Anthony Joshua VS Tyson Fury

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 11
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury - some of the most popular boxers from the UK today - apparently scheduled to have a match this December. I'm curious about what people think of this fight, I'll go into the basic styles of both boxer's and their records:

Anthony Joshua "AJ"
Total Bouts: 25
Wins: 24
KOs: 22
Losses: 1

Stance: Orthodox
Height: 6'6"
Reach: 82"

Basic Style:
AJ is a master at the fundamentals - he uses jabs with textbook efficiency, for offense (applying pressure) and for defense (creating distance). He's a patient fighter who waits for openings and goes in with extremely powerful hooks. Especially with his progressively lower weights in his most recent fights, he is able to bob and weave most punches, and he can effectively cut off the ring. AJ uses textbook offence to dominate the rounds, and his patient but ferocious power to finish his opponents.

Tyson Fury "The Gypsie King"
Total Bouts: 31
Wins: 30
KOS:  21
Losses: 0
Draws: 1

Stance: Orthodox
Height: 6'9"
Reach: 85"

Basic Style:
Tyson is... unpredictable, that's the best way to describe the heavyweight; however, one can pin down his best features - that most certainly being his defensive fighting. He has masterful leg movement and is a master feinter, that along with his huge reach and height advantage makes him one of the hardest boxers to hit consistently. He uses his unpredictable nature to keep his opponent on the backfoot, keep them thinking and not fighting - using his signature unpredictable nature he takes advantage and wins.

What do people think about this potential megafight? I'm very curious
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
What do you think?
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
I don't follow professional boxing very closely, but I think fury Is gonna have his number. You see heavy influence of AJ's origins in golden gloves in his approach to boxing. And while it has garnered him success, I think tyson fury is the more technical boxer.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I would have to disagree heavily, Tyson is too loose to stay to one technical style, in a recent fight he completely flipped and used a pressure-counter fighting style. Now, is he more creative with his boxing? Yes. AJ however, is just a better technical boxer, that's his bread and butter.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
  It's important to remember that technique is simply the efficient application of strength and athleticism. AJ's confinement to a one-dimensional boxing style (golden gloves) indicates to me that he does not possess the fluidity necessary to beat a guy that will switch it up on his opponent like fury. That lack of rigidity to a "style" is actually a great reason to expect his win, because he is more likely to adapt to his opponent. Especially if they have consistent, predictable patterns. 

So the most technical, is the one that's most efficient, and the most efficient style is fluid and adaptable.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I agree; however his "fluid" style makes consistent openings - I think AJ's fight IQ will take advantage of these openings, furthermore, I've noticed that Tyson tends to wear down his opponents - typically AJ can end a fight in a round - even without momentum. It's true that if Tyson can confuse and outmaneuver AJ he'll win, but if AJ spots consistent opening I expect Tyson to go down.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
There's a technique in high level striking called "drawing". It's when you purposefully leave an opening for your opponent to punch at, with a counter-strike already prepared. It's a common technique of counterpunchers (with the obvious drawbacks if you're too slow). So it isn't really fair for us to say he leaves himself open, therefore he is not technical. This technique is discussed briefly towards the end of "championship fighting, explosive punching and aggressive defense."

By fluidity, I mean a fighters ability to adjust his style and techniques in real time, in order to counter his opponent and win. Historically, the ability to adjust is all too often the deciding factor in a bout. (See stipe vs dc 2 (mma), and tony ferguson vs justin G. (Also mma)).

At the end of the day though, of course we just have to watch the right lol, but it is fun to theorize.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I am aware of drawing, and given Tyson's heavy favor for movement and feints, it certainly isn't possible - however I'm not talking about purposeful openings, I'm talking about the inevitable openings that are opened by the fact that Tyson flows between so many different styles and relies on feinting and movements for defense. 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yes, so movement is the "third" (behind blocking and parrying) and most advanced form of pure defense because it requires the highest level of skill to slip punches efficiently. But the reward is also the highest, as slipping invariably leaves the fighter in the best position to deal damaging blows. So it's a give an take. The ole 1-2 is super reliable, but advanced techniques work.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I would agree - I would say that Tyson has much more advanced technique, but the fundamental and basic technique employed by AJ is beautiful. Almost every single punch lands straight down the centerline, that's what gives him such hard combinations.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah AJ is super technical in the style of golden gloves, and centerline theory is great and all, but I just think tyson is probably gonna win this one. He's got more in his toolbox.