.

Eternal cycling of two terminal ending times of our universe, wtih each terminal ending time being entropic thermal equlibirum  (<>S*t<>)

(  ) = Gravitational boundary of finite Universe

<> = entropic thermal equilibrium

S = occupied Space

* = quantum event observer as otherness, clock, consciousness  ---twoness is mininmal set for otherness ergo awareness of and other----

t = relative time

T =  ->> Arrow-of-Time ->>

What I attempt to present in following is expanding Universe two terminal ending points-of-view that are believed to be what has existed and will exist in future Universe

(<>S*t<>) ->  ((S*t)) ->> (           ST               (        ST         (     ST   (     ST   (  (S*t)    ST    )        ST       )          ST         )              ST                 ) ->> (<>S*t<>) ->> 

S*t is threeness set occupied Space and  awareness of occupied Spacer  and the background against which occupied Space, * { quantum } event observer and relative time.

LINK to Roger Penrose Conformal Cosmological Cyclic Universe where some of the above is considered known facts. Ex entropic thermal equillibrium initiating terminal point-of-view at two places in the ->>Arrow-of-Time->> of Universe's existent.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
I'm bad at physics but I think the current popular consensus is that our universe exists within ten or eleven dimensions
What are the other 8 dimensions?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
Time isn't a dimension as the quarks in this universe last forever.  If something is 3m tall, after 3 m, it wouldn't exist anymore.  The quarks in this universe last forever.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
Time is indeed a dimension

The fabric of space-time is a conceptual model combining the three dimensions of space with the fourth dimension of time. According to the best of current physical theories, space-time explains the unusual relativistic effects that arise from traveling near the speed of light as well as the motion of massive objects in the universe. 
You are simply factually incorrect.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@TheUnderdog
The 11th dimension is a characteristic of space-time that has been proposed as a possible answer to questions that arise in superstring theory. The theory of superstrings involves the existence of nine dimensions of space and one dimension of time (a total of 10 dimensions). According to this notion, we observe only three spatial dimensions and one time dimension because the other six spatial dimensions are "curled up" or "compactified."
According to superstring theory, all of the elementary particles in the universe are composed of vibrating, one-dimensional mathematical objects known as strings. The theory does not explicitly state what the strings are made of or where they come from; rather, they are proposed as geometric ideals. Each string has a length of only 10^-35 meters, many times smaller than the diameter of the nucleus of an atom. Any given subatomic particle (or hadron) is made of a string that vibrates and rotates at the speed of light. A particular hadron gets its unique identity from the manner in which the string rotates and vibrates according to the dynamics of Einstein's theory of general relativity. The frequency of vibration corresponds to the mass of the particle.

ebuc
ebuc

....above is considered known facts. Ex entropic thermal equillibrium initiating terminal point-of-view at two places in the ->>Arrow-of-Time->> of Universe's existent.....
Correction, entropic thermal equilibrium at either terminal end of cyclic Universe, is not a fact. Rather it is presumed to be what occurs, based on most cosmologist understanding of Universe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied space, surrounds/embraces our eternally existent, finite, occupied space Universe aka Uni-V-erse.

Eternal cycling of two terminal ending times of our universe, wtih each terminal ending time being entropic thermal equlibirum  (<>S*t<>)

(  ) = Gravitational boundary of finite Universe

<> = entropic thermal equilibrium

S = occupied Space

* = quantum event observer as otherness, clock, consciousness  ---twoness is mininmal set for otherness ergo awareness of and other----

t = relative time

T =  ->> Arrow-of-Time ->>

What I attempt to present in following is expanding Universe two terminal ending points-of-view that are believed to be what has existed and will exist in future Universe

(<>S*t<>) ->  ((S*t)) ->> (           ST               (        ST         (     ST   (     ST   (  (S*t)    ST    )        ST       )          ST         )              ST                 ) ->> (<>S*t<>) ->> 

S*t is threeness set occupied Space and  awareness of occupied Spacer  and the background against which occupied Space, * { quantum } event observer and relative time.

LINK to Roger Penrose Conformal Cosmological Cyclic Universe where some of the above is considered known facts. Ex entropic thermal equillibrium initiating terminal point-of-view at two places in the ->>Arrow-of-Time->> of Universe's existent.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
As presented.... True.

Spacetime fabric is a theoretical representation of the universal interaction of matter.

And what you suggest, may or may not be relatively correct.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
@Theweakeredge.

Time is indeed a dimension.... Depends how one chooses to define dimension.

Time is regarded as a dimension, alongside and relative to, the 3 dimensional possibilities of space and the presence of matter therein....Which affords matter the possibility of event with duration.

Any other hypothetical dimensions are just that, and do not impinge upon the basic realities and possibilities (facts) of Time and Space.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
And what you suggest, may or may not be relatively correct.
Bosoninc forces are fact.  I see you mention matter but rarely if ever bosons ergo bosonic forces i.e. you leave out some significant facts.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheUnderdog
.......................................Space( time ) i ( time )Space...................................

..........................................Space( S*t ) i ( S*t )Space.......................................

..........................................Space( /\/\/ ) i ( /\/\/ )Space...............................

..........................................Space( >*<) i (>*<)Space.....................................
In reference to the  above,

Space = macro-infinite non-occupied Space, outside of finite, occupied Space Universe,

i = Metaphysical-1{ spirit-1 } self-identiy as ego,

S*t = Space { occupied Space }  via observer event that observes or has indirect knowledge of relationship withtin context of relative time periods i.e. relativity in regards to our occupied Space physical/reality

/\/\/ = sine-wave pattern associations to occupied Space fermions and bosons or any hybrid thereof,

>*< = inversions of from peak of positive and negative curvature of a individual tori that I believe compose every fermionic and bosonic particles of Universe. Again the * symbolizes and observer event of our occupied Space physical reality, that, can vary from simplest example of one half of twoness as awareness phenomena, to the most complex woman * * { /**\ }and less complex man * *  { *Y* }.

My Cosmic Trinary Outline ---as well as other threads Ive started here at DArt---  may have a broader set of information bits for you if you interested in more from me.

It is trinary turtles alll the way inward to gravition { truncated di-pyramind } that, I believe, is composed of a minimal circumferential/peripheral  9 { 3 * 3 } vertexial events and 15 { 3 * 5 }  lines of relationship. 

If there exists a internal spinal chord axis of the graviton then   the number of vertexes becomes 10, 11, 12 or 13 and,

18 circumferential ines-of-relationship plus a internal numerical value of lines-of-realtionships, that, I cannot recall off the top of head at the moment and varies depending on how many vertexial events we assign to any spina chord of the graviton.

Hope that helps you to better understand where I'm coming from.

P.S. in my numerical, spiral, helixex torus with inversion-outversions, I take note of the reultant and internal to the torus tube a numerical sine-wave pattern that ihas trinayr base as does all fermionic matter of Unvierse. Ex 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18...etc..36 and there exists 18 flavored quarks and 18 flavored anti-quarks.

When the fertilized egg inverts, three germ-layers are created, emdoderm-mesoderm- ectoderm.