Why is politics so slow?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 38
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Unlike on the right, democrats actually believe that the pursuit of the best ideas and not fealty to one man or one party is how the government is supposed to work.
You misspelled "lobbies"

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
Wait this is the Democratic Party we’re talking about right
Yes. Have you ever heard a democrat call another democrat a DINO? That’s a republicans thing.

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Double_R
I think democrats should eliminate it,

So that when Republicans control government next, they have carte blanche to do whatever they want?  
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Danielle
So that when Republicans control government next, they have carte blanche to do whatever they want?  
Wouldn’t be the first time 🤷‍♂️
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
when Republicans control government
Every establishment Republican is set for life in Washington DC. They don't want the responsibility of control. Nobody does.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@ILikePie5
How does not wanting to change the filibuster rules make someone a DINO?

Does that mean Republicans who want to change the rules (like Donald Trump) are RINOs? 

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Danielle
I say yes. For the longest my position has been that the filibuster should be reformed to something like the way it used to be, and I’m still satisfied with that, but one day I realized... this country just too divided for it have any meaningful application. In today’s political climate the filibuster is nothing more than a tool for the minority to regain power by convincing voters that the majority party is dysfunctional and worthless, and it works because people don’t know or even care to know anything about process and why it matters.

I say fine, let the parties compete for the electorate with actual ideas. If republicans gain full control that would be horrible in my view, but let the American people see what they have to offer. I think after 4 years of having nothing but tax cuts for the rich and complaints about Dr. Seuss it’ll become real clear which party actually cares about working families.

Of course none of this matters unless one party gains control of all three legislative branches, which is relatively rare.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Double_R
I mostly agree. If the Democrats were smart, they would get rid of the filibuster after giving statehood to D.C. (and possibly Puerto Rico), solidifying voter enfranchisement, and ensuring the census quality is good enough to capture everyone properly. But they're not usually very savvy.